The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

2018–2019 Christmas and holiday season

Thanksgiving (depending on where you live, it's in Sweden alredy in October) Black Friday is just around the corner, and then begins the Christmas and holiday season definately, lasting around mid-January. Next stop is Cyber Monday.

The upcoming week is also First Advent Sunday. Then it continues throughout December, the main Christmas Days, New Year and into January beyond Epiphany Day.

Advent and Christmas candles lighting up every town, churchbells ringing and Christmas music evrywhere (I feel sorry for people who work in shops...). Television series taking breaks between mid-November and late-January, and replaced with Christmas films and programmes. Children asking when they will get their Christmas gifts.

Here you can talk about what you like with Christmas, memories and traditions and share the Christmas songs you like.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 12-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
Prowler
Emperor

Thanksgiving does not exist here, so...

I'm not sure what Cyber Monday and Epiphany Day are...?

Black Friday was imposed in Europe by retailers in order to make more money, just like Halloween was, neverminding the fact it has NOTHING to do with most European cultures. But globalisation only has its pros, right?

Christmas decorations are always nice to look at. As for the day itself to me it's just a normal day where EVERYTHING or close to it happens to be closed, making it a hassle to go shopping for food in the days before it. New Year's is a pain as well. Since I'm an adult and can just buy something I want anytime I want to, Christmas no longer means anything to me.

All of my great Christmas memories are from my childhood, up until I was 12 years old. Between 13 and 17 Christmas was also good still, but not as magical anymore. But still, it meant a new video game or two or a new DVD boxset, so I still loved it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
I'm not sure what Cyber Monday and Epiphany Day are...?
This is Cyber Monday, a day for Internet shopping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Monday

Epiphany Day is the final major day of Christmas. It exists in Portugal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipha...iday)#Portugal
Old 11-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #4
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
This is Cyber Monday, a day for Internet shopping

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber_Monday

Epiphany Day is the final major day of Christmas. It exists in Portugal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epipha...iday)#Portugal
I never did any of that that's described in that wiki paragraph. It's not something general, it's probably more of a localised thing in small towns and villages or something. I live in the capital city.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #5
Overlord

I don't mind Christmas Day much in general, it's more the Christmas and holiday season in general I like, from late-November until mid-January.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 12-04-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
newfan
Mad Scientist

Got my tree up already, I prefer to use a fake (they've improved over the years ) Presents nearly bought (because having to buy a lot of gifts too close to Christmas isn't fun) and Christmas songs in the car.
I drink less alcohol at Christmas these days but still have some, usually buy a bottle of baileys around Christmas time.

Last edited by newfan; 12-03-2018 at 09:57 AM.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
Overlord

Christmas music

Time for some Christmas music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9jbdgZidu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Vfp48laS8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTtc2pM1boE
Old 12-03-2018, 01:56 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

My family is going to end up doing Christmas pretty early.

Our housemate who's lived with us for the past four or five years is probably going to move to Galveston before Christmas. My youngest brother is set to join the Navy (which I'm surprised he hasn't joined some kind of military force already...in spite of coming from an Air Force family.). I'm going to be in Canada over actual Christmas with PrincessUtrom. My parents are going to be spending Christmas together at The Cliffs Resort near Mineral Wells.

This is including my mom wanting to decorate for the first time in a couple years, since everyone will be here. Including my sister-in-law and the dogs.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:15 PM   #9
Storm Eagle
Saved by

I don't decorate my apartment with Christmas material or anything like that, but I take in the Christmas spirit in my own way, by just savoring the buildup towards Christmas day itself. I like seeing the way people decorate their houses with lights and seeing them all lit up at night.

I used to watch Christmas specials and Christmas-themed episodes on Christmas day itself, but since I've gotten more, I just watch them on the days that lead up to it. I watch them all in the order in which they came out.
Storm Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:25 AM   #10
The Deadman
Foot Elite

I usually start my Christmas movie watching in the middle of the month. So wooo.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #11
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Finally started to get the tree up this weekend. Hopefully get a couple of cards out to the mail tomorrow.

Will be a little different this year, since the sister, nephew, and brother-in-law now live in a separate edition in the back. Since they intend on doing their own Christmas morning now just them, mom and I may just exchange our own at that point rather than wait forever for them to come over here for part 2. Because god knows a 2-year-old may end up needing to be put down for a nap prior for however long...

-----------------------

Came across this. Rather unexpected...

https://stylecaster.com/kardashian-christmas-card/
The Evolution of the Kardashian Christmas Card, from the ’80s to Now

Quote:
Following Kris and Caitlyn’s marriage, 1991 marks the first time the Kardashian-Jenners celebrated the holidays as a blended family. The picture featured the family in black velvet with red lipstick. It also included a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle in the back, dressed as Santa Clause, because why not? “My mom decided that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was going to be the theme and we all had to wear black velvet with red lips!” Kim wrote on a Celebuzz blog.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
Leo656
The Franchise

Jesus, how'd they fit that much "Crazy" into one room. Unreal.

This doesn't improve my opinion of TMNT fanatics one single bit.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 03:47 AM   #13
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfan View Post
Got my tree up already, I prefer to use a fake (they've improved over the years ) Presents nearly bought (because having to buy a lot of gifts too close to Christmas isn't fun) and Christmas songs in the car.
I drink less alcohol at Christmas these days but still have some, usually buy a bottle of baileys around Christmas time.
I like buying them between late-November and early-December, when towns are decorated for Christmas and Christmas music streams over the loudspeakers.

Shopping has become easier. Because of online shopping taking over, shops are less crowded than 25 years ago.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:22 AM   #14
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
I like buying them between late-November and early-December, when towns are decorated for Christmas and Christmas music streams over the loudspeakers.

Shopping has become easier. Because of online shopping taking over, shops are less crowded than 25 years ago.
Yeah, the timing sounds about right, close enough to have the Christmas Spirit but not stressed and rushed. So far as busy though, shops are still busy at the weekends this time of year even though the internet has made it easier, I choose to go in the week where I can.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 07:17 AM   #15
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have all my shopping done, and food is ready to start cooking for tomorrow. Our family usually does Christmas a little early, like the Sunday before the actual day, so everyone can get together. Hubby and I have our own "Yule" alone on Christmas Day. Technically, I celebrate Solstice/Saturnalia, but I enjoy a lot of the Chhristmas traditions, so we sort of do both.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #16
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Hadn't had the time to decorate this year, didn't really feel for it either. We got a Xmas stocking up for the dog

This year I'm celebrating Yule with my dad, it's been a few years since I've been there for Yule. it's going to be very different now that he's divorced and found a new wife, and gotten a new kid. But I'm sure it'll be nice. Don't know what we're having, be it pig ribs, lamb ribs, turkey or cod. It's all traditional Yule food here in Norwa. I'm hoping for pig ribs, but since grandpa is going to be there I'm thinking it might be cod since he grew up with that. Or we're getting something more traditional from Uganda where my dad's new wife is from.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

So who doesn't have Turtles on their Christmas tree..?
Old 12-23-2018, 12:00 PM   #18
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't. I think I had an ornament a long time ago, though.

I was way ahead on shopping this year, for a change, but as I told the cashier yesterday, "It just doesn't feel like Christmas shopping if it's not last-minute, rushing around and bumping into people."

My wife and I finally got done with all the shopping last night, followed by a giant "wrapping party" I had a particularly good year at work, plus my client at work hit me up with an AMAZING gift of a $150 prepaid VISA card, so I was able to spoil everybody pretty good this year. I know it's probably lame to some people, OR some people can't relate to the feeling or experience, but I love Christmas shopping and wrapping presents. Like yeah, it's a hassle, and stressful, and time consuming, but it's once a year and it feels good to pay it forward. I've been in the position of both not getting much, nor being able to give much for Christmas, so I try and take it as far as I can when I get the chance. The stressful stuff comes with it, but again, it's just once a year so I try and take the good with the bad and focus more on the good. I hate standing in line for an hour, but it's not like I have to do it every day, so whatever.

While we were at the mall last night, my wife and I finally got our picture with Santa. We always plan to and then forget, and apparently that's been bugging her for a long time, so it's good we finally made it happen. No joke, waited in line for an hour, made more "colorful" by the impatient 3 or 4-year old kid behind us who, indeed, did NOT want to stand in line for an hour. To his credit, the kid's Dad was extremely patient and kept joking with the kid through the whole thing (the Mom repeatedly tried to take the kid and leave, on account of him being a pest ). But whatever, we got it done. My wife wasn't sure if it was okay to sit on Santa's lap, as she was worried about hurting him; he's like "I have a 350-lb. deadlift, you're fine."

I more or less know a couple things I'm getting. I had put the new Super7 He-Man and Skeletor action figures on my list - they look like Filmation cartoon versions of the classic 1980s sculpts, just like Funko's "Savage World" toys based on other franchises - but when my wife tried to order them online, it said they wouldn't ship until January. So yesterday, we were in FYE and I actually saw them there. So I kinda "steered" my wife over in that direction and "dropped" one of them on the ground near where she was standing. We are not subtle hint-givers. I don't care if I basically had to hand them to her; I WANT THOSE FIGURES!!!

This morning, we went to see my buddy near where I work. He used to be a client of mine, then I stayed with him for a couple months some ways back. He's been saying all his recent video games have him in kind of a rut, so I got him Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes & Phantom Pain, since he and I have been talking about it a lot lately and he hasn't played any of the recent ones. And he's a huge Kingdom Hearts guy, so I got him this awesome MetalFigs Sora figure that's like 6-7 inches tall; kinda jealous, frankly, as it's an awesome shelf piece. He's the "Don't get me anything" type - please don't be that type, people! - but he seemed pretty happy. He couldn't wait to get Sora out and on display, that was neat.

So far things are going well. I have to work tomorrow morning, then at night we're going over my wife's family's for dinner, then after that we might go to a movie. Then we'll do presents at midnight. We always put little hints on the back of everything, so the days leading up to the Big Reveal are full of mystery and suspense. I don't remember how it started but now it's mandatory.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Leo656; 12-23-2018 at 10:07 PM.
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #19
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

My god, someone else does love wrapping gifts, I'm not alone after all!

Got most of mine wrapped last weekend. I swear we're keeping it a bit more subdued this year, and yet it still took me quite a few hours. But wrapped the last one today... birdseed and suet blocks for mom, since she's big on her bird feeders. Wrapped in blue velociraptor/snowflake paper. Seriously, Dollar Tree has had some awesome paper choices these last few years.

Had some TMNT paper (3 different ones) from last year that I got there and used some of it for my nephew this year. He'll be getting his first two Turtle figures from me. Right after he was born I'd grabbed a handful of figures to put away for him. Mostly the little Half Shell Heroes (that I'll probably wait to start giving after he's 3 or older), but also got one of the bigger chunky ones that move the arms when you push the head down. Have had the Mikey of that put away for him, so he'll be getting that, and from eBay I'd also grabbed one of the talking versions of those (Donnie) some months ago to add to it.

His BIG gift however from me is the Furreal Friends dragon, Torch. He has been on a dragon kick since Halloween, after seeing a big decoration in a store. He's gotten a stuffed animal or two, but at 2 1/2 he's convinced that it needs to breath fire... Because apparently the Halloween decoration, according to my sister, did have a smokey effect.

Sooo... I'd hunted around online and found Torch via eBay, which I can only assume probably works by the same "fire breathing" mist effect that the Halloween decoration used. Cutest little thing. Scrolled eBay for two days and managed to get a decent looking one that works for a decent enough price (esp compared to how much they orignally sold for two years ago -- yikes). He's at a pretty judgemental age right now, but hopefully he'll love it.

Spoiler:
Old 12-23-2018, 10:30 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
I have Turtles on my tree! Three whole sets, in fact, two from Hallmark, and the other is actually a set of keyring figs that I hang as ornaments. Plus a Raph on top of a "broken ball ornament" also from Hallmark. I tried to get all of them that have come out. I also have almost all of the Marvel hero ornaments they have made, (one broke while putting them up this year ) plus a Wonder Woman one, so when it comes time to change the tree around FCBD, I can put them all back up for that, too!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote