The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2017, 03:06 PM   #21
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Where do you guys go for gaming news/forums now?
That's the question I am trying to solve now.

Most of the NG discussions were shitstain, but they actually were very fast in delivering various news. Now, I guess, I resort to checking some Twitter feeds from sites like IGN and...I dunno.
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
Papenbrook
Mad Scientist
 
Papenbrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: My Husbando's Apartment
Posts: 1,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Wow, wild month for this kind of news.
I imagine that the Harvey Weinstein scandal and the #metoo movement inspired many people to come forward to tell/voice/discuss their own experiences with sexual harassment/assault and rape.

Companies might change/update their policies on sexual misconduct, and will probably take the victims more seriously.

Last edited by Papenbrook; 10-22-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #23
The Deadman
Mad Scientist
 
The Deadman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PApagreg View Post
I personally go to the escapist, also sucks what happened to Neogaf I enjoyed the Toonami community over there
The Escapist is apparently in dire straits at the moment as well, albeit not for the same situation.
__________________

Last Movie Watched: Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth (1992).
Last TV Show Watched: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (S3:E2).
Last Video Game Played: NBA Live 18 (XBO).
http://bloggerofthedead.blogspot.com/​
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #24
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,505
Like, there is a huge thing going on right now with sexual harassment all over the place and...the only thing people care to discuss is how ****ing message boards and cartoons like Loud House are affected. Jesus Christ, people.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #25
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Like, there is a huge thing going on right now with sexual harassment all over the place and...the only thing people care to discuss is how ****ing message boards and cartoons like Loud House are affected. Jesus Christ, people.
This topic is specifically about NeoGAF closing.

If you want to discuss those events in general - create a new topic for this. What's the problem?
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #26
dl316bh
Hench Mutant
 
dl316bh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Companies might change/update their policies on sexual misconduct, and will probably take the victims more seriously.
I hope so, but the next couple months are going to be telling. It depends on if people keep coming forward and people keep talking about it even if the news cycle moves on. Half the time, that's what they're waiting for.
__________________
dl316bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:06 PM   #27
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,180
Seems like a lot of old neogaf users are returning to IGN. There's a neogaf thread on the vestibule right now. I think it was also obvious a lot of the reasons IGN lost its activity was so many people left to go to neogaf, now they're coming back.

The others will probably go to reddit or /v/ or wherever. I could never just use something like twitter for gaming news, that's awful. I need a site and forums to navigate.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:10 PM   #28
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Never cared much for neogaf. Only knew the name. Was it even a good place for gaming discussions?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:13 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,180
There was a lot of good gaming news posted and it was the most active forum. The hate neogaf gets is the political side of it, but I never ventured outside the gaming sections much so I never saw it. There were also a lot of good threads on various cartoons/anime/movies, etc.

I discovered a lot of new movies to watch thanks to some threads there. They had active threads for all cartoons and anime too, like Dragonball Super, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:25 PM   #30
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There was a lot of good gaming news posted and it was the most active forum. The hate neogaf gets is the political side of it, but I never ventured outside the gaming sections much so I never saw it. There were also a lot of good threads on various cartoons/anime/movies, etc.

I discovered a lot of new movies to watch thanks to some threads there. They had active threads for all cartoons and anime too, like Dragonball Super, etc.
Political discussion? that's what made lots of people get tired of IGN boards, mainly The Vestibule, in the last few years as well.

I've only read a few NeoGaf threads so I'm not very familiarised with the website.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #31
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,670
It used to have great threads and discussions but eventually off-topic became only extreme-left political discussion and slowly it festered into the gaming section as well, you couldn't go to a topic without plenty of users mentioning how that game hated minorities/women/etc, if you disagreed they banned you so after a few years it got to the point where it was a huge echo chamber where no discussion could be had.

Google some of the bans people got on neogaf and topics users created, it almost seems like a left parody website. Seriously, google some, don't take my word for it, you'll get a laugh.

But yeah back in the day it had a lot of influence and it was great as gamers had voices, when it became all about censoring games that's when users and developers stopped giving a crap about neogaf which is why it became what it became and why most people are happy its gone.
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #32
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It used to have great threads and discussions but eventually off-topic became only extreme-left political discussion and slowly it festered into the gaming section as well, you couldn't go to a topic without plenty of users mentioning how that game hated minorities/women/etc, if you disagreed they banned you so after a few years it got to the point where it was a huge echo chamber where no discussion could be had.

Google some of the bans people got on neogaf and topics users created, it almost seems like a left parody website. Seriously, google some, don't take my word for it, you'll get a laugh.

But yeah back in the day it had a lot of influence and it was great as gamers had voices, when it became all about censoring games that's when users and developers stopped giving a crap about neogaf which is why it became what it became and why most people are happy its gone.
On IGN there is also a lot of political discussion and there are people of different ideologies posting there. IGN doesn't ban people as easily as gamespot and NeoGaf seem to do though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #33
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,180
Well also any new member there who is there under a year if you get banned once its permanent. It's not like other forums where you get a ban for a week or two and get to come back.

I only lasted 3 weeks there and got a ban. Funny thing is I don't even know what I did, the ban screen didn't give me a reason. It's a strict website.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:56 PM   #34
Prowler
Foot Elite
 
Prowler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 4,755
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Well also any new member there who is there under a year if you get banned once its permanent. It's not like other forums where you get a ban for a week or two and get to come back.

I only lasted 3 weeks there and got a ban. Funny thing is I don't even know what I did, the ban screen didn't give me a reason. It's a strict website.
Where? on NeoGaf? I've heard that gamespot forums are known for having nazi mods. I guess NeoGaf is kind of the same?

I like the modding style here in the Drome. Mods cannot ban anyone here. Only Machias and Krang can ban people afaik. And you don't get banned that easily around these parts. Bans here seem to usually be justified.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
So I've watched some of April O'Neil's "videos." They were OK, the lesbian massage ones were the best ones. I skimmed through some of the others, but eh.

I've seen better.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #35
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It used to have great threads and discussions but eventually off-topic became only extreme-left political discussion and slowly it festered into the gaming section as well, you couldn't go to a topic without plenty of users mentioning how that game hated minorities/women/etc, if you disagreed they banned you so after a few years it got to the point where it was a huge echo chamber where no discussion could be had.
I'd say, the fact that discussions on NeoGAF has become worse, was not only due to the far-left leanings of some of its members.
It was very typical for a self-contained community, incredible level of self-entitlement coupled with belief in their importance for industry and developers, as well as lack of self-awareness.

Their gaming discussion were barely any different from 4Chan's - they basically had two modes: "This game is the best game in the history of media" and "This game is the absolute pile of dogshit". There was no in-between pretty much.
And what's curious, the games that were highly praised on the forum, during their release, after several months were heavily criticized often for the very things they have been praised or due to some little and petty reasons.

Of course, they were some number of "untouchable" games, that always were praised and some games and characters that always were condemned, to the point that it was really "fashionable" to turn threads about those games and characters into topics with "funny" gifs and stupid "memes" only. Not very different from /v/.

Lunatic-leftists only served as the addition to all of the above, sometimes creating crazy discussions like "Why not give people option to skip boss battles?", "Is it immoral, if developers dare to hide information about their games, after it was leaked?" and the like.

In the last few months, it was fashionable to condemn developers and publishers for every perceived slight. If you was trying to say something good about them - then of course you was corporate shill, who was ready to eat everything that "evil corporates" had to offer. The funniest thing about this, that it was coming from the people who condemned elitism in gaming community.
Twice as funny that NeoGAF had some moderators and users who were indeed corporate shill, who allegedly were banning people for discussion of other consoles and games.

So, in the end, NG Gaming Discussion suffered not from "keyboard-progressives", but from elitism, the very thing that people on the forum "fought" against.

Go figure.

Off-topic discussions were just another can of crazy worms. Now this is where left lunatics were "shining" at their best.

It kind of symbolic that the last thread I have seen on NG was: "Why NeoGAF hated so much on Internet?". Some of the, "keyboard-progressives" come to conclusion that only people who hated NeoGAF were banned users and far-right.
But the final post in that thread could have summed up the whole story of NG in the last few years: "Zero self-awareness: The Thread".
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #36
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,180
There were also daily Trump threads with people talking about how much they wanted to immigrate to Canada or how they're, "tired of waking up in fear" every morning. lol.

I mean I don't like Trump either, but if you're seriously having mental breakdowns every day because he's President, then yes something is wrong.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:29 PM   #37
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
There were also daily Trump threads with people talking about how much they wanted to immigrate to Canada or how they're, "tired of waking up in fear" every morning. lol.

I mean I don't like Trump either, but if you're seriously having mental breakdowns every day because he's President, then yes something is wrong.
Yeah, fear mongering was on the whole other level down there.

Like some, supposedly black users, were seriously saying that there is big conspiracy going on and that absolutely all other races (white, asians and so on) hate all black people.

Hillary boot-licking and hate for everything related to Sanders was also of the charts, as well, as absolute belief, that Trump won only because of Russians and racists.
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #38
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: The Upsidedown
Posts: 6,553
I'm surprised that all of this didn't come out sooner, what with the huge emphasis on ethics in game journalism.
__________________
------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
A lot just get older and older and angrier and angrier, all the while waiting for the world to bend to their whim, never, ever really being satisfied with any of the "victories" achieved at large and wondering why no one outside of whatever construct bubble they've placed themself [sic] (look, I did it!) in wants to mess with them.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,180
Look at this thread on IGN welcoming neogaf refugees. There were also a lot of other neogaf threads on IGN lately:

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/th...ead.455043203/

LOL, as well as well as people saying, "We did it, Vesti, we got neogaf shut down...time to take out reddit next!"

Only on da Vesti.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:16 PM   #40
Sumac
Stone Warrior
 
Sumac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I'm surprised that all of this didn't come out sooner, what with the huge emphasis on ethics in game journalism.
Admin of NeoGAF was accused of sexual harassment as far back as 2012. And in July of this years, there was scandal, when it was founded that one of the mods had child porn or something like that.
So much for "highly-intellectual community fighting for equality and tolerance".

Well, they nailed tolerance part at least, just not exactly the right kind of tolerance.
__________________
Let's add some poison, shall we?
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.