The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 11-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #1261
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

To be honest, I really had no intention of ever seeing this film. I only saw it (and no, I didn't pay a dime for it) because I have a youtube channel (and somehow I'm lucky enough to have fans, and they wanted me to check it out. And honestly, that's the only reason I checked it out. Because trust me, I got nothing out of this and it was Exactly what I thought it was going to be).

And it was.

It's April O'Neil: The Movie. She's the one with the actual history with villains. She's the primary focus and the Turtles do not get an actual scene until at least 20 minutes into this 90 minute movie. She's the one who named them, saved them, has at least more of an actual personal vendetta (her father dying), gets the last/final hit on the bad guy.

All this stuff...and yet somehow Shredder knows Everything about Splinter & The Turtles....somehow Splinter & The Turtles know Everything about the Foot & Shredder...how? Why? Just because...maybe they're Psychic, I don't know.

So you just took away any history or mythology that the Turtles, Splinter, etc. had with the villain and vice versa...and any of this 'well in the sequel...' stuff is a lame claim.

And all they did with the Turtles is take what was different about them and made them Generic Super Heroes. Bulletproof with Super Hero Strength that has no ties into the villain other than 'they are bad, let us stop them'. How is that interesting? How is that intriguing?

How is an action scene which is just some shadow (maybe Raph?) throwing a huge container...End Scene...and that's entertaining? Or cool? Or mysterious, or fun or anything? Would you care to run that by me again?

The subway scene. Yes, I know the whole point is that 'you're not supposed to tell what is going on'. That the Turtles are 'hiding in the open', so to speak. But you know what? If a Foot is going to be thrown up & crash into the ceiling, or someone like Karai gets thrown back into the wall...is it too much to ask to see which Turtle actually Did that? Instead of almost going into an Epileptic seizure during the whole thing?

And like I said, the first Actual scene with the Turtles is about 20 minutes in, when April first meets them. What's so great about the scene again? Mikey mentions Batman, Megan Fox tries to act, and Mikey talks about his Boner. That's pretty much the scene.

And then they leave, so that they can get stuck and Mikey farts in his brothers' faces.

If you enjoy the film? That's fine. But I will Never understand why. But hey, it's not my job to understand. I just don't get it.

And what do you get after that? Splinter finding them and abusing the hell out of them (even choking the hell out of Raph with his tail). A nothing fight in the lair...I mean, seriously...all it takes is 'Hey! Raph pushed a big fan! Alright!' Is that it?

Will Arnett's character is a definition of useless (and he wasn't funny). Megan Fox was pretty damn horrible. The Raph vs. Shredder fight was complete and utter joke (am I saying that he needed to beat Shredder? No. But c'mon...you're telling me that Raph couldn't get even One, Single Successful Kick or Punch in? Not one? And no, he didn't. I know cause I Saw the flick). That's just plain stupid.

Don & Leo were not even characters in the film. They were nothing. Donnie was just a guy who needed goggles in order see the plainly obvious and 'easy to see' Guns that the baddies were holding. And it didn't matter cause they were Bulletproof (technically, their shells were). Leo was 'there'. Again, I'm sure people will say 'but in the older movies'. Well, you know what? Those films were over 20 years ago. Do Better!

How do bulletproof shells and super hero strength help create fun action scenes? They don't. They just decrease the threat even more on the foot since even Shooting them won't do much.

How does it create better action scenes or more fun/entertaining ones than, say, them using skill, stealth, technique, with perhaps some well done action/fight choreography?

Simple, they don't. I'm here to watch Ninja Turtles, not 4 Hulks using mostly Brute Strength when they actually Do fight.

The hill scene? Severely overrated. Don flips a car. Raph kills a Humvee, Leo gets knocked out and then saves April/Vern. Mikey punches a hole on the top of a car. The end. That's it. And weirdly enough, it's the main action scene that Everyone talks about which involves nothing Ninja about it, no fighting, no Martial arts...none of that...go figure.

And then what was after that? The whole 'we could have an awesome scene where all 4 of these Turtles fight the huge amount of Foot....or they could run away so they can dance in the elevator....so we'll pick #2'. What?

And then the end fight is just them getting their ass kicked 95% of the time (and if someone mentions the older movies...that was over 20 years ago and they had a measly/tiny budget...heck, this movie has a bigger budget than ALL of the older films combined). They do 1 or 2 successful things, and then the movie ends.

And of course, that's not to mention the bad plot, the 'rip-off of Amazing Spider-Man' ending, the bad script, not a single funny line in the movie, most of the humor is Mikey acting like a College Douche bag to get into Megan Fox's pants, lackluster designs of the Turtles/Splinter themselves, the beyond forgettable musical score...

And people keep mentioning 'but the camaraderie of the Turtles themselves'. Did I see a different version of the film? There's the scene where they first meet April...a brief scene after that (before Splinter catches them)...the kids scene...and then what?

Where's the heart...or how about scenes that shows the Turtles actually give a crap about each other? I can give you that they were worried about Splinter. But how about each other? Heck, it was ok for them to yell out for Splinter (which makes sense) but the other 3 never even mentioned Raph's name or seemed worried about him? Go figure.

Even a silly movie like Secret of the Ooze had little stuff (like when Raph gets his toes stomped on, you had Mikey petting his head like he was an angry animal that he needed to soothe, little touches like that). Or even the 1990 film, like the build up of Raph & Leo which resulted in them saying a few words and hugging. This film had none of that between the 4. Zero.

The One, single time they Attempted that? The Raph Speech? It made No Sense. and even then the rest was played for laughs. Raph didn't even fight with Leo, never bullied Donnie or Mikey...hell, Raph barely even Talked to the others. And yet he's saying he's sorry? For what? Because in one scene he said that he might leave, and that's it? Is that all it really takes, to have one scene where he goes 'I'm gonna leave' and that's enough build-up for that speech?

Same with stuff like Raph asking Mikey 'you remember that word you used to say when we were kids?' Uh, no. We don't. Perhaps if you actually knew what you were doing, then maybe you could have incorporated that into the kids sequence so that it made sense In Your Movie! Maybe you could have put that kind of stuff in between Mikey listening to Gwen Stefani...just saying.

To me, this isn't even a Ninja Turtles film and that's why to me it's the worst. Ninja Turtles 3 has a lot of bad crap in it...but it's more of a Ninja Turtle film. Hell, even the whole Raph bonding with the kid, or the brothers worrying about Mikey going into the fire to save the kid...that had more heart than anything this film even attempted. And that was barely anything in part 3.

Where was the 'family' that the makers kept saying this film had? You never got the idea that the 4 had a close bond with each other. How about Mikey pulling a prank on Raph to get Raph to chase him? or Raph & Donnie helping fix something together? or perhaps Leo and Don chatting about something/anything at all? Again, people will pull out the 'well the older films did this, and did that...' That was over 20 years ago and you have all of that time as well as Blockbuster money...do something.

Heck, watch that first Fantastic Four flick with Chris Evans! Even that film had stuff with its' characters. Don't believe me? Watch how Johnny (Human Torch, played by Chris Evans) and Ben (The Thing) interact with each other...like when Johnny would prank Ben or make fun of the way he looks...that IS Mikey & Raph...why not do that?

Oh sure, this new Turtles flick has the names of the characters and is a vague resemblance. But it's just a generic, lazy, lame, and Boring Super Hero Film. Obviously, a lot of folks disagree.

And for those who said 'well you hated it from the beginning and you'd never change your mind'. I talked a lot of crap about the 2012 cartoon as well before hand. And although I don't care for what they're doing now, there were quite a few stuff about the new toon that I admitted to liking when I finally did watch the full seasons.

If folks like the film? that's fine. I just don't get it. It was April's movie...the Turtles had zero depth of characters....lame villains....lame plot....lame action...lack of actual Martial Art fights, and when they did happen it was instantly forgettable....bland score...and no memorable moments that the Turtles had with one another, because there were barely any moments between them In the movie.

Last edited by Ramboraph4life aka Matt; 11-06-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:33 PM   #1262
Leo656
The Franchise

Nice job. Clearly you spent a lot of time and thought on your review and put a lot of work into flashing-out your viewpoints. Couldn't argue with any of that. Honestly don't know how anyone could, heh.

Thanks for your input.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #1263
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramboraph4life aka Matt View Post
To be honest, I really had no intention of ever seeing this film. I only saw it (and no, I didn't pay a dime for it) because I have a youtube channel (and somehow I'm lucky enough to have fans, and they wanted me to check it out. And honestly, that's the only reason I checked it out. Because trust me, I got nothing out of this and it was Exactly what I thought it was going to be).

And it was.

It's April O'Neil: The Movie. She's the one with the actual history with villains. She's the primary focus and the Turtles do not get an actual scene until at least 20 minutes into this 90 minute movie. She's the one who named them, saved them, has at least more of an actual personal vendetta (her father dying), gets the last/final hit on the bad guy.

All this stuff...and yet somehow Shredder knows Everything about Splinter & The Turtles....somehow Splinter & The Turtles know Everything about the Foot & Shredder...how? Why? Just because...maybe they're Psychic, I don't know.

So you just took away any history or mythology that the Turtles, Splinter, etc. had with the villain and vice versa...and any of this 'well in the sequel...' stuff is a lame claim.

And all they did with the Turtles is take what was different about them and made them Generic Super Heroes. Bulletproof with Super Hero Strength that has no ties into the villain other than 'they are bad, let us stop them'. How is that interesting? How is that intriguing?

How is an action scene which is just some shadow (maybe Raph?) throwing a huge container...End Scene...and that's entertaining? Or cool? Or mysterious, or fun or anything? Would you care to run that be me again?

The subway scene. Yes, I know the whole point is that 'you're not supposed to tell what is going on'. That the Turtles are 'hiding in the open', so to speak. But you know what? If a Foot is going to be thrown up & crash into the ceiling, or someone like Karai gets thrown back into the wall...is it too much to ask to see which Turtle actually Did that? Instead of almost going into an Epileptic seizure during the whole thing?

And like I said, the first Actual scene with the Turtles is about 20 minutes in, when April first meets them. What's so great about the scene again? Mikey mentions Batman, Megan Fox tries to act, and Mikey talks about his Boner. That's pretty much the scene.

And then they leave, so that they can get stuck and Mikey farts in his brothers' faces.

If you enjoy the film? That's fine. But I will Never understand why. But hey, it's not my job to understand. I just don't get it.

And what do you get after that? Splinter finding them and abusing the hell out of them (even choking the hell out of Raph with his tail). A nothing fight in the lair...I mean, seriously...all it takes is 'Hey! Raph pushed a big fan! Alright!' Is that it?

Will Arnett's character is a definition of useless (and he wasn't funny). Megan Fox was pretty damn horrible. The Raph vs. Shredder fight was complete and utter joke (am I saying that he needed to beat Shredder? No. But c'mon...you're telling me that Raph couldn't get even One, Single Successful Kick or Punch in? Not one? And no, he didn't. I know cause I Saw the flick). That's just plain stupid.

Don & Leo were not even characters in the film. They were nothing. Donnie was just a guy who needed goggles in order see the plainly obvious and 'easy to see' Guns that the baddies were holding. And it didn't matter cause they were Bulletproof (technically, their shells were). Leo was 'there'. Again, I'm sure people will say 'but in the older movies'. Well, you know what? Those films were over 20 years ago. Do Better!

How do bulletproof shells and super hero strength help create fun action scenes? They don't. They just decrease the threat even more on the foot since even Shooting them won't do much.

How does it create better action scenes or more fun/entertaining ones than, say, them using skill, stealth, technique, with perhaps some well done action/fight choreography?

Simple, they don't. I'm here to watch Ninja Turtles, not 4 Hulks using mostly Brute Strength when they actually Do fight.

The hill scene? Severely overrated. Don flips a car. Raph kills a Humvee, Leo gets knocked out and then saves April/Vern. Mikey punches a hole on the top of a car. The end. That's it. And weirdly enough, it's the main action scene that Everyone talks about which involves nothing Ninja about it, no fighting, no Martial arts...none of that...go figure.

And then what was after that? The whole 'we could have an awesome scene where all 4 of these Turtles fight the huge amount of Foot....or they could run away so they can dance in the elevator....so we'll pick #2'. What?

And then the end fight is just them getting their ass kicked 95% of the time (and if someone mentions the older movies...that was over 20 years ago and they had a measly/tiny budget...heck, this movie has a bigger budget than ALL of the older films combined). They do 1 or 2 successful things, and then the movie ends.

And of course, that's not to mention the bad plot, the 'rip-off of Amazing Spider-Man' ending, the bad script, not a single funny line in the movie, most of the humor is Mikey acting like a College Douche bag to get into Megan Fox's pants, lackluster designs of the Turtles/Splinter themselves, the beyond forgettable musical score...

And people keep mentioning 'but the camaraderie of the Turtles themselves'. Did I see a different version of the film? There's the scene where they first meet April...a brief scene after that (before Splinter catches them)...the kids scene...and then what?

Where's the heart...or how about scenes that shows the Turtles actually give a crap about each other? I can give you that they were worried about Splinter. But how about each other? Heck, it was ok for them to yell out for Splinter (which makes sense) but the other 3 never even mentioned Raph's name or seemed worried about him? Go figure.

Even a silly movie like Secret of the Ooze had little stuff (like when Raph gets his toes stomped on, you had Mikey petting his head like he was an angry animal that he needed to soothe, little touches like that). Or even the 1990 film, like the build up of Raph & Leo which resulted in them saying a few words and hugging. This film had none of that between the 4. Zero.

The One, single time they Attempted that? The Raph Speech? It made No Sense. and even then the rest was played for laughs. Raph didn't even fight with Leo, never bullied Donnie or Mikey...hell, Raph barely even Talked to the others. And yet he's saying he's sorry? For what? Because in one scene he said that he might leave, and that's it? Is that all it really takes, to have one scene where he goes 'I'm gonna leave' and that's enough build-up for that speech?

Same with stuff like Raph asking Mikey 'you remember that word you used to say when we were kids?' Uh, no. We don't. Perhaps if you actually knew what you were doing, then maybe you could have incorporated that into the kids sequence so that it made sense In Your Movie! Maybe you could have put that kind of stuff in between Mikey listening to Gwen Stefani...just saying.

To me, this isn't even a Ninja Turtles film and that's why to me it's the worst. Ninja Turtles 3 has a lot of bad crap in it...but it's more of a Ninja Turtle film. Hell, even the whole Raph bonding with the kid, or the brothers worrying about Mikey going into the fire to save the kid...that had more heart than anything this film even attempted. And that was barely anything in part 3.

Where was the 'family' that the makers kept saying this film had? You never got the idea that the 4 had a close bond with each other. How about Mikey pulling a prank on Raph to get Raph to chase him? or Raph & Donnie helping fix something together? or perhaps Leo and Don chatting about something/anything at all? Again, people will pull out the 'well the older films did this, and did that...' That was over 20 years ago and you have all of that time as well as Blockbuster money...do something.

Heck, watch that first Fantastic Four flick with Chris Evans! Even that film had stuff with its' characters. Don't believe me? Watch how Johnny (Human Torch, played by Chris Evans) and Ben (The Thing) interact with each other...like when Johnny would prank Ben or make fun of the way he looks...that IS Mikey & Raph...why not do that?

Oh sure, this new Turtles flick has the names of the characters and is a vague resemblance. But it's just a generic, lazy, lame, and Boring Super Hero Film. Obviously, a lot of folks disagree.

And for those who said 'well you hated it from the beginning and you'd never change your mind'. I talked a lot of crap about the 2012 cartoon as well before hand. And although I don't care for what they're doing now, there were quite a few stuff about the new toon that I admitted to liking when I finally did watch the full seasons.

If folks like the film? that's fine. I just don't get it. It was April's movie...the Turtles had zero depth of characters....lame villains....lame plot....lame action...lack of actual Martial Art fights, and when they did happen it was instantly forgettable....bland score...and no memorable moments that the Turtles had with one another, because there were barely any moments between them In the movie.
I think I'll have to agree with all of this.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #1264
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

Wow, those are a lot of hang ups! lol. My kids are watching it right now and having a blast. I am literally hearing them laughing at the "funny" parts quite a bit and complimenting some of the action scenes.
I think this movie accomplished what it set out to accomplish and that's mainly to entertain kids (and sell toys not specific to the ugly movie figures).

That subway scene was awesome imho. I honestly didn't feel I needed to see who did what. It would lose it's point if I saw which turtle did what. Instead, it was kinda creepy but cool at the same time. I mean look at the 1990 one. You couldn't see anything at all. Raph hit the light and it was all sound effects from there.
In this one, you can actually make out some shapes zooming by as the foot got pummeled.

You make interesting points, bud. For me... I thought this movie was ok (with lowered expectations). Nothing more or less spectacular than the original films and shows from either 80s or 2012. I love the 1990 movie for nostalgic reasons and always will, but I'm not going to embellish on it more than it was. A kids movie to help move more toys. True, it had a slower paced run and a stronger core to work around on, but "them's the sign of the times". Today, we live in a melting pot world. No one will ever be happy with anything because everyone has their own definition of perfection and are able to voice it loudly.

I do wish this movie had better turtle designs (and Splinter..yuck) for the most part. The rest, I could stomach as the start of a new foundation for modern tmnt films. Face it guys.... we're just never going to get that "masterpiece" tmnt movie we've all dreamed of since the 90s. Hollywood and the toy companies have other plans to make the cash flow.

Last edited by Splint'r; 11-05-2014 at 08:55 PM.
Splint'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:03 PM   #1265
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splint'r View Post
Wow, those are a lot of hang ups! lol. My kids are watching it right now and having a blast. I am literally hearing them laughing at the "funny" parts quite a bit and complimenting some of the action scenes.
I think this movie accomplished what it set out to accomplish and that's mainly to entertain kids (and sell toys not specific to the ugly movie figures).

That subway scene was awesome imho. I honestly didn't feel I needed to see who did what. It would lose it's point if I saw which turtle did what. Instead, it was kinda creepy but cool at the same time. I mean look at the 1990 one. You couldn't see anything at all. Raph hit the light and it was all sound effects from there.
In this one, you can actually make out some shapes zooming by as the foot got pummeled.

You make interesting points, bud. For me... I thought this movie was ok. Nothing more or less spectacular than the original films and shows from either 80s or 2012. I love the 1990 movie for nostalgic reasons and always will, but I'm not going to embellish on it more than it was. A kids movie to help move more toys. True, it had a slower paced run and a stronger core to work around on, but "them's the sign of the times". Today, we live in a melting pot world. No one will ever be happy with anything because everyone has their own definition of perfection and are able to voice it loudly.

I do wish this movie had better turtle designs (and Splinter..yuck) for the most part. The rest, I could stomach as the start of a new foundation for modern tmnt films. Face it guys.... we're just never going to get that "masterpiece" tmnt movie we've all dreamed of since the 90s. Hollywood and the toy companies have other plans to make the cash flow.
See, the problem with your response, is that you have a much lower level of expectation than Ramboraph or myself, or others on the board do. And by this I mean of course the so called "Haters". "I thought it was fine" is just not good enough. I could easily point to another 50 things that made me cringe, maybe more.
People can say, stop nitpicking all day and all night when it's TMNT, or "what did you expect?" Etc, etc...but if we were talking about TASM2, the film is slammed, repeatedly for not being good enough. Same goes for TDKR, Star Trek reboots, the list goes on and on. So somehow TMNT is exempt? It's fine if a TMNT film is tasteless garbage?

I mean, I get it, because, there will be a Power Rangers movie in theaters soon. My opinion of that franchise is so low, that it will be better than I thought it would be, no question.
Infact, I'll bet that no matter how they approach it, people will find problems with it, and I'll say exactly what you're saying now, " the kids liked it, sooooo". Hardly a satisfying response to someone who actually cares about the characters, and how they are represented.

And to the diehard fans, that will only be salt in the wound, similar to what you're saying right now, to us.

2014 is an empty shell of a movie, a missed opportunity, and a hollow attempt at making big dollars. But earning a modest box office does not indicate quality, rather, just a quantity of tickets sold, to the unsuspecting.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 11-05-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #1266
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commenter 42 View Post
See, the problem with your response, is that you have a much lower level of expectation than Ramboraph or myself, or others on the board do. And by this I mean of course the so called "Haters". "I thought it was fine" is just not good enough. I could easily point to another 50 things that made me cringe, maybe more.
People can say, stop nitpicking all day and all night when it's TMNT, or "what did you expect?" Etc, etc...but if we were talking about TASM2, the film is slammed, repeatedly for not being good enough. Same goes for TDKR, Star Trek reboots, the list goes on and on. So somehow TMNT is exempt? It's fine if a TMNT film is tasteless garbage?

I mean, I get it, because, there will be a Power Rangers movie in theaters soon. My opinion of that franchise is so low, that it will be better than I thought it would be, no question.
Infact, I'll bet that no matter how they approach it, people will find problems with it, and I'll say exactly what you're saying now, " the kids liked it, sooooo". Hardly a satisfying response to someone who actually cares about the characters, and how they are represented.

And to the diehard fans, that will only be salt in the wound, similar to what you're saying right now, to us.

2014 is an empty shell of a movie, a missed opportunity, and a hollow attempt at making big dollars. But earning a modest box office does not indicate quality, rather, just a quantity of tickets sold, to the unsuspecting.

Don't get me wrong bud. I care about the characters. Believe me. I care. I absolutely adore the franchise. I don't have the money to buy every piece of merchandise out there to prove it, but if I did, I probably would.

Let me clear the air here. Firstly, I really don't see a problem with my response because my response isn't telling anyone what to like or dislike. I never said stop complaining, at all. I get where the contempt is coming from. In my first post in this topic, I wasn't exactly giving it high praise. I simply said, I didn't find it to be as bad as I expected it to be.
If me appreciating the film even a tiny bit is salt in your wounds, then you need to get that checked out.

The fact that I recognized the points and hang ups of the poster after my first review should say enough where I stand. I also pointed out in my original review that the movie is in need of serious repairs. Those were my exact words. Serious repairs. I also said I have lowered my expectations for this movie specifically due to what I've seen in the trailers and the over all look of the characters. My feelings over the characters appearance hasn't changed, but I was imagining something far worst with the rest of the film due to who was involved (MB).

I'm just not as upset about it anymore. I didn't create the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I have no say in their future or direction. I either like it or hate it and move on. But I no longer hang around with a cloud over my head because I already did that with the Transformers movie franchise, hoping that complaining would somehow help change it for the better, but it was only getting worst and made far more money than this one did... Ask me how that makes sense, I could never tell you the answer. *though selling tickets in Asia helped*

There are painful factors involved (for fans) and there's really nothing we can do about it but complain and watch the studios not give a strand of care.
Something may have happened with this studio when they rushed to change the script... but that's very rare and even then, not enough to fully fix a problem.
It's either severe crap or tolerable crap. But all crap.

Today, I found a lil' plus side to this spectacle and that is when I heard my 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son, cracking up and going "cool!" several times through the film. It was kind of like my experience when I first saw the 1990 film as a child. My parents thought it was crap, but I loved it.
My parents weren't fans of TMNT and only knew that they were popular.
But what if they were hardcore fans back then? Would they have panned the movie? I heard some comic book readers did pan it and called it a watered down cheesy film. But for me and my buddies (back in elementary) that movie was all sorts of cool.

At some point, it seems things go full circle only to find there's nothing more left for us oldschool fans but a new beginning for the upcoming young fans. Most cases I do see the oldschool fan feeling dejected and harrumphing everything that looks and sounds completely the opposite of what he or she remembers or wants. I dunno... That's life. Complain away.

I had 1990s and maybe that's just as good as it's going to get for someone like myself. Not speaking for any of you. Just me.
Hence...my much more gentle opinion of this film. I'm 36 now... I really can't keep crying about things like this anymore. I either like it, or hate it and ignore it. But you guys do what you gotta do to vent. Not stopping you.

I'm not telling you to shut up about your opinions. I'm not debating your feelings. Simply pointed out that what some of you hated, I didn't mind it as much as other details (or lack of details) in the film. For me, my biggest gripe in the movie, are the turtle's designs along Splinter and how Shredder really didn't have any solid connection with the prime characters.

I understand that may be due to the hacking of the original script and rushing to piece together something that's a little closer to home. I don't know brother. I just don't know.

Really sorry to see you guys in so much pain about it though. Do you like the new Nick shows at all? I used to complain about those too when I first saw images and screen grabs. I was like ew...it looks unfinished. But then, out of boredom, I saw a few episodes and got hooked.... I find the writing to be brilliant and entertaining. My kids and I enjoy watching them when they're available to watch.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:27 PM   #1267
Commenter 42
Banned

Quote:
Let me clear the air here. Firstly, I really don't see a problem with my response because my response isn't telling anyone what to like or dislike. I never said stop complaining, at all. I get where the contempt is coming from. In my first post in this topic, I wasn't exactly giving it high praise. I simply said, I didn't find it to be as bad as I expected it to be.
I agree, for the most part. My issue is that while it might have been much worse, and clearly, it could have been, it's that it wasn't at all a TMNT film. If I were to compare this to Transformers, this was a Go-bots movie, with a Transformers label.

Quote:
... I also said I have lowered my expectations for this movie specifically due to what I've seen in the trailers and the over all look of the characters. My feelings over the characters appearance hasn't changed, but I was imagining something far worst with the rest of the film due to who was involved (MB).
See, here again we agree. I really was on board until I saw the designs. I even hoped that Bay would find a way to make it fun. I too was a huge TF fan. Unlike you though, I thought the first movie was fun, and felt there was a magic in how impressive the bots looked on the screen, despite the fact that OP was such a departure from the 80's. Just like most TF fans, I was pissed that OP had lips. I was pissed that Megatron looked nothing like he should. But that first film, had so much energy, I gave it a pass. I hoped it would improve over time. Obviously, those hopes were dashed.
So when Turtles was announced, I thought, "he can't be so stupid as to make the same mistakes again"
Wow, was I wrong.

Quote:
There are painful factors involved (for fans) and there's really nothing we can do about it but complain and watch the studios not give a strand of care.
Something may have happened with this studio when they rushed to change the script... but that's very rare and even then, not enough to fully fix a problem.
It's either severe crap or tolerable crap. But all crap.

So there you have it. I'm still banging my pans and shouting from the soapbox because, unlike the massive success of TF1 Turtles only slightly exceeded expectations. They know they made mistakes. I want to make sure they hear loud and clear, what those mistakes were. I want it fixed.
Some people go to baseball games, some watch football and scream at the tv. Film is my sport, and turtles are among my favorite teams. I want a good film, in my lifetime. I want the Beatles, not a cover band who thinks they can do better.
Brother, I'm on a bloody mission.

Quote:
Today, I found a lil' plus side to this spectacle and that is when I heard my 12 year old daughter and 9 year old son, cracking up and going "cool!" several times through the film. It was kind of like my experience when I first saw the 1990 film as a child...
At some point, it seems things go full circle only to find there's nothing more left for us oldschool fans but a new beginning for the upcoming young fans. Most cases I do see the oldschool fan feeling dejected and harrumphing everything that looks and sounds completely the opposite of what he or she remembers or wants. I dunno... That's life. Complain away...you guys do what you gotta do to vent. Not stopping you.
I guess that's where we are different. TMNT is much more than children's entertainment. It's never been taken seriously enough. I think it's possible to do any story, and make it palatable for children, just look at grimes fairy tales.
Adapted in their entirety, they would make very compelling adult fare.

Quote:
I'm not telling you to shut up about your opinions. For me, my biggest gripe in the movie, are the turtle's designs along Splinter and how Shredder really didn't have any solid connection with the prime characters.
Thank you. Maybe you haven't been around long enough to see the typical back and forth, but usually it devolves quickly. Respect.
No question about it, the turtles and splinter were ****** looking.

Quote:
Do you like the new Nick shows at all? I used to complain about those too when I first saw images and screen grabs. I was like ew...it looks unfinished. But then, out of boredom, I saw a few episodes and got hooked.... I find the writing to be brilliant and entertaining. My kids and I enjoy watching them when they're available to watch.
The finally of season 2 is impossibly well done.
The look and feel wasn't my cup of tea in the beginning, but the writing won me over as well. The pacing and visual direction in season 2 also started to improve, and in a positive way, put a new spin on the familiar story. Ciro and Nick have the essence on lock, possibly more than any other series to date, including 2k3.

All of this to say, I'm raging still, because I'm of the belief that only the best are given the opportunity to work on big budget films. It is insanely competitive.
I know people who have busted their ass for years, and never got their shot.
When someone flexes their financial muscles, to buy a piece of our collective history, then tosses out a half assed product, and markets it like it's gold, and people don't rebuke them, It's an insult to all the people who have been passed over, who would have actually given a damn.
It's not a job, it's a ****ing privilege. And if they aren't up to the task, step aside and let some one in who is.

Last edited by Commenter 42; 11-06-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Commenter 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 AM   #1268
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

Quote:
I'm raging still, because I'm of the belief that only the best are given the opportunity to work on big budget films. It is insanely competitive.
When someone flexes their financial muscles, to buy a piece of our collective history, then tosses out a half assed product, and markets it like it's gold, and people don't rebuke them, It's an insult to all the people who have been passed over, who would have actually given a damn.
It's not a job, it's a ****ing privilege. And if they aren't up to the task, step aside and let some one in who is.

Very well said. I agree 100% with this. I can only hope we get to experience a solid tmnt film, start to finish, before we prune up and dry out.
Ditto with respect bud.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #1269
jenna
Mad Scientist

Quote:

All of this to say, I'm raging still, because I'm of the belief that only the best are given the opportunity to work on big budget films. It is insanely competitive.
Your comment here really struck a chord with me.

I did enjoy the finished product and will happily watch it again. BUT as I watch it I will forever be conflicted between feeling entertained on a superficial level, loving the few elements I feel they did well, and acute disappointment for all the opportunities they had but failed to use.

The property deserves respect, and if people can only recognise it as a joke, kids' franchise or action-fest, then they are missing the whole point of TMNT and are not the right people to be working on the project.

The shame in all this is that for me, this film is by no means the worst instance of TMNT abuse. Secret of the Ooze, Turtles 3, Next Mutation were all dire. TMNT had some great moments, but the rest was just garbage. The 4Kids series was amazing, until they destroyed it with one of the franchise's biggest disasters, Fast Forward. Against some of these the new film is almost a work of art. Poor interpretations and soulless incarnations have set my expectations at a very low level. Quite frankly, part of my enjoyment of the film was sheer relief that it wasn't as bad as it could have been (and very nearly was!).

Last edited by jenna; 11-06-2014 at 02:02 PM.
jenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #1270
Bloodsucker
Banned

Quote:

Wow! Look out for this dramaqueen. Calm down buddy, it's not life or death!
Bloodsucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #1271
Powder
So tired of this place

Spoken like a guy who doesn't care about quality.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #1272
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
All of this to say, I'm raging still, because I'm of the belief that only the best are given the opportunity to work on big budget films. It is insanely competitive. I know people who have busted their ass for years, and never got their shot.
Yup, sadly. A lot of the big timers in there are apparently only in it for the money. Which, I get it, it's a job and like any job and business, yes people are there to make a profit. HOWEVER, film is also part of the arts, and if someone isn't also there for art sake then it's time to leave.

A lot of those who are there for art sake seem to be involved in independent film instead, or have been. Which, to my understanding is what the 1990 film was and the people who made it got it done because they believed in it when others did not. It was about the film, not a cash cow.

The blockbuster segment seems now like it's just the film industry version of wall street focusing on playing the game of racking in the cash, while using a superficial cheap import style of product to do it with. Film version/analogy of missing paint on the toys due to short cuts. Surprised the films don't contain lead.

Not to say I didn't find the parts I liked about this movie, but yeah... I think most notice that it's very... on the surface, so to speak. There's not a whole lot of substance or depth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post
The property deserves respect, and if people can only recognise it as a joke, kids' franchise or action-fest, then they are missing the whole point of TMNT and are not the right people to be working on the project.
Exactly.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #1273
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Agreed with everything said here, especially the long mega-post detailing every nitpick with the movie. Again, I honestly don't know how anyone can argue with any of those points and still consider themselves any kind of TMNT fan. To be a fan kinda sorta implies you actually like and care about the thing you're a fan about. This movie is clearly the opposite, and anyone that loved it to death and defends it to the high heavens obviously forgot what they were even fans of in the first place.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #1274
ernesth100
Thug

I didn't love it. I liked it. I don't defend it because it's impossible. The movie has way too many errors and differences from the original. But since it's a reboot and a live action adaption at that(turtle movies always stray from the source material in someway or another) I can forgive that just barely and enjoy the movie.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:04 AM   #1275
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

Wow! just seen this movie, and all I can say is WOW THAT WAS SOOOOO BAD.

Top 10 worst movies of all time. Titanic 2 was better

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:17 AM   #1276
Splint'r
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
Agreed with everything said here, especially the long mega-post detailing every nitpick with the movie. Again, I honestly don't know how anyone can argue with any of those points and still consider themselves any kind of TMNT fan. To be a fan kinda sorta implies you actually like and care about the thing you're a fan about. This movie is clearly the opposite, and anyone that loved it to death and defends it to the high heavens obviously forgot what they were even fans of in the first place.
Hmm... While that's you're opinion and respect is as such, I find it isn't fair to generalize the multifaceted fan base to one sole definition of a word that describes an aficionado of sorts. You don't really want to stand on a pedestal and claim that the word "fan" only means to describe people who follow the same wavelength as you or even the mass majority in this case.

I've said the same thing you did about a certain pop music star and learned I was dead wrong when I dived in the fan base forums. You can hate something or love something all you want and have your opinions on it's production values, etc, but to belittle anyone who actually enjoyed something (even if the mass majority didn't), is a bit harsh.

Especially when dealing in entertainment subject matters. Take for instance me. I was never a fan of the comics (because they weren't anywhere near my radar until years after). I was a fan of the cartoon shows, toys and 1990 film. Neither of which were ever 100% faithful to the actual source material outside of what they were (ninja turtles) and only some of their sensibilities and other bold attributes. That's just how I remember them. I don't remember them as dark and violent characters of the shadows. I remember them more as somewhat light hearted (excluding the more complicated Raph who was always my favorite turtle) funny, awesome and unique super heroes unlike the usual stuff (batman, spiderman, superman, etc etc). Does this mean I need to turn over my "fan" badge? My kids are fans of the new movie. They claim they're now fans of TMNT in general. Maybe I will tell them they have no right to claim they're fans because they don't know the source material and the movie sucked in everyone else's opinion. See what I'm saying? There are levels in fandom and that's no mystery, but does it mean we can't get a long and allow ourselves to claim we're all fans in general?

This isn't about the 2014 film in specific. This is about indirectly belittling one another over what was enjoyed and what wasn't. The best thing people can do within the same fan base is learn to agree to disagree. Trust me on that.
When not, all it does is rub everyone the wrong way and splits the fan base into two or even more quarters, which is kind of counter productive when getting along is pretty much paramount for maximizing our enjoyment of this quirky franchise.

Just my cheap two cents. Not meant to offend anyone who agrees with your statements. I love you guys.

Last edited by Splint'r; 11-09-2014 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #1277
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

Quote:
Hey, sorry for the gif and all, but:

I couldn't agree more. It is a privilege. Creative work is a struggle, getting anywhere at it is hard as hell, and it is deeply unfair when those who manage to luck out and get a golden opportunity like this don't even bother to try.

Again, no matter how silly, no matter how respected the property, all of this stuff is a part of our popular culture and helps set the tone for what kind of quality we're gonna get in the future. Don't just accept whatever garbage they give you, and don't defend laziness; we've gotta get some higher standards and back that up with what we're willing to pay for.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #1278
Xiewin
Stone Warrior

I just watched an interview with 2 of main producers, and apparently they spent TWO years making the snow chase scene.
So they wasted half of the production on some 10 minute action sequence? Was that really their main focus?
Oh god, Paramount what were you thinking when you handed over the property to these guys.
Ughh the sequel is going to suck so hard. This movie should have never existed and PD needs be shut down so we can avoid more of their future travesties.

Last edited by Xiewin; 12-05-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Xiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #1279
TheBlueTurtle1
Foot Elite

I have avoided all movie threads, and was actually trying to convince myself the movie was going to be watchable. Basically it's the Megan Fox movie plus a bunch of under developed turtles that you just don't care for. Poor, boring plot, and tbh I really hope the sequel never sees the light of day.

This actually made Turtles 3 look damn good.

http://jandmdev.deviantart.com/ (My Brother and I have a dev page, I am J, brother is M)
TheBlueTurtle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #1280
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiewin View Post
I just watched an interview with 2 of main producers, and apparently they spent TWO years making the snow chase scene.
So they wasted half of the production on some 10 minute action sequence? Was that really their main focus?
So once again, it's pretty much exactly as I figured; the movie "began" with the Snow Chase - the big-budget SFX bonanza that "had" to be in there in order to get the producers' confidence in the project - and they built the rest of the movie backwards from there. So long as that one scene was in there, everything else in the movie was up for grabs or inconsequential.

So with what we know now, we can say that from top to bottom this was an ass-backwards production and that anything "good" about it was purely by accident.

You're right, these bozos don't need to be making movies. How anyone thinks the next one is gonna be "better" with twice as many characters in the same runtime is a mystery to me. "Well, the backstory is outta the way now, so more room for action!" WHAT F'n backstory was there, exactly? Cripes. What a mess.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 11-09-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews