The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 07-06-2018, 05:46 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

RIP Steve Ditko Co Creator of Spider-Man & Doctor Strange

Artist Steve Ditko, who co-created Spider-Man and Doctor Strange with Stan Lee, has died at age 90.

The New York Police Department confirmed his death to The Hollywood Reporter. No cause of death was announced. Ditko was found dead in his apartment on June 29 and it is believed he died about two days earlier.

In 1961, Ditko and Lee created Spider-Man. Lee, the editor-in-chief at Marvel Comics, gave Ditko the assignment after he wasn't satisfied with Jack Kirby's take on the idea of a teen superhero with spider powers. The look of Spider-Man — the costume, the web shooters, the red and blue design — all came from Ditko. Spider-Man first appeared in Amazing Fantasy No. 15. The comic was an unexpected hit and the character was spun off into The Amazing Spider-Man. Ditko helped create such classic Spider-Man characters as Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard, and Green Goblin. Starting with issue No. 25 Ditko received a plot credit in addition to his artist credit. Ditko's run ended with issue No. 38.

In 1963, Ditko created the surreal and psychedelic hero Doctor Strange. The character debuted in Strange Tales No. 110 and Ditko continued on the comic through issue No. 146, cover dated July 1966.

After that Ditko, left Marvel Comics over a fight with Lee, the causes of which have always remained murky. The pair had not been on speaking terms for several years. Ditko never explained his side and Lee claimed not to really know what motivated Ditko's exit. The best explanation suggests Ditko was frustrated at Lee's oversight and his failure to properly share credit for Ditko's contributions to Spider-Man and Doctor Strange.

Ditko went on to work for Charlton, DC Comics and other small independent publishers. He returned to Marvel in 1979, where he worked on Machine Man and the Micronatus and he continued working for them as a freelancer in the 1990s. Among his last creations was Squirrel Girl in 1992, who has become a cult favorite in recent years.

After his work at Marvel, Ditko is probably best known for creating Mr. A in 1967. The character embodied Ayn Rand's objectivist philosophy, which Ditko was an ardent believer in.

The reclusive Ditko was known as the "J.D. Salinger" of comics. From the 1970s on, he rarely spoke on the record, declining almost every interview request. He sat out the publicity booms that accompanied the Spider-Man films and the Doctor Strange movie.

“We didn’t approach him. He’s like J.D. Salinger. He is private and has intentionally stayed out of the spotlight like J.D. Salinger," Doctor Strange director Scott Derrickson told THR in 2016. "I hope he goes to see the movie wherever he is, because I think we paid homage to his work."

Ditko maintained a Manhattan studio until his death, where he continued to write and draw, though how much and what unpublished material remain is unknown.

Stephen J. Ditko was born in Johnstown, Pennsylvania on Nov. 2, 1927. His father worked at a steel mill and his mother was a homemaker. He developed an interest in comics from his father (who loved Prince Valiant) and from Batman and the Spirit, which both debuted as he entered his teens.

After graduating high school, Ditko served in the army in post-war Germany, drawing for a military paper. After being discharged, he moved to New York City in 1950 and studied under Batman artist Jerry Robinson at the Cartoonists and Illustrators School (later the school of Visual Arts).

By 1953, Ditko was getting work as a professional comics artist, including at the studio of Captain America creators Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. Ditko came down with tuberculosis in 1954 and spent the next year recovering in Johnststonw. He began drawing for Marvel Comics forerunner Atlas Comics in 1955. He had a successful collaboration with Stan Lee at first, as the pair worked on a number of science fiction stories together.

Ditko has no known survivors. He is believed never to have married.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...was-90-1125489
Old 07-06-2018, 07:40 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Already a thread for it, but that's fine.

This is a real bummer. He had so much impact on the industry and most people have no idea about him.

On a lesser note, he was also notable for illustrating that not everyone who sees value in certain elements of Objectivist philosophy was some kind of lunatic; some of it's just common sense.

One of my favorite stories about Ditko involves his work on The Question; his co-writer had sent him a script in which Question said to a criminal some variant of, "Well my friend, you just don't impress me very much." And Ditko sent him a massive letter explaining in crystal clear detail why The Question would never, under any circumstances, refer to any criminal as "my friend", not even in a joking or sarcastic manner.

Things like that are why he had a reputation as being tough to work with, but you have to admire someone who adheres so strongly to their principles, especially about a character they created.

Sad news.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

This man helped created some of my favorite fictional characters and I wish him godspeed on his journey to the next life
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:51 PM   #4
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Surprised no one mentioned he created Ted Kord the second Blue Beetle(my second favorite)
PApagreg is offline   Reply With Quote