The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 AM   #1
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Ren and Stimpy Reboot Coming To Comedy Central

Quote:
As part of a major push into adult animation, Comedy Central has given a series green light to a reimagening of the cult Emmy-nominated The Ren & Stimpy Show.

Comedy Central has been tapping into IP across ViacomCBS to build an original animated slate around stalwart South Park. The Ren & Stimpy Show will join the recently announced Beavis and Butt-Head reboot from Mike Judge and Daria spin-off Jodie on Comedy Central.

?I want to thank our partners at Nick Animation as we re-imagine these iconic characters with a new creative team,? said Nina L. Diaz, President of Content and Chief Creative Officer for ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Group.?

Nickelodeon launched the original Ren & Stimpy alongside Rugrats and Doug in 1991, where it quickly catapulted into the pop culture zeitgeist with its dark humor, vivid imagination and critical acclaim. Often thought of as an adult series at the time, the iconic dog and cat duo are consistently ranked among the top animated characters of all time.

The series, created by John Kricfalusi, followed the adventures of title characters Ren, an emotionally unstable Chihuahua, and Stimpy, a good-natured yet dimwitted cat. It aired for five seasons on Nickelodeon, ending in December 1995. The following year, the series had a run on MTV.

Happy Happy Joy Joy, a documentary on The Ren & Stimpy Show, co-directed by Ron Cicero and Kimo Easterwood, premiered at the 2020 Sundance Film Festival.

?We are excited to reinvent this iconic franchise with a new creative team and our partners at the Nickelodeon Animation Studio,? said Chris McCarthy, President of ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Group. ?Ren & Stimpy joins our rapidly expanding roster of adult animation including South Park, Beavis and Butt-Head and Clone High as we continue to reimagine our treasure chest of beloved IP for new generations.?
https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-ren...ng-1203004284/
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
drgon78
Mad Scientist

The 90's are making a come back...if you want it to or not.
drgon78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

Okay, I would def sit down and watch a one hour block of revived Beavis and Butthead + Ren & Stimpy, just to see what's up.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
Leo656
The Franchise

Is it gonna smash people over the head with how openly homosexual they are, like the last revival?

I didn't even hate "Adult Party Cartoon" as much as some people did. But it says a lot that the only thing anyone ever remembers from it is how it beat us to death with something we already knew.

But yeah, Jesus, if we're bringing things back from the dead can we get some new f*cking Aqua Teens, PLEASE?!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #5
Skinrash
Thug

John Kricfalusi must be going mad over other people tampering with his show again. And after all the sick sex offenses he's done, he deserves it.
Skinrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:17 AM   #6
Leo656
The Franchise

Oh, sh*t, I forgot about that.

I was gonna say, "I wonder if he's involved in this", but... guess not, huh? Woof.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:24 AM   #7
neatoman
Emperor

Anybody else aware of a bunch of animation industry people freaking out over this?
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Why would they be freaking out over this? I'm hyped as hell for it.

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The stuff I?ve seen is they?d prefer new voices get a shot to create something new instead of rebooting a property that the creator was able to use to prey on underage girls.

Personally I think they caught lightning in a bottle with the first two seasons and won?t be able to replicate that magic.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

People ignore all the new animation that has been coming out on Netflix and other services. It's a new golden age of new properties not seen in a decade and people only react to everything being remakes when there's plenty of new stuff out there, new characters, new everything. Yes tons and full of identity politics they complain about and yes most of them suck or are mediocre, I can only really recommend The Hollow but Nickelodeon has Glitch Techs which is so creative. But the people complaining don't watch cartoons, they only know what they grew up with, read the news and complain.

Ren and Stimpy with the creator under control seemed to work the best from what I've seen. When the creator got kicked out, the show was lame, when the creator came back without any restricitons the show was lame. I'm not sure if it can work but maybe it's time for me to revisit the show and see if it's any good or bad.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:12 AM   #11
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I'm assuming since Paramount owns Nickelodeon, they can use their IPs to put on other channels they also own like Comedy Central.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote