The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion > Platinum Dunes TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #241
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

I was sort of disappointed that the most recent film, which was heavily inspired by the 1987 TV series, failed at the box-office. That's life though and I am aware that sometimes drawing lots of themes for a light-hearted show might not always be successful. Joel Shumacher's Batman films, which were inspired by the Adam West TV series, were clearly not as well-received as their predecessors. My guess is that Paramount might approach this film by taking on the IDW comics with a just a little bit of elements from Rise of the TMNT and the 2012 TV show,.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:31 PM   #242
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_scout View Post
I was sort of disappointed that the most recent film, which was heavily inspired by the 1987 TV series, failed at the box-office.
Oh, I absolutely love that that's what happened. And it absolutely deserved to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Bumblebee Is 'Solidly Profitable' Says Viacom CEO
No it wasn't. They just want to save face and maintain "audience confidence."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #243
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Oh, I absolutely love that that's what happened. And it absolutely deserved to.

No it wasn't. They just want to save face and maintain "audience confidence."
Many of the hardcore Transformers Fans loved Bumblebee. The problem is the average movie audience didn't care for it. Because of how they felt about the previous Transformers movies.

Also the fact it opened up against Aquaman and Marry Poppins. If they had released this film separately. It could have done better.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:33 PM   #244
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Wow, I was hoping we'd hear SOMETHING in the near future, some little tidbit of info that suggested something was being worked on or was at least still on the table, but figured it might still be a while. That said... it's a bit concerning the first info is that production starts this year. I figured we'd simply hear that it's being written, or rumors of the direction of it or who might be cast, and given time first to develop a really sold script.

Not that I want to wait for all eternity for whatever this film is, but really, don't rush it too much and ruin it... Granted production may be starting a year or more after they hired a writer, so maybe that's been plenty of time to give attention to the writing, but it isn't exactly the guy's only project to vie for that attention, so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by graphic_content View Post
I read an interview with the Producers where they said that they started writing the script for OOTS centered around the huge rainforest action sequence; they worked the story around that knowing they wanted that piece there. So basically they worked backwards, developing a story (?) to suit the action, not vice versa. They admitted that, and they still scratch their heads wondering what happened?
I remember seeing something about that, too. They did the same nonsense with the first film. Had that idea for the mountain chase and wrote a movie around it. For the love of god... maybe I'm not a film writer but I'm PRETTY SURE that probably isn't how a good film is made. At least not by good film makers.

I HOPE this new writer, unlike the producers and previous writers, actually cares more about story and not just the superficial stuff like flashy action spectacle and hot cars. Shame he doesn't have more work under his belt to have a better idea of his typical work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Watch them decide that the problem was the last two aimed for an audience that was "too old", so we end up with something like the Smurfs movie.
Now, don't you go jinxing it!

God help them if they make the stupid decision of going YOUNGER. With 'Rise' doing just that, it would be nice to have a few decent films that work well enough for older fans to balance it out alongside 'Rise.'

This thing just better be live action. And not look like Space Jam.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-14-2019 at 02:41 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #245
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
God help them if they make the stupid decision of going YOUNGER. With 'Rise' doing just that, it would be nice to have a few decent films that work well enough for older fans to balance it out alongside 'Rise.'
Funny enough, the little that I've seen of 'RISE' (the first few episodes they released for free online before broadcast) had FAR better fight sequences than the movies have had. The weapon work is exciting to watch, and choreography seems thought out.

I love a good action piece, but action is not a fight sequence. And it puzzles me why cartoons aimed at children have more dynamic fight sequences, than Out of the Shadows that thought it was a good idea to replace all fighting with parkour?

All I want are the RAID-inspired fight sequences that we were promised in the first film -- but never got.

Last edited by graphic_content; 01-14-2019 at 02:56 PM.
graphic_content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #246
Leo656
The Franchise

We shouldn't be expecting them to aim high, at this point. What reason have we been given to expect anything decent?

I confess, I kind of laugh when people talk about "story, script, and writing" with a movie like this. This is a toy commercial. If they actually had a "script" for either of the last two, I'd love to see it. And by script I mean just that, an actual script that describes everything that made it onto the screen in detail. I know there are novels that exist that are based on earlier versions of the movie that didn't get made, but those words on paper apparently don't mesh with what's on screen, which tells me that the movie(s) they made were, essentially, a lot of "Point, shoot, and we'll tie it all together in post-production."

Movies like this don't get "scripts", because they're not looked at as actual "movies" by the people making them. I mean, to be fair, more movies than you'd think were made without scripts. Alien 3 shot without a script. Green Lantern shot without a script. Far too often, these people get paid millions of dollars to stand in front of a green screen, open the camera, and pray. Now, those movies generally don't turn out to be very good, but that's life when your release date is the most important thing. The fact that they're already rushing to start shooting this year when there's been exactly zero buzz about cast, director, ANYthing... and still so close to the LAST dismal failure... is cause for concern. If nothing else, it's gonna leave people a bit dismayed because it's coming out too soon after the last ones. I still maintain that "Amazing Spider-Man" is a pretty good flick, but it was never gonna get a fair shake simply because it was "too soon" in the public's eye after the previous films. I can totally see the same thing happening here.

What I sense is, they can tell that the bloom is already off the rose, "New Turtlemania" is dying fast, and they want to rush out one more movie and cash in while people still care at all, and after that the fans are probably in for another "long winter". The moves they're making across the board are not consistent with people who feel they have an "evergreen" property that's just been slightly mishandled; they're consistent with desperate people who are worried they're running out of ways to milk the cow.

But hey, feel free to hope. It's Step One to being soul-crushingly disappointed, but I guess TMNT fans are so used to abuse that it feels like love, by now. Not me!

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #247
graphic_content
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Now, those movies generally don't turn out to be very good, but that's life when your release date is the most important thing. The fact that they're already rushing to start shooting this year when there's been exactly zero buzz about cast, director, ANYthing... and still so close to the LAST dismal failure... is cause for concern.
Having just watched the full interview, it concerned me when one of them said, "we dont have a director yet...but we have dates we are trying hit."
Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #248
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Old 01-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #249
Leo656
The Franchise

Exactly. Sure, there's putting the cart in front of the horse, but c'mon.

Y'know why "Dark Knight Rises", while still a better-than-average movie, is by far the objectively worst film in its own trilogy? Because even Nolan has admitted, WB was obsessed with a release date more than anything else, while with "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" they pretty much left him alone. The third time out, they looked at the film merely as "product", to be rubber-stamped and shipped out the door "on time" to meet some arbitrary goal - most likely based on executive bonuses - and the results speak for themselves. A good movie? Sure, it's fun. As good as the previous two? Oh, lord no, not even close. A patchwork rush-job full of continuity errors, choppy editing, and terrible choreography? Abso-f*cking-lutely, it was.

"We need to hit the dates" = "This movie is not going to be a masterpiece". You don't need to be Tom Hanks to decipher that code.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #250
CyberCubed
Overlord

They better redesign the Turtles so they're not 4 Hulks with nostrils again. The noses and nostrils were so hideous and morally offensive that I was mentally traumatized by them back in 2014. It's now nearly 5 years later and let's just say the wounds have not quite yet fully healed.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #251
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
They better redesign the Turtles so they're not 4 Hulks with nostrils again. The noses and nostrils were so hideous and morally offensive that I was mentally traumatized by them back in 2014. It's now nearly 5 years later and let's just say the wounds have not quite yet fully healed.
Yes, yes. Old CyberCubed is back!
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #252
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

lol Old Cubed finally has reason to come Out of the Shadows.

Aw, the nostril-having isn't so bad... in the right scenes. Too bad such right scenes were the exception to the rule.

I do at least genuinely love this shot (albeit cropped) and admit it makes me miss this version if he is likely no more.

Quote:
“Did you just give something away?” Fuller said. “Oh boy. We did the preceding two Turtle movies, but I didn’t know that we were saying that we’re making it, but that’s good to know!”
So I guess until now Fuller was completely in the dark when we were told last June that they'd hired a writer for a reboot?

And no, definitely no high expectations. Being twice bitten really kind of makes that hard, it not impossible. HOPES, but high levels of skepticism until they prove themselves on this one...or not.

Quote:
https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-quie...-turtles-again
"I'm gonna say something I've never said before," added Fuller when asked why the TMNT franchise keeps on perpetuating itself. "The thing about the Turtles, it's the same thing about A Quiet Place. It's about a family and [the audience] being invested in a family. They are both family stories about the family sticking together and supporting one another."
"I'm gonna say something I've never said before..." Huh? Did he only recently finally come to understand that...?

Last edited by IndigoErth; 01-14-2019 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #253
Leo656
The Franchise

I've never seen a single head shot of those Turtles that doesn't make me gag.

The visual designs for those two films were trash from the start. The fact that they apparently used a cheap "CGI For Dummies" program to draw them didn't help, but there was no way to make any of that junk look good. Faces were wrong, proportions were wrong, scale was wrong, "costumes" (ugh) were wrong... Not even DaVinci could've turned that sh*t into a masterpiece.

I remember when the first pics of the Halloween costumes for the BayTurtles movie leaked... and everyone flipped out at how awful they were... and then it turned out that the movie designs were even uglier. Didn't even seem possible!

Old 01-14-2019, 03:57 PM   #254
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

I'm sure the Turtles will still be CGI. And since they are rebooting it. Its better if they just skip the origin this time. I don't know how many times we have to see the same origin over and over with each reboot. So they should find a way to quickly tell the origin. Maybe in the opening credits. There's so many other things they can do with a reboot that doesn't have to repeat what's already been establish.

Rise of the TMNT does not start with an origin at all. it just starts with them already being around.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:19 PM   #255
Leo656
The Franchise

Well, the last one didn't tell "The Origin", it made up a crappy new one that won't have anything to do (hopefully) with whatever story they come up with next. The last movie to even deal with the "proper" origin was 25 years ago.

WE have seen 80 different versions of the origin, but the general movie-going public hasn't necessarily. I'd maintain that there's still plenty of room to tell the story PROPERLY for a wider audience.

I always think of my Dad in situations like this. I loved going to see movies with him, but he was as casual as casual gets, so whenever we watched a comic book movie, he'd always constantly ask, "Wait, that's not like the comics, was it?" "No, absolutely not." "Well what'd they do that for, then? Stupid." If I need Cliff's Notes to explain to someone why your dumb movie has nothing to do with the source material, your story is bad.

The most "revolutionary" thing they could actually do, at this point, would be to start from Square One with a proper retelling. I have zero faith that they'll do this; rather, they'll probably get even further away from the source.

I'll bet you anything that right this very minute, someone is in a room saying to a bunch of other nitwits, "Y'know... we didn't even TRY making the Turtles aliens from Dimension X... the fact that the last two movies didn't do great is proof that we should have stuck to our guns." Because Hollywood only takes the wrong lesson from everything. So yeah, expect that or something similar.

MOST people sitting in the theater won't have any idea about the Turtles' origins, so there's absolutely always room for the first film in a new series to retell it. The question is, are they actually gonna play it straight, or f*ck it up?

They REALLY wanted to Turtles to be aliens. The last actual "script" for a TMNT movie (that anyone can prove exists), was that script. That's the last time they cared enough about the story to put words on paper before shooting. That should really say it all.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #256
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

They put Vernon Fenwick in a movie. Then they did it again.

That's really all I need to know about where peoples' heads are with these "films" to know that they are absolutely, positively not for me.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #257
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

And even then it was just barely Vernon. Arnett feels like an okay fit for a role in a TMNT film imo, but that literally could have been any new character because it never really felt like Vernon.

Don't they dare go back to the Turtles as aliens idea...
Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #258
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
They put Vernon Fenwick in a movie. Then they did it again.

That's really all I need to know about where peoples' heads are with these "films" to know that they are absolutely, positively not for me.
Because what's a Ninja Turtles movie without Vernon Fvckwit?
Old 01-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #259
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
And even then it was just barely Vernon. Arnett feels like an okay fit for a role in a TMNT film imo, but that literally could have been any new character because it never really felt like Vernon.

Don't they dare go back to the Turtles as aliens idea...
Or White Shredder.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #260
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Or Robo Shredder.

edit: And old man Shredder who raised old guy Eric Sachs and "was like a father to him," then turned young in the second film. In short -- age conflicts. No. lol

Tags
just.. why?, kill me now, papenbrook the troll, thedefinitionofinsanity, vote of no confidence