The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 04-07-2020, 06:23 PM   #1
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

how the wall comes down

i know this might be in bad taste with what's going on in the world right now, and i don't mean to come across like that, but i gotta talk about something with the comic on hiatus. there's only two ways i see the wall coming down. first is a natural disaster and the other is an invasion alien or otherwise. it's just because of the way humanity is, they only remember people are people when it affects them, so...

1. natural disaster of some kind
something needs to happen to the city where everyone and I mean everyone has too pull together to try and help/rescue people. be it weather gone mad or a fire out of control.

2. an invasion alien or otherwise
there's one thing I know that piss's people off and that's someone coming in and trying to enslave or kill them. so I can see a line "this is our home too!" being used because the thought process of us and them comes into play.

then again maybe we'll see someone in authority above Baxter saying "mr. stockman tear down your wall!"

what ever happens down the road it'll be interesting to see what they come up with. your thoughts and ideas?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:53 PM   #2
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Wasn't sure you were talking about the comic for a second. Heh

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
ChosenOne
Banned

Why not both? An alien invasion or something similar is usually a stand-in for a natural disaster anyway.

I hope we get to see everyone, and I do mean everyone, even the EPF and the mutants, standing together against a larger threat at some point. I've been hoping for that for a long time. Null and Maligna would do fine.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
lonewarrior20
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
Wasn't sure you were talking about the comic for a second. Heh
kinda scary how life art imitates life and vice versa isn't it?

"If the sun comes up tomorrow, it is only because of men of good will. That is all there is between us and the devil."
Kenny O'Donnell

https://www.deviantart.com/lonewarrior20 my fan comic/episodes of the lost season, weird ideas and my collection pics
lonewarrior20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #5
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewarrior20 View Post
kinda scary how life art imitates life and vice versa isn't it?
Not really. The wall around Mutant Town is meant to turn it into a ghetto, not to uphold a sovereign nation's immigration law.

Plus, a fictional African-American politician ordered the wall around Mutant Town built in a short amount of time, whereas in real life, an African-American politician only added a little over 100 miles to what had already been built by a number of others before him. In other words, he didn't build that.

Last edited by ChosenOne; 04-07-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
neatoman
Emperor

Like this:

But seriously, my personal guess is that Ch'Rell pops up and recruits most of them to join his mercenary army to fight Maligna. Either that or something else that removes the overwhelming majority of Mutant Town, having literally thousands of mutants running around New York seems to be a bigger can of worms than what's worth dealing with, why do you think they're contained right now? I sincerely believe this will only last long enough to introduce a couple of characters Tom/Bobby/Sophie/other writers don't want a complicated explaination for.

The easiest, and weakest solution, would just be to cure or kill them. Not a fan of the killing idea because it's kind of lazy. And a cure opens up other problems not worth dealing with. The reason I'd prefer the Ch'Rell takes them fight alien wars is because:
  1. It gets most of them out of focus.
  2. The prospect of integrating amongst various aliens would be appealing to them, seeing how there's nothing for them on Earth, which could in turn lead to a happy ending for some that isn't a problem.
  3. Simply being told that the Mutagen being based on Utrom resources might make the promise of a cure seem more legit, even if he never intends to give them one.
  4. It follows up on the Maligna and Ch'Rell threads.
  5. It can be used to give the proposed self-defense training from the turtles negative consequences, as the training would be used in a way they never intended or wanted.
  6. And yes, if so desired, it could result in a cure or mass kill off. Albeit in a way that would set up new threads and conflicts.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #7
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I need to know what Baxter is planning, because on the surface the giant wall and long term isolation of Mutant Town seems very strange. In #101 he talks about an airborne mutagenic agent. It’s been 6 months, anything airborne would have to be dissipated right? Baxter has worked with mutagen before, he knows mutations aren’t contagious. Why is he isolating a large part of Manhattan and essentially ceding control of it to a mutant terrorist group? Does he have some ulterior motive for it all?
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 PM   #8
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
But seriously, my personal guess is that Ch'Rell pops up and recruits most of them to join his mercenary army to fight Maligna.
I like this a lot. We have the orphans going off to another planet, why can't the mutants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutant Ninja Anole View Post
I need to know what Baxter is planning, because on the surface the giant wall and long term isolation of Mutant Town seems very strange. In #101 he talks about an airborne mutagenic agent. It’s been 6 months, anything airborne would have to be dissipated right? Baxter has worked with mutagen before, he knows mutations aren’t contagious. Why is he isolating a large part of Manhattan and essentially ceding control of it to a mutant terrorist group? Does he have some ulterior motive for it all?
Didn't he actually develop the stuff? Of course he knows it's neither contagious nor airborne, that's just what he told the public to justify the creation of what is essentially a mutant concentration camp. I'll go out on a limb and say Null convinced him to isolate the mutants, for whatever reason we don't yet know.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #9
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Good point. It's very likey that this mutant town is little more than a giant lab experiment. A few issues earlier, Stockman was discussing further research with Null, implying there is something more going. Also, keep in mind that it is the EPF who has official control over Mutant Town, an institution show little in mutants other than to experiment on them to keep the aliens away.

Oh, and remember Null's mystery client? Maybe this client has some interest in the mutants?
Hahahaha!
Old 04-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #10
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Oh, and remember Null's mystery client? Maybe this client has some interest in the mutants?
Maybe as slave labor for when said mystery client takes over the planet? Null has been developing mutants for a number of very specific tasks/purposes. Though this line of thinking rules out Maligna, who already has her own slave race and even specialized warriors. Who knows, maybe Null's client is someone none of us have thought of yet or even an original character (but that wouldn't be as cool as adapting some other classic big bad).
Old 04-07-2020, 08:37 PM   #11
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

I was actually reading the issue where Madame Null was talking to her alien client today and she specifically said they would have the earth purged and ready for them.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:46 PM   #12
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I was actually reading the issue where Madame Null was talking to her alien client today and she specifically said they would have the earth purged and ready for them.
I forgot about that, it's a bit hard to keep track of a subplot that's been featured even fewer times than Kitsune's plans for Saki at about the same point in its development. So what does she want with Stockman, I wonder...? Does Mutant Town even figure into it, or was that all Stockman's idea?
Old 04-08-2020, 05:39 AM   #13
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
I thought that was Nul "selling" Earth to Malinga in Archie Adventures?
Old 04-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I thought that was Nul "selling" Earth to Malinga in Archie Adventures?
Don’t know the Archie comics but if they were, it seems they have the same idea, just need to get rid of the current tenants.

EDIT: Okay, so I work at a library (closed to the public, but I do work from there). The issue is from TMNT Universe vol 4 and is the issue when Raph and Alopex fight Zodi and a debuting Krisa (snake girl) and disrupt Null’s mutant program by freeing a bunch of animals. There was a lab where they were growing some kind of creatures, I don’t have scans ATM.

Madame Null receives a call afterwords and says “We suffered a bit of a set back tonight but rest assured, we’ll have the planet purged and primed for you right on schedule.”

If the idea is to prepare earth for an incoming alien race, then, who knows, perhaps they need to destroy humanity and build a mutant slave class for them, I don’t know. Questions to be answered later.

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 04-08-2020 at 09:54 AM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Or maybe the wall will never come down.
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:51 AM   #16
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
EDIT: Okay, so I work at a library (closed to the public, but I do work from there).
Holy ****, that's awesome! What I wouldn't give...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie Campbell View Post
Slap a big-ass roof over it and Mutant Town becomes the coziest, most secure piece of prime real estate in Manhattan. Who's laughing now, Stockman?
Old 04-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #17
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Well there you have it

I mean, I personally wasn't expecting it to come down anytime soon. Given New York's apparent attraction to organized crime wars and alien invasions of late, I sort of wonder if events don't put the residents of Mutant Town in the position of wanting a nice medieval style wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChosenOne View Post
Holy ****, that's awesome! What I wouldn't give...
Heh, I like it, I do think people seem to assume I just read all day and that's annoying. I miss the patrons since Covid shut us down though.

Quote:
Slap a big-ass roof over it and Mutant Town becomes the coziest, most secure piece of prime real estate in Manhattan. Who's laughing now, Stockman?
Plot twist, Stockman bought up all the real estate months ago.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Kind of re-enforces the idea that Mutant Town is a large scale science experiment disguised as quarantine. Wonder what the primary research is though?
  • Positive/negative mutations?
  • Mental health?
  • Isolation?
  • Changes in social interaction?

Genetic research seems like it would be obvious but nobody is going in to collect samples as far as we've seen.
Hahahaha!
Old 04-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #19
ChosenOne
Banned

Quote:
I mean, I personally wasn't expecting it to come down anytime soon. Given New York's apparent attraction to organized crime wars and alien invasions of late, I sort of wonder if events don't put the residents of Mutant Town in the position of wanting a nice medieval style wall.
Not gonna do much against mystical dragons, though.

Quote:
Heh, I like it, I do think people seem to assume I just read all day and that's annoying. I miss the patrons since Covid shut us down though.
As a kid, I lived just across the street from a local library housed in a big, beautiful historical building and I spent almost all of my free time there. While there's much more to that job than most people think, the quiet, the peaceful mood of a library and just the smell of books more than make up for having to deal with the public and spend all day reshelving books. I used to do that last one myself to spare them the trouble, too, once I had UDC figured out.

Quote:
Plot twist, Stockman bought up all the real estate months ago.
I have no doubt he's enough of a wily bastard to have done just that before the first brick of that wall was even laid down.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:10 PM   #20
Mutant Ninja Anole
Stone Warrior

Glad the library gave such good memories for you! Really, it was similar to me.

The whole wall thing is weird. At the risk of imposing outside context into the story, when it first showed up at the beginning of this arc it had all the implications of current border politics, and was built on the idea of, essentially, a hoax disease. As the arc comes to a close, in the real world we have a real disease, an increased emphasis on the need for the sort of restrictions we see in things like borders, but also debates about to what extent the government should go to restricting people’s behavior for the public good. It’s...a bit odd to look back on that now. Not sure what that all means, if anything, but it’s weird.

EDIT: Just to add: As is, the arc is probably more about people coming together in tough situations and dealing with change than any strict political analogies.

Last edited by Mutant Ninja Anole; 04-08-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Mutant Ninja Anole is offline   Reply With Quote