The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 03-08-2014, 05:03 AM   #1
d3m01iti0n
Random Punk

Rick and Morty

Anybody watch this new show? Its hilarious. Its been on hiatus for a month but new episodes soon.
d3m01iti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Anybody up on season 4? I didn't care for the dragon/talking cat one but pound for pound pretty good! And they finally did time travel.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
neatoman
Emperor

Yes, Rick and Morty is pretty great.

As for season 4:
Death Crystal episode was pretty funny, I liked how Morty ended up so obsessed that he didn't question wheter or the future was even worth the price, no matter how out of hand it got.
Rick getting mad that someone used his toilet was pretty great, the parts with Jerry and Morty were a bit lame but Summer's hook-ups was a good subplot.
Honestly kind of hate the Heist episode, it's all just the same joke about the heist movie formula over and over again, at least Vindicators derived its jokes from how the superhero genre tends to contrive conflict/drama in stupid ways (even if the punchlines were just pointless murders).
I know the Slutty Dragons episode gets a lot of hate but it's still pretty funny to me ("WE LIKE DOWN HERE CAUSE WE CAN **** WOOLLY MAMMOTHS!")
Time Travel Snakes, kinda has the same problem as Heist and Vindicators in that it's just an excuse to diss a genre, but at least the jokes hit much better and primarily being a Terminator parody helps the focus.

And I kinda want to deal with the show's attitude towards time travel on it's own. Dan Harmon has said he likes to avoid time travel because it's inherently confusing and the snake episode is clearly meant to illustrate that, but the thing is that it's really not as inherent as he thinks. The Terminator series as a whole is indeed confusing because the rules of what they can do cahnge from movie to movie, but the original isn't confusing at all, it's a straight timeloop. That's the problem with most bad time travel stories, inconsistant or ambigious rules. Rick and Morty can be excused because it's intentional for the sake of a joke but the criticism that it's inherent isn't a valid one. If you want to make a decent time travel story, just make it clear by creating a guide answering questions like:
  • Can the past be changed?
  • Is there only one timeline or many?
  • How does the time travel impact the traveller?
Just add as many questions as you can think of and you should be fine.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:09 PM   #4
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hype for this show seems to have completely died, I didn't even know there was a new season until it showed up on Netflix, no one is talking about it after the fad that came during season 3. Overall I think these 5 episodes were similar to season 3 where they're ok, but they lack the charm of the first two seasons.

They try a bit too hard with the "look how random we are", and it's no longer as amusing, in the past they played with certain themes which I feel isn't done as much. Still had fun watching them but this isn't the show I fell in love with those first two seasons.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:13 PM   #5
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Hype for this show seems to have completely died, I didn't even know there was a new season until it showed up on Netflix, no one is talking about it after the fad that came during season 3. Overall I think these 5 episodes were similar to season 3 where they're ok, but they lack the charm of the first two seasons.

They try a bit too hard with the "look how random we are", and it's no longer as amusing, in the past they played with certain themes which I feel isn't done as much. Still had fun watching them but this isn't the show I fell in love with those first two seasons.

I knew this show had a crazy following but I've never seen it.
I did not know that it was on Netflix.

Maybe I'll check it out. I know that the Rick and Morty comic book has decent aftermarket legs, which is crazy.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:54 AM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The latest episode of season 5 (episode 4)... was it just me? The first 4 episodes of this season were fantastic but this was... mostly just gross and unfunny? This had to be a different writer or writing team.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:35 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The latest episode of season 5 (episode 4)... was it just me? The first 4 episodes of this season were fantastic but this was... mostly just gross and unfunny? This had to be a different writer or writing team.
Dircted by Erica Hayes and written by Nick Rutherford.

Hayes directed the season 4 premiere, the story train episode and the season 4 finale. So I don't think it's her, those are actaully pretty good episodes.

Rutherford has no previous involvement with this show. He's primarily a writer for Dream Corp LLC, something I have never watched myself but you can probably go watch that show to see if it gives you similar vibes.

As for me, it's certainly one of the less clever episodes of the series thus far. It can effectively be summed up as "Semen is gross, incest is gross, sex with horses is gross, Las Vegas is gross and also cannibalism". Maybe the revelation that the cool action hero is a total loser would have been funny but they put way too much emphasis on how cool he seems and his failure to live up to his image is dragged out way too long.

Oh and about the leak:
Spoiler:
Yes, there is a semi-direct sequel to this episode. The incest baby returns and Summer names him Naruto.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-15-2021, 04:00 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Apparently even TPTB agree it sucked.

https://decider.com/2021/07/13/rick-...and-tasteless/

It honestly felt like someone writing Rick & Morty that had never actually watched any Rick & Morty. Like maybe they read a description somewhere. None of the characters sound like themselves.

And "let's Nancy Reagan this bi**h!" Who has ever talked like this on the show? And I'm 40 and I don't get it. Is it some reference to Nancy taking care of Reagan when he was dying of alzheimers or something?
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 PM   #9
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Im watching season 5 on HBO Max, it's weird actually hearing the characters cuss, I think I prefer it when it's bleeped. This season is the best since season 2. 3 and 4 were awful, especially 4 the show felt like a parody of itself.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 09:24 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Some of the censorship bleeps are weird in Rick and Morty. Sh*t is frequently unbleeped but "Eat butt" was bleeped.
Hahahaha!
Old 07-31-2021, 10:44 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

This last week's episode with the Thanksgiving/turkey business... on paper the plot seems like a great Rick & Morty adventure... but in execution everyone is talking again like they did in the incest baby/horse people episode. Must be the same guest writers again. It wasn't a BAD episode but I didn't find myself chuckling once.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:33 PM   #12
ZariusTwo
Overlord

So this latest episode reveals that

Spoiler:
Every Beth we've seen has never been the original, who's been dead since the show started
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:36 PM   #13
Coola Yagami
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post

Spoiler:
Every Beth we've seen has never been the original, who's been dead since the show started
what in the flying ****???????????????

So like.... why keep humoring her? Or the family?

Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 03:40 PM   #14
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post

Spoiler:
Yeah that bit was crazy and they really just threw it out there all casual-likeā€¦
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 04:25 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coola Yagami View Post
what in the flying ****???????????????

So like.... why keep humoring her? Or the family?
Rick is very depressed and tries to find some kind of meaningful bond. Technically it is correct that she really isn't more special to him than any other version, but it is also clear that he tries to make work and he can't do that if he just leaves or even just neglects to keep her happy. There is a reason he called the dimension hopping an "emergency solution" back in season 1 (aside from the obvious hint that it would be boring for the audience), how does he know if anything he tried worked if he just got out of dodge all the time? It's really not that hard for me to wrap my head around.

What's a little harder for me to swallow is that he treats this version of Birdperson as the same one he fought alongside when he clearly can't be the same one, even if this Birdperson had a similar history with Rick it can't be exactly the same because of the differences. But we are still meant to think it's interchangeable?
Hahahaha!
Old 08-09-2021, 05:01 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mostly I was surprised/disappointed that this episode pretty clearly throws out the theory that Rick might be Morty as an old man.
Old 09-08-2021, 02:17 PM   #17
neatoman
Emperor

So I'm guessing Morty is one of the clones inserted into the family by the Citadel, rather than from a reality where he came about naturally?
Hahahaha!
Old 09-11-2022, 05:05 PM   #18
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, anyone care to explain how Rick's "fake" backstory and his real backstory can be almost identical aside from when he went after the other Rick? Rick was able to escape his own brain at the start of season 3 because the backstory there was stated to not be a memory and was actually totally fabricated. Yet according to the season 5 finale, it looked pretty much the same aside from Rick waiting to start his search. I thought, because it was muted, it was going to turn out that there were a lot of detail differences while only the broad strokes were accurate, as to allow for it to be at least largely fabricated. But the season 6 premiere pretty much confirms there aren't any significant differences, so what the hell?
Hahahaha!
Old 09-11-2022, 05:52 PM   #19
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
Alright, anyone care to explain how Rick's "fake" backstory and his real backstory can be almost identical aside from when he went after the other Rick? Rick was able to escape his own brain at the start of season 3 because the backstory there was stated to not be a memory and was actually totally fabricated. Yet according to the season 5 finale, it looked pretty much the same aside from Rick waiting to start his search. I thought, because it was muted, it was going to turn out that there were a lot of detail differences while only the broad strokes were accurate, as to allow for it to be at least largely fabricated. But the season 6 premiere pretty much confirms there aren't any significant differences, so what the hell?

In reality I think there is an in-universe explanation but I'm just too tired to think of one right now.

Or maybe I'm wrong and you just spotted a major continuity error. I myself have been wondering what's the deal with Rick's passion for his Pirates of the Pancreas ride in the Anatomy Park episode when he is allegedly deathly afraid of pirates as seen in the episode where he beefs with the President.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:07 PM   #20
Bahamut810
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I dont know for sure, but it was probably a way to get people talking about the history and will be explained (if it ever is) that that moment was so ingrained into his memory it was easy to recreate over the Shoney's and just change the one detail he needed changed.

That is essentially what happened though, he was able to control the environment around Shoney's, so he changed it to what they wanted to see which was that moment.
Bahamut810 is offline   Reply With Quote