The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #21
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

To be fair, I can see how things would stagnate for the one hundred years that the Fire Nation had control. And the advancements that the Fire Nation did make were during the reign of Sozin, or maybe even Azulon, but not beforehand. Other than that, we don't really see a lot of what the tech was like for Avatar Kyoshi and her predecessors. Then there's the engineers that did little things in order to combat the Fire Nation.

So, much like the post-WWII efforts of Allied and Axis force engineers putting their heads together for introducing their tech to the public, it makes sense that the Earth Kingdom engineers and Fire Nation engineers would be the key players in creating the tech that Korra has. And what a tech boom it was after years of stagnation!
Old 10-17-2017, 07:58 AM   #22
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
When did they give those dates officially?

Also that doesn't mirror our world at all, by the 1920s steam power had been available for centuries.
I'm confused, has anyone said that they didn't have steam power prior to Korra?

I think what they have in Korra that they don't have in Aang's thaw time is reliable electricity, not steam power. Most of the Fire Nation's heavy machinery in Avatar is run on steam. Or at least it appeared that way to me. Their floating metal jail for the Earth Kingdom is run on coal.

I'm still looking for the direct quote, but I'm fairly certain Koneitzko said it at the SDCC where they announced Korra. Also that the Track Team, the folks who provide the music, were making the sound track as if Jazz had been invented in Mainland China.

So hence the 1920s.
Which I think makes it a bit out of date for Steampunk.

Quote:
Read my post again.

The 1920s isn't steam punk. The original show implies that it stays mostly the same as in other fantasy media based on how long life has been like that. Obviously there's going to be some anachronism.
Does it though?
And if so, when?
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:23 AM   #23
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There´s a difference between having steam power and being a steam punk setting, different suspension of disbelief there since I mentioned there´s always going to be some sort of anachronism in stories like these.

You need not find the quote, I don´t doubt you at all that they mentioned something of the like since it´s clear that starting with Korra they intended to have technological advancements, this whole discussion started because of my dislike of this.

But the original show definitely implies to be those settings that you don´t worry about future tech and innovation, not that progress doesn´t happen, look at The Legend of Zelda, centuries pass between stories and things are mostly the same with steam power being used in only one game and most recently BOTW having some robot like creatures that still work in a fantasy setting. We can debate for hours whether eventually you´d have gas powered cars in Zelda since that´s not what they intend with the universe. With Avatar they also talk about ancient stuff like that which happened for centuries and even if we mostly see things in the same settings as TLA is, so at least at the time of TLA the setting did seem like a fantasy setting that you don´t expect time to pass which I like and you can retcon it all in Korra but that was not the original intention. It is the reason I didn´t like that aspect of Korra.

But enough about that, the point in my post always was I love Avatar and need to check out Korra, I hope I love it, and yes the franchise will always be Avatar to me even if Viacom gave it up to James Cameron.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #24
plastroncafe

My point wasn't to yuck your yum.
I just think it's interesting that to you Avatar is a Timeless Universe, when the entire point of the first three seasons is time related.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:22 AM   #25
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

They "retconned" time passing in Korra. Hahaha, oh my God.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 12:57 PM   #26
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Some of these posts remind me why the fanbase scared me away from getting into this franchise...

But I am about four episodes into Korra and still like it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #27
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Some of these posts remind me why the fanbase scared me away from getting into this franchise...

But I am about four episodes into Korra and still like it so far.
The fanbase is INTENSE.
Not quite Harry Potter level, but certainly a close second.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2017, 01:35 PM   #28
CyberCubed
Overlord

Nah, the Pokemon fandom is far worse. It's filled with a bunch of entitled manchildren who are upset the franchise now is so different than it was in 1998. A bunch of morons who can't comprehend a franchise going on for 20 years isn't going to be the same as when they were kids.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:25 PM   #29
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Nah, the Pokemon fandom is far worse. It's filled with a bunch of entitled manchildren who are upset the franchise now is so different than it was in 1998. A bunch of morons who can't comprehend a franchise going on for 20 years isn't going to be the same as when they were kids.
I doubt those people even exist outside of memes. Any people who don't care too much for the new stuff are usually just content with playing the original games in my experience.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #30
Allio
Foot Elite

Yeah, now aday you mainly just play the games or read the mangas
Old 10-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #31
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Every fandom is the worst.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #32
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I don't understand what's so "out there" in expecting a fantasy show that implies tech has been like that forever to stay like that for the immediate sequel.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #33
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
If I knew how to cross-stitch I'd put this in a sampler.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-17-2017, 02:52 PM   #34
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
Words to live by.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:06 PM   #35
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I doubt those people even exist outside of memes. Any people who don't care too much for the new stuff are usually just content with playing the original games in my experience.
They do exist on forums and tumblrs. Like it's ok to lose interest in a franchise or not care about newer stuff. But it's the people who go on mindless hating things for no reason and troll forums or people who like it that's the problem.

Although you're right, every long running franchise has people like this.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #36
sdp
Megan Fox = April

There's different levels of annoying fanbases though, you can't compare the Rick and Morty fandom who reached brony status rather quickly with the Jurassic Park fandom who only complain about T-Rex vs Spinosaurus
Old 10-17-2017, 03:51 PM   #37
PApagreg
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I don't understand what's so "out there" in expecting a fantasy show that implies tech has been like that forever to stay like that for the immediate sequel.
Because even in the Last airbender we saw tech advance, we saw the giant drill, zeppelins, submarines, and jet skis so going by all of those things the audience should get a clue that this isn't going to be like LOTR or Zelda where 70 years means no progress. Hell the 1st episode should've tipped you off that they weren't going to do that concept when Zuko showed up in a steam boat.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:59 PM   #38
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

On a side note, I really hate static settings like those mentioned where years and years pass and nothing really changes. That's not how real life works. Now, if there's a fitting, in-universe explanation for why things never change, that's a different story.
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avatar, avatar the last airbender, legend of korra, nickelodeon