The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Disney VHS openings

Does anyone here enjoy watching the opening to Disney films on VHS? Typically, there are about 10 minutes worth of advertisements before the film begin, and I find myself really enjoying watching them these days, just like I did when first getting these VHS tapes almost 20 years ago.

My favourite opening is to the 1997 VHS release of the Jungle book, 1967. I used to watch it alot back in my childhood but recently re-discovered it on youtube after having not watched it for more than 15 years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mOLrZ1Ijf8Y

All the ads I find enjoyable in one way or the other, but the highlight is 10:30, when it is announced the film is going to start. When I was young, I remember freaking out with joy when that screen came on since the combination of the catchy music, the announcers voice and the cool looking posters had me hyped for what would become my favourite animated film of all time.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 09-01-2017 at 05:38 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:37 PM   #2
sdp
-

Many VHS openings are nostalgic but mostly because we were forced to watch them over and over again as kids, I guess that's something newer generations won't have, well there were those forced ads on DVDs which sometimes you could if you pressed menu but not always.

I think here everyone will remember the Burger King VHS intros fondly.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

What? I didn't enjoy this ****, no one in my family did. We always fast forwarded it to get the movie. That's what everyone did, I thought until now. I'm flummoxed. People can get nostalgic over anything, I guess.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
Ninjinister
無問題

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
What? I didn't enjoy this ****, no one in my family did. We always fast forwarded it to get the movie. That's what everyone did, I thought until now. I'm flummoxed. People can get nostalgic over anything, I guess.
No kidding. These were by far the worst parts of a tape. The only time we ever let them play out is while we were settling in to watch (getting snacks or whatever first).

And I thought I was weird for liking the Emergency Broadcast System alerts as a kid.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #5
Roseangelo
Emperor

The only one of these I would consider legit enjoyable was the Pizza Hut baseball commercial before the first TMNT movie.
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

I used to fast forward, but now I might watch, just to see what trailers were attached to the movies.

Heck, back in the day I'd buy old taped off of TV tapes in hopes of awesome commercials...the programs mattered little.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #7
sdp
-

It's no different than how a smell or a song that you never liked can take you to back to a time in your life. We watched them if you didn't want to end up fast forwarding and the rewinding them if the movie had already begun.

Same reason people watch commercials we hated as kids on youtube, just look it up and see how many views all those commercials we hated. Now I don't think most people enjoyed them back then as much as OP but hey, if he did and does then more power to him.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #8
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I distinctly remember the Disney World openings, with kids being excited about going. Mostly just these two

(How many times has this family gone to DisneyLand for the older kid to be this experienced??? The punchline at the end is the best though)

I get hit pretty hard with remembering the mid 90's intros
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 PM   #9
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

I've always been the impatient type, always wanting to get straight to the movie and not waste time with other stuff. So, naturally, I never liked these and just skipped them.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:53 AM   #10
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
I distinctly remember the Disney World openings, with kids being excited about going. Mostly just these two

(How many times has this family gone to DisneyLand for the older kid to be this experienced??? The punchline at the end is the best though)

I get hit pretty hard with remembering the mid 90's intros
Ive never seen those (since my home country doesnt have Disney world) but they pretty charming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestronMirage22 View Post
I've always been the impatient type, always wanting to get straight to the movie and not waste time with other stuff. So, naturally, I never liked these and just skipped them.
I can kind of relate, as I like the ads more now than I did as a child. However, part of fun for me back then was becoming more and more hyped for the movie as the ads progressed, knowing that it wont be long.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:01 AM   #11
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

They came off the Lion King and Pocahontas VHSes respectively in the US.