The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-06-2018, 11:37 AM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Pirates of the Caribbean 6

Still rolling forward:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/sixth-pi...oving-forward/

Despite the last one being marketed as, well, the last one.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

OK... I gave up after the fourth one, when I found out the piece of **** adapted a book completely unrelated to this series, I realised nobody involved cares anymore. I have no idea if the fifth took something unrelated and slapped the Pirates name on as well, not that it matters, it looked terrible anyway.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
OK... I gave up after the fourth one, when I found out the piece of **** adapted a book completely unrelated to this series,
Wait, what's wrong with adapting an unrelated book? There isn't, like, any actual source material here... just a ride.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wait, what's wrong with adapting an unrelated book? There isn't, like, any actual source material here... just a ride.
It's not really that it's unrelated, it's more the recycling aspect, or rather the combination of the two. And it wouldn't bother me if the movie was good.

Sure, Pirates is just a ride at Disneyland, it isn't based on anything with a real story. The ideas the first movie had were still creative, wholly original, some effort went into it. I have no idea how accurate it was to the ride (I've never been to Disneyland), but if it did lift ideas from it, that's OK because it was the starting point. The first two sequels were designed from the ground up to be part of the same world, so it felt like an organic continuation.

And that leads us into why adapting an unrelated book can be a problem. It tries to spin two plates at once, being a sequel and being an adaptation. If it had been an adaptation of those tie-in children's novels, or some other Pirates tie-in like a comic, that would have been fine because those were actually intended to build on the previous movies. But because On Stranger Tides had nothing to do with those characters or that world in the first place, what you get is Jack Sparrow running around with characters who were not in the first three movies, in plot that does not build on the story of the first three and generally seems out of place. Now if the movie was good and made smarter choices, maybe altering the story to fit the world and change it so that the new characters were ones actually from the previous movies, maybe it could have worked. And, while this isn't a problem for me as I've never read it, I'm sure fans of the book weren't happy that the movie was an abortion with Johnny Depp awkwardly shoved in.

TL;DR. After three movies there was an established world and the fourth one feels out of place as the story had nothing to do with it.

I hope that makes sense.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #5
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Ugh. 5 was bad enough. Does Depp not have enough work lined up with Fantastic Beasts or something?
Old 08-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #6
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I'm going to say...no.

Since it clearly seems like people are getting bored of him on top of all the bad press he's been getting lately.

ANYWAY, the Pirates franchise was better off as being more Will and Elizabeth's story than Jack's (though I'll always be a sucker for the Davy Jones story).
Old 08-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #7
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Diminishing returns, man, goddamn diminishing returns!

Spoiler:
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:11 AM   #8
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I am still interested in the franchise though I am mad they killed one of the better characters of the series.

I hope for some more mythical sea monsters and no undead...unless we can get Blackbeard's ghost.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #9
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

They're bringing Davy Jones back, if the end credits teaser is to be believed. Stupid.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I feel that the first three movies should have ended the Pirates craze. But, the directors wanted to trap Will into the curse of being captain of The Flying Dutchman & its crew.

I only liked the forth movie for Geoffrey Rush, haven't seen the fifth movie yet and I hope the sixth (?) movie will finally put the Pirates to rest with a final ending.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #11
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I would actually be happy if they brought back Davy Jones, he is my favorite villain from the series.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Davy Jones was fantastic and I need his theme music in my life so much more in my life.

Spoiler:
Why do I have a thing for antagonists with tentacles somewhere on their bodies who have something an unfortunate history??? Why am I like this???

Furthermore, why haven't I gatewayed to Mindflayers/Illithids from Davy Jones???

Last edited by Utrommaniac; 08-07-2018 at 11:46 AM.
Utrommaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Davy Jones absolutely was the best villain. But his story's over; it doesn't make sense to bring him back, and it reeks of desperation in hopes of continuing the franchise.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #14
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Honestly, I'd take a prequel, though that would remove all the mystery in the Calypso situation.

IDK, a straight-to-Netflix standalone would be nice.

I don't care, so long as Jack isn't involved. His schtick his gotten old. He was really only interesting in the first movie, when the universe didn't revolve around him

Hell, I'll take a short of Will taking Elizabeth to the "other side" when she's a little old lady, and how both of them deal with that situation as a whole.
Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #15
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Even though she said that she would not come back and yet still made a brief appearance in the latest film, Keira Knightley says that we probably shouldn't expect her to return as Elizabeth in another installment. The reasons why is because the filming for these movies take a long time to make and she is a mother now. I guess the only way we'd ever see Elizabeth again is if she has a very short scene like the one in the fifth film.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/245...aribbean-movie
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #16
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

No sixth film. They've been on a decline ever since Stranger Tides, though I know most of you would say since the first one.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:31 AM   #17
drgon78
Mad Scientist

I actually like stranger tides over the 3rd one. The last one wasn't as bad as everyone says but I did have some problems with it.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #18
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Apparently, the next film will be reboot and Deadpool scribes Reese and Paul Wernick will be working on the script. I think it's possible that this could be a spin-off or prequel.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/pirates...pp-1202488160/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 08:24 PM   #19
drgon78
Mad Scientist

Well it lost my interest.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Apparently, the next film will be reboot and Deadpool scribes Reese and Paul Wernick will be working on the script. I think it's possible that this could be a spin-off or prequel.

https://deadline.com/2018/10/pirates...pp-1202488160/
Because of course it is.