The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #21
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I heard that most furries don't like that they don't have Cat muzzles.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #22
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
But the Cats will look more realistic in the actual movie. and not looking like people dressed in face paint.

You totally missed the point. Cats is far from a realistic depiction of animals as they actually are. The entirety of the play consists of introducing and showing the backgrounds and personalities of the characters through their individual themes, loosely tied together by the premise of the "Jellicle Ball", a gathering of all the "Jellicles" to decide who gets to be reborn to a new life. It does not NEED to be realistic. It is literally a dance and lyric performance with a VERY loose "story", based entirely on a series of poems! No cgi or reimagining needed. It works as a stage performance, but as a full movie adaptation? Umm, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
They don't realize that the Cats are supposed to look that way. Have you seen how they looked in the original Play? The performers wear cat suits and have makeup on to look like Cats. What this movie is trying to do. Is make these Cats look more realistic. By applying what they are calling Digital Fur Technology.

And that was fine. They do not need to look more realistic, as realism has no place within the play to begin with. They are all characters with very clear personas, portrayed through their dances and lyric themes. Like Bustopher, the "cat about town", a friendly wanderer of the upper class eateries who greets folk and takes handouts as a food connosuir. Or Macavity, the rough, tough alley-cat who steals, bullys, and vandalizes everywhere he goes, or Jennyanydots, the fat happy housecat with a secret side of teaching the mice and roaches productive activities, or Skimbleshanks, the railway mascot and patrolcat. And so on. These characters are not realistic animal depictions by any means- they are more like particular feline "purrsonas" portrayed via musical themes and dance. Rum-Tum-Tugger is, for instance, the typical cat always wanting to be in the middle of everything, always on the wrong side of the door, center of attention, etc, while Mungojerry and Rumpleteaser are the ultimate mischievous pranksters and hellions, causing trouble when no one is looking. And then there is Mr Mistophales....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
I watched the 1998 direct-to-video film recording of the musical in middle school after reading the poems by T.S. Eliot. The characters and sets look completely different from that one.
Exactly. It's a very minimalist production, as it should be, since elaborate and realistic sets are not needed. The entire over-story takes place in a junkyard alleyway, with some of the characters' backstories taking place in quiet homes, a restaurant streetfront, a park, a waterfront dock, and a railway station, among others. But the sets for each are made from random objects found lying around the junkyard, with discarded wheels, boxes, tin cans, pieces of wood and sheets, etc, all used as set props to show different locations. (The "train" in Skimbleshanks' song was made entirely from junk!)

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 04:45 PM   #23
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

For anyone not familiar with the Cats Musical the movie is based on. This article from Polygon explains the Musical in great details.https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/18/20...iler-explained

Here's the official poster.

Last edited by TigerClaw; 07-19-2019 at 06:04 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:35 PM   #24
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Taylor Swift and Andrew Lloyd Webber have written a new song for the film titled "Beautiful Ghosts". I believe that Swift is very determined to follow in Lady Gaga's footsteps after she wrote "Shallow" for A Star is Born. I know it's early to predict this, but if Swift wins an Oscar for the song, she will be one trophy away from EGOT status. All that would be missing is the Tony.

ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:48 PM   #25
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

This is legitimately the weirdest movie I've ever seen produced in my lifetime. I don't even think DRUGS explain this.

Alien possession, maybe?
Old 10-24-2019, 07:13 PM   #26
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

You'd have to ask T S Elliot. But he's dead, so..... (Seriously, though, the play is fantastic. I fully recommend seeing it at least once, as it has some wonderful, catchy songs, great characters, and the choreography is simply astounding.)

Old 01-08-2020, 11:09 PM   #27
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Ok, I went to see this today, partly from morbid curiosity about all the poor reviews, and partly because- Cats! Turns out, I loved it! The cgi was not nearly as cringy as people have made it out to be, though it took a little getting used to. The songs were mostly well-done, including my two favorites, Mr Mistoffelees and Skimbleshanks. Memory was, of course, wonderful, and even the new song brought me to tears! After seeing this, I really don't get all the hate it has gotten. I loved how Victoria had her role expanded (she's the only white cat in the play, and though her coloring was changed up a little, she is still easily recognizable as the "pretty, shy" one) and Mistoffelees was great! Idris Elba NAILED the role of Macavity, and likewise Ian MacKellan was amazing as Gus. Judy really did justice to Deuteronomy as well, which was a relief. The only things that kind of irked me were Rum-Tum-Tugger having a reduced part, no Demeter, and Rum-Tum-Tugger's and Mungojerry and Rumpleteaser's songs seemed a bit TOO changed. Everything else was fine- though I found Jennyanydots dance with the mice and cockroaches a little weirder than it needed to be. Overall, I really loved it!

Old 01-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #28
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
This is legitimately the weirdest movie I've ever seen produced in my lifetime. I don't even think DRUGS explain this.
Dunno if you are a Washington Post fan, but a few viewers went the route of drug inebriation. Some of the accounts that were told, were just ..yeah.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...92f_story.html
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote