The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #81
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Aladdin and Jasmine were both voiced by the white people in the original animated film and hardly looked or sounded Arab.

The outrage is ridiculous. Might as well complain about Jasmine not wearing a Burqa or Aladdin not having a full blown beard.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 01-07-2018 at 03:18 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:36 PM   #82
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
No one in Aladdin should be white though.
Even background characters, whose faces you most likely will never see upclose?

I mean, from position of the setting, than probably yes, there shouldn't be white characters. Though why not? It's not like white people were not existing at the time of the story, but whatever.
But from position of moviemaking - isn't it ridiculous?

Last edited by Sumac; 01-07-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Sumac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:40 PM   #83
sdp
-

But you can't go all the way to the other extreme that they're racist against whites either. The extreme left is already looking foolish because of things like these but when you counter with extreme right believes it neglects the point and they can justify it as "only nazis have a problem with it".

Two wrongs don't make a right.

There shouldn't be white roles in Aladdin, background characters that you can't see is perfectly fine especially if they're "tanned" or brownish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
The outrage is ridiculous. Might as well complain about Jasmine not wearing a Burqa or Aladdin not having a full blown beard.
Almost, you can bet Jasmine won't be wearing her original outfit. And yet she will be a strong female based on interviews. No consistency.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #84
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

There is also this little bit of controversy that is mentioned in the report.

Quote:
The Times story quotes extra Kaushal Odedra, described as a stand in for one of the leads, as seeing as many as 20 “very fair skinned” actors in line outside make-up tents “waiting to have their skin darkened.”

“Disney are sending out a message that your skin colour, your identity, your life experiences amount to nothing that can be powered on and washed off,” Odedra told The Times.
http://deadline.com/2018/01/disney-a...up-1202237376/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:05 PM   #85
sdp
-

Because they are afraid that their cast members aren't "brown" enough for the extreme left and blogs are salivating at all the clickbait they'll be able to publish after the movie comes out to spark controversy and divide people politically further.

I think it must be tough for big companies right now as they have to appease the blogs or be swamped with "bad PR" that they create for the sake of clicks.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #86
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
Almost, you can bet Jasmine won't be wearing her original outfit. And yet she will be a strong female based on interviews. No consistency.
I hope it won't be like with Rey.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #87
sdp
-

For me it depends how it'll be handled, it can work but some of the quotes I've seen leave me worried. I want to love this movie but we'll see, I won't get a real look at the movie until the first trailer I guess.

This and Lion King are the two live action Disney adaptations I've actually cared about.

edit: just saw this movie is 2019, too early to be talking about it.

Last edited by sdp; 01-07-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:36 PM   #88
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

As someone who loves the Animated movie to death I am not excited for this movie one bit. I hope they don't **** it up.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #89
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I mean, it's not like there are white-passing Middle Easterners, right? Right???
Old 01-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #90
Shark_Blade
Emperor

White people has no place in Aladdin. We had enough movies with washing as it is (Exodus, Ghost in the Shell, Netflix's Death Note, etc).

I just remember Will Smith is Genie. Doubt he would be like Robbie Williams though.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #91
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
White people has no place in Aladdin.
Neither Middle Easterns, since originally tale took place in (heavily mythologized) China.

But seriously, no-one says about white people on main roles. We are talking strictly of background characters and stunt doubles. They can not be in the movie to because color of their skin?
You know what it's called like?
Old 01-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #92
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

And there's such a thing as acting, where you can become someone you're not in real life.

Charlton Heston was not Hebrew, yet his portrayal of Moses in The Ten Commandments was great.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #93
Redeemer
Technodrome Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Blade View Post
White people has no place in Aladdin. We had enough movies with washing as it is (Exodus, Ghost in the Shell, Netflix's Death Note, etc).

I just remember Will Smith is Genie. Doubt he would be like Robbie Williams though.
Death Note is like one of the worse examples that was purposely made to be an Americanized version of the Death Note story and the made "L" one of the main characters black on top of that.

But I agree there has been enough "white washing" or washing in general definitely. I just hope this movie is good and honors the Aladin we grew up with. Arabic story in an Arabic settings.

I have to say I think its funny that people are complaining about this so much, but not the actress who is playing starfire
Redeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:58 PM   #94
sdp
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemer View Post
I have to say I think its funny that people are complaining about this so much, but not the actress who is playing starfire
Well Starfire is orange so the race of who plays her is irrelevant she'll need to be painted. If she remains black then I'll be angry but I would've been angry at a white Starfire too, unless she had one of those fake tans that makes her look orange

Quote:
And there's such a thing as acting, where you can become someone you're not in real life.

Charlton Heston was not Hebrew, yet his portrayal of Moses in The Ten Commandments was great.
Naomi Scott was Kimberly in Power Rangers and it worked because she's "white enough" to pass it off, and she's great here because she's "brown enough" for me, though I wouldn't mind if she were tanner in this movie. I might not be choosing the best words but I guess my point comes across.

People having issues with races of the characters they like is logical, I usually don't care as long as they can "pass off" as the race the character normally is.

In other cases like Death Note it was more of an "american" take than Light/L trying to be those characters from the manga so it was ok, well the movie was kind of bad but you know what I mean. When it comes to manga that characters aren't technically Japanese I don't care, in the case of Ghost in the Shell it didn't matter much to me. In Spawn I was mad that they made some characters white so it wouldn't feel like "a black film". Kingpin in Daredevil(movie) I was fine with since he gave such an awesome performance that I couldn't see anyone else. Bane not being Latino in TDKRises was a shame though.

Basically my stand is:

I hate when characters are changed their ethnicity for whatever reason when they already have one while some only want white people because their bigots and others only want people of color because they think it's only fair.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #95
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Neither Middle Easterns, since originally tale took place in (heavily mythologized) China.
Which is true. Alladin originates from China and was incorporated into 1001 nights in the French translation in the 19th century, it's kinda funny that arguable to most well known 1001 story is not actually from the original text or Arabic.

While Alladin gotta be Chinese, the bad wizard is a Berber though, and the names, in-story customs and titles like Sultan are more Arabic then Chinese. But I've read that it most likely took place in the Muslim provinces of China, but I think the Emperor would be interested to hear there was a Sultan in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Neither Middle Easterns, since originally tale took But seriously, no-one says about white people on main roles. We are talking strictly of background characters and stunt doubles. They can not be in the movie to because color of their skin?
You know what it's called like?
At one hand, it would be nice to have a Hollywood movie with all Arabic/middle-eastern cast since Hollywood have a really iffy history with casting of middle-eastern actors, at another hand that's not gonna happen, though.

And, with Agrabah being a analog for Baghdad, and this is a LA version of Disney's adaptation. There should be Vikings wandering around doing trade in the background, Baghdad was a capitol city, a huge trading hub for the Silk Road so anyone from Europe, Africa and Asia would do trade there.

So BG characters should be diverse.

Quote:

There's also John Wayne as Genghis Khan
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #96
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Which is true. Alladin originates from China and was incorporated into 1001 nights in the French translation in the 19th century, it's kinda funny that arguable to most well known 1001 story is not actually from the original text or Arabic.

While Alladin gotta be Chinese, the bad wizard is a Berber though, and the names, in-story customs and titles like Sultan are more Arabic then Chinese. But I've read that it most likely took place in the Muslim provinces of China, but I think the Emperor would be interested to hear there was a Sultan in China
Yeah, I've read that original version was kind of weird mix of Chinese names and Arabian mythology. So, initially it could have been an Arabian story anyway, but set in "China" for some reason.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:26 PM   #97
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

I'm sure Naomi Scott will do well. It's great to see her in a much bigger role.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 07:47 PM   #98
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

This whole thing seems a little performative. Naomi Scott is British, Mena Massoud is Canadian, Marwan Kenzari is Dutch. Casting a cheese-ball Broadway musical version of Aladdin with sort’a kind’a Middle Eastern actors (or North Africans – because apparently that’s close enough) doesn’t add cultural authenticity. If Disney are worried about being accused of ‘cultural appropriation’, this doesn’t really absolve them in any way.

I have no problem with their casting choices, but I wish they’d get down from their high-horse and stop pretending they give two sh*ts about anything other than their shareholders.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:18 PM   #99
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Disney admits it.
Papenbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #100
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
I don't see anything wrong with it, actors have make up all the time.

Tags
#notmyaladdin, 3 sjw wishes, a whole new cuck, ain'tneverhadacucklikeme, cuck smith