The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 08:14 PM   #121
sdp
-

How does it look terrible? We barely saw anything and of what we saw I have to say I liked it a lot.

sdp fact of the day: he had 2 Aladdin themed birthday parties
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:15 PM   #122
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Also you see Iago in this Teaser. I wonder who is voicing him. and I hope Rajah is in this remake also.
It's already been confirmed that Rajah will appear in the movie along with Abu.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/172...iger-after-all

https://thedisinsider.com/2017/11/30...laddin-remake/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:18 PM   #123
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
It's already been confirmed that Rajah will appear in the movie along with Abu.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/172...iger-after-all

https://thedisinsider.com/2017/11/30...laddin-remake/
That's good to know.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #124
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Original Aladdin Writer Isn’t Too Happy About Disney’s Live-Action Remake
https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...ction-remakes/
Old 10-12-2018, 11:49 PM   #125
Wildcat
Foot Elite

He’s gonna squabble over a rhyme they wrote for a franchise Disney owns? I mean I get it’s technically their writing but come on.

Anyway looks cool. This was my favorite Disney Animated movie growing up so it’s the live action remake I’m really looking forward to the most.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:58 PM   #126
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, if you're going to be making a profit off of someone else's work, it's only fair to throw 'em a nickel. Disney certainly has the nickels to throw.

I've never liked how these kinds of things are structured, contractually. It's always so biased in favor of the studios vs. people who actually create things. Yes, you're an employee, but you're also a content creator; if the company is going to be making money off of your work forever, I've always felt it's only fair that an arrangement be reached where the creator is entitled to further compensation in the future as well.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #127
Wildcat
Foot Elite

The thing is they must have made way more money over the years from home video releases and royalties. Plus making other Disney movies.

To get mad because they used a rhyme seems like scraping the bottom of the barrel...just because. Asking for t-shirts or park passes? It really means that much that’d you’d settle for a “cookie”?

People like saying how Disney is full of money and can afford anything (which is true) but their writers/directors/actors are quite rich too.

If they ripped half the script or something I could understand but how does anyone expect a remake to not include reused dialogue or phrases?
Old 10-13-2018, 01:12 AM   #128
Leo656
The Franchise

You assume they did, but you don't know they did.

It's a matter of respect as well as compensation.

To wit: Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster were paid $130 for the rights to Superman under a "work for hire" contract with National Periodicals. That's what their service was valued as being "worth" in 1940-ish. When National/DC continued to publish the Superman character, as well as translate the work from print into other media such as radio, TV, film, and toys, they continued to see profit from Siegel and Shuster's work, making millions upon millions of dollars while Jerry and Joe went broke, living as paupers into old age.

Over the next few decades, MANY people, both fans and people in the industry, said to DC, "This is kinda screwed up. Those guys gave you a product that you're making a fortune off of. You really should throw them another bone." DC, for 30-odd years, said "Nope. We already paid them. That was the deal, fair's fair." Their names were even taken off of the work, out of spite. Eventually, they caved, but only in the late 1970s in the lead-up to the Superman film, where many respected comic book talents and even Hollywood folks threw their two cents in, loudly and publicly, about what a sh*tty deal DC had given the guys who created Superman. Due to not wanting to open their blockbuster film amidst a wave of negative public opinion, DC caved and paid Jerry and Joe a tidy sum in lieu of a pension. But before that, the "official" line was, "DC Comics created Superman. F*ck those two guys, they were just two guys under contract." Which is *technically* sort of true, but not really; DC only published the physical work that someone else created. Without that work, there's no billion-dollar franchise. "Fair's fair."

If anyone says, "They should have been happy with the $130," they're an asshole.

Point is, if you're a billion dollar corporation, and you're going to continually profit off of someone else's work, and your initial agreement with them only entitled them to a pittance, the least you can do is keep throwing them a bone if you're going to keep Xeroxing their stuff and giving yourself credit. That's literally called theft and plagiarism.

The guy shouldn't have to ask for things like a T-shirt, he's just making a point that it's more about principle than money. He shouldn't have to ask, they should be kind enough to offer. Especially if it's anything like the Beauty & The Beast situation, where they literally just came up with two more minutes of material and called it a new movie.

Again, writers often get screwed over in these kinds of things, as "that's the biz", but it's not entirely fair. And it's not only unfair to assume that they've already been fairly compensated, it's often blatantly untrue. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. If the guy sees fit to speak on it publicly, then I'm inclined to think not in this case. And it doesn't sound like he's asking for much; just an acknowledgement that "Yes, we're copy/pasting your work, thanks for that and here's a quarter." Doesn't sound at all unreasonable to me.

Then again, this is the same company that promised Robin Williams they definitely wouldn't use him to advertise the original Aladdin, then went ahead and did anyway. So I guess they just kinda make up their own rules as they go and just hash it out in court later.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:21 AM   #129
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I think it’s a little different than the Superman thing. The franchise belongs to Disney first (and yes I’m aware it’s funny considering Aladdin and such is public domain and based on others work).

My point is he didn’t sell off his own property, rights and all, without recognition. Having continued to work for Disney since, I can only assume he was fairly paid for Aladdin.
Old 10-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #130
Leo656
The Franchise

It is different, but still in the same ballpark, as it involves a corporate entity making a profit in perpetuity for someone else's individual contributions, which at the time were likely not given compensation anywhere near what may have later been deemed appropriate given the success of the work and the fortunes that everyone made off of it, except the person(s) who had a large hand in shaping it into what it is.

It could be argued in either case that the company wouldn't have had as much success with the product if not for the specific craftsmanship of the individual creator(s). It's a debatable point, but the inarguable end result is that the corporation made billions more dollars than the creator(s) did.

I say, if the guy wants a park pass and a credit, then just give it to him. It's obvious that he doesn't want a blood feud, just a little recognition. "Thanks for getting us here."

FYI, I will never, ever side with the company over the creator in anything like this, just so you know. They literally get rich by stealing others' work, so the least they can do along the way is continue to recognize and compensate the individuals who actually put in the work while all the executives did was push paper around.

Old 10-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #131
Wildcat
Foot Elite

I’m all for giving credit where credit is due. If they’re credited in the movie that’s perfectly fine. It just seemed like he was making a big issue for something that was already taken care of with the first movie.

Like where does it end? I mean could any of the artists claim compensation for any similarities between costumes or set designs no matter how small?
Old 10-13-2018, 03:04 AM   #132
Leo656
The Franchise

I don't think he was making a BIG issue, necessarily; tone can be tough to interpret from text.

And I do hear you, and I think those are conversations worth having, as far as what is owed retroactively, if anything, when you borrow from a previous work while doing an "updated" version. Is it "your" costume design if it's literally copy/pasted from something else, and all you did was add another feather to it? And so on.

Times change, and I think compensation models need to change and evolve with them. It should be an ongoing conversation. As is, writers are often the lowest on the creative "totem pole" in visual mediums like film and TV, despite nothing being possible without them, so it's hard for me to ever find them petty or root against them given how consistently they're always getting screwed in comparison to those above them on the ladder.

The flip side being, of course, none of them are going broke, and there's plenty of writers who've made it rich in Hollywood without a single one of their scripts ever being filmed. So it's not that I feel *too* badly; but anyone who simply says "I want to be acknowledged for my work" is well within their rights to do so.

I will be surprised if he doesn't get some kind of on-screen credit and a bit of coin as a token gesture. They still should have at least told him beforehand that they'd be borrowing heavily from his material; that's what it seems like he's annoyed by. I would be, too.

Just ask Andrew how fast I jump his sh*t when I even *think* he's stealing one of my jokes. 88mph, no brakes.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #133
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya you’re right tone can be taken out of context just reading text but he’s upset that the original writers are not compensated for the remakes.

It says animated movies are not subjected to the same rules of the Writers Guild. I guess he feels they should be paid again as if it was a totally new movie.

Personally I would not expect to get paid twice the same (or more) just because it happened to be used twice. I know it’s my work but I already wrote it. Unless I’m inputting something new.

The script was always made to be owned by Disney or whatever studio you’re supplying it to.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:08 AM   #134
Leo656
The Franchise

A case can be made either way, but if it's essentially re-used work, but the company itself stands to make another fortune off of it, then it's only fair to toss out a few more sheckels.

Another different-yet-similar case: Originally, the WWF (now WWE) did not compensate talent for videotapes, be they in-ring performers, announcers, what have you. You got paid to work the initial event, and that was that. HOWEVER, once the profits made by the WWF from those videotapes reached an amount that even Scrooge McDuck couldn't fit into his vault, the conversation changed. Hulk Hogan, in the first place, set the bar by demanding somewhere around 1984, when the company announced that they were doing a Best Of collection of his matches, that he be paid additionally for all sales of said video tape. The WWF argued that he had already been paid for working those matches; Hogan argued that if they were going to make another few million off of his work, then he in turn wanted a share of every video sold, as he was already getting with T-shirts and such. Hogan's leverage was a lucrative deal in Japan that would have paid him more than the WWF ever would have, anyway, so ultimately, the WWF caved. Hogan got his royalties, as did everyone who came after. The rule was no longer, "You've already been paid for the work the first time"; the New Rule was, "If we're going to keep getting rich off of your previous work, we're going to have to keep paying you for it."

This did not stop the WWF from lying whenever possible to avoid paying those royalties, however; in 1990, Jesse Ventura famously won a lawsuit against the company over video tape royalties. He had specifically asked someone in management, years earlier, if the talent were paid extra for video tapes and was told "No", which was a lie. Another talent finked them out to Jesse, and he took them to court and won. He was paid everything he was owed and not a cent more, but the WWF was so bitter about it that to this day, they scrub him from old footage whenever they can, just to avoid paying him. When they replay old WCW matches, there's long stretches of awkward silence where Jim Ross sounds like he's talking to no one, because they'd rather pay some tech for hundreds of hours of work erasing Jesse's voice, rather than just pay Jesse a few bucks once in a while. He didn't even beat them for millions, it was a little over $800,000. Talk about petty!

When streaming became a thing and the WWE Network started up, the conversation changed again. These weren't individual tapes that could be tracked through sales, making it easy to determine what each performer on a tape was due; the new model is much more complicated. Plus, a big chunk of the wrestlers' pay always came from the monthly pay-per-view bonuses; once those $40-50 monthly events became "free" to anyone who subscribed to The Network, those bonus checks went away, leaving the performers confused and upset. Again, the company tried to revert to the "Well, you were already paid for working the event..." argument, but nobody was falling for it. I'm not sure what kind of agreement was eventually reached, but it's one of several reasons CM Punk left; he felt like he was being ripped off and wasn't satisfied with their explanations.

Again, much different field of entertainment, BUT, it's still a company trying to argue from the position of, "We paid you already," and the worker replying, "Yeah, but you're still getting rich off of what I did for you, and I'm not, so how about we talk about that?"

In this film's specific case, it's about how much of a previous script is being re-purposed, and what kind of recognition/compensation, if any, is due, be it financial or otherwise. I feel like, if it was a school assignment, they'd have to cite the previous author or get an F for plagiarizing. So it's only fair that since they're easily going to do billion-dollar business with this film - which ONLY can happen because of how much everyone liked the original film - they should acknowledge the people who made it possible, and in my mind additional financial compensation would indeed be part of that.

Like I said, it should be something that we keep addressing as entertainment, and our manner of pursuing it, continues to evolve and change. "Work for hire" and "We already paid you" doesn't really seem fair in the big picture with things like this.

Last edited by Leo656; 10-13-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:11 AM   #135
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Disney are such cowards for not letting Aladdin putting out his damn titties.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 AM   #136
Wildcat
Foot Elite

@ Leo656, I have no problem for writers or anybody getting royalties/re-credited. It’s obviously based on the existing script. How much is a different thing. I don’t know to what extent he thinks they should get paid again.

I’m probably coming off as some soulless executive to you who does not care about the “the little guy”. To me there is no “little guy” in this. However Disney will always be the “villain” in this situation because they’re the corporation.

It just annoys when people who are equally well off complain about something that doesn’t matter very much. Like you said they’ll probably do some kind of compensation but he chimed in too soon over a teaser.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #137
Leo656
The Franchise

Oooohhhhhh, I don't think they're anywhere near close to being "equally well off." One party is Disney, the other party is "Whatsisname." Pretty sure there's a fairly wide gap between them.

Other than that, this has gone well. This was a good conversation.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:27 AM   #138
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ha, you’re right compared to Disney they’re not a gigantic empire. I just meant it seemed pointless to complain when both parties have gotten what they needed out of it.

Ya it has been a good discussion.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #139
sdp
-

These text walls of jericho ruin every other thread.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #140
Leo656
The Franchise

It's entirely not my fault you're functionally illiterate. Take it up with your f*king parents.

Tags
#notmyaladdin, 3 sjw wishes, a whole new cuck, ain'tneverhadacucklikeme, cuck smith