The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #1
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,783
James Cameron working on a new Terminator movie

With Tim Miller set to direct.

Quote:
EXCLUSIVE: Heíll be back! James Cameron, who regains certain rights to his prized creation The Terminator in 2019, is godfathering a new iteration of the film that might finally get it right in drawing a close in the battle between humans and Skynet. Sources said that Cameron, whose copyright reversion happens 35 years after the release of the 1984 classic, is in early talks with Deadpool director and VFX wiz Tim Miller to direct a reboot and conclusion of one of cinemaís great science fiction tales. David Ellison, whose Skydance co-financed Terminator Genisys, is bankrolling an exploratory effort that includes engaging some top-flight science fiction authors to find the movie creatively. Ellison still holds many Terminator rights, after his 2013 acquisition from sister and Annapurna principal Megan Ellison. She bought them in 2011 at Cannes for $20 million.

This is the latest development in an ongoing saga. Indeed, The Terminator might have endured the craziest road of any billion dollar movie franchise, going back to when Cameron ó who only had Piranha 2 under his belt as director ó sold the rights to his scripted project for $1 to producer Gale Ann Hurd, with the stipulation he could not be fired as director. The result was a 1984 sci-fi classic, that launched his star and that of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Cameron came back and topped himself to write and direct he blockbuster Terminator 2: Judgment Day, but he washed his hands of the property after that. He mentioned to producers Mario Kassar and Andy Vajna his plans to buy the rights back from Carolco bankruptcy. They beat him to the punch, figuring he would still participate, but Cameron responded by walking away. He didnít participate in the three films that followed, or the TV show The Sarah Connor Chronicles. The rights ended up with Pacificor, which paid $29.5 million, and Megan Ellison bought them after that company floundered. Cameron has had zero involvement since then, and has largely been silent. The exception was on the last picture, Terminator Genisys. Perhaps because his old buddy and True Lies star Schwarzenegger had returned as the title character, Cameron was generous in his assessment, reportedly saying that the Alan Taylor-directed film had reinvigorated and created a renaissance for the franchise.

Audiences disagreed and the franchise seemed out of gas when the $155 million grossed $440 million worldwide, but didnít do nearly well enough in the U.S. Perhaps Cameron was foreshadowing his own future return to the franchise. Much the way that Sony used to rush Spider-Man movies to stay ahead of a rights reversion ticking clock, it was always known that Cameron would regain clout eventually. It didnít seem that Skydance or Paramount had much interest continuing the creative track of the last film, but real creative involvement by Cameron, even if he doesnít direct, changes the whole ballgame. One only has to look at Aliens, True Lies, Titanic or Avatar to see what he is capable of creatively when he puts his mind to something.

I donít know anything more than Iíve disclosed here, including whether they reboot the whole thing or pick up from where Cameron left off after the second film. Iíve heard the hope is for Miller to direct whatever they come up with. Cameron is booked for four Avatar sequels, to shoot two at a time. No comment from any of the involved parties.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/terminat...ce-1201890848/
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,176
Would be nice to have a good solid movie to end the franchise with, but my god this series has had so many "second chances" now its gotten ridiculous.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Would be nice to have a good solid movie to end the franchise with, but my god this series has had so many "second chances" now its gotten ridiculous.
I would like to see the next film take place completly in 2029, about John Connor and the resistance finally taking down Skynet.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
Spike Spiegel
Long-Legged Mack Daddy
 
Spike Spiegel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: At my desk drawing something
Posts: 1,979
I'm still waiting on his "Battle Angel" adaptation.

Terminator 3 was underrated and the Sarah Connor Chronicles was the best thing to come out of the franchise since T2.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #5
Wildcat
Mad Scientist
 
Wildcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,853
So they're totally ignoring Genisys? I've never fully understood if it was a sequel or it was intended to ignore the first 4 movies but I really enjoyed it.

I don't see why they'd do a reboot it if Cameron wants to do an ending though.
__________________
Nothing can survive the will to stay alive, cause if you try, you can do anything.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!
 
Bry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,443
Forget Schwarzenegger.... bring back Linda Hamilton.
__________________
Bry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
I'm still waiting on his "Battle Angel" adaptation.

Terminator 3 was underrated and the Sarah Connor Chronicles was the best thing to come out of the franchise since T2.
Battle Angel is coming out July 2018. Unfortunately Cameron is only producing - Robert Rodriguez is directing,
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #8
sdp
<<raver>>
 
sdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: MO
Posts: 5,670
So you have tons of different continuities..

T1-T2-T3
T1-T2-T:Sarah Conner Chronicles
T1-T2-T:Salvation
T1-T2-T:Genysis (or does Genysis remake T1/2?)
T1-T2-T:untitled cameron sequel?

That's pretty confusing, I remember trying to put T3 and SCC in continuity with each other since there's a few references to T3 in the SCC show and I guess Salvation can occur in everything since it's a prequel/sequel whatever way you want to look at it and I didn't even watch Genysis so I never understood if it was supposed to override the first two movies or just ignore the rest. I haven't seen any of the movies since I was a kid basically and 3 when I was a teen but I guess I should marathon them and one day make a convoluted single timeline full of retcons to make things fit. Which is fitting since T2 the sequel everyone accepts started with a retcon and changed how time travel worked in the first movie.
T1-T2-TGenysis-TSCC-TS
The sad thing is that everything after T2 finishes with a cliffhanger so no matter what this franchise never has a good end.

Isn't the Highlander franchise similarly confusing?
__________________
@0sdp
TMNT articles @ MiscRave.com
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
So you have tons of different continuities..

T1-T2-T3
T1-T2-T:Sarah Conner Chronicles
T1-T2-T:Salvation
T1-T2-T:Genysis (or does Genysis remake T1/2?)
T1-T2-T:untitled cameron sequel?

That's pretty confusing, I remember trying to put T3 and SCC in continuity with each other since there's a few references to T3 in the SCC show and I guess Salvation can occur in everything since it's a prequel/sequel whatever way you want to look at it and I didn't even watch Genysis so I never understood if it was supposed to override the first two movies or just ignore the rest. I haven't seen any of the movies since I was a kid basically and 3 when I was a teen but I guess I should marathon them and one day make a convoluted single timeline full of retcons to make things fit. Which is fitting since T2 the sequel everyone accepts started with a retcon and changed how time travel worked in the first movie.
T1-T2-TGenysis-TSCC-TS
The sad thing is that everything after T2 finishes with a cliffhanger so no matter what this franchise never has a good end.
The way I interpreted it...

Original timeline:
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-800 to 1984, TechCOM sends Kyle Reese to 1984

Altered Timeline 1:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-1000 to 1995, TechCOM sends a T-800 to 1995

Altered Timeline 2:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1995 - T-1000 is destroyed, T-800 is destroyed.
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - Judgement Day
2032 - SkyNET loses, sends T-X to 2004, TechCOM sends a T-850 to 2004

Altered Timeline 3:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1995 - T-1000 is destroyed, T-800 is destroyed.
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - T-X is destroyed (but not before uploading information about the future into SkyNET), T-850 is destroyed. Judgement Day
2018 - A SkyNET post is destroyed (Salvation)
2029 - SkyNET loses (but now is armed with information from the T-X from 2004), sends T-800 to the 70s and a T-1000 to 1984, TechCOM sends a T-800 to the 70s

Altered Timeline 4:
197X - Sarah Connor's parents are killed by a T-800
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, T-1000 is destroyed, Kyle Reese lives, Sarah and Kyle time-travel to 2017
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - Judgement Day does not occur
XXXX - John Connor is made into a T-3000
2017 - The T-3000 is destroyed

And... that's kind of where we're at. It all works.


Quote:
Isn't the Highlander franchise similarly confusing?
Eh, slightly... H1 and H3 happened exactly the way they appeared, except you just have to mentally retcon that no Prize was won and they aren't the last Immortals in either movie. Then they work just fine with the series and H4. H5, take it or leave it (most leave it). H2 doesn't exist, nor should it.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 01-22-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The way I interpreted it...

Original timeline:
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-800 to 1984, TechCOM sends Kyle Reese to 1984

Altered Timeline 1:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1997 - Judgement Day
2029 - SkyNET loses, sends T-1000 to 1995, TechCOM sends a T-800 to 1995

Altered Timeline 2:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1995 - T-1000 is destroyed, T-800 is destroyed.
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - Judgement Day
2032 - SkyNET loses, sends T-X to 2004, TechCOM sends a T-850 to 2004

Altered Timeline 3:
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, Kyle Reese dies
1985 - Sarah Connor gives birth to John Connor
1995 - T-1000 is destroyed, T-800 is destroyed.
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - T-X is destroyed (but not before uploading information about the future into SkyNET), T-850 is destroyed. Judgement Day
2018 - A SkyNET post is destroyed (Salvation)
2029 - SkyNET loses (but now is armed with information from the T-X from 2004), sends T-800 to the 70s and a T-1000 to 1984, TechCOM sends a T-800 to the 70s

Altered Timeline 4:
197X - Sarah Connor's parents are killed by a T-800
1984 - T-800 is destroyed, T-1000 is destroyed, Kyle Reese lives, Sarah and Kyle time-travel to 2017
1997 - Judgement Day does not occur
2004 - Judgement Day does not occur
XXXX - John Connor is made into a T-3000
2017 - The T-3000 is destroyed

And... that's kind of where we're at. It all works.




Eh, slightly... H1 and H3 happened exactly the way they appeared, except you just have to mentally retcon that no Prize was won and they aren't the last Immortals in either movie. Then they work just fine with the series and H4. H5, take it or leave it (most leave it). H2 doesn't exist, nor should it.
Hopefully T6 takes place after Genisys, There was that mid credit scene that showed Skynet survived.

__________________

Last edited by TigerClaw; 01-22-2017 at 06:26 PM.
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Hopefully T6 takes place after Genisys, There was that mid credit scene that showed that Skynet survived.

Cameron isn't making a sequel to Genisys (why did they spell it this way?) if this movie ever gets made. More than likely he ignores everything that was made after T2.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
Shark_Blade
Prince Elias Acorn
 
Shark_Blade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,181
I only care about the first 2, the rest is garbage.
__________________

Sonic joined IDW Publishing - possible crossover with TMNT in the future?
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #13
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger
 
TigerClaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hialeah, Florida, USA
Posts: 10,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
Cameron isn't making a sequel to Genisys (why did they spell it this way?) if this movie ever gets made. More than likely he ignores everything that was made after T2.
Cameron actually liked Genisys.
__________________
TigerClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache
 
TheSkeletonMan939's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Over there
Posts: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
(why did they spell it this way?)
I guess to give the title a slick edge? You really can't use logic to deduce these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Cameron actually liked Genisys.
He liked the money he got for saying he liked it. It probably was at least a little interesting for him to see a different filmmaker remake his exact shots, though.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda_Kahn_fan View Post
IDW took the OT straw and spun it into gold, while Platinum Dunes took the OT straw and spun it into manure.
TheSkeletonMan939 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #15
NinjaPug
Foot Elite
 
NinjaPug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Cameron actually liked Genisys.
No he didn't. He said the same thing about T3 or TS before it came out only to later say he hated it but didn't want to hurt its box office.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #16
Coola Yagami
Emperor
 
Coola Yagami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,488
I just saw the title and the first thing that came to mind was 'because of course he is'.
__________________
http://markandpaigerodriguez.blogspot.com/ Our blog on random stuff from TMNT to Batman comics to whatever else hits our mind. Also a member of the Heroes in a Halfact Podcast series.
our video game review Youtube channel.
http://www.youtube.com/user/VideoGameMasters09
v=ufYzGoquORs[/url]
Coola Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:52 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 11,730
Probably, like Genisys did with T4, it won't directly continue anything from T4 or Genisys, but it won't openly contradict them either.

I would've loved to have seen an all-out Future War movie, with Arnold, Robert Patrick, Kristanna Loken all playing human TechCOM soldiers... a Dirty Dozen-style mission to stop SkyNET. They win, but SkyNET appropriates their likeness for Terminators.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 AM   #18
chrisdude
Foot Elite
 
chrisdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,707
Any of the first three movies would've been a fine place to stop. T3 may have been pointless, but at least he didn't begin a new arc. Honestly, I think they would've been better off never making a sequel. It's made less since every time. I'd rather he do a remake. There's nothing else in this universe I want to see.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:38 AM   #19
CyberCubed
Overlord
 
CyberCubed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 32,176
Hollywood really needs to stop making sequels and remakes to movies from nearly 30 years ago now. Let the 80's and 90's remain as they were.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:10 AM   #20
Cure
Y'all need Jesus
 
Cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 8,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Let the 80's and 90's remain as they were.
They are remaining as they were, numbskull. No one is going back and altering things.
__________________
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cuckinator

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.