The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 AM   #1
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Random Thoughts: TMNT Edition

Ever have a thought, idea, or "headcanon" around TMNT that isn't worth starting up a new thread or necroposting, or just don't have anywhere else to put it?

Well, here's the place for you!

And as for a thought that's been buzzing around in my head...

I don't think the Utroms developed space travel and technology on their own.
Because of course that's the kind of topic that would come first in this thread.
Spoiler:
As smart as they are, I think they would probably have been too busy just trying to stay alive to try doing anything even remotely related to creating advanced technology. Even the 'mining for ore' parts of it. Leatherhead has proven their size is a pretty enormous disadvantage when it comes to the predator game, so at least in early stages.

Instead, they focused on building a civilization around their own prey's migration patterns, basically just eating anything that comes out of the water, and paying close attention to the things that did. Sure, they could master fire and rudimentary tools, but they probably weren't at a point where they could go much further until a species with hands came to them. One that has already mastered space travel came to their planet in a Star Trek-ish space exploration mission. Neutrinos or D'Hoonibs depending on which version you want to work with.
When they realize that the Utroms could by taught particle physics and quantum, they did.
And did they ever learn.

They end up looking like they caused this situation.

I'm not entirely sure of how the timeline of this would work, but it would probably be over several generations for sure. (If we still want to call bull on Utroms living for thousands and thousands of years - which I do.)
Old 04-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #2
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

One thing that has always bothered me about tmnt in general is how Shredder and the Foot Clan still used traditional Ninja weapons in a city where the Police Officers and such have guns.

For the turtles I can understand since they were raised in a sewer, where Splinter didn't have access to the latest technology, but Shredder clearly has power within the city and control over gangs and such, so I expected him to be more than in a state where the cops could bust him in a moment's notice if they ever suspected something about that big building in New York City.

Not something that I had a problem with in the Original Cartoon, since laser guns were the norm and Bebop/Rocksteady were well armed enough to easily outmatch the police while the technodrome could destroy the entire U.S army by itself.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Someone understands me... All those little random things that don't get mentioned because it's just gonna get ignored anyhow. (Where is much of the playfulness in this fandom...)

Such as, as I wondered a while ago, if the TMNT could each have a regular real world vehicle, what makes/models would appeal/suit each of them? (PD movies type cars excluded.)
Spoiler:
Raph's easy with the motorcycle, but besides that?

I could see Leo as a Jeep Wrangler kind of guy... tough and dependable, understated but awesome, and that it can be topless could be an asset for a guy with large weapons in a hurry who doesn't need to be slowed down by getting them and himself into the car.

Donnie I can't even begin to guess... but I'm sure he's added his own modifications.

For Mikey, maybe something with a similar vibe to the Wrangler; or also a Wrangler, but a bit more tricked out, "bikini" style top on nice days, and in a flashier color.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Mikey would totally be into sports cars

Until the day the comes when he crashes Splinter's personal favourite Porsche (don't ask me how he got it or drives it) and has to confess like a college student to his father.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Old 04-25-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Which drinks would accurately represent the Turtles at their best?
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Do you mean alcoholic drinks?

I never saw the turtles as drinking alcohol (forgive me Mirage fans ) but I always assumed that they would down a fair amount of soda with their pizza.

6 replies in and this is already the best thread on the drome by far

Old 04-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #8
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
Do you mean alcoholic drinks?

I never saw the turtles as drinking alcohol (forgive me Mirage fans ) but I always assumed that they would down a fair amount of soda with their pizza.

6 replies in and this is already the best thread on the drome by far
I mean, if there was/were a drink that represented Michelangelo (for example), what drink would that be?

Would it be a root-beer float, a peach tea, or something else entirely?
Old 04-25-2018, 11:25 AM   #9
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I assume by "at their best" this should not be about alcohol.

Leo, tea definitely. Maybe not an interesting answer since it's kind of a given, but he could certainly have a wide variety that he enjoys, both caffeinated and de-. (I'm sure the choice would vary depending on what he's up to. Bed time or before/after a workout in the dojo would surely be different choices.)

Donnie, maybe plain old water a lot of the time as he probably knows water is to the body as oil is to his machines. Except when it's coffee when pulling late nighter, or in the morning after said night.

Mikey... the soda and energy drink kid. Maybe BooKoo energy drink if you want a name brand.

Raph... it might vary by situation? Water when working out, a shot of 5-Hour Energy pre-battle?

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-25-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:16 PM   #10
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Does Shredder have a conscience? In the 2003 series, Karai characterizes Saki in a fatherly light when she talks about how he took her under his wing. However, from what I recall, it becomes more apparent that he was mostly using her in order to carry out his plans.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM   #11
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
There's a one-shot called something like You Had To Be There where we see Mike just...plastered, and wandering home from god knows where. He accidentally falls into a rift in time/space, and ends up nearly sacrificed to some random god by a woman in a chain mail bikini.

And then no one believes him.

So from that alone I'd imagine Mike wouldn't drink.
Raph's a beer guy. And not good beer. The glorified water kind that Casey drinks because it's cheap. Maybe some Jack Daniels.

I'd imagine Don's drink of choice has more caffeine than any beverage ought to.

If Leo drinks, he drinks the good stuff.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #12
neatoman
Emperor

I had another idea that ties into something I've said before. I jokingly said that, like her Mirage counterpart, Fred Wolf April was a magic drawing (along with Channel 6 itself).

Now, you know how how the plot usually tied into whatever the hell Channel 6 reported on? Now, if April and Channel 6 are creations of Kirby's magic crystal, why not their news stories? Imagine if, after their creation, the crystal ended up in some science fiction author's typewriter. As they are created from the same source, one is drawn to the other, which is why Channel 6 was always there. Sure would explain why there's monsters and doomsday devices everywhere. It would also explain why everything is so repetative and cliché, as the writer has very little imagination and only writes for a paycheck.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM   #13
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Shredder View Post
Does Shredder have a conscience? In the 2003 series, Karai characterizes Saki in a fatherly light when she talks about how he took her under his wing. However, from what I recall, it becomes more apparent that he was mostly using her in order to carry out his plans.
One could argue that "Hun on the Run" kind of does show his feelings about Karai and how important she was to him. But, I think that if his love for her was a couple notches higher, he would have saved Karai himself.

It's not so much of Shredder having a conscience, especially in that version, but just not having a fully understood backstory and a "middle school-aged edge lord making their first OC"'s idea of psychopathy.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #14
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Rise!Leonardo is going to become someone's husbando really soon.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #15
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

*feigns cattiness* And undoubtedly some young bimbo who'd only like him now because they changed him and couldn't have given a ninja rat's ass before.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 04-25-2018 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:05 PM   #16
Prowler
Emperor

I think I've said this before and call me crazy but... I've always felt TMNT and Sailor Moon shared a few core similarities. Of course there's lots of differences between both, but I see some similarities:

- The main characters start off as teenagers. The girls in Sailor Moon are about 14-15 when the whole thing begins;

- Both properties start off as comic books, but they only become mainstream when their first animation series' come out;

- The first animated series of both properties still remain their most popular incarnations/peak of the properties popularity;

- The main characters differ a bit in personality in the first animated series compared to their source material. In the case of TMNT, Raphael is radically different in the FW series from Mirage Raph. In the case of Sailor Moon, Rei Hino/Sailor Mars is also pretty different in the 90s anime series from her manga version. In the manga she is serious, calm and collected and doesn't let any man get close to her, really. In the anime she is more hyper, temperamental and boy crazy. And also bickers with Usagi/Sailor Moon while in the manga they're fine with each other and Rei bickers with Minako/Venus instead... reminds me of Raph and Mike somewhat.

- Comparison between characters:

Donatello - Ami Mizuno/Sailor Mercury - Both are tech savy and nerds
Michelangelo - Minako Aino/Sailor Venus - Both are good fighters but also immature and love video games and are kinda airheaded/scatterbrained
Raphael - First anime version of Sailor Mars/Rei Hino - Both are kinda temperamental and. Rei is also a bit antisocial and distant in the manga just like Raph is in many versions.
Leonardo - Eh... tough one here. The leader of the group is Usagi/Moon and she certainly isn't similar to Leonardo. Minako/Venus technically qualifies as a leader as well and she's quite different from him as well. I guess Rei/Mars would be close considering she's the most stereotypically Japanese of the girls.

Ofc both properties are quite different overall and there's no such thing as perfect comparisons. I'm not saying they're carbon copies of each other by any means, but there's some similarities, imo.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Rise!Leonardo is going to become someone's husbando really soon.
I've already seen art suggesting he is, unfortunately. Searching the TMNT tag on virtually any site is a game of Russian Roulette, to be sure.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:43 AM   #18
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I've had some thinking that Ch'rell's release from stasis has another possibility of disaster.

If he adores Krang as much as Ma'riell says he does, then he probably has a "sibling version" of that devotion toward her. So, there's quite the situation in how he'd deal with her deliberately keeping him in stasis, even if it's to prevent him from being charged with war crimes. And probably just not wanting to deal with the fallout of telling him the "bad news."
Old 04-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #19
pferreira
Foot Elite

I never understood why Fred Wolf didn't push for 200 episodes and just did 193. Very odd number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Now, you know how how the plot usually tied into whatever the hell Channel 6 reported on? Now, if April and Channel 6 are creations of Kirby's magic crystal, why not their news stories? Imagine if, after their creation, the crystal ended up in some science fiction author's typewriter. As they are created from the same source, one is drawn to the other, which is why Channel 6 was always there. Sure would explain why there's monsters and doomsday devices everywhere. It would also explain why everything is so repetative and cliché, as the writer has very little imagination and only writes for a paycheck.
And this is why you don't write for TV...
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #20
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post

And this is why you don't write for TV...
Who says I'm not? Wanna see my creative writing degree?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote