The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > Announcement Forums > Questions/Comments/Suggestions

Notices

Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Lightbulb These forums need better moderation, reply if you agree!

I just want to preface this by saying that I am not volunteering or nominating myself in any shape or form. I am simply pointing out a dire need on this forum and I hope others will agree and reply with support.

This board has plenty of rules, most I'd say are very sensible. But while some get upheld frequently (rules against spam, rather a thread/post is on-topic or not, posting of illegal or extreme content, etc.), others are TOTALLY IGNORED by a significant portion of the membership here and they suffer no consequences at all. I am talking mostly about rule two.

Let me remind some among us exactly what rule 2 is:

2. Please respect other members. Attacking or harassing other members on the forums is not allowed. This includes trolling (posting with the intention of upsetting people and/or starting arguments). If you get into an argument with another member, please take it to email/PM/IM and keep it off the forums.

Long, drawn out arguments are uncommon, but attack posts and messages designed to stealthily attack by way of demeaning or insulting other posters are an everyday, heck every hour at peak times, occurrence. This is not a way to run a community and I'm sick of seeing nothing done about it!

TMNT is about to hit another peak in its popularity and is already attracting lots of new fans of all ages. I want to see this board set in place the right initiatives to foster our growing community so that when we get new people coming here, they don't just turn around and leave when they see the kind of attitudes on display that go unchecked.

I don't think that the moderators are lazy or enjoy seeing rude behavior, I mostly believe that the moderators that have been assigned are inactive, which is understandable considering the age of this board. See for yourself. How many of them do you see posting regularly? Not many!

What do you guys think about the moderation here? Do they do a good enough job? What, if anything, do you feel could be improved?
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
snake
Disgusting

We don't need better mods. Some people need to respect opinions. Besides that, it's fine.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeweed101 View Post
We don't need better mods. Some people need to respect opinions. Besides that, it's fine.
Because that's already happening on its own, right? Is that how you'd like your local government to operate? Let me know how it works out.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
snake
Disgusting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulithe View Post
Because that's already happening on its own, right? Is that how you'd like your local government to operate? Let me know how it works out.
Banning tons of people will only cause more trouble.

But yeah, we need new mods, also.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

There's nothing wrong with the mods...it's not their fault some members are the way they are. No matter where you go on the internet, there will ALWAYS be rude and ignorant people. It's best just to ignore them.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Aaronardo
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
There's nothing wrong with the mods...it's not their fault some members are the way they are. No matter where you go on the internet, there will ALWAYS be rude and ignorant people. It's best just to ignore them.
Even though there is rudeness on the internet, isn't the Drome supposed to not tolerate those types of people? If we had mods that more frequently enforced the rules, the Drome would be a much better place to roam around.

I don't think we need replacement mods, but I just feel the mods need to get more on top of their game.
"The Biosites have almost finished healing my flesh." - Shredder
"Because we're takin' the heart and you're goin' to jail!" - Donatello
Aaronardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCollectorGuy View Post
Even though there is rudeness on the internet, isn't the Drome supposed to not tolerate those types of people? If we had mods that more frequently enforced the rules, the Drome would be a much better place to roam around.

I don't think we need replacement mods, but I just feel the mods need to get more on top of their game.
THANK you. I was beginning to think I was the only one with some ideals.

I think people should be able to share their opinions and thoughts and not have to put up with BS. Guess some don't agree.

Now if someone, particularly a new poster, breaks a rule, says something out of line or without putting thought into what they are doing, course they should be set straight. But there are ways to do this without coming off wrong.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCollectorGuy View Post

I didn't really think of that, I suppose your right.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
BubblyShell22
Leo-holic

I don't think it's the mods' faults as they're doing the best that they can with what they have. It's just that there are people out there who are going to be rude and ignorant. That's what the real world's all about, and you can't always stop these people from being who they are. I say just ignore them or defend yourself if you have to. If anything, just tell the person to take it to PM if they want to continue.

"Embrace your inner a**holiness."-Mr. Anderson.
BubblyShell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Nameless
Mad Scientist

I disagree with you. The mods do a fine job. They step in when they have to and let the forum be the rest of the time. To take your government analogy yes i want my government to step in if someone is attacking or genuinely threatening me but i'de rather them let me handle my own business if its just a disagreement or someone is just being rude.

you have to take what people say on a web forum with a grain of salt. Especially since no one really knows how a written comment is suppose to be taken because you have no tone of voice or any other clues to how they mean for the comment to be taken other then what is written. A great example of this is your response to Snakeweed. It could be taken as a sarcastic attack on there intelligence or it could be taken as a way for you to express you disagreement with their post with a bit of sarcasm.

To much moderation and you start to censor peoples freedom of speech. Anyways thats my thoughts on the matter.

My Collection:http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/sho...09#post1103509
Nameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #11
Powder
So tired of this place

I totally agree with Nameless. It's very rare that something serious goes down & isn't dealt with relatively quick. We're adults here. If people can't sort out their own issues, that's their own problem.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #12
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
We're adults here.

You made a funny.

Anyways, I don't think we need better mods, or new mods. I think some users need to learn that things cannot always go their way. I haven't seen any personal attacks other than disagreements of opinions. If you think you're being attacked then you've never heard of the Volcanic Asteroid and all of the glory it held. If you have a problem with a forum member block them and you will never see their posts. It is a relatively easy concept that works wonders on your self esteem.

Sticks and stones man, sticks and stones.

-ms
Old 08-08-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
GK Punk
I'm your Devil

The thing to remember is, We're also human. We have things going on outside of the forum, we can't be here 24/7, sometimes some of us can't even make it here every day. We try to check every time we're alerted to a problem though, even when busy. (Seriously, I've gotten PMs about problems then checked it out right there on my phone.) Always try to alert mods to problems, don't expect us to magically find it.
GK Punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Venom
Space Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK Punk View Post
The thing to remember is, We're also human. We have things going on outside of the forum, we can't be here 24/7, sometimes some of us can't even make it here every day. We try to check every time we're alerted to a problem though, even when busy. (Seriously, I've gotten PMs about problems then checked it out right there on my phone.) Always try to alert mods to problems, don't expect us to magically find it.
This, I've did this several times! As a 30 yr. old with a 60 hour work week, it gets tough at times but I love the Drome and want to help.

It's a fine balance we have to play, too lenient and the trolls come out to play, crackdown and people complain we're too strict. Gotta find the middle line, which tends to give some of the authority to the users in the form of self-moderation and using common sense.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
Konchadunga
Stone Warrior

They don't need better moderation, but I think they need more. Forums where I go to get away from the grind of free speech. I am in no way being ironic.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
Grimlock
Hench Mutant

2. Please respect other members. Attacking or harassing other members on the forums is not allowed. This includes trolling (posting with the intention of upsetting people and/or starting arguments). If you get into an argument with another member, please take it to email/PM/IM and keep it off the forums.

I find this rule amusing. Trolling, as defined here, is me stating my opinion and then people getting all butthurt about it and throwing a fit. Taking it waay too personally and telling me I am a ''troll''.

Perhaps sensitive people shouldn't join message boards? I mean, we have the whole spectrum here. We have people that are very friendly and we have others who are hostile to new members or people that do and say things that are not to their liking. Not everyone will always agree. Sticks and stones.

#Don'tbeababy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK Punk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This, I've did this several times! As a 30 yr. old with a 60 hour work week, it gets tough at times but I love the Drome and want to help.

It's a fine balance we have to play, too lenient and the trolls come out to play, crackdown and people complain we're too strict. Gotta find the middle line, which tends to give some of the authority to the users in the form of self-moderation and using common sense.
I understand that. But if getting on the forum is sometimes a hassle then why not step down and let someone else with no life be a mod?
Grimlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I disagree. The level of moderation is fine. I don't see much/any name-calling going on... as for intense argument or debate or all board members not sharing the same views on things and not holding hands and singing Kumbayah in each and every thread... if this bothers you, it's been my experience that you should probably go somewhere other than an internet comic book message board.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:46 PM   #18
Machias Banshee
Super Moderator

We've gone through this cycle of how much to mod, is it too much, or too less... we've gone from being called power-crazed censorship nazis to lazy absent mods that play favorites.

I try to get on for a little bit in the evening to see what is going on... but when there's 7 pages and over a hundred threads to read... we can't read every single thread.

That is why you use the report button, and you contact us by PM. TELL us if something is going on. For example, here was a whole big crapshow going on in the 4Kids forum that I didn't know about until I actually got a report from someone. Then we dealt with the user, and things have cleared up in there just fine...

Let us Know if there is a problem. (A$$es will be kicked, and names will be taken)

We're just not these all-knowing omnipotent beings with the powers of the Matrix.... would be cool, though...
Machias Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:49 PM   #19
Leo656
The Franchise

I get away with murder and I'm possibly THE most belligerent and obnoxious person here, and if I'm not, I swear I'll try harder.

So based on that, I'd say the Mods are doing a fine job. Yes, some people take things too far, but no matter where you are in life, being offended is a CHOICE, and as such, I think it's easier to simply choose not to get offended rather than expect others to curb their offensive behavior.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:14 AM   #20
Voltron
Handsomest Boy in School

The mods, myself not included**, here are the best on the net. I've never come across people as impartial, analytical, and fair as the ones who moderate this board.

If you have an issue with something or someone here, I offer you this in conjunction with GK and Machi's VERY poignant responses: If someone here offends you, and there will be many who do, ask yourself this:

Is it worth being so angry about that I demand immediate and permanent punishment be enforced?

I've had plenty of disagreements and VERY strong words with people on this forum. At the end of the day, even my most bitter enemies still offer up actual content for this board. I may not enjoy that content; that does not give me the right to shut them out completely. That brings me to another point.

There is an option to block people on this board. If someone is really upsetting you, block them. Pretend they don't exist. It's only a few button clicks.

The mods only hand down serious punishment to serious infractions. If someone called you a name, or mentioned their many sexual exploits involving various members of your family, that's not really going to get much attention.

A lot of power has been given to the common member of this forum. I suggest that you use it.