The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #21
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Man I was following the declining sales in the sales thread, but I didn't think Universe would be canceled so soon.

I guess sales really do matter. The main ongoing has only been hovering around 10,000 or so sales for the last couple of issues too, I hope this isn't a warning sign. I'd like IDW TMNT to continue after issue 100 if possible...
I imagine the main (and now only) ongoing would have to decline a lot more to be at risk of cancellation. In the 6,000-7,000 range, perhaps? No way it won't make it at least to #100, and that might help revitalize sales figures for a time.

At the very least, Universe is going out on its own terms and after completing a two-year run, which is a nice little milestone.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:53 AM   #22
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,160
The Nick animated comics were only selling around 5,000 copies each at the time they ended too, although they were going to end anyway when the main cartoon ended.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #23
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,367
At some point, if sales numbers keep falling, the team working on the main ongoing would have to be told "Look, guys, wrap it up, this isn't working for us anymore" and have time to come up with a suitable ending to the run. At least I hope so.

What I'm wondering now is what that point would be. 8,000? Somewhere in the 6,000-7,000 range like Universe was pushing?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:01 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,078
I wonder what would happen if the main IDW book did get cancelled. Would IDW have a Plan B?
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #25
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Not a different one every issue, no. I was thinking more along the lines of all of them at once and their little villainsies too.

"TMNT Secret Wars", basically, or a beefed-up version of Turtles Forever if you will.
Too many Turtle sets. What about IDW Turtles with allies and enemies of different iterations. Casey Jones from 1990 and 1993 films, Punk Frogs form the '87 cartoon, Man Ray from Archie, Silver Sentry from the 2003 cartoon,Ace Duck from the Playmates line, Nobody from Mirage sent to help the IDW Turtles.

Krang from 1987 cartoon, Armaggon form Archie, Rat King from 1987 cartoon, Leatherhead from 1987 cartoon, Slash from Archie, Dogpound from 2012 cartoon, Agent Bishop from 2003 cartoon, Baxter Stockman from Mirage with IDW's Shredder. Forced into conflict in a battle world of Kevin Eastman(subbing for Beyonder)'s creation.

A bit off topic, but I always wondered what characters would be involved in a DC version.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:02 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wonder what would happen if the main IDW book did get cancelled. Would IDW have a Plan B?
As long as they still have the license from Viacom/Nick, they could put out mini's still I suppose. It just wouldn't be a monthly comic anymore.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #27
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
At some point, if sales numbers keep falling, the team working on the main ongoing would have to be told "Look, guys, wrap it up, this isn't working for us anymore" and have time to come up with a suitable ending to the run. At least I hope so.

What I'm wondering now is what that point would be. 8,000? Somewhere in the 6,000-7,000 range like Universe was pushing?
While I was aware of the pending cancellation I wondered if it was just sales as a factor,but plot reasons for the change.
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 AM   #28
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Too many Turtle sets. What about IDW Turtles with allies and enemies of different iterations. Casey Jones from 1990 and 1993 films, Punk Frogs form the '87 cartoon, Man Ray from Archie, Silver Sentry from the 2003 cartoon,Ace Duck from the Playmates line, Nobody from Mirage sent to help the IDW Turtles.

Krang from 1987 cartoon, Armaggon form Archie, Rat King from 1987 cartoon, Leatherhead from 1987 cartoon, Slash from Archie, Dogpound from 2012 cartoon, Agent Bishop from 2003 cartoon, Baxter Stockman from Mirage with IDW's Shredder. Forced into conflict in a battle world of Kevin Eastman(subbing for Beyonder)'s creation.
You're only making it sound more appealing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
A bit off topic, but I always wondered what characters would be involved in a DC version.
DC has the potential to feature the most chaotic, confusing version of that concept ever attempted by any work of fiction.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:08 AM   #29
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
While I was aware of the pending cancellation I wondered if it was just sales as a factor,but plot reasons for the change.
The crew probably saw it coming for a long while too, and they've done such a good job of bookending the run that we'll be left to wonder about that forever unless a more in-depth statement (as opposed to a single line in a solicit) is released. Normally I'd say the need to tell more stories outside the limited scope of the main ongoing precludes that possibility, but who knows, really?
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:17 AM   #30
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master
 
MikeandRaph87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: JLA Satellite Headquarters
Posts: 7,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
You're only making it sound more appealing!



DC has the potential to feature the most chaotic, confusing version of that concept ever attempted by any work of fiction.
It needs to be different enough from Marvel's original event so its not a copycat,but it can work well. To add to it,Kevin was looking through character designs of the various versions and picking out what he liked best. Tom Waltz walks in and ask Kevin what he is doing only to reply, "watching a multi-dimensional Smash Up that he set up". Come on IDW, please read this concept!
__________________
Michelangelo: This looks like a job for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!
Raphael: Sheesh, Mikey this ain't a cartoon!

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #31
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I wonder what would happen if the main IDW book did get cancelled. Would IDW have a Plan B?
IDW's "Plan B" for would probably look similar to how they treat many of their other licenses. One or two minis per year, then a new ongoing once the sales are up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #32
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist
 
ChosenOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
It needs to be different enough from Marvel's original event so its not a copycat,but it can work well. To add to it,Kevin was looking through character designs of the various versions and picking out what he liked best. Tom Waltz walks in and ask Kevin what he is doing only to reply, "watching a multi-dimensional Smash Up that he set up". Come on IDW, please read this concept!
Two words: Battle Nexus!
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #33
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker
 
Utrommaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Back in Texas
Posts: 4,333
With that idea in mind, I've been thinking for a while that IDW Ch'rell working with 87 Krang would end up pretty funny.
"See Saki, he knows the meaning of loyalty!"
"Fine, but I'm keeping the nerve gas from the last one in case things go awry."
__________________
Decent Ch'rell avatar pending: September

To my DeviantArt
Utrommaniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:28 AM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
IDW's "Plan B" for would probably look similar to how they treat many of their other licenses. One or two minis per year, then a new ongoing once the sales are up.
Isn't that what they do with Ghostbusters?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 14,078
Yeah, "TMNT: Multiverse," with ongoing stories within for Mirage, Archie, and... maybe a third slot for a revolving door of different universes. Fred Wolf for a couple of issues, Platinum Dunes for a couple (like, something subversive), 2K3 for a couple, etc..
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #36
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Isn't that what they do with Ghostbusters?
Yup, pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, "TMNT: Multiverse," with ongoing stories within for Mirage, Archie, and... maybe a third slot for a revolving door of different universes. Fred Wolf for a couple of issues, Platinum Dunes for a couple (like, something subversive), 2K3 for a couple, etc..
Subverting PD like how? Revealing that the police only got chummy with the turtles, because they just wanted to make a giant pot of turtle soup?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #37
DrSpengler
TMNT Entity guy
 
DrSpengler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, "TMNT: Multiverse," with ongoing stories within for Mirage, Archie, and... maybe a third slot for a revolving door of different universes. Fred Wolf for a couple of issues, Platinum Dunes for a couple (like, something subversive), 2K3 for a couple, etc..
Pretty much if the 30th Anniversary Special could be an ongoing series. Personally, my major interest in those revolving multiverse stories would require IDW to reunite creative teams from the various incarnations. Let Murphy and Allan (or Mitchroney!) do the Archie stories. Let Lawson, Murphy, Dooney, Talbot, Brown, or Lavigne do the Mirage stories. If you're going to hit the cartoons, get show writers (Wise or Reaves for Fred Wolf, Isenberg or Johnson for 4Kids) and find artists who can capture the style of the animation...

Again, super niche and it'd probably be a pain and a half to coordinate and edit, but so long as we're fantasizing here...
__________________
TMNT Entity
Ninja Turtle comic reviews, essays, articles and more!


-Mark Pellegrini
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #38
neatoman
Emperor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 5,178
"The secondary book is dead, long live the secondary book!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
There will be a secondary book for the foreseeable future-- got some exciting stuff lined up!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTH View Post
Turtles is basically the red-headed stepchild of Nick.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:08 PM   #39
oldmanwinters
Overlord
 
oldmanwinters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Between yesterday and tomorrow!
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
Pretty much if the 30th Anniversary Special could be an ongoing series. Personally, my major interest in those revolving multiverse stories would require IDW to reunite creative teams from the various incarnations. Let Murphy and Allan (or Mitchroney!) do the Archie stories. Let Lawson, Murphy, Dooney, Talbot, Brown, or Lavigne do the Mirage stories. If you're going to hit the cartoons, get show writers (Wise or Reaves for Fred Wolf, Isenberg or Johnson for 4Kids) and find artists who can capture the style of the animation...

Again, super niche and it'd probably be a pain and a half to coordinate and edit, but so long as we're fantasizing here...
Sounds like a plan to me!
__________________

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #40
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 34,160
I wonder what they can do besides more usual mini's, I mean most of Universes issues were essentially mini's themselves even if some were only 1 or 2 issue stories.

I'd prefer we get more stuff in IDW continuity, something like Batman crossovers is one thing, but if we're going to have a secondary book I want it to flesh out the universe and cover characters and plots they have no time for in the main ongoing. Which is what Universe and all the mini's do in the first place, they let us see Karai in Japan, more with Utroms/Triceratons, Bishop's first attack with the EPF, etc.

As I said I really think Null needs a whole mini event to herself. Her plotline has literally just been there in the background for like...4 years or whatever, and it moves at a snails pace. Just have the Mutanimals or some of the Turtles go try and stop Null/Zodi and the alien invasion (most likely by Maligna) like in Archie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.