The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 09-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #61
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I'd be wary of bears, but I would be more afraid of snakes than anything else because sometimes you don't know if they're venomous or not. At least with a bear, you know what it can do and prevent it at all costs. I've always heard if you've spotted a bear, make yourself look big.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #62
MsMarvelDuckie
I know Quack-Fu

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Thing is, if you see a snake you only need to know one of two things. First is head shape. If it is spade(triangle) shaped head, it is a viper (ie rattler copperhead or moccassin in US) and therefore venomous. If not, look for the "red touch yellow" if it is banded. If it DOES("red touch yellow kill a fellow") then it is a coral snake which is venomous(and incidentally in the same family as cobras) if not it is a king or milk snake. Anything else you dont need to worry about. Of course if the first thing you see or hear is a bony bunch of knobs on the tail tip or a dry buzzing rattle sound, GTFO!!

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics (including TMNT!!) are here:

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_C...?showforum=188
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:06 PM   #63
TurtleWA
Mad Scientist

I know someone that recently got Lyme disease from one day in the woods of Pennsylvania. Their experience so far sounds miserable. I would be more concerned about Lyme disease, zika and west nile over being super stressed about bears.

Spoiler:
And don't forget about Sasquatch
TurtleWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #64
Lisardo
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Don't most bear encounters happen because people aren't careful with their own food, not because bears view people as walking steaks?
Yeah, that's what I was saying earlier. I mean bears could smell cooking food and attack campers/a campground (like in one of the articles Andrew linked where a bear attacked a campground), but again it's VERY rare a bear would be that bold!!! And yes, usually animals get attracted when food is left out, but usually the only thing you're gonna attract is annoying raccoons or squirrels!

And now we're talking about snakes and ticks, What's funny is I picked up a snake at my campsite, though I knew it was a harmless garter snake. Again my attitude is if you're that afraid of going out into the woods, why not just go shoot yourself right now! I mean, there's risks in anything in life but take it from me, I consider myself pretty much an expert level camper here, who goes fairly frequently, and in all the MANY times I've camped (tent camped mind you), I've never been in any real danger, and that's also because I'm cautious about what I do and where I store food. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, and if there's bear storage closets at your campground, take extra care where you store your food. But you'll be fine! TRUST ME! Also, the one or two times we went backpacking, you had to register at a local ranger station and you had to rent one of their bear canisters (required) so that all your food and scented toiletries the bears wouldn't smell (esp. since you don't have your car to store it in). And you had to keep the bear canister about 50 feet away from your campsite. That's just a precaution, but again it's for deep woods, wilderness camping. Your typical campground it's doubtful you're gonna run into bears.

Last edited by Lisardo; 09-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Lisardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #65
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Thing is, if you see a snake you only need to know one of two things. First is head shape. If it is spade(triangle) shaped head, it is a viper (ie rattler copperhead or moccassin in US) and therefore venomous. If not, look for the "red touch yellow" if it is banded. If it DOES("red touch yellow kill a fellow") then it is a coral snake which is venomous(and incidentally in the same family as cobras) if not it is a king or milk snake. Anything else you dont need to worry about. Of course if the first thing you see or hear is a bony bunch of knobs on the tail tip or a dry buzzing rattle sound, GTFO!!
That's very good advice, Duckie. But I'm the type to just get out no matter what kind of snake it is because I'm terrified of them.

Only times we camped were in Disney World and Cedar Point. We also camped at a place called Broken Arrow in Winamac, IN.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote