The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 12-07-2017, 01:44 PM   #201
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw View Post
Details On Jean Grey's X-MEN: DARK PHOENIX Transformation Point To Simon Kinberg Making Old Mistakes
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/x-men...stakes-a156134
lol... so all this talk of "they're going to space! They're finally going to space!" just equates to a single scene of the X-Men taking a shuttle up to grab a few astronauts and then heading back down?

Can't wait until next week's news.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:49 PM   #202
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
lol... so all this talk of "they're going to space! They're finally going to space!" just equates to a single scene of the X-Men taking a shuttle up to grab a few astronauts and then heading back down?

Can't wait until next week's news.
I remember reading about how Simon Kinberg didn't wanted this movie to be grounded, and not too intergalactic.
https://www.cosmicbooknews.com/bad-n...t-going-cosmic
Old 12-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #203
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

I wonder if this will even hit theatres now. Disney might just opt to put it on their streaming service.
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:19 PM   #204
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krutch View Post
I wonder if this will even hit theatres now. Disney might just opt to put it on their streaming service.
I very much doubt they'll take a movie made for theaters and make it a "made for TV" movie.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:00 PM   #205
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Quote:
This was my original thought until I read that it's illegal for Disney and Fox to communicate on their operations during the approval process. No way the deal closes in time for Disney to be able to pull the plug on release. Same reason why Gambit is still going into production shortly.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #206
CyberCubed
Overlord

This movie is almost done. I can understand a movie early in development without anything being filmed like Gambit being canceled, but why would they shut down a nearly completed movie even if they could?

Makes no sense and just sours relations with all parties involved.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #207
sdp
-

Disney shelved the finished Star Wars Detour CG cartoon because they didn't want to make fun of it, they can shelf a movie if they want, they don't need it. I do think this will be the last film though and they'll make a point that this continuity is done.

A more grounded Dark Phoenix saga? Wasn't that what X-Men 3 was? They need to go full sci-fi on this, Fox has already done everything else with the X-Men, in fact that's the saddest thing about the sale, they were about to go to uncharted territories and new things like space and now that they're with Disney we might have to go all the way back to basics.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #208
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The funny part is, remember how they were angling "Dark Phoenix" as "Dark Phoenix, Part 1" and "Dark Phoenix, Part 2"? You can certainly kiss Part 2 goodbye.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/170...than-one-movie

https://screenrant.com/x-men-dark-ph...unn-two-parts/

Basically, good, bad, sucky or awesome... we'll never, ever get more than the first half of the story, if that.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:15 PM   #209
Krutch
Like, stupid rich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
This was my original thought until I read that it's illegal for Disney and Fox to communicate on their operations during the approval process. No way the deal closes in time for Disney to be able to pull the plug on release. Same reason why Gambit is still going into production shortly.
Ah, I haven't bothered to keep up with the details. Fair enough.

Quote:
For someone whose admittedly unfamiliar with the comics and has no strong nostalgic value attached to the property you're bizarrely passionate about your hatred of the X-Men movies, Andrew. It's amusing, but seriously, why is that?
Still waiting on that answer, hombre
Krutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #210
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Ah, I haven't bothered to keep up with the details. Fair enough.

Still waiting on that answer, hombre
Oh, I didn't see that. No, no super nostalgic attachment to the X-Men, but I did watch almost all of the cartoon. As a kid I almost undoubtedly watched more of it than I did the Fred Wolf TMNT show. Also, I did pick up several comics growing up. I picked up "Fatal Attractions," where Wolverine gets his adamantium ripped out. I picked up the whole "Age of Apocalypse" storyline and resulting craziness. Some of "Onslaught." "Weapon X." "Origin."

X1 was one thing. I'll grant that it was probably the very best movie it could be at the time it was made and it even kicked open some doors that may have otherwise remained shut a little bit longer for other CBMs. After that, though? Just a sad string of very tiny comic book movies that were ashamed as all hell that they were comic book movies, from (primarily) a director so adamantly against their source material that he would literally ban them from the set.

X-Men movies have a ton of potential. They always have. Arguably bigger than any franchise, bigger than Superman, bigger than Batman. A generational, ongoing legacy story with scores of super cool mutants with unique powers, giant Sentinels swooping around scooping them out of their homes, aliens and alien worlds as commonplace things and adventures, mutant supervillains causing all kinds of havok within the world, spaceships, other worlds, time, and some of the best, most iconic love stories ever seen in comics (Jean and Scott, Rogue and Gambit, etc.).

Singer? The bar was set at, you know... c'mon, folks, everyone get excited at Wolverine skirmishing with some faceless goons in Xavier Mansion! Bah. Now Wolverine is fighting a mutant we're not even afforded any backstory on (Lady Deathstrike, a really cool character from the comics!) in a dam. Wow, that's great. A Cyclops-Jean Grey love story that already happened before the movies even began, with some love triangle tension with Wolverine that doesn't actually get to go anywhere. Magneto as the villain with the same plot every time out. Every. Time. Out. Tons of characters thrown on the screen but never developed even one iota (hell, I was even a little bit... I won't say excited, but interested to see something finally made of Jubilee in "Apocalypse," and Psylocke... yeesh, what an embarrassment), often times conflicting with the other times they were thrown on the screen. Singer: "Oh, did you guys like that Quicksilver running sequence from DofP that was completely divorced from the rest of the movie? I can totally do that again in Apocalypse." I could go on and on.

It's a hot, short-sighted mess. There was hope with where Matthew Vaughn was going to take things beyond First Class before Singer grabbed it away from him with his (allegedly) rapey little hands. Now there is hope again.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #211
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

A new photo debuted about a month ago.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/12/...eaten-magneto/

Also, Hans Zimmer will be doing the score for the film.

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/01/...x-hans-zimmer/
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #212
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Well that retirement from superhero scoring did'nt last long
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #213
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
Also, Hans Zimmer will be doing the score for the film.
Well, firing Ottman isn't the worst decision ever.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #214
AquaParade
Banned

This is the first piece of news that has actively got me interested in the movie. Not that I only care about the score, but there just wasn't enough pulling me in before.

I just rewatched The Dark Knight last night, and Zimmer's score is very tense, tasteful, well done.
And good lord, that movie is still completely captivating. One of the rare movies I can watch without picking up my phone or getting distracted.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #215
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

I might not watch the movie, but I'll definitely download the soundtrack!
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 PM   #216
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I still find myself watching the "Dark Knight Rises" Nokia trailer every now and again, if only for the selection of Zimmer's score within and how it's used. It's fantastic.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #217
TheSkeletonMan939
A New Day, A New Headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Well, firing Ottman isn't the worst decision ever.
Ottman is a capable composer, but DoFP and Apocalypse would have you think differently -- they're not very good at all. Give him permission to write a full-blooded orchestral score, though, and he'll do a great job -- Fox execs seem petrified of going that route unfortunately.
Ottman probably was never going to get the job anyway, as he's Singer's favorite (who of course is nowhere to be found these days, though I hope Ottman's career doesn't suffer for that).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Well that retirement from superhero scoring did'nt last long
You have to understand that a lot of these Zimmer scores - not all, but a lot - have swaths of material not directly written by Zimmer. Zimmer enjoys finding young, talented guys and giving them jobs -- big-budget jobs -- that they otherwise wouldn't have in a million years. Amazing Spider-Man 2, for instance, was him just jamming out with some buddies. Blade Runner 2049 featured more music by Ben Wallfisch than Zimmer. So when he takes jobs like this it isn't for him. He gets blanket credit but in reality he will take the role of overseer - write some themes and maybe the bigger action cues - while others do some of the nitty-gritty stuff. On PotC 3 he had at least 8 people writing additional material, some of whom in the decade since have their own careers established now.

Then later music execs can look through the cue sheet or whatever and see that, hmm, a guy named Henry Jackman worked on this good one, and this one here... maybe he can handle the responsibility of a full movie while emulating Zimmer's style. That's exactly how Junkie XL got the Justice League job (before you-know-what happened).

Last edited by TheSkeletonMan939; 01-25-2018 at 12:40 PM.
TheSkeletonMan939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:23 AM   #218
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Rose Byne won't be returning as Moira MacTaggert this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Byne
Unfortunately, Moira is not showing up. I wish she was. I had such fun on X-Men: Apocalypse. I love that cast. It is a really fun, what do you call it? Superhero film… ensemble exactly. I can’t wait to see what [Jessica Chastain] does, ’cause I’m such a fan.
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...n-dark-phoenix
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 11:53 PM   #219
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

http://www.darkhorizons.com/more-sev...ays-for-x-men/

Delayed until February 14th 2019.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #220
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

Allows more time for the Disney acquisition to be completed and for this to be removed from theaters altogether. I still think this never hits theaters and gets thrown on Hulu or Disney's new streaming service next year. Same with New Mutants.

I'm sure Feige won't want a non-MCU movie with skrulls coming out less than a month before a MCU movie with Skrulls does.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote