The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 08-19-2019, 09:40 PM   #101
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey0 View Post
The arms and legs. Everything is on point.

How will the NECA and all of these non-Playmates Toys be cataloged online before 2078?
What happens in 2078?
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #102
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane E5R View Post
Probably not by your standards, I guess. I think you’re nitpicky, and pretty much outright wrong. But whatevs.
Pretty much outright wrong? Have you seen the turtles’ sculpts for the NECA Target 2 packs? The NECA arcade turtles are closer to their source than the Target 2 pack turtles are. The bodies of the NECA arcade turtles were fine as they were, NECA did not need to retool them for the Target 2 pack line. Only thing NECA would have to change for the first wave of the Target 2 packs would be the head sculpts.

The 2008 Mirage Comics figures, 1990 movie figures, and the 1989 arcade game figures were all great, but NECA did not do a good job with the Target 2 packs. The Target 2 packs has been the downfall for NECA Turtles toys so far. Krang and the Foot Soldiers are the only great Target 2 pack figures. Shredder is too buff and the black painted lines and facial expressions on the turtles are all awful. Shellheads will most likely dismiss everything I said in the sentence before this one because the Target 2 packs are impulse buy collector’s items, but NECA really dropped the ball with the Target 2 packs.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:52 PM   #103
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyT View Post
What happens in 2078?
Nothing. I was using that as a marker because it’s closer on the timeline to the next century than 2028 is. More decades of the 21st century will have passed by before 2078 comes around.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:58 PM   #104
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Nothing. I was using that as a marker because it’s closer on the timeline to the next century than 2028 is. More decades of the 21st century will have passed by before 2078 comes around.
I don’t understand the relevance or point.

Also, the same tooling was used for both releases. I think you’re reacting to what is called shrinkage.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #105
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Pretty much outright wrong? Have you seen the turtles’ sculpts for the NECA Target 2 packs? The NECA arcade turtles are closer to their source than the Target 2 pack turtles are. The bodies of the NECA arcade turtles were fine as they were, NECA did not need to retool them for the Target 2 pack line. Only thing NECA would have to change for the first wave of the Target 2 packs would be the head sculpts.

The 2008 Mirage Comics figures, 1990 movie figures, and the 1989 arcade game figures were all great, but NECA did not do a good job with the Target 2 packs. The Target 2 packs has been the downfall for NECA Turtles toys so far. Krang and the Foot Soldiers are the only great Target 2 pack figures. Shredder is too buff and the black painted lines and facial expressions on the turtles are all awful. Shellheads will most likely dismiss everything I said in the sentence before this one because the Target 2 packs are impulse buy collector’s items, but NECA really dropped the ball with the Target 2 packs.
I own the SDCC collectors case pack. As far as I know, the same figures are in the Target 2 packs- and they are things of beauty. The attention to detail is outstanding- particularly the color choices with the paint.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:37 PM   #106
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:

Also, the same tooling was used for both releases. I think you’re reacting to what is called shrinkage.
You’re not looking hard enough at the black painted lines on the Target 2 pack figures. There is deep cut lines on the Target 2 pack turtles that were highlighted with black paint like NECA did with the 2008 Mirage Comics turtles. The NECA 1989 arcade turtles do not have those.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:52 PM   #107
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
I own the SDCC collectors case pack. As far as I know, the same figures are in the Target 2 packs- and they are things of beauty. The attention to detail is outstanding- particularly the color choices with the paint.
The SDCC collectors case packs are heaps better than the 1993 Playmates Toys Toon Turtles offering, but that’s not saying much.

The NECA Target 2 pack turtles would have been better if NECA actually watched episodes of the 1987 FW cartoon and took different screen grabs of the turtles. The deep line cuts, painted on black lines, and bottom row teeth should not be on any toy representation of FW toon turtles. A new head sculpt with a line for Donatello’s mouth would have been better than a direct repaint of the arcade Donatello. The NECA 2017 SDCC TMNT Collectors Case figures were rushed. The 2017 SDCC collectors case, alone, does not do anything for the figures inside. Was the collectors case supposed to remind children of the 80s and 90s of the collectors cases from the late 80s and early 90s? The art does not remind me of anything Turtles from that time.

The NECA Turtles stuff based off of the FW cartoon from 2017 to this year has been tacky and drab. The ‘08 comic book figures, ‘16 arcade figure, ‘17 movie figures, and ‘19 movie figures are where NECA should have stopped. I feel like the rest of the Target 2 pack figures will be a massive disappointment.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:55 PM   #108
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
There will be so many TMNT toy lines made for collectors and hobbyists in this century that it will be difficult to find the one you want in certain online guides and retailers.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:06 AM   #109
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
You’re not looking hard enough at the black painted lines on the Target 2 pack figures. There is deep cut lines on the Target 2 pack turtles that were highlighted with black paint like NECA did with the 2008 Mirage Comics turtles. The NECA 1989 arcade turtles do not have those.
Can you support your argument with photos? This is far from clear.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:16 AM   #110
Dane E5R
Mad Scientist

Quote:
The SDCC collectors case packs are heaps better than the 1993 Playmates Toys Toon Turtles offering, but that’s not saying much.

The NECA Target 2 pack turtles would have been better if NECA actually watched episodes of the 1987 FW cartoon and took different screen grabs of the turtles. The deep line cuts, painted on black lines, and bottom row teeth should not be on any toy representation of FW toon turtles. A new head sculpt with a line for Donatello’s mouth would have been better than a direct repaint of the arcade Donatello. The NECA 2017 SDCC TMNT Collectors Case figures were rushed. The 2017 SDCC collectors case, alone, does not do anything for the figures inside. Was the collectors case supposed to remind children of the 80s and 90s of the collectors cases from the late 80s and early 90s? The art does not remind me of anything Turtles from that time.

The NECA Turtles stuff based off of the FW cartoon from 2017 to this year has been tacky and drab. The ‘08 comic book figures, ‘16 arcade figure, ‘17 movie figures, and ‘19 movie figures are where NECA should have stopped. I feel like the rest of the Target 2 pack figures will be a massive disappointment.
You’re a crazy person. Take care.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:07 AM   #111
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
Was the collectors case supposed to remind children of the 80s and 90s of the collectors cases from the late 80s and early 90s? The art does not remind me of anything Turtles from that time.

It's original art by Ken Mitchroney.
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:39 AM   #112
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
You’re a crazy person. Take care.
Play nice.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #113
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Can you support your argument with photos? This is far from clear.
NECA Comic book turtles:

Target 2 Pack turtles:

Old 08-20-2019, 07:49 AM   #114
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
http://replygif.net/i/249.gif

It's original art by Ken Mitchroney.
Who is Ken Mitchroney to children of the 80s and 90s?
Old 08-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #115
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
every post
It's great to be passionate about a hobby but I think you take it to extreme levels that I've never seen before. I agree that the Target 2-pack turtles fall short but that doesn't mean they're not fun figures or that they don't make me happy to have in my collection. And besides, if they were perfect we'd never need to buy any other turtle figures. That sounds boring!

Anyway, back on topic... I agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread. I was super pumped to see these but now that I have I think they stayed too close to the source material for three of the four figures. Splinter, Baxter, and the foot solder could be easily mistaken for the vintage figures at a glance. Yes, it's great to have new accessories and modern articulation but... for $45 apiece I'm not sure I care enough to buy any. And the Raph... I dunno, he just looks weird to me. He's reads more like a reinterpretation than any specific 80s/90s iteration.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 AM   #116
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
It's great to be passionate about a hobby but I think you take it to extreme levels that I've never seen before. I agree that the Target 2-pack turtles fall short but that doesn't mean they're not fun figures or that they don't make me happy to have in my collection. And besides, if they were perfect we'd never need to buy any other turtle figures. That sounds boring!

Anyway, back on topic... I agree with what someone else said earlier in this thread. I was super pumped to see these but now that I have I think they stayed too close to the source material for three of the four figures. Splinter, Baxter, and the foot solder could be easily mistaken for the vintage figures at a glance. Yes, it's great to have new accessories and modern articulation but... for $45 apiece I'm not sure I care enough to buy any. And the Raph... I dunno, he just looks weird to me. He's reads more like a reinterpretation than any specific 80s/90s iteration.
I take it to extreme levels because I am not a Turtles fan, but a toy industry observer. I understand that Turtles fans like to suspend reality and buy anything with Turtles on like any fan of a property does, but the ‘08 comic book, ‘16 arcade game, and ‘19 Target 2 pack figures are by the same company who made the ‘17 1/4 scale first Jim Henson movie Turtles toys. From the eyes of a toy industry observer, these Target 2 pack collectibles should have been made better.

Only Raphael, Splinter, and Baxter Stockman could be mistaken for 7 inch versions of the vintage figures. The Ultimate Foot Soldier is nothing like the 1988 Foot Soldier with the exception being the weapon rack, but’s it.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:08 AM   #117
Lordmylar06
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Who is Ken Mitchroney to children of the 80s and 90s?
He's one of the main artists on the TMNT Adventures comics. Personally one of my favorite TMNT artists.
Lordmylar06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #118
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I take it to extreme levels because I am not a Turtles fan, but a toy industry observer. I understand that Turtles fans like to suspend reality and buy anything with Turtles on like any fan of a property does, but the ‘08 comic book, ‘16 arcade game, and ‘19 Target 2 pack figures are by the same company who made the ‘17 1/4 scale first Jim Henson movie Turtles toys. From the eyes of a toy industry observer, these Target 2 pack collectibles should have been made better.
A toy industry observer should know that any toy company is going to milk a mold/sculpt as much as they possibly can before moving on to a "new & improved!" version to get as much collector money as possible. The Target 2-packs were mostly repaints of what had already been released twice before, and they're releasing them again in a future wave with new paint. Welcome to the modern toy industry.

Quote:
Only Raphael, Splinter, and Baxter Stockman could be mistaken for 7 inch versions of the vintage figures. The Ultimate Foot Soldier is nothing like the 1988 Foot Soldier with the exception being the weapon rack, but’s it.
...and the paint, and the sculpt. If you put them side by side, yes, there are absolutely differences, but at a glance they're extremely similar. The posture is the biggest difference.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #119
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
So, you wouldn’t want to save money by purchasing perfect FW toon turtles with alternate heads, hands, and toes? Am I reading that right?
Old 08-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #120
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
A toy industry observer should know that any toy company is going to milk a mold/sculpt as much as they possibly can before moving on to a "new & improved!" version to get as much collector money as possible. The Target 2-packs were mostly repaints of what had already been released twice before, and they're releasing them again in a future wave with new paint. Welcome to the modern toy industry.

...and the paint, and the sculpt. If you put them side by side, yes, there are absolutely differences, but at a glance they're extremely similar. The posture is the biggest difference.
The posture, height, and head sculpt of the Foot Soldier are what sets it apart from the 1988 original to me. The paint is the only thing right about the Ultimate Foot Soldier.