The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #61
liugeaux
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Remember it was mentioned that it was ooze not mutagen. This is the chemical that makes mutagen possible but does not change an animal or in some cases a human's form to appear like a humanoid animal.
True, but how many times in comics has a scientific calculation gone wrong and ended up changing a person? (I.E. Hulk, Lizard, Etc.) We can't expect April to use the "ooze" on her dad and there be absolutely no ramifications...its a comic book. Turning him into Leatherhead, would not only make sense but be a fantastic idea.
liugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #62
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Spoiler:
Good issue. I'm seeing a lot of problems with trust, (Raph & Alopex, Splinter & Leo.) The Foot's assassin class look awesome! I may not be popular saying this but I'm very glad to see April's haircut, the way Ross drew her the last 2 issues was just straight up Betty Spaghetti and it just didn't appeal to me. That said I am glad to see this change and I wonder how April will keep moving as a character in IDW, especially in May's issue.
spookycookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #63
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
Keep in mind that he mutated for season 2 of Nick's Ninja Turtles so IDW mutating him into a Wingnut lookalike or anything else like Leatherhead or other wise would seem like IDW is copying the idea. IDW is about ingrating old ideas and making them fresh with thier own added flavor. That being said I do not see that happening. Remember it was mentioned that it was ooze not mutagen. This is the chemical that makes mutagen possible but does not change an animal or in some cases a human's form to appear like a humanoid animal.
Plus we're talking about April. She's done the review and the research, she's vetted that it's as safe as can be determined.

It's not Mikey with ice cream.
SwiftNinjaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 PM   #64
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Plus we're talking about April. She's done the review and the research, she's vetted that it's as safe as can be determined.

It's not Mikey with ice cream.
Yeah she seems confident with what she has will work. Plus we have evidence from Arnold Jones and to a further extent Shredder that not all Ooze is mutative in nature.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #65
skylord
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookycookies View Post
Spoiler:
Good issue. I'm seeing a lot of problems with trust, (Raph & Alopex, Splinter & Leo.) The Foot's assassin class look awesome! I may not be popular saying this but I'm very glad to see April's haircut, the way Ross drew her the last 2 issues was just straight up Betty Spaghetti and it just didn't appeal to me. That said I am glad to see this change and I wonder how April will keep moving as a character in IDW, especially in May's issue.
Maybe this is just me, but I'm not a big fan of Ross' April and Casey. He does a fantastic job with all of the mutants, and I usually like how he draws people (Wet Moon and Glory look fantastic) but something about April and Casey just seem off to me personally. This, of course, is all subjective. The art is terrific overall and it always makes me happy knowing that a huge fan is such a big part of the process of these comics. There's a kind of love there that I don't often see in comics.
skylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #66
spookycookies
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylord View Post
Maybe this is just me, but I'm not a big fan of Ross' April and Casey. He does a fantastic job with all of the mutants, and I usually like how he draws people (Wet Moon and Glory look fantastic) but something about April and Casey just seem off to me personally. This, of course, is all subjective. The art is terrific overall and it always makes me happy knowing that a huge fan is such a big part of the process of these comics. There's a kind of love there that I don't often see in comics.
I agree with you. April & Casey have grown on me over time since Northampton began, but going into it they really weren't as well polished as the mutants are. I don't mean to be critical, (lord knows I can't draw people at all.) The Turtles are top notch, I wonder how Ross would draw Bebop & Rocksteady.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:11 PM   #67
BODYCOUNT
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Personally, while I liked the image and knew things were about to go down, the softer art Ross utilized with the Northampton arc left the appearance of Leo feeling a little lacking in the "badass" department.

Again, personally speaking, I felt that scene would have benefitted from switching to "Mirage-style Ross", with Leo standing against the black backdrop of a darkened corner, contrasted by his white eyes, blue bandanna, and the shimmer of his steel blades.

THAT would have been an iconic image!! (imho)
i feel you .. That sounds dope an all but the way it was done got the message across. I dont wanna play monday morning qb on my comics....
BODYCOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #68
Warboss74
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by liugeaux View Post
True, but how many times in comics has a scientific calculation gone wrong and ended up changing a person? (I.E. Hulk, Lizard, Etc.) We can't expect April to use the "ooze" on her dad and there be absolutely no ramifications...its a comic book. Turning him into Leatherhead, would not only make sense but be a fantastic idea.
Except there's no scientific calculation that could go wrong with the Ooze. It's been shown repeatedly during the series as a healing agent.

1) The last of the Utrom are kept in alive by the Ooze in stasis.

2) Tatsuo Takeshi, the founder of the foot clan, is kept alive far longer than a normal human by Kitsune and the Iron Demon using a concoction made from the Ooze.

3) Oroku Saki and Kitsune acheive eternal life with it by the end of the Secret History of the Foot Clan mini series.

4) Old Hob recovers from the gunshot wound using the Ooze.

5) A poorly out of shape Arnold Jones Sr. is revitalized by the Ooze return to his glory days as Hun.

I can't remember if this was actually discussed in the book or was brought up as a "word from god", but the whole reason the Ooze is important for the Super Soldier Mutagen is that the healing factor it has prevents the subject from being torn apart during mutation.
Warboss74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 04:44 PM   #69
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warboss74 View Post
Except there's no scientific calculation that could go wrong with the Ooze. It's been shown repeatedly during the series as a healing agent.

2) Tatsuo Takeshi, the founder of the foot clan, is kept alive far longer than a normal human by Kitsune and the Iron Demon using a concoction made from the Ooze.
Don't forget that it regrew his freaking foot as well!

Mr. O'Niel may come out a healed man, but a very changed man.

I can still imagine a "Super Shredder" scenario at some point if the ooze in Saki destabilized.

Then again, though, in the Shredder micro there was the scene of him in the future looking like a Cyber Shredder, so who knows.
Old 03-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #70
mrjafunk
Thug

I hate the current art work. The TMNT look real wimpy and girly right now. I hope a new artist takes over the book soon!
mrjafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #71
Eiko
Aussie and Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjafunk View Post
I hate the current art work. The TMNT look real wimpy and girly right now. I hope a new artist takes over the book soon!
Not a Ross Campbell fan I take it.
Eiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #72
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
I don't care for Ross Campbell's art either, but respect the man's work. He is a very talented artist. My favorite book he has done is the Leonardo Micro.
But I get what your saying he draws the turtles a little on the younger side. Honestly they look like they are 10 or 12, but how old are they suppose to be like 16 at this point???
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 03:21 AM   #73
FlawedCoil82
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Yea, I can definitely agree with that. The turtles do feel more feminine with his art style. I mean the cover of #30 could have very easily been an anime girl sitting on a rock with her hair blowing in the breeze instead of Mikey and his bandana. I like his art sometimes, and other times it seems a bit "off".
FlawedCoil82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #74
mrjafunk
Thug

At least I am not the only one then. His side characters are real good, but the TMNT themselves could easily pass on the - hey those are pretty girly lookin TMNT or a they are all everyone's favorite turtle, venus .
mrjafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #75
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

I think it was a good choice for the storyline, though. Santolouco's style was very fitting for the grittier storyline of City Fall and the turtles looked more aggressive in their very appearances, which fit the theme.

Northampton is a softer story, more peaceful and focused on more of the internal development for the characters so a softer art style actually fits with it. I can see and understand the dislike of the turtles' look, though.

I'm particularly interested to see how Santolouco draws Alopex in the future and if he softens her look at all. He drew her in City Fall being more aggressive in appearance with her being an enemy so I'm wondering if he alters her in his own style as an ally. Those subtle visual cues artists use to portray "bad guy/good guy" and all.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #76
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftNinjaFox View Post
Northampton is a softer story, more peaceful and focused on more of the internal development for the characters so a softer art style actually fits with it. I can see and understand the dislike of the turtles' look, though.
Yep, couldn't agree more! This personally why I think they chose Ross for this arc is bc of all the recent TMNT artist, his art shows a softer tone for the story and the emotions of the turtles, unlike previous artist.
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:22 AM   #77
Tazi
Mad Scientist

Back on Alopex's story, I think:
She is likely not a traitor, but Raph will probably try to beat her again... Which will result her disappointedly leaving the turtles, and joining Hob's group later.
Actually Alopex and Hob share somewhat similar backstory, she is a good candidate for the "mutant army".
Old 03-10-2014, 07:40 PM   #78
BODYCOUNT
Thug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazi View Post
Back on Alopex's story, I think:
She is likely not a traitor, but Raph will probably try to beat her again... Which will result her disappointedly leaving the turtles, and joining Hob's group later.
Actually Alopex and Hob share somewhat similar backstory, she is a good candidate for the "mutant army".
i can see that happening..
BODYCOUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 PM   #79
SwiftNinjaFox
Stone Warrior

I wouldn't be surprised to see Alopex running with Hob's crew for a while either.

Though I think long term she's likely to wind up an ongoing turtle ally and I'm still hoping Leo will trust her and Raph won't. I like having good foundations for Leo and Raph to fight.

But anything always takes a lot of twists and turns before getting to the end. Otherwise we'd already have run out of issues to buy.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 PM   #80
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

Yeah, I'm thinking Alopex and Hob are going to meet up soon too. Not sure I see that working out in the long run though... Hob is like this TMNT universe's Magneto and I don't feel Alopex has that level of hatred for humanity. But it'll be fun to watch.
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tom waltz