The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 02-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

So what is the Foot Clan symbol in IDW TMNT?

Is it a giant Foot or is it the 4Kids cartoon Foot symbol? Because I've seen both used in IDW TMNT and I feel like one should probably be decided on.

I have no strong feelings either way, but the giant Foot symbol has always looked goofy to me. Actually, they both kinda look goofy to me, though I guess the 4Kids one is the lesser of two evils.

Can't it just, like, be the Kanji symbol for Foot?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

I think they are using both the Fred Wolfish human foot symbol and 2003 series symbol because this series is supposed to be a meshing of everything, and to choose one over the other would be too lean more towards one cartoon influence.
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

I thought they used the giant Foot for the Feudal Japan era, and the 4Kids symbol for the modern era. Or am I remembering something wrong?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
thelouisguy
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Can't it just, like, be the Kanji symbol for Foot?
I like it.
Spoiler:
thelouisguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Matches Malone
Stone Warrior

I'm always down with kanji. I love how much Santoloucco has incorporated that and other Japanese influences into SHotF, and hopefully that continues with the ongoing.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
I thought they used the giant Foot for the Feudal Japan era, and the 4Kids symbol for the modern era. Or am I remembering something wrong?
That's correct. Although we've only seen the 4kids used in Sins of the Father. Secret of the Foot has used it, but not in the actual story pages.

Last edited by ToTheNines; 02-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
Cipher
Foot Elite

Just read "Sins of the Father" today and was actually wondering the same thing.

I actually prefer the Fred-Wolf literal Foot picture in this case, since at least it has an (actually pretty cool) explanation.

And feudal Japanese clans didn't just use kanji as their markers.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
Just read "Sins of the Father" today and was actually wondering the same thing.

I actually prefer the Fred-Wolf literal Foot picture in this case, since at least it has an (actually pretty cool) explanation.

And feudal Japanese clans didn't just use kanji as their markers.
Um... the Mirage comics used the literal foot symbol as well, which is where the cartoon got it from. They just didn't have the Foot actually wear it on their forehead...

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

I'd be down with both so long as IDW designated particular signifigance to each version.

Like the original Mirage "footprint" symbol represented the Foot Clan overall (since the symbol was created by Foot Clan founder Tatsuo Takeshi), while the 4Kids style "claw" could represent something unique within the Clan like say the Oroku lineage or something.

Last edited by DrSpengler; 02-19-2013 at 08:27 AM.
DrSpengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #10
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

In retrospect, has the Mirage "footprint" style symbol been used anywhere outside of the Feudal era Japan flashbacks? It's seen prominently there, but I can't recall off the top of my head if it has been used in the contemporary setting.

Likewise, the 4Kids "claw" style symbol appeared in Shredder's HQ in the modern day, so maybe the "claw" is just a current evolution of the "footprint"?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Personal taste, I prefer the Mirage/Fred Wolf symbol.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM   #12
DrSpengler
Foot Elite

So I figured why not just ask Bobby about it?

His answers:

Quote:
I'm trying to remember where we've seen the Foot print Foot symbol outside of the bloody imprint that Tatsuo leaves in the first flashback of Foot Clan #1. I don't think we saw it during Dan Duncan's run...

Remind me where else it's been?

We saw the 2k3 style during Andy's run, I know, and we'll see it again in a flashback in Foot Clan #4. So perhaps it is what Saki has used since establishing control over the Foot Clan (spoilers!!)

If you've got another instance of the Fred Wolf style being used, than that could debunk what I just said. Honestly, it's not something I personally have put any thought into until recently, so there may be an aberration I'm not remembering right now.
Quote:
Yeah, let's say the new symbol is Saki control-centric. Phew, that works out well... by pure chance!

I'll keep an eye on it moving forward.
So Mirage-style "footprint" symbol is the original overall Foot Clan symbol created by Tatsuo Takeshi when he founded the Clan.

The 4Kids-style "claw" symbol is unique to Oroku Saki and refers to his control of the Clan.

That actually does work out well within the context of the series, even if it was an accident.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
Cipher
Foot Elite

No-prizey, but it works for me.
Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Yeah, that works.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:30 AM   #15
Lampy
Stone Warrior

i've always thought that this was a conscious decision ever since seeing the foot-print symbol in #5 and confirmed in Andy Khun's run. it always made sense to make the original Mirage/OT symbol the "original" feudal japan era symbol in the IDWniverse and adopting the newer sleeker "claw" as the modern symbol. it always made sense to me... and apparently it was a fluke.
Lampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #16
funatic
Mad Scientist

Man, I love how the fandom can subtly influence these comics. Andrew proposes a decent question... Spengler asks the editor... and now it's on their radar to make sure they stick to this footprint:feudal::claw:modern continuity that WE helped define.
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #17
tengushredder
Foot Soldier

the 4 kids simbol is the best,more evil
tengushredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 10:34 AM   #18
Raptor86
Stone Warrior

I think that now this explanation works even more, since we know that Saki was destined to be the "new" dragon warrior...
Old 09-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #19
Sophie Campbell
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSpengler View Post
So Mirage-style "footprint" symbol is the original overall Foot Clan symbol created by Tatsuo Takeshi when he founded the Clan.

The 4Kids-style "claw" symbol is unique to Oroku Saki and refers to his control of the Clan.

That actually does work out well within the context of the series, even if it was an accident.
I accidentally just ruined this by drawing a 4Kids claw symbol in Tatsuo Takeshi's cave in Karai's Path which has nothing to do with Saki. D: I'm sorry!!!
Sophie Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 11:51 AM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

I always thought the distinction was that the human foot print was for the foot clan in the past and the claw was for the modern era reconstruction.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote