The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 09-29-2017, 06:59 AM   #61
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Imagine how cruel it would be if Rise was cancelled after 1 season, and we never hit the 500 episode mark for years to come.
I think at that point we can claim Turtles Forever as an episode, so we'll have our 500 there.
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:39 AM   #62
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biganimefan View Post
I think at that point we can claim Turtles Forever as an episode, so we'll have our 500 there.
Except that really it isn't. When it's broken down into episodes, parts have to be cut out to make it fit. That being the case, I've actually still never seen the movie in its entirety. I've only ever seen it on tv with the tv edits, and on dvd with the tv edits.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 03:00 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

The whole movie is online uncut.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:52 AM   #64
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The number now is usually 52-65 episodes. Many of the DC cartoons ended around that number.
It feels like animated seres in general have been getting shorter every decade. Back in the 80s and early 90s anime and cartoons were generally longer on average. Around the mid-late 90s it seems like the anime standard of 26 episodes was born. Maybe Evangelion or Cowboy Bebop can be blamed for this?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:19 AM   #65
Powder
So tired of this place

Generally speaking, it seems these kinda programs only last as long as the merch sales are strong. Toys are becoming less & less of a thing, so I guess cartoons start to run on fumes once Timmy drops his action figures for an ipad.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:23 AM   #66
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Generally speaking, it seems these kinda programs only last as long as the merch sales are strong. Toys are becoming less & less of a thing, so I guess cartoons start to run on fumes once Timmy drops his action figures for an ipad.
Really? that's kinda interesting and also a bit hard for me to imagine. Growing up as a kid and not owning action figures or toys? I guess video game consoles were the start of kids being given electronic devices as birthday and Christmas presents. That being said, I don't think toys will ever go away. It's the closest you can get to having a fictional character you like in your hands.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:56 AM   #67
Powder
So tired of this place

It's just that kids grow out of them quicker than they used to, far as I can tell, due in part to the accessibility of internet/technology. So the demographic for those shows probably doesn't last as long as they once did, if that makes sense.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:04 AM   #68
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
It's just that kids grow out of them quicker than they used to, far as I can tell, due in part to the accessibility of internet/technology. So the demographic for those shows probably doesn't last as long as they once did, if that makes sense.
Ah now I see what you're saying. Makes sense. Yeah, it seems like things move quicker these days and that people want more and more instant gratification. Back in 2002 you could still expect fans of your tv show to wait a full week for an episode or 3-4 months for the upcoming season. Nowadays, not os much anymore. People will just download or stream an episode online as soon as it comes out.

With all the choices people can make nowadays regarding entertainment and with how easy it is to obtain it, people end up setting priorities. They'll drop a show/game/manga/anime/wtv as quickly as they start a new one.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:31 AM   #69
CyberCubed
Overlord

The fact that the original TMNT cartoon really did go on 10 seasons and 193 episodes is staggering when you think about it. It really was the, "Pokemon," or "Simpsons" or "Spongebob" of it's day.

I seriously can't think of any other cartoons back then that reached nearly 200 episodes and went on 10 years. I don't even think Simpsons had that many episodes yet back in 1996...
Old 10-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #70
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
The fact that the original TMNT cartoon really did go on 10 seasons and 193 episodes is staggering when you think about it. It really was the, "Pokemon," or "Simpsons" or "Spongebob" of it's day.

I seriously can't think of any other cartoons back then that reached nearly 200 episodes and went on 10 years. I don't even think Simpsons had that many episodes yet back in 1996...
And you'd be right! The Simpsons only surpassed the FW series a couple of years after the FW series ended. I recall reading that somewhere.

Even when it comes to anime, only truly the likes of DBZ, Sailor Moon, One Piece, Pokémon, naruto, etc. have topped the FW series. American cartoons? Well the Simpsons, South park... and I guess other adult comedies such as Futurama and Family Guy? Not a lot. And don't forget the 2k3 series also surpassed the 100 episode meter. I don't remember exactly how many it had, but I think it was 157 episodes? That's also a lot. I didn't expect the 2k3 series to last more than 2-3 seasons. I thought the 3rd season would be the very last one.

If someone made a list of the longest running animated series ever in the history of mankind, the FW series would probably crack the top 50.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:51 AM   #71
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
The number now is usually 52-65 episodes. Many of the DC cartoons ended around that number.
Why do I remember reading when Star Trek Enterprise was on that they were trying to reach 88 episodes or is that for live action?

Quote:
Do they actually still make 65 episode syndicated cartoons to be shown daily any more?
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:36 AM   #72
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Do they actually still make 65 episode syndicated cartoons to be shown daily any more?
The 2003 Teen Titans, The Batman, and Brave and the Bold all ended at 65 episodes. Beware the Batman was canceled at only 26 episodes but that's because it wasn't popular.

It seems most DC shows end around there unless they become CN parody hits like Teen Titans Go.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:56 AM   #73
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Not sure what networks went by the 65 episode rule. Disney used it for a while but that seemed to phase out around 2003-2004. From what I understand, it was more to do with programming than with show popularity/not wanting a show to grow stale—With 65 episodes, one episode can be broadcast each weekday, reaching the 65th episode at the end of the 13th week (5 x 13 = 65). Thirteen weeks is one quarter of a year. Four 65-episode shows can be broadcast in a calendar year. And even then, there were quite a few exceptions to the rule if a show proved popular

But again, that’s just speculation. I don’t think there has been rigid schedules for some time but maybe some networks still use them.
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #74
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Simpsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
And you'd be right! The Simpsons only surpassed the FW series a couple of years after the FW series ended. I recall reading that somewhere.
I don't know when TMNT first broke the record, but Simpsons took over in late-February 1997, just three and a half month after TMNT ended in eraly-November 1996.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #75
CyberCubed
Overlord

Well Simpsons only has 22 episode seasons (and the first season only had 13 episodes), which is why despite Simpsons going on for decades it took them so long to hit 200 episodes.

Simpsons now has over 600 episodes and it's on Season 29. Oddly enough 600+ episodes seems like "a little" for a show airing for nearly 30 years like Simpsons. I would have thought it'd have like 1000 eps by now...but again they only make 22 eps a year...
Old 10-05-2017, 01:29 PM   #76
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Well Simpsons only has 22 episode seasons (and the first season only had 13 episodes), which is why despite Simpsons going on for decades it took them so long to hit 200 episodes.

Simpsons now has over 600 episodes and it's on Season 29. Oddly enough 600+ episodes seems like "a little" for a show airing for nearly 30 years like Simpsons. I would have thought it'd have like 1000 eps by now...but again they only make 22 eps a year...
The Simpsons should have been over around the turn of the century. Or, at most, around the time their animated movie came out.

It's odd. Most people complain how the new Simpsons aren't good, yet the show keeps getting renewed? It probably still has a large loyal fanbase to keep it on air.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #77
CyberCubed
Overlord

Probably because the people watching it now are obviously not the same people watching 10-20 years ago. This is the same for all shows that air across decades. New people or younger kids/teens discover a show for the first time while older fans phase out.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 PM   #78
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Probably because the people watching it now are obviously not the same people watching 10-20 years ago. This is the same for all shows that air across decades. New people or younger kids/teens discover a show for the first time while older fans phase out.
Sure, but considering how the current Simpsons don't hold a candle to classic Simpsons they can't be gaining many new fans.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #79
newfan
Mad Scientist

I have the original toon season 1&2 on order and also volume 1 of the 2k3 toon, just to get a look at them.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #80
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
The 2003 Teen Titans, The Batman, and Brave and the Bold all ended at 65 episodes. Beware the Batman was canceled at only 26 episodes but that's because it wasn't popular.

It seems most DC shows end around there unless they become CN parody hits like Teen Titans Go.
Apologies, what I meant was cartoon series that are screened daily that add up to 65 episodes for one season. Thundercats, He-Man, that kind of thing. I think they stopped doing that.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote