The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 03-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #401
Zage
Foot Soldier

Will wee actually see Tokka & Rahzar? Or Ace Duck?

Dreadmon
Ninjara
Jagwar
Roadkill Rodney
Lt. Granitor
generic Stone Warrior/ Rock Soldier {preferably a 2-pack, one orangy brown, the other bluish grey}
Kid Terra
Bookwurm /w/ Innardo
Tora
Shogun

Do you ever wonder, if Baxter, as the fly, ever had the urge to eat poop?
Zage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:13 PM   #402
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Possibly, though there are no plans at this time.

Though, keep in mind i'd have to say that regardless of what our plans are, as that would be a spoiler.
Bobby Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #403
Powder
Endless Screw

Are there plans for a Triceraton appearance in 2016? I think you said Krang won't be around until next year, but they don't necessarily have to tie-in with him.

Also, do you find it daunting being asked so many questions about character intricacies & stuff? Fans really wanna go in-depth about motivations, personalities, etc, probably more so than you guys do in the planning stages. As you said, a lot of it you make up as you go along, so I could see that being a bit stressful.

& another! Gee, I'm greedy. What's your average work day like, how do things go over at the IDW offices? Any chance you'd wanna walk us through a day in the life of Bobby Curnow?
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:53 PM   #404
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

We may or may not get some Triceraton hints this year, but there are big plans for them in the future.

No, I'm very happy to talk about everything we've done in the past. (Future too, it's just a lot of that is spoilers.) We usually think pretty hard and in advance about characterization and plot points. It's just the sci-fi stuff we tend to make up as we go, though Tom does do research in that regard. But this is all fun for me, not stressful.

Hmm, this will probably be a little boring, but you asked for it! Every day is a little different, but the broad strokes are: we have a production meeting every morning where we go over the state of the various books due to go to print that week and next. Then I check over my emails and respond to anything urgent or pressing. Then I go over things that are the most urgent in terms of deadline. That might be proof reading a final version of a book that's about to go to print, or bugging artists about deadlines that are fast approaching. Generally making sure everything is on track for the short term and there are no fires to put out.

Then I'll go back to email and respond to things that are less pressing but need to be moved forward in the short term, like getting an artist reference, or discussing layouts, giving notes on a pitch, or answering a scheduling question. Discussing upcoming plans with a licensor maybe.

It's usually lunch by this time, and I'll come back and do something that isn't directly looking at the computer, like reading/proofing a script or make a balloon guide for the production department. With the immediate priorities out of the way, I usually do some long term planning here-- maybe I'll make a year schedule for an upcoming new series. Something along those lines. Check email again. Goof off for a couple minutes with my fellow employees or check this forum. Towards the end of the day, if things are looking good I'll try and do some talent scouting or read a cold submission. I'm usually in a few meetings per week-- sometimes marketing, sometimes pitch review, sometimes a brainstorm with Tom and Kevin, sometimes publishing schedule or editorial development.

There's a bunch of other small stuff, but that's the gist of it. It's a lot of organizing and double checking things, but broken up by reading (hopefully) fun scripts or looking at (hopefully) cool art, so that's nice.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #405
funatic
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Curnow View Post
Hmm, this will probably be a little boring, but you asked for it! Every day is a little different, but the broad strokes are . . .
I actually found that whole account quite interesting! I love this behind-the-scenes stuff. Thanks for sharing (and nice question Powder)! I feel Iike it may have been asked before (and just refer me back to the post if it has), but how does one come about becoming an editor for comics? Was it something that you specifically aspired to be, or a role that opened up while writing or performing other duties in the creative process? Does the job require any secondary education or previous experience? Business or Publishing degrees? Also, how many titles do you overlook concurrently? Also also, how do you typically go about talent-scouting for new artists/writers? (Would you like some burgers with this "grill"?)
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #406
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

There's no one set way of becoming an editor, I've heard of a bunch of different ways. I personally was in the film world and realized I wanted something with a bit more creative freedom that wasn't tied to a huge budget. I was always a comic fan since I was a kid, so started looking into opportunities in comics. I got an internship at IDW which I parlayed in an assistant editor job, etc.

I was a film major. There's no degree requirement, per se. I edit 7-8 books a month on average.

Mostly I just try and stay up on new comics coming out through various smaller publishers and look for artists I like. I also go through a lot of comics websites, visit artist alleys at conventions, and the such.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:49 AM   #407
funatic
Stone Warrior

Awesome! Thanks for the info! I too am a film major, who hasn't really touched a camera since graduation because of all the logistical & financial hurdles it takes to produce. I've been thinking of dipping into the world of comics in a writing or editing role recently, so this is comforting to hear!
funatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:47 PM   #408
Zage
Foot Soldier

Bookwurm would be cool to see, eventually.
Zage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:36 AM   #409
Powder
Endless Screw

Thanks for the thorough reply, Bobby, it's not boring at all! Sounds like they keep you real busy, but the fun kind of busy. I don't doubt there's stress along the way but it seems like a pretty enjoyable work day to me.

How concerned is IDW about their talents personal lives? Like, take how controversial Donald Trump is right now, for example. More or less, the general public feels you're a racist for supporting him, so if one of your artists were to post their interest in his campaign on Twitter or Tumblr, it could stir up a lot of controversy/negative attention. There are a lot of topics that get people going, medical marijuana, gun use, etc. I guess I'm asking what if they liked to Tweet about alcohol/sex/drugs/politics/etc? Do you take these things into consideration before hiring, or advise your established artists to kinda stay neutral on all accounts for the sake of bad press? Some people are championed by the fans/critics for "keeping it real", while others are reviled, but there are of course also those who separate the work from the artist & discount that sort of thing entirely. Then there are those who just play it safe all the time, you have to wonder if it's at the behest of their employer, a decision based in their own best interests for general reasons, or if they're just head-fast on the straight & narrow.
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #410
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

There's no easy answer to that question, and it has caused concern in the past with other titles/properties, though in those situations it's always been a creator commenting specifically on the property or it's fandom, not politics or what they are doing in their downtime. If it gets out of line, we talk to them about the situation, and there's been a couple instances of taking a creator off a book. Never with TMNT, we've been lucky.

Broadly speaking, a creator's private life is entirely their own, and IDW takes no position on it. They can say or do whatever they want. If it goes to the extent where there is a noticeable fan backlash that could affect sales, or like something seriously illegal, then we'd examine the situation, talk to the creator, and possibly make a decision from that. Everything would be on a case by case basis.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #411
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate

Hey Bobby, here's an odd one for you: is Old Hob a vegetarian or will he eat meat?

I could see it going either way, but given how protective he is for animals, I was just wondering if this question had occurred to anyone else... a little detail, but one that has grabbed my attention.

Technodrome Moderator: Because we have to chase him.

Technodrome Member: He didnt do anything wrong.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:44 PM   #412
neatoman
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Hey Bobby, here's an odd one for you: is Old Hob a vegetarian or will he eat meat?

I could see it going either way, but given how protective he is for animals, I was just wondering if this question had occurred to anyone else... a little detail, but one that has grabbed my attention.
Uhm, he's a cat? Cats have to eat meat in order to survive.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #413
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

Definitely eats meat I would imagine. He cares about protecting mutants, but is definitely a carnivore. He was trying to eat Raph back pre-mutation!
Old 03-08-2016, 02:50 PM   #414
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate

Quote:
Definitely eats meat I would imagine. He cares about protecting mutants, but is definitely a carnivore. He was trying to eat Raph back pre-mutation!
Cool. That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure if his stance might have changed once he started rescuing pet shop animals.

And we all know if this was Archie, he would absolutely be a vegan.

Technodrome Moderator: Because hes the hero Technodrome Forums deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So well hunt him because he can take it. Because hes not our hero. Hes a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A dark knight.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #415
CyberCubed
Overlord

That actually brings up an interesting question of what the Mutanimals actually eat? Like Hob wouldn't eat crab in front of Herman, would he?
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #416
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Black Order Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
That actually brings up an interesting question of what the Mutanimals actually eat? Like Hob wouldn't eat crab in front of Herman, would he?
No, because Herman is a loyal soldier. He would absolutely dine on turtle soup in front of Mikey, though.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #417
ChosenOne
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Hermit crabs can and do eat other hermit crabs, so I have a feeling Herman would be fine with it. Might even ask for a piece.
ChosenOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #418
Bobby Curnow
Official TMNT Staff/Cast

You guys just convinced me what the next mini-series should be:

TMNT: Dinner Party

(Everyone knows dinner parties are full of drama! Probably a fight or two as well)
Old 03-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #419
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
You guys just convinced me what the next mini-series should be:

TMNT: Dinner Party

(Everyone knows dinner parties are full of drama! Probably a fight or two as well)
Mutanimals: Dinner for Schmucks.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #420
Joey Kamikaze
Stone Warrior

TMNT: Mutanimeals
Joey Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bobby curnow, idw, idw's tmnt, questions, tom waltz