The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 08-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #301
Musashi
Foot Soldier

Respect. I tried watching a bit of Rise - Uh... Hehheh, Rise... when I stumbled across it watching TV, and couldn't endure more than a few seconds. The 2012 show, I've seen a few episodes. I see what they were doing there, and I think they made a lot of smart choices for the time, and quite liked it. Not really for me, though, which is fine. My generation had 3 different - 4, even? - versions of the Turtles to choose from, from grim and dark to very silly and a lot in between.

Just responding to some of the points already made, not presenting these as generally unpopular opinions. Not really sure I have many relating to TMNT, if any at all.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:22 AM   #302
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
What? Oroku thought that he was hot. Maybe he wanted to expose some skin for a certain Channel Six ginger reporter figurine.

But yeah - I had a Shredder figure and even I thought that a 'shirtless Shredder' figure was odd.

Oh, Playmates.

Oroku was more hot when he was in that hologram disguise when he went to meet the punk frogs
NeonTurtledude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 06:40 AM   #303
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Just take Spongebob hostage and demand they open the door and let the Turtles free, else the sponge gets it.
tbf a lot of people think that modern Spongebob is either terrible, mixed or just not as good as the pre movie (1-3) seasons
Old 08-13-2022, 08:00 AM   #304
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

as for my own unpopular opinions, I have a lot.

I like the coming out of their shells tour, it has some good songs, it's fun and camp

I also love the 90s OVA, it has a good theme song and some good comedy and action, the tmnt manga is also quite good.

I enjoyed Fast Forward and Back to the Sewers, although I dislike some of the character interactions and art style choices from Back to the Sewers.

Splinter was a bit bland in the Fred wolf series, still enjoyable but he just didn't have much to his personality compared to 2003 Splinter, 2012 Splinter is a good mix to the two but I disagree with how he hits the turtles sometimes, I get that "discipline" is important in martial arts and the 2012 turtles do need to settle when arguing but there are other ways to do it, so 2003 Splinter is my favourite.

I like Mikey's character in the 2003 and 2012 series but I understand why he'd be irritating to some fans.

while I love 2003/2012 Raphael, I do like it when there are Raphael interpretations that don't have him being a hot head as his only character trait so I like his character development in the 2012 series and Rise and his Fred wolf snark gets a chuckle out of me once in a while.

I don't get why the people who don't like Rise's art style don't like it because it's too "anime looking" retrospectively I've noticed TMNT has always had anime influences, especially in the art style, while it's gotten more noticeable in the newer iterations and the Fred wolf series looks more western in its style most of the time, anime as a genre has a lot of variety, some styles are stylized and cartoony while others are more realistic looking, I guess it depends on what anime style someone prefers, but I still think it's a silly comment when the first season of the Fred wolf series was animated by a Japanese studio.

I enjoy Rise (what I've seen of it anyway), I understand that it's not everyone's cup of tea and that's fine but I love the animation and some of the characters

TMNT (2007) could've been good if they just fixed up the story direction, I've seen some people in recent years acknowledge that it's an "underrated" movie and while it does have some incredible artwork, animation and action, the story is confusing, I don't get where it places on the timeline (maybe someone could correct me here, but the only connection I can guess would be the 2003 series because of their designs and dynamics)

I love both the silly Fred wolf Shredder and the more serious shredder iterations of the 2003 and 2012 series

I don't mind the UK edit of the Fred wolf theme song, since it was sang by the same singer as the original, it's not that different but the distinctions in the pitches and notes are neat, however, I still think the general censorship was very stupid and a reflection of how horrible the Thatcher era was (blaming the media for problems that were caused by other issues), but some of the hero turtles era artwork are cool relics of the decade.

(from what I've seen since I haven't read these), I like some of the IDW artwork and Jennika has a cool design, I've heard that her story isn't good, but since I haven't read it myself, I don't have an opinion on that, Lita is cute though, she's like a mix of Chibiusa and Hotaru from Sailor Moon.

While April being a love interest to the turtles is something I don't mind and find cute sometimes, based on the season 1 and 2 episodes I've rewatched of the Fred wolf series, it looks like even she doesn't even see them as love interests, she sees them more as friends/allies, I've seen that she does kiss them sometimes I think those are "friendly, playful" kisses, she's similar to Misato from Evangelion I think, other than rex-1 I think Irma could be a good love interest for her if she wasn't always looking for a guy (they do spend a lot of time together, there was the line in case of the killer pizzas about a romantic dinner for two).

and generally, I like seeing how each tmnt iteration is distinct in style and has their interpretations of the stories, characters and settings, this includes...the approach to character love interests (aside from April), I like seeing Fred wolf Shredder and Krang being an "old married couple" and Bebop and Rocksteady enjoying each other's company, characters being attracted to men, women, whatever doesn't bother me much, but I understand that different people have their shipping preferences and their interpretations on how they want the characters to be portrayed, and I also get that sometimes changes like that can be forced in fictional media (like how Disney always advertises that a new character is gonna be "gay" only for them to just be in a short one-off background scene). if a change is handled in the right way and the character retains their other traits, I think it's fine.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #305
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

I have several unpopular opinions, but here’s my top one:

T-cest is just wrong.

It doesn’t matter whether they are blood-related or not, they are still brothers. There’s a reason it’s called T-cest: it is incest.

If you’re going to tell me, “Well, love is love”, then I suppose you agree with Woody Allen, who married his own stepdaughter.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:58 AM   #306
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I have several unpopular opinions, but here’s my top one:

T-cest is just wrong.

It doesn’t matter whether they are blood-related or not, they are still brothers. There’s a reason it’s called T-cest: it is incest.

If you’re going to tell me, “Well, love is love”, then I suppose you agree with Woody Allen, who married his own stepdaughter.
I didn't watch Rise past maybe the second episode. But are you saying that at some point in the show one of the Turtles basically wants to hook up with one of the other Turtles or something?!?!
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 11:05 AM   #307
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I didn't watch Rise past maybe the second episode. But are you saying that at some point in the show one of the Turtles basically wants to hook up with one of the other Turtles or something?!?!
I don’t know. I hope not. I only watched a couple of “Rise” episodes so I’m not exactly up-to-date on the series. I seriously doubt it though.

But I recall seeing T-cest fan art on DeviantArt by Sophie Campbell, the current writer for IDW TMNT (before she deleted them of course).
Old 08-13-2022, 11:10 AM   #308
NeonTurtledude
Hench Mutant

yeah t-cest is wrong

it's not a rise thing, just a gross fandom thing
Old 08-13-2022, 11:14 AM   #309
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonTurtledude View Post
it's not a rise thing, just a gross fandom thing
Exactly. Well put.
Old 03-30-2023, 03:27 AM   #310
TheLabRat
Hench Mutant

Let the weapon define the turtles is very foolish. Some writers and fans claimed that give each of them a specific weapon can fixes their flaw, I will say this just an excuse and just wasted the turtles fighting potential. Ninjas are all-rounder. Even the famous samurai, sword saint in ancient japan. They are also master of spears, bows and firearms.
TheLabRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #311
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowabung-Gal View Post
I don’t know. I hope not. I only watched a couple of “Rise” episodes so I’m not exactly up-to-date on the series. I seriously doubt it though.

But I recall seeing T-cest fan art on DeviantArt by Sophie Campbell, the current writer for IDW TMNT (before she deleted them of course).
Did she actually?! If so, that's ****ed! Anyone who supports incest should not be allowed to be writing Turtles.
Monty Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:25 AM   #312
Zachatello00
Ninja Comedian

A TMNT Festivus thread? Here we go!

Here's my first unpopular opinion - despite growing up with and enjoying (at the time) the original cartoon, I'm largely not a fan of it today. I have great memories with it, and still have several of my old toys, but I find it so cringey and unwatchable - especially beyond seasons 1 and 2. Give me 2k3 anyday.

I do love Bebop and Rocksteady, though.

Also, why do people keep putting Donatello in either goggles or glasses? Or in the case of Michael Bay, both? I hate that so much...
Old 03-30-2023, 09:30 AM   #313
Vegita-San
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Mole View Post
Did she actually?! If so, that's ****ed! Anyone who supports incest should not be allowed to be writing Turtles.
a trans person doing something weird? say it isn't so . old Ross should loose a job there.

'Wrong, April. We've Been upgraded to Women hating TROLLS'

?The force is not female, the force is not male, the force is for everyone?
Vegita-San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:34 AM   #314
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I prefer the 1987 Raphael interpretation over the standard Raphael in most media. I like him being more sarcastic than the angry New Yorker.

It works in the 1990 movie, though.
Old 03-30-2023, 10:41 AM   #315
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
a trans person doing something weird? say it isn't so . old Ross should loose a job there.
Don't care about her being trans. That's not my business, but if she's pro incest, then no, **** her!
Old 03-30-2023, 10:45 AM   #316
Monty Mole
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachatello00 View Post
Also, why do people keep putting Donatello in either goggles or glasses? Or in the case of Michael Bay, both? I hate that so much...
Because they think people won't be able to tell who the smart one is.
Old 03-30-2023, 12:43 PM   #317
CyberCubed
Overlord

This probably isn't an unpopular opinion but I never minded the color bandanas. Of course in cartoons for kids it makes sense, but even in the original movies or IDW comic I don't mind it.

If they ever do an accurate Mirage adaption of the first 11 issues in movie form either in live action or animated then there I agree they should all have red bandanas 100%.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 01:07 PM   #318
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Obviously fighting the battle against the rainbow bandannas is old hat and "there's no stopping that train now" and all, but nothing makes my blood boil like seeing merch (T-Shirts, posters, etc.) of ACTUAL Mirage imagery (like the cover of #1, or the two page spread inside where they're leaping toward the reader with weapons drawn) that recolors the bandannas into the rainbow colors.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 02:50 PM   #319
Barkworm
Super Moderator

I don't know if it's an unpopular opinion but I watched the "Rise" film two weeks ago and it was good!? I had never watched any episodes of the show but I stumbled upon a trailer and thought it looked interesting. The film itself had great animation and some convincing character moments, Leo's arc worked really well. Sure, the plot is the most basic time travel stuff you could imagine but it worked. I didn't like their version of April (annoying!) and Raph's voice actor but that's pretty much it on the negative side.

Most people seem to like the IMAGI film but it's bad! Considering the budget, the animation was fine but the script was amateur-level non-sense.

I haven't watched Ninja Turtles III in maybe 20 years but I don't hate it. I know it's rubbish and I would probably never watch it ever again but I feel nostalgic about it. Just a good memory of pre-internet times and learning about new films from magazine covers.

Jim Lawson's art has always been controversial around here but I cannot stand anything apart from his work in Vol. 1. I remember getting one of the Archie books way back in 1991 (I think) and the first half was drawn by Ken Mitchroney, whose art I loved. Then all of a sudden - Lawson! It just looked absolutely horrible.
Barkworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 03:06 PM   #320
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkworm View Post
Just a good memory of pre-internet times and learning about new films from magazine covers.
It was a magical time, depending on your age. Starlog Magazine and Fangoria, and so on on the shelves and you could cruise through malls hitting the bookstores eating up little morsels about new films and sequels that may or may not happen (the same for video games and video game mags). Then coming back next month, looking for the next issues to get more info.

Quote:
Jim Lawson's art has always been controversial around here but I cannot stand anything apart from his work in Vol. 1. I remember getting one of the Archie books way back in 1991 (I think) and the first half was drawn by Ken Mitchroney, whose art I loved. Then all of a sudden - Lawson! It just looked absolutely horrible.
As a kid, I definitely did not give him the appreciation he warranted. To me then, he was "the bad one" and Mithroney was "the good one." But I was like 8. I would sometimes cross my fingers that the next issue would be "the good one" and not "the bad one." I think he rocked the whole way through, now, of course.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote