The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-29-2016, 05:59 PM   #121
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I'm pretty sure it was already poised to at least meet the same box office as "The Force Awakens," but does anyone think that Carrie Fisher's passing, particularly with her having completed her role (along with everyone else back in July so I'm not sure why this is suddenly news on all the sites) in the film which is reportedly larger than her role in VII (albeit, which isn't saying much)... is going to galvanize audiences into making Episode VIII an even bigger hit than it was already going to be in a Heath Ledger manner?
Is it possible to get bigger than TFA? I mean, CAN you get bigger than TFA?
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #122
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Hard to tell, TFA had the advantage of being a new SW movie in 10 years that continued the story of the original movies, I'm sure Carrie's death will get people who wouldn't have watched it to check it out but I'm not sure if it's enough from people who checked it out because it was a new SW. Remember this will be the third SW movie released by Disney being set apart by 3 years. I'm not saying it'll do badly but I don't think it'll blow away TFA in numbers, it''ll do similar numbers I'm guessing maybe a little bit more but most likely less even if not by a lot. But it's early to tell maybe the trailers are very engaging and Luke's role will get people to see it more excited than before.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:50 PM   #123
CyberCubed
Overlord

It could very likely do better than Episode 7 in terms of box office. Carrie's death, plus this movie people expect to be an improvement or new direction for the movies since this is the second film and all the introductory stuff is over, not to mention Mark Hammil's first major role in these movies...I can see it easily.

Episode 8 will probably be the highest grossing of these new movies. Carrie's death, Mark Hammil's first big role, seeing Rey/Finn etc. return for a better movie...etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #124
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was already poised to at least meet the same box office as "The Force Awakens," but does anyone think that Carrie Fisher's passing, particularly with her having completed her role (along with everyone else back in July so I'm not sure why this is suddenly news on all the sites) in the film which is reportedly larger than her role in VII (albeit, which isn't saying much)... is going to galvanize audiences into making Episode VIII an even bigger hit than it was already going to be in a Heath Ledger manner?
I don't think so. All the passionate fans were already going to see it anyways. All the hashtagging lemmings will have moved on long before next December and will be pretending to care about some other dead celebrity.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #125
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

'Star Wars' Braintrust Sets Meeting to Plot Leia's Life After Carrie Fisher's Death

Disney weighs options for the future of the iconic character as directors for the upcoming 'Episode VIII' and 2019's 'Episode IX' plan out how she will fit into the rest of the franchise films.

Carrie Fisher's Dec. 27 death has left a disturbance in the Force. Her iconic Princess Leia is set to appear in the next two Star Wars films, and insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that at least two key scenes are planned for Episode VIII (Dec. 15) and Episode IX (2019): a Leia reunion with Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and a confrontation with Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), her son who killed Harrison Ford's Han Solo in 2015's The Force Awakens.

Details of where those scenes fit into the movies remain unclear, but insiders say Leia was to have been a bigger part of Episode IX than VIII. Episode VIII director Rian Johnson has finished shooting, but Episode IX doesn't have a start date; both Force Awakens and Episode VIII began production at the beginning of a year so it is very likely that Episode IX will begin shooting in early 2018 for a December 2019 release. And the status of its script, being written by Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly, is unknown. (Disney won't comment.)

Trevorrow, the filmmaker behind Jurassic World who is directing Episode IX, is due to arrive in L.A. the week of Jan. 10 for meetings with Lucasfilm's Kathleen Kennedy to discuss options. But unlike in other cases where actors died during the filmmaking process — Paul Walker in Furious 7 comes to mind — it appears that the team has time to explore solutions.

(As well as time to grieve. As one insider puts it, "People are still deeply mourning Carrie's death over there.")

Leia could be written out and her scenes reshot, options not unheard of in the Star Wars universe. Rogue One went through a major overhaul and was met with glowing reviews and blockbuster box office. Episode VIII also went through a major rewrite with Johnson, who had to overhaul his script after he saw the significant changes J.J. Abrams made to the overarching Star Wars story thanks to his extensive postproduction work during Force Awakens. (Johnson had based his script on Force Awakens' earlier drafts.)

Another solution is to use CGI effects; a reduced role could mean Leia would only appear in glimpses. "Rogue One is the road map," says one Star Wars source, referring to Lucasfilm resurrecting Peter Cushing and making Fisher young again in the current hit.

"I have no doubt, given some of the recent work I've seen, there are filmmakers who will be willing to take up the challenge," says Michael Fink, an Oscar-winning VFX supervisor who teaches at USC. But, "so far, we have seen moments of success but not full performances." He says there's also ethics to weigh: "Should we create additional roles for Princess Leia? I don't think so."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-future-960849
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #126
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Episode VIII officially titled The Last Jedi

NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:15 AM   #127
The Deadman
Foot Elite

Star Wars: Episode VIII Title Officially Revealed as Star Wars: The Last Jedi!

Last Movie Watched: Hell House LLC (2015).
Last TV Show Watched: Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog (S1:E29).
The Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #128
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I like it. It also makes me think of "The Last Samurai", which is fitting, considering the original Star Wars movie was a Westernized sci-fi retelling of "The Hidden Fortress."
Old 01-23-2017, 09:36 AM   #129
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
I like it. It also makes me think of "The Last Samurai", which is fitting, considering the original Star Wars movie was a Westernized sci-fi retelling of "The Hidden Fortress."
^ Agreed. Good title choice.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #130
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Sounds like fanfiction. Like all the fan-rumored titles of the prequels, "Fall of the Republic," etc. etc..
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #131
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Sounds like fanfiction. Like all the fan-rumored titles of the prequels, "Fall of the Republic," etc. etc..
If you're keeping titles short and memorable, there aren't that many options.

It's also better than "The Force Awakens", which I think was the weakest title choice ever. Of course, I also didn't put much thought into a better alternative...
Old 01-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #132
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It also doesn't track well. "Return of the Jedi," "The Force Awakens"... "The Last Jedi"? Huh? Already, 2 movies later? They just returned!
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #133
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It also doesn't track well. "Return of the Jedi," "The Force Awakens"... "The Last Jedi"? Huh? Already, 2 movies later? They just returned!
Not necessarily. If Luke Skywalker was the last Jedi (before Rey), and his fate/disappearance/rediscovery is a critical part of the overall story, then it makes sense.

It seems to me that if any title was unduly optimistic, it'd be "ROTJ." One dude comes back, blows up another Death Star, kills the Emperor, and then runs away when his nephew turns to the Dark Side.

Well thanks a lot, Luke. You're a terrible uncle.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #134
snake
Disgusting

Good title!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #135
ToTheNines
[sic]

Quote:
Sounds like fanfiction.
Because it is lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It seems to me that if any title was unduly optimistic, it'd be "ROTJ." One dude comes back, blows up another Death Star, kills the Emperor, and then runs away when his nephew turns to the Dark Side.
The "Jedi" in ROTJ was Anakin.
ToTheNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #136
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post

Holy sh*t, dude. I never thought of it like that. Wow.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM   #137
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Episode VIII officially titled The Last Jedi

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2...0&h=386&crop=1

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #138
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Holy sh*t, dude. I never thought of it like that. Wow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
Neither did I. Wow... mind blown.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #139
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

The Last Jedi?

Did everything change when the First Order attacked?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #140
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
The Last Jedi?

Did everything change when the First Order attacked?
I understood that reference.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
notmyskywalker, star wars, subvert expectations, the last sjw