The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Did Peter get a bad deal with Nickelodeon?
Yeah, bad deal. 4 23.53%
He got a good deal. 7 41.18%
I don't have enough information to say. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2018, 09:58 AM   #61
sdp
-

I had no idea Pokemon was bigger than Star Wars, wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
I had no idea Power Rangers has been airing new episodes consistently for 20+ years. I guess it does make sense.
Me neither, but I found out back in 2005 What's best is that it's all in continuity and we get past rangers that come back from time to time.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #62
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Pokemon has grossed more revenue than Star Wars worldwide and that's in half the time since Pokemon didn't come out till 1996 whereas Star Wars came out in 1977 over 20 years before.
That makes me happy.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:00 PM   #63
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't see why people are surprised. Prior to the Disney Star Wars movies, Star Wars was basically just 6 movies and comic books and novels and toys. And the prequel movies didn't come out for 15+ years after the originals.

Every mainline pokemon game averages 15-16 million copies at the minimum, the anime has aired continuously for over 20+ years, and all the tie in stuff like the TCG, merch, toys, plushes and spinoff games adds to this. It's pretty funny people think Pokemon is some fad that died out in the early 2000's, whereas it's remained tremendously popular for over 20+ years.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 12:07 PM   #64
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
I don't see why people are surprised. Prior to the Disney Star Wars movies, Star Wars was basically just 6 movies and comic books and novels and toys. And the prequel movies didn't come out for 15+ years after the originals.

Every mainline pokemon game averages 15-16 million copies at the minimum, the anime has aired continuously for over 20+ years, and all the tie in stuff like the TCG, merch, toys, plushes and spinoff games adds to this. It's pretty funny people think Pokemon is some fad that died out in the early 2000's, whereas it's remained tremendously popular for over 20+ years.
Actually, I think Star Wars grew more as a franchise when the prequels came out. That's when it became a bigger marketing juggernaut. You're giving Disney too much credit. I remember a lot of Star Wars related stuff coming out in the previous decade. Including a cartoon about the Clone Wars on Cartoon Network. And ofc video games such as KOTOR. But tbh there were already Star Wars video games in the 90s.

I had no idea pokémon made more money than SW. Never even had thought about it. But it doesn't really matter, anyway. Both are juggernauts of pop culture.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:02 PM   #65
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I'd say tmnt nowdays is comparable to Transformers in terms of Hasbro properties while Mlp is a mini-spongebob of sorts by being Hasbro's biggest cash cow.
Wasn't the MLP movie from last year successful?

Quote:
Bottom line is even Lucas knew when enough was enough and didn't put out Star Wars films year after year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPliggins View Post
I had no idea Power Rangers has been airing new episodes consistently for 20+ years. I guess it does make sense.
Not consistently. For a couple of years Saban threw in the towel because he saw sense.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #66
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
Wasn't the MLP movie from last year successful?
Not remotely. It lost about 50 million dollars.

The cost:
120 million dollar production budget
20 million dollar marketing budget (best guess, probably more)
140 cost, total

What it made:
85 million domestically -- which comes to about 60 million after theater takes
57 internationally -- which comes to 28.5 or less, since international BO means only half or less profit to the studio
Grand total gross profit: 142 million total
Grand total net profit: -51.50 million
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #67
sdp
-

Another thing to note about Power Rangers is that unlike TMNT, DC, Marvel or other western franchises it continues to evolve. Since they are bound by Sentai and the Japanese are not as big on rebooting characters and prefer legacy they have to change the team almost every year. for the past 25 years.

You don't have different versions of Batman, you literally have new Red rangers with different powers and origins that tell their story and pass the torch to the next set of characters. How many of us would love to see our favorite heroes grow old and not just some elseworld tale that isn't canon.

Quote:
Not consistently. For a couple of years Saban threw in the towel because he saw sense.
What do you mean? When Saban sold Power Rangers the first time? He did so to become a billionaire, he sold his entire assets of Fox Kids and everything else. Once he bought the franchise back from Disney (At a discount) he never stopped making shows.

Even Disney when they cancelled the show they still had "new" episodes with the "new" 2.0 remix of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers before the Saban deal and now with Hasbro acquiring we'll have a new season in 2019 right after the current season finishes airing later this year.

So yeah, it's been continiously on the air with new episodes and if you don't count the 2.0 remaster of MMPR then it was only one year off and that was Disney not Saban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post

The cost:
140 cost, total

What it made:
57 internationally -- which comes to 28.5 or less, since international BO means only half or less profit to the studio
That doesn't tell the whole picture though, what about all the money they made from licensing, toy sales, future rentals etc. Besides those are all estimates that could be completely wrong, they could've easily have made/lost more (or less).

I'm not trying to argue that MLP the movie wasn't a bomb, I'm just saying that there are other revenues/variables not considered in that post. I remember reading that the only reason they made Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun Li was because of all the money they kept making off the original live action movie that kept being re-broadcast years later.

Of course making a huge investment like that they want to make sure they make a BIG profit or they won't bother again, but I do know Hasbro had been extremely happy with MLP:FiM, it's just been many years since it originally came out so it's no longer "it" like it used to be.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:49 PM   #68
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:

The cost:
140 cost, total

What it made:
Are we talking about the same movie here? All of your numbers seem way off.

My Little Pony: The Movie had a movie budget of almost $30 million, (everything including marketing) and grossed $60 million in total, backed by strong toy and DVD sales.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 05-10-2018 at 05:58 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #69
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
When Saban sold Power Rangers the first time? He did so to become a billionaire, he sold his entire assets of Fox Kids and everything else. Once he bought the franchise back from Disney (At a discount) he never stopped making shows.
Wow, you're right. I remember it was the second time and it being all over the news that Power Rangers had finally been cancelled. But yeah you're actually right, it was still on every year.

Quote:

My Little Pony: The Movie had a movie budget of almost $30 million, (everything including marketing) and grossed $60 million in total, backed by strong toy and DVD sales.
30 million? Where did you get that amount? I saw this:

"Firstly, the budget for this film was tiny. Hasbro has declined to release any figures, but based on wide-ranging data for similar films – and the fact that it was financed in-house by Hasbro – it looks like a $5-8 million production. For comparison, The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature opened with almost the same amount yet that film cost $40M to produce."

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-offi...ce-153918.html

The writer however could be wrong.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:23 PM   #70
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Yeah, same movie. And weird.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movie/Po...7)#tab=summary
Old 05-18-2018, 05:05 PM   #71
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Andrew I thought he was talking about My Little Pony: The Movie?
Old 05-18-2018, 05:59 PM   #72
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Andrew I thought he was talking about My Little Pony: The Movie?
Looks like we were talking about a different movie after all

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:02 PM   #73
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
30 million? Where did you get that amount? I saw this:

"Firstly, the budget for this film was tiny. Hasbro has declined to release any figures, but based on wide-ranging data for similar films – and the fact that it was financed in-house by Hasbro – it looks like a $5-8 million production. For comparison, The Nut Job 2: Nutty by Nature opened with almost the same amount yet that film cost $40M to produce."

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-offi...ce-153918.html

The writer however could be wrong.
The animation made up about 5-8 million but the rest of the costs such as marketing added to the $30 million total.

There was an insider source of from Hasbro revealing this upon the movie's launch, and I remember seeing it myself, but I'm not motivated enough to search for it again

Old 05-24-2018, 03:10 PM   #74
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Looks like we were talking about a different movie after all
That explains it!

Quote:
The animation made up about 5-8 million but the rest of the costs such as marketing added to the $30 million total.
Ah that makes sense now.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #75
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That explains it!

Ah that makes sense now.
Oh. Indeed we were... my bad.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM   #77
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Time's up for Saban Brands, it will close on July 2nd

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/05/2...y-2-2018-53099
Ok, yeah... That explains a lot.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #78
sdp
-

Not really, they're closing since saban brands sold all their brands. Had the deal not gone through it'd still exist regardless.

Also I would not be a family of Power Rangers shared universe with Hasbro. But that's just me
Old 05-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #79
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Time's up for Saban Brands, it will close on July 2nd

http://news.tokunation.com/2018/05/2...y-2-2018-53099
Apologies for asking an obvious question but what will Haim Saban's involvement in Power Rangers be now? Is he stepping back?