The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 03:17 PM   #41
sdp
-

Well I'm guessing the same things I was into now just without TMNT or anthropomorphic heroes stuff since those were inspired by TMNT.

The biggest franchises as a kid for me without the above mentioned then it was Dinosaurs/Jurassic Park/Power Rangers/Saint Seiya/Dragon Ball/Simpsons/Videogames/Star Wars/Pokemon

I liked other stuff a lot like Mighty Max, Nicktoons, Cartoon Network shows, super heroes, etc so I had plenty to keep me occupied, I was also really into anime, this was before the anime boom in the US, I got to watch tons of anime as a kid on tv uncensored.

Batman which I liked a lot but I was never "crazy" about Batman as a kid if that makes any sense. I likely became a bigger Batman fan as an adult since he's the one franchise that makes the transition into "adults liking it" without anyone batting an eye.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 11:51 AM   #42
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Alternate timeline

Here's an alternate timeline. Continue if you want.

24 December 1988: Return of the Technodrome airs.

January 1989: MWS ceases production of the animated series, after just two seasons. (point of divergence)

Mid-1989: Playmates Toys announces no second line out TMNT action figures will be released, following low sales for Christmas 1988–1989. Production of a TMNT film is abandoned.

August 1989: Masters of the Universe 2 is released to cinemas in the USA.

September 1989: The final TMNT Adventures comic, part 2 of the "Return of the Shredder" animated series adaption, is published, following dropped sales.

October 1989: Season 2 of Dinoriders begins.

November 1989-January 1990: Dinoriders dominate the 1989–1990 Christmas and holiday season.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 12-22-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:17 PM   #43
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post

October 1989: Season 2 of Dinoriders begins.

November 1989-January 1990: Dinoriders dominate the 1989–1990 Christmas and holiday season.
I would have been strangely okay with this. Dino-Riders was my all-time favorite toyline but I have the sense that most of mainstream marketing culture somehow overlooked the franchise. Maybe it was because the big Dino figure sets were too high priced compared to something like TMNT that sold individual figures for less than $4 back in the day with the vehicle sets feeling like premium supplements rather than essentials to entry.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #44
ABrown
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Here's an interesting thought, if TMNT never existed or failed, what big franchise do you think you'd be into now instead?
I don't even have to play "what if". Transformers was my other passion before the original TMNT cartoon ever existed.
ABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 PM   #45
sdp
-

Yeah, I'm ok with a timeline where Dinoriders succeeds and TMNT doesn't. Dinosaurs were my first true love before my toddler self found TMNT. I still love dinosaurs but now I had a second love.

It still perplexes me that Dinoriders is so fondly remembered and people ask for a revival when the toyline was only somewhat successful and the show only lasted one season.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 02:49 PM   #46
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Alternate timeline continuation

I'll continue the timeline below:

September 1990: Season 3 of Dinoriders begins, and has the characters travelling in time to various points in Earth's history. Other popular animated series are the New Adventures of Heman, produced by Filmation that still exists in this timeline, and Transformers.

September-December 1991: Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars becomes a major success.

September 1992: The popular time-travel Dinoriders leads to Hanna-Barbera producing new Flintstones and Jetsons episodes, watched by children who grew up with mothers and fathers watching the originals in the 1950's and 60's.

1992: Live-action films with Dinoriders and the Transformers score major successes in cinemas.

28 May 1993: Better done, the Super Mario Bros. live-action film becomes more successful than in our timeline.

1995: When anime and manga hit outside Japan as a major thing, the influence is less with the TMNT being almost forgotten among younger people.

February 2003: The animated "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" starts airing.

Last edited by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan; 04-26-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:57 PM   #47
inaheap
Mad Scientist

We would have gotten TMNT figures from Bossfight Studios instead of Bucky. lol

Seriously though I do not like the idea of a no TMNT world. Glad it happened the way it did.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #48
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Here's an interesting thought, if TMNT never existed or failed, what big franchise do you think you'd be into now instead?

As I said since I grew up in the 80's and early 90's, I'd probably be a much bigger Batman fan than I am now. The Tim Burton Batman film came out in 1989, then B:TAS in 1992...so it was the perfect time for kids at that point to become big Batman fans. I love Batman, but I never got into the comics. I wonder if I'd be a huge DC fan right now if TMNT never existed.

Another one is Star Wars. Always loved it, but never got into the comics/novels. It was mostly just the movies, toys, and videogames for me. I wonder if I'd be a huge Star Wars nerd right now.

The other stuff like Pokemon and Dragonball Z didn't come till the late 90's, so that's far removed from the TMNT era and I got into this after TMNT "ended" anyway.
Well TMNT isn't the only franchise I'm into. But which one would be number 1 in my heart? Probably a video game franchise like Zelda or Mario; I guess.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #49
CyberCubed
Overlord

I can't consider videogame franchises as big as TV/movie franchises. I play videogames all the time, but I wouldn't consider Mario, Zelda, etc. a fandom over a TV series.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:23 PM   #50
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
I can't consider videogame franchises as big as TV/movie franchises. I play videogames all the time, but I wouldn't consider Mario, Zelda, etc. a fandom over a TV series.
You are sorely, sorely mistaken. The Nintendo fanbase is nuts.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 03:30 PM   #51
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Dude ofc it's a fandom. Come on now, Zelda and especially Mario games have sold millions of copies since the 1980s. And lots of people are big fans of said franchises and will discuss both to lengths. Not to mention there's also other merch of them out there.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #52
CyberCubed
Overlord

You play videogames you don't watch them (most of the time), it's not the same as a fandom for TV shows.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #53
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Video games have huge fandoms, and many video games have pretty detailed stories just like tv shows.

The Mario games fandom eclipses the tmnt fandom for everything (movies, cartoons, comics) many times over.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM   #54
CyberCubed
Overlord

I know this, I've been on videogame forums since 1997. I'm just saying it's not like watching something. Videogames fandoms are separate from having a fandom over a long running TV series.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #55
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Quote:
I know this, I've been on videogame forums since 1997. I'm just saying it's not like watching something. Videogames fandoms are separate from having a fandom over a long running TV series.
True. Its funny though, how some video games are discussed like they are tv shows with the plot and all. I see people discussing the story, the lore and the characters of the games at length down to very minute details like the what was the great war mentioned by Lt. Surge in Pokemon

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #56
CyberCubed
Overlord

It probably helps that now tumblr exists for this sort of thing.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:00 PM   #57
d_osborn
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You play videogames you don't watch them (most of the time), it's not the same as a fandom for TV shows.
There's not a "viewing" prerequisite for being a fan of something.
d_osborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #58
CyberCubed
Overlord

I played Nintendo games all through the 80's and 90's when the original TMNT cartoon was airing and when I was watching other cartoons like Batman, etc. I never considered videogame fandoms the same thing as show/movie fandoms.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:11 PM   #59
Chris
Mad Scientist

Strangely enough people do just watch video games. I literally just read an interview with Amy Hennig about the cancelled Visceral Star Wars game and this is a quote from it;

"There is also this trend now that, as much as people protest and say, 'Why are you canceling a linear, story-based game? This is the kind of game we want,' people aren’t necessarily buying them. They’re watching somebody else play them online."

So it's not just a thing, it's actually an issue that could, long term, affect the types of games companies make.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 08:41 PM   #60
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

Sometimes I enjoy watching Youtube lets plays to experience the story of a game if I don't wanna play it.