The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Should Razhar and Tokka appear more?
Yes 15 50.00%
No 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #61
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Are you kidding? Dogpound's design was awful, and Rahzar was a much needed improvement. Besides his personality didn't change between mutation so it's the same character.

Also why do you keep saying, "not that character?" All Rahzar is, is basically a wolf. He had no backstory prior to the Nick cartoon.

Rahzar used to be nothing but a wolf mutated for Shredder in the second movie. In his original cartoon appearance he had no backstory and was just a random mutant who lived in the wild.

Nick's Rahzar has an actual backstory (Chris Bradford), has a personality, actually works for Shredder beyond being a "dumb feral mutant" and had a role in the series. Take off the nostalgia glasses, Nick's Rahzar is the best version of the character to date.
I liked Dogpound's design even if you didn't. Rahzar's design is alright but a little too hot topic for my tastes and doesn't fit Bradford.

Yes, Rahzar did not have a huge backstory and he didn't need one, he was fine without one, especially since his backstory here is basically eliminating an original character the show had made that wasn't terrible like snakeweed or whatever he was called.

|In fact one of my biggest issues with this show is taking established characters and making them totally unrelated to the character they're supposed to be. Just make new characters if that's what you're going to do with them. I still can't believe Hun is Bruce Lee in the CG show.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:41 PM   #62
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I still can't believe Hun is Bruce Lee in the CG show.
I'm just gonna kick back and wait for Cubed to somehow defend Nick's design to turn Hun into Bruce Lee after all the times he himself said he was so against it. I bet if the Nick show added turtle nostrils, he would still find some way to defend it, despite his huge distaste for them.

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Old 04-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

How do you people even believe what you're saying with this name only stuff?

Every version of Karai after Mirage was Karai in name only. 4kids Rat King was a failed Bishop clone, is he in name only too? Fred Wolf Baxter was a wimpy white guy with blonde hair instead of a black man. Archie Slash is an alien Turtle instead of a mutant like the other versions. Sometimes Splinter IS Hamato Yoshi and sometimes his pet rat.

Do you see how ridiculous you sound? By this logic every single character used again after whatever series they debuted in is the character in name only. Every character is changed and updated with new series. So why the hell do you single out one show over everything else? Laughably saying a Rahzar with no backstory is better than one with a past. Get real.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:52 AM   #64
Ninjinister
無問題

I'd rather see a decent (like 87 series) Rahzar and Tokka than any incarnation of B&R so far outside of IDW.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #65
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
I'm just gonna kick back and wait for Cubed to somehow defend Nick's design to turn Hun into Bruce Lee after all the times he himself said he was so against it.
[bitchvoice]Hun's just a small Chinese man? Why even call him Hun and not Akira?[/bitchvoice]
Old 04-13-2017, 08:54 AM   #66
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Those are all real words you ****ing retard. Rahzar is jibberish.
Wait a minute...there are real people called Metalhead?!

I don't see why both can't appear again and if it really annoys people here I definitely think they should.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:56 AM   #67
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Wait a minute...there are real people called Metalhead?!

I don't see why both can't appear again and if it really annoys people here I definitely think they should.
Um... as a nickname, absolutely yes.

You know anyone named Rahzar? Tokka? (Your imaginary friends don't count)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #68
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Um... as a nickname, absolutely yes.

You know anyone named Rahzar? Tokka? (Your imaginary friends don't count)
Metalhead isn't a name people are born with. As a nickname? Why not because of them? One TMNT fan calls themselves Tokka because of these two.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #69
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Metalhead isn't a name people are born with. As a nickname? Why not because of them? One TMNT fan calls themselves Tokka because of these two.
Yes, within the niche world of TMNT fans, you've found one guy with the nickname "Tokka". That still doesn't change the fact that "metal" and "head" are REAL English words, and "Metalhead" is a very common slang term for one who listens to metal.

When they created Tokka and Rahzar for SotO, they just completely made those names up, because they sounded cool. The 90's were a simpler time, and it was a silly ass movie anyways. These days, writers are held to a higher standard. That standard includes not just barfing up stupid names for your characters, even if they solely exist for the purpose of being made into Playmates toys.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 AM   #70
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Yes, within the niche world of TMNT fans, you've found one guy with the nickname "Tokka". That still doesn't change the fact that "metal" and "head" are REAL English words, and "Metalhead" is a very common slang term for one who listens to metal.

When they created Tokka and Rahzar for SotO, they just completely made those names up, because they sounded cool. The 90's were a simpler time, and it was a silly ass movie anyways. These days, writers are held to a higher standard. That standard includes not just barfing up stupid names for your characters, even if they solely exist for the purpose of being made into Playmates toys.
Exactly.

These aren't Klingons or Romulans... English names don't get made up.

Razor makes sense as a name, because it's a word. Rahzar is jibberish.

Snapper or Spike or Slash all make sense as names, because they're words; Tokka is gibberish and has nothing to do with ANYTHING.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #71
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Tokka is gibberish and has nothing to do with ANYTHING.
Unless you want to invent a pretend 'tribal jungle language', which involves the heavy lifting of connecting the Foot to some non-Japanese part of the world.

Or you can be a half assed weeb like cybercubed and make believe that it's a Japanese word "like Godzilla"
Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #72
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Unless you want to invent a pretend 'tribal jungle language', which involves the heavy lifting of connecting the Foot to some non-Japanese part of the world.

Or you can be a half assed weeb like cybercubed and make believe that it's a Japanese word "like Godzilla"
Tokka is a great made-up name. But it's nothing anyone would name a mutant unless they were an alien.

Actually, I take that back. Shredder might have realistically named Tokka IF Shredder thought that a herd of reindeer was intimidating. And if Oroku Saki were Finnish, Icelandic, Swedish, or Nordic.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tokka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages
Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #73
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:

Ok cool. I guess you're right then.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #74
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Tokka is a great made-up name. But it's nothing anyone would name a mutant unless they were an alien.

Actually, I take that back. Shredder might have realistically named Tokka IF Shredder thought that a herd of reindeer was intimidating. And if Oroku Saki were Finnish, Icelandic, Swedish, or Nordic.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tokka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages
Well, we just traced to lineage of Eric Sacks.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #75
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Well, we just traced to lineage of Eric Sacks.
And now I have a mental image of Eric Saxophone feeding his pet snapping turtle "Tokka" some lutefisk...
Old 04-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #76
sdp
-

Quote:
How do you people even believe what you're saying with this name only stuff?

Every version of Karai after Mirage was Karai in name only. 4kids Rat King was a failed Bishop clone, is he in name only too? Fred Wolf Baxter was a wimpy white guy with blonde hair instead of a black man. Archie Slash is an alien Turtle instead of a mutant like the other versions. Sometimes Splinter IS Hamato Yoshi and sometimes his pet rat.

Do you see how ridiculous you sound? By this logic every single character used again after whatever series they debuted in is the character in name only. Every character is changed and updated with new series. So why the hell do you single out one show over everything else? Laughably saying a Rahzar with no backstory is better than one with a past. Get real.

It's the difference between deviation vs variation, you can change a character and adapt him but there's a certain point where that character becomes someone entirely different and is no longer the same.

I'm not a fan of rat king in the 2k3 show but even then it could be seen more of a variation. Of course the OT and 2k3 had plenty of deviations but the Nick show did this with pretty much every character they wanted to re-introduce for nostalgia.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #77
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
It's the difference between deviation vs variation, you can change a character and adapt him but there's a certain point where that character becomes someone entirely different and is no longer the same.

I'm not a fan of rat king in the 2k3 show but even then it could be seen more of a variation. Of course the OT and 2k3 had plenty of deviations but the Nick show did this with pretty much every character they wanted to re-introduce for nostalgia.
Every character on the show that was based on the 80s series, were deviations of the originals, they felt like entirely new characters instead of old ones, It was one of my grievances about it, Tokka, Rahzar, Mona Lisa, Wingnut and Screwloose

The only character from the original that had a similar origin was Mondo Gecko, whose origin was loosely based on the archie comics.

Here's hoping the 2018 series is a new universe, and the characters they borrow are closer to there source material then what Nick universe has done.
Old 04-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #78
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:

LOL, 4kids Shredder was a goddamn Utrom. The Shredder, the human main villain of the Turtles was changed to an alien Utrom in 4kids.

You guys can't call out Nick for changing/updating characters when the 4kids series, IDW, Archie, etc. all did the same things.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #79
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
LOL, 4kids Shredder was a goddamn Utrom. The Shredder, the human main villain of the Turtles was changed to an alien Utrom in 4kids.

You guys can't call out Nick for changing/updating characters when the 4kids series, IDW, Archie, etc. all did the same things.
And yet he functioned as an actual Shredder, fulfilling all of the core functions and backgrounds of Oroku Saki (albeit with some changes). Same for Nick's take on the character.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #80
CyberCubed
Overlord

And I'd say most of the updated characters in Nick all form the same functions to make them true to their characters as well. That's why I don't understand some of these people's double standards here.

We finally have a Rahzar with an actual character and backstory, as opposed to the dumb feral mutant he was in the second movie. Until IDW introduces their version of Rahzar in the future...if that ever happens, Nick's version is still the most developed version of the character.
Closed Thread

Tags
cubedindenial