The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 04:15 PM   #21
CyberCubed
Overlord

I nearly fell asleep watching the first Trek movie, even on 1.5x speed it was too slow.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:21 PM   #22
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Tarantino's Star Trek? At this point sure, why not, it'll be entertaining and maybe Tarantino's homage take on 60's sci-fi. I don't have a horse in the new Trek movie universe anyway.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM   #23
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I nearly fell asleep watching the first Trek movie, even on 1.5x speed it was too slow.
Only real Star Trek movie I've never bothered to watch. The novelization did a better job of telling the story... with some odd input from Gene Roddenberry himself, if I remember correctly.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #24
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Everyone knows that the even number Star Trek movies were the best ones.
Wasn't true of 10 and it sure wasn't true of 12.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:41 PM   #25
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Two, four, six, and 8 I'll give him though. 10 is a big "MAAAYBE".... Three and seven were pretty good.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:49 PM   #26
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Wasn't true of 10 and it sure wasn't true of 12.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Two, four, six, and 8 I'll give him though. 10 is a big "MAAAYBE".... Three and seven were pretty good.
11, 12, and 13 aren't Prime Trek, they're Kelvin Trek. I wouldn't bother ranking them together with the Prime 10 even if I did like them.

10 kinda limped, but I still like it. Loved Tom Hardy. I think it would have been better if Stewart, Frakes, McFadden, Sirtis, et al didn't look so old... Nemesis was an action movie with a geriatric cast, and it was just a little unconvincing.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
10 is a big "MAAAYBE"
10 is a great big "F*** no." Embarrassingly bad. I never thought I'd feel as horrible leaving the theater until Into Darkness years later.

Quote:
.... Three and seven were pretty good.
3 hasn't aged quite as well as 2, but I do dig it. 7 gets a lot of crap from people but I generally really enjoy it. It's not all it could be but it works for what it is.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 12-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 PM   #28
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
10 kinda limped, but I still like it. Loved Tom Hardy. I think it would have been better if Stewart, Frakes, McFadden, Sirtis, et al didn't look so old... Nemesis was an action movie with a geriatric cast, and it was just a little unconvincing.
I agree with Plinkett on every point:

Old 12-06-2017, 05:19 AM   #29
biganimefan
Foot Soldier

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a Star Trek movie by Tarantino. Bring it on, as far as I'm concerned!

But seriously though, it was a pretty big mistake to reboot the franchise like this in the first place. We had nearly a decade and a half in the Prime Universe's 24th Century. Should have placed movies and tv shows AFTER that point. Also...retcon the 29th and 31st Centuries stupid obsession with time travel. You cannot tell me that the Federation became more time focused than space focused. Unless they have a presence everywhere in the Universe at that point which I highly doubt!
biganimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:25 AM   #30
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biganimefan View Post
But seriously though, it was a pretty big mistake to reboot the franchise like this in the first place. We had nearly a decade and a half in the Prime Universe's 24th Century.

Should have placed movies and tv shows AFTER that point.
Yeah, let's see the 25th. What's going on with the Federation then? With the Romulans, after Romulus blew up? With the Klingons? Plus we can get the occasional guest spot from the TNG, DS9, or VOY crews.

Or...

Quote:
Also...retcon the 29th and 31st Centuries stupid obsession with time travel. You cannot tell me that the Federation became more time focused than space focused. Unless they have a presence everywhere in the Universe at that point which I highly doubt!
Retcon that away? That's a horrible idea. The Starfleet of the 29th century onward is fascinating and we know so little about how it operates. A Star Trek show set within that timeframe on a ship that is as much tasked with policing time as it is exploration and politics could be awesome. I'd kind of like to see that show over even a 25th century show (plus if you're doing a straight up Star Trek time travel show, TOS and TNG could be revisited).
Old 12-06-2017, 10:35 AM   #31
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Yeah, let's see the 25th. What's going on with the Federation then? With the Romulans, after Romulus blew up? With the Klingons? Plus we can get the occasional guest spot from the TNG, DS9, or VOY crews.

Or...

Retcon that away? That's a horrible idea. The Starfleet of the 29th century onward is fascinating and we know so little about how it operates. A Star Trek show set within that timeframe on a ship that is as much tasked with policing time as it is exploration and politics could be awesome. I'd kind of like to see that show over even a 25th century show (plus if you're doing a straight up Star Trek time travel show, TOS and TNG could be revisited).
Absolutely. Prequels are easy sells to Hollywood, but most times end up horrible or forgettable or just inferior.

Go 25th century; show us the Romulans and Dominion as allies, and scary new threats from outside the Milky Way.

Or go to the 29th century, and show us the USS Relativity taking orders from the 31st century as they fight on the front lines of the Temporal Cold War.

Or go back to the 22nd century and show us the founding of the Federation, if you must, and explore the time period halfway between ENT and TOS.

But 10 years before TOS? Come on...
Old 12-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #32
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Everyone knows that the even number Star Trek movies were the best ones.
I do remember someone saying that years go but that was before 10 came out I think.

Well, this thread has put me in the mood for a Star Trek movie this eve.

I think I was so caught up in the original characters coming back and seeing their enterprise design again etc that I just didn't hate the new movies like most on here. I was also very happy to see Leonard Nimoy, Spock is my favourite ST character.

Anyway, back on the thread topic, I'd be curious to see what he'd do.
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #33
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quentin Tarantino's Star Trek is going to be the 1st R rated movie for this franchise, and Paramount is all for it.
https://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin...ms-1202222161/
Old 12-07-2017, 02:36 PM   #34
newfan
Mad Scientist

..... but does ST need an R rating? Holding off criticism here btw, I'm just interested to see what you guys think of that.

Will it still be the re-booted Kirk and Spock or totally new incarnation?
newfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #35
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Oh sure. Making Kirk a reckless hard copy of Maverick in Top Gun wasn't enough. He needs to be gun totin' as well, phasers set to XTREME annihilation.

Or the R rating comes from Internet Space Rapist Kirk finally makes his cinematic debut...
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #36
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Oh sure. Making Kirk a reckless hard copy of Maverick in Top Gun wasn't enough. He needs to be gun totin' as well, phasers set to XTREME annihilation.

Or the R rating comes from Internet Space Rapist Kirk finally makes his cinematic debut...
Or the Enterprise crew will be dropping F bombs left and right.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #37
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've never been very impressed with Tarantino's work. I find I have more fun quoting the movie after the fact than I do actually watching it.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #38
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Or the Enterprise crew will be dropping F bombs left and right.
I do wonder how what the Americans euphemistically call "the n-word" will fit in the Star Trek universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I know I'm in the minority here, but I've never been very impressed with Tarantino's work. I find I have more fun quoting the movie after the fact than I do actually watching it.
I've only truly see Inglorious Basterds. It was alright, but the trailer was misleading. There were times in the movie where I forgot about the existence of the "basterds". Shoshanna felt more like the main character of the movie to me.

I'm not familiarised with the rest of his work. Only seen clips of pulp Fiction and Django Unchained on youtube. The man either loves rap music or thinks he is a black man in a white man's body
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:57 PM   #39
CyberCubed
Overlord

I've seen all his movies, Kill Bill 1 and 2, Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, Hateful Eight, etc. are some of his best.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #40
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I haven't seen a Tarantino movie I haven't loved. Maybe Jackie Brown... I don't remember much about it now aside from Robert De Niro screwing Bridget Fonda at one point and Samuel L. Jackson being super scary. I've also found that Django Unchained doesn't hold up super well on a second watching. The rest? All aces. Every single one, even "Death Proof."