The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

If you could permanently erase a part of TMNT history, what would it be?

Let's say you had the power to go back in time and erase something from TMNT history forever. What would it be? Think about of the possible effect it would have on the future of the property, btw. The butterfly of chaos theory, etc.

I'd erase the sale to Nick/Viacom, which meant the property would either die after Turtles Forever, get sold to somebody else, or just stay in dormant status forever. Erasing that buy would mean not having most of the stuff we got this decade, but I'd be OK with that. The Nick show didn't interest me and Bay Turtles can die in a fire, so I'd love to go back to a world where that crap didn't exist.

Perhaps someone like Marvel, DC or *shudders* Disney would have bought the TMNT property if Nick/Viacom had not, who knows. I'd be willing to take such risk, though.

What about you?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord

No. The Viacom sale was the best thing to happen to the franchise, and we got the most memorable TMNT universes this decade than before (again not counting the horrible nostril Turtles from the Michael Bay movies)
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #3
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

I agree with you Prowler, I would also completely erase tmnt after the Nick/Viacom sale, but more out of curiosity to see how the property is handled rather than because of my distaste for any one version.

I absolutely love the Nick toon and Rise, think the first PD film is bad, the second one is mediocre and I am indifferent to the IDW comics altogether, but I am curious to see what could've been done with tmnt differently if these versions never existed because of Nick never buying the property in the first place.

If what we get out of another company buying tmnt in this alternate reality is complete garbage, then I wouldn't even be mad at all because Turtles Forever was basically the perfect sendoff to the franchise, and you can basically get away with pretending that nothing was made after that film.
What they could do without being held back is my question.
Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building.
I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.
Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Micro? Wipe out the sale. Peter carries on with things.

Macro? Wipe out the Fred Wolf show and Turtlemania.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #5
Metalwolf
Mad Scientist

I would erase Turtles Forever. I hate comic-y multiverse crap, and maybe it might have allowed for a standalone Mirage movie or a standalone FW movie done with full attention dedicated to either without using them as a cheap nostalgia gimmick.
Metalwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #6
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalwolf View Post
I would erase Turtles Forever. I hate comic-y multiverse crap, and maybe it might have allowed for a standalone Mirage movie or a standalone FW movie done with full attention dedicated to either without using them as a cheap nostalgia gimmick.
They were literally going to do an animated adaptation of TMNT Vol. 1, #1 until Peter was "talked into" the idea of Turtles Forever. So yeah, the removal of Turtles Forever would virtually guarantee that.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:48 PM   #7
Zachatello00
Teenager w/ Attitude

Ooo! Fun question!

I don't know that I'd "erase" Ninja Turtles: The Next Mutation. There were some things I enjoyed about that. I would have instead significantly tweaked it. Maybe I'm okay with coming right out and saying I'd erase Venus DeMilo.

I haven't read any of the comics with the Jennika character. From what I understand, fans actually are really digging it, but in just hearing about that, I got some pretty "Venusy" vibes. I can't hate on it (and I'm not, by the way) since I haven't read it, but I mean, the Venus thing was just... ew.

I like the idea of a live action turtles series, and NM had some potential for 1998, but I just couldn't with Venus.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Maybe I'm okay with coming right out and saying I'd erase Venus DeMilo.
NT:TNM's footprint on... well, anything is so small, I really wouldn't even bother. Venus or not, nobody cared about NT:TNM. Not even kids.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #9
Zachatello00
Teenager w/ Attitude

You're not wrong. But I wonder if it could have had a bigger footprint with better direction.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Viacom sale-- I'm curious what would have happened with the John Fusco-scripted film.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
Viacom sale-- I'm curious what would have happened with the John Fusco-scripted film.
There's no guarantee it would have seen the light of day, sale or no sale. But removing the sale from the equation would improve its chances by 100%!

I'd honestly be happy to just read it at this point, seeing what the hubbub was about. Someone should leak it.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #12
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Emperor

Secret of the Ooze

Secret of the Ooze (as it was finally produced), because it removed the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen in the original film series.
Because of continuity and timeline errors, I've given up writing fanfiction based on the 1987-1996 animated television series. Instead, I'm trying to reboot the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles story, something many other fanfiction writers already do:

Hopefully, stories will later appear at

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/968367/O...NT-Cartoon-Fan
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:44 PM   #13
Leo656
The Franchise

I'm tempted to say the Nick/Viacom sale, because that's the root cause of everything bad we've gotten since or ever will get from now on. BUT, who knows what might have happened otherwise. Disney probably would have gotten it and we'd probably be in even worse shape than we already are. Tough to say.

So with that uncertainty factored in, the one thing I can say I'd absolutely erase are the BayTurtles movies. Those things did absolutely no good on this Earth.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #14
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
BUT, who knows what might have happened otherwise. Disney probably would have gotten it and we'd probably be in even worse shape than we already are. Tough to say.
It's true... Peter would have continued to be open to listening to offers from big companies. Eventually Disney would have gotten around to it.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #15
sdp
Winsider

I'd say viacom sale but if not likely another worse company like Warner/Disney could've gotten their hands on it since Laird would've sold.

So I'll just say Pixel Dan.

Dommage Rave & TMNT @ MiscRave.com
Twitter @ 0sdp
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:38 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

How about... "erase Peter Laird's willingness to ever sell TMNT"? I think that would cover it.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Maybe the Viacom sale as you all have suggested. IF Nick continues to want to go in not so fantastic directions with it. (But the willingness to allow that Batman vs TMNT movie is at least hopeful for what they're willing to allow in the future.)

Otherwise, for better or for worse, I don't think I'd erase any of it. Even the things that didn't turn out so great at least serve a purpose of being an example of what to maybe try to avoid later.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 12-02-2019 at 06:22 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:13 PM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Venus, Image, perhaps the Power Rangers crossover, yeah, the latter because it was the final straw with Power Rangers which was my secondary fandom as Batman is for me today. It was the Turbo replacements not the original six and Venus was present. The turtles were brainwashed and made to look bad and the paranoid prick that was the Red Ranger was proven right. 21 years later I get my 90s' kids dream team up not a joke that spit on the TMNT. It was the last we would see of the TMNT for five years too.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #19
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
Secret of the Ooze (as it was finally produced), because it removed the extraterrestrial origin of the mutagen in the original film series.
You know, I have to agree here. It may be smaller scale to some of what we have posted, but I like the idea of seeing Professor Jordan Perry reveal to the audience that he is a disguise for an utrom. I read it was scraped to avoid confusion with Krang. I may have been a pre-schooler then but I knew the difference in the films and the cartoon and Archie's TMNT Adventures take so with three concurrent versions if it was clearly stated of a race which Krang may be a part of, but is a whole species I could tell the difference as young as i was. Did this even get to script stage? Shredder dropping a pier on the five of them in a murder-suicide attempt and not surviving after surviving the garbage truck dive was a stupid direction. Made the mutation rather pointless.

Check out the best DC Comics site on the net:
http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/index.php
Now featuring Ethan Van Sciver!

MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post