The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 09-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #81
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred Head View Post
Botamon has hatched and we now got a wait a moment sign. Not to sure what time it is in Japan compared to America they may be waiting later in the day there to release something. That or they didn't expect so many to nade-nade the egg.
Depends on the time zone in the US, but at the time you made that post, which I have set to EST, as I'm from Virginia, it was about 7:30 something Sun morn here.
ssjup81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 05:29 PM   #82
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

What is this about Botomon? Is it some promotion to Tai(and hopefully others) return?

I hope that feeling of disappointment in not continuing the Adventure 01 team will be satisifed with this possibility. Loved the characters dealing with all the ier demons and personality clashes and growing.

Central Va,huh? Are you going to Wizard Con in Richmond next weekend? Kevin Eastman will be there.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #83
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
What is this about Botomon? Is it some promotion to Tai(and hopefully others) return?
Why wouldn't they? The promo said that it'll have 八神太一、17歳. It's definitely going to deal with a 17-year-old Taichi.
Quote:
I hope that feeling of disappointment in not continuing the Adventure 01 team will be satisifed with this possibility. Loved the characters dealing with all the ier demons and personality clashes and growing.
Yup, same.
Quote:
Central Va,huh? Are you going to Wizard Con in Richmond next weekend? Kevin Eastman will be there.
No because I live in Japan. lol. I'm from Virginia, which is why I have the settings here in EST.

*points to profile*

When I said it was 7:30 something in the morn here, here = Japan.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:11 AM   #84
Leofan26
Mad Scientist

Man I know what I love, seeing Tai's good old hair style back

I hope they keep his personality in tack, I liked how they did him in 02 but that's me.
Leofan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 02:41 AM   #85
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

I'm hoping 02 isn't ignored or declared non-canon. The epilogue I couldn't give a **** about, but the rest of that series was great and defined Digimon for me since the height of my childhood obsession with it was when 02's dub was airing. I'm confident it'll be a great experience otherwise.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #86
Allio
Foot Elite

^
I'm so sorry to hear that

Old 09-07-2014, 11:00 PM   #87
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

**** off with the dub bashing, right now. That's flamebaiting.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:11 AM   #88
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netkeeper View Post
shows you what you know, I was referring to Adventure 02 in general
Old 09-08-2014, 02:39 PM   #89
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
But you can bash every other thing? Come on, man. Don't be a baby.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:45 PM   #90
Peanut
Second Gear

02 dub was awful, but 02 is awful in general, so it's not entirely their fault!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:49 PM   #91
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Yo, for real. 02's EVERYTHING was really bad.

F*ck Veemon and his lame ass self.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #92
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Why wouldn't they? The promo said that it'll have 八神太一、17歳. It's definitely going to deal with a 17-year-old Taichi.Yup, same.No because I live in Japan. lol. I'm from Virginia, which is why I have the settings here in EST.

*points to profile*

When I said it was 7:30 something in the morn here, here = Japan.
I see you edited your location. I'm not too far from Richmond.Anyway, wanted to point you to a Kevin Eastman/Jason David Frank meet & greet.

Glad to have Tai back but I want Matt back too. Never quite got the plot reasons for why Davis, Cody, and Yoeli doubled up the other six's strengths and they had to open the gate for the other six to enter yet T.K. and Karai were able to side grade to digi-armor. I am not complaining just 14 years later and still not making sense to me.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:47 PM   #93
Netkeeper
tactical blackquill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allio View Post
shows you what you know, I was referring to Adventure 02 in general
And you say that to someone who just said they liked 02? You're still flamebaiting. I don't care if you don't like 02, but I do, so knock it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
But you can bash every other thing? Come on, man. Don't be a baby.
He knows I don't like dub bashing and that I'll call it out.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:30 PM   #94
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Quote:
He knows I don't like dub bashing and that I'll call it out.
And I'm sure you know some people don't like the bashing you do of some things, yet here you are playing the victim.

Last edited by Cure; 09-08-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #95
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
I see you edited your location. I'm not too far from Richmond.Anyway, wanted to point you to a Kevin Eastman/Jason David Frank meet & greet.
Actually, the only thing I edited was my favorite turtle section. My location has been written this way for the past couple of years.
Quote:
Glad to have Tai back but I want Matt back too. Never quite got the plot reasons for why Davis, Cody, and Yoeli doubled up the other six's strengths and they had to open the gate for the other six to enter yet T.K. and Karai were able to side grade to digi-armor. I am not complaining just 14 years later and still not making sense to me.
Well, Adventure was only supposed to be one series and was supposed to end with an epilogue with Yamato and Sora together according the series director. During its run, another series was ordered. Adventure 02 was pretty much promoting the D3 at the time as well as the D-Terminal along with some elements from the Wonderswan games (V-mon, Ken, Wormmon, for example).

Also, for Adventure's continuity, to be chosen one had to be 12 or younger, which was mentioned in Adventure. It's like only kids can help mostly. The 02 ages were...

Jou: 15 (last year of Junior High unless his private school held both junior and high school)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 14 (second year at Odaiba Junior High School)
Koushirou: 13 (First year at Odaiba JHS)
Mimi: 13 (First year of JHS if in Japan/maybe last year in NY)

Miyako: 12 (Last year at Odaiba Elementary)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 11 (5th year at Odaiba/Tamachi Elementary)
Iori: 9 (3rd year at Odaiba Elementary)

There was an age restriction on being chosen, which was probably why the three vets (Takeru, Hikari, and Ken) could contribute and help while Taichi and the others couldn't.

The show was also being a bit realistic too. Elementary school students have a lot of free time, unless you were like Jou who was attending a cram school since he was trying to get into the private school he's in for 02 (public JHSs don't have entrance exams, but all high schools do). Junior-high-school students don't have as much free time. ES students don't have as much testing, nor do they have mandatory school club activities. For public JHSs, all students must participate in a club activity.

This is more than likely why we saw Koushirou more than Taichi and Yamato more than Sora. Koushirou was in the computer club and Yamato had a music club. Not as time consuming as sports clubs (Taichi had soccer/Sora had tennis) and they don't meet as much. Sports clubs can even meet during school vacations. For example, in movie 4, despite being on spring break, Sora was busy with her tennis club.

For this upcoming series, I could see the following being busy with real life stuff out of the Adventure/Adventure 02 cast....

Jou preparing for university entrance exams as he would be in his final year of high school

Koushirou/Mimi: They would be first year high school students so plenty of testing

Miyako preparing for high school entrance exams

Takeru/Daisuke: I could see both doing a sports club (basketball and soccer respectively)

So yeah...that's my theory.

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-08-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:23 PM   #96
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
There u go I don't give a damn about Takari or any of those popular ships although Rika/boys are stupid ships the lot of them
So you can say this, and call it stupid, but someone points out legit flaws with Adventure 02's dub (or 02 in general) it's bashing?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:33 PM   #97
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjup81 View Post
Actually, the only thing I edited was my favorite turtle section. My location has been written this way for the past couple of years.Well, Adventure was only supposed to be one series and was supposed to end with an epilogue with Yamato and Sora together according the series director. During its run, another series was ordered. Adventure 02 was pretty much promoting the D3 at the time as well as the D-Terminal along with some elements from the Wonderswan games (V-mon, Ken, Wormmon, for example).

Also, for Adventure's continuity, to be chosen one had to be 12 or younger, which was mentioned in Adventure. It's like only kids can help mostly. The 02 ages were...

Jou: 15 (last year of Junior High unless his private school held both junior and high school)
Taichi/Sora/Yamato: 14 (second year at Odaiba Junior High School)
Koushirou: 13 (First year at Odaiba JHS)
Mimi: 13 (First year of JHS if in Japan/maybe last year in NY)

Miyako: 12 (Last year at Odaiba Elementary)
Takeru/Hikari/Daisuke/Ken: 11 (5th year at Odaiba/Tamachi Elementary)
Iori: 9 (3rd year at Odaiba Elementary)

There was an age restriction on being chosen, which was probably why the three vets (Takeru, Hikari, and Ken) could contribute and help while Taichi and the others couldn't.

The show was also being a bit realistic too. Elementary school students have a lot of free time, unless you were like Jou who was attending a cram school since he was trying to get into the private school he's in for 02 (public JHSs don't have entrance exams, but all high schools do). Junior-high-school students don't have as much free time. ES students don't have as much testing, nor do they have mandatory school club activities. For JHS, all students must participate in a club activity.

This is more than likely why we saw Koushirou more than Taichi and Yamato more than Sora. Koushirou was in the computer club and Yamato had a music club. Not as time consuming as sports clubs (Taichi had soccer/Sora had tennis) and they don't meet as much. Sports clubs can even meet during school vacations. For example, in movie 4, despite being on spring break, Sora was busy with her tennis club.

For this upcoming series, I could see the following being busy with real life stuff out of the Adventure/Adventure 02 cast....

Jou preparing for university entrance exams as he would be in his final year of high school

Koushirou/Mimi: They would be first year high school students so plenty of testing

Miyako preparing for high school entrance exams

Takeru/Daisuke: I could see both doing a sports club (basketball and soccer respectively)

So yeah...that's my theory.
Just for future reference could you use their Americanized names for
clarity.

I never caught on to an age limit. I assumed the six older kids were all 12 while T.K. and Karai were 8 at the time. Then fast forward 3 years and they are all 15 while the two younger that still got to participate full time were 11, a year younger than the older six in the first season.

I am a secondary school teacher here in the States and know the system well. Its quite different in Japan and despite the US governments efforts it does not equal the system of your current country. I appreciate your insight and vote of realistic nature it portrays. I thought the producers were trying to force us to appreciate a different set of characters by revolving around T.K. and Karai's age group and pushing the other main ones as side mentor characters. Audiences saw that with Super Sentai and all its live action heroes changing annually not to mention Ash's Pok'emon rotation.

You say that Sora was always intended to be with Matt? Season 1 and Digimon the movie really makes it clear that it was Tai/Sora and Joe/Mimi. I remember as a kid when Matt and Sora fought Phatomon when capturing Karai, thinking it would be funny if Matt ended up with Sora instead and perhaps with Mimi. That was my 12 year old mind. Lo and behold it actually happened as far as the odd pair of Matt/Sora.

That was back when the only internet spoilers referred to control spires built by a Digimon Kaiser and it was up to T.K. and Karai to restore order. Oh, the days of the primitive internet.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #98
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Quote:
Just for future reference could you use their Americanized names for
clarity.
If I remember. It's become a habit since I have more exposure to the original than the dub. Even before I saw any of 02, I knew the Japanese names first so out of habit I use them.

Now anything past Adventure, I just don't know the dub names.
Quote:
I never caught on to an age limit.
I can't recall, but didn't the first episode of Adventure give a profile? They did for the original as well as their school year and class. Koushirou even gave Mimi's information when they realized they were one kid short.
Quote:
I assumed the six older kids were all 12 while T.K. and Karai were 8 at the time. Then fast forward 3 years and they are all 15 while the two younger that still got to participate full time were 11, a year younger than the older six in the first season.
Nope.
Quote:
I am a secondary school teacher here in the States and know the system well. Its quite different in Japan and despite the US governments efforts it does not equal the system of your current country.
Yeah, I know that. I was studying to be a teacher back home in VA.
Quote:
I appreciate your insight and vote of realistic nature it portrays. I thought the producers were trying to force us to appreciate a different set of characters by revolving around T.K. and Karai's age group and pushing the other main ones as side mentor characters. Audiences saw that with Super Sentai and all its live action heroes changing annually not to mention Ash's Pok'emon rotation.
No problem.
Quote:
You say that Sora was always intended to be with Matt? Season 1 and Digimon the movie really makes it clear that it was Tai/Sora and Joe/Mimi.
Yeah, they were the intended couple from the beginning. Watching the Japanese version, I can see how, especially movie 2. Sora was upset, but Taichi didn't get why and there was no indication that he liked her in that way period and was more annoyed than anything else.

As for Jou x Mimi, I like that pairing, it's my fav Joe ship, but my fav Mimi pairing is Koushirou x Mimi. It's my all time fav pairing of any fandom period and I don't know why. lol

Thinking about it, Koushirou x Mimi was way more popular than Jou x Mimi in Japan. Looking back, I wonder if they were going to do something with it but stopped when the show was picked up for another year.

There was the labyrinth ep of Adventure. I liked the original episode much better than the dubbed one and here's why.
Spoiler:
One thing I liked in a general sense was that Koushirou was partnered up with Mimi's Palmon and Mimi was partnered up with Koushirou's Tentomon. I found it interesting how it was set up that way, and, to my knowledge, this wasn't done for any other characters (at the time). I also liked it better mainly because Koushirou came across as being a bit more concerned about Tentomon and Mimi when comparing him to how "Izzy" acted, imo. Also, when Tentomon was going on about something being wrong after Izzy stopped talking abruptly for the dub, originally, Koushirou was still talking to them and warning them of something else being in the maze with them. For that entire scene, Tentomon didn't speak at all because Koushirou was doing all of the talking. Here, it seemed as if Izzy didn't fully care too much whether they got out safely or not, whereas there, Koushirou was tossing out suggestions to help them more. Izzy came across as too businesslike maybe.

Something else I found interesting about this episode concerning the two regarding their partner switch, was the fact that Palmon was trying to get Koushirou to understand Mimi and Tentomon was trying to get Mimi to understand Koushirou. I just found that incredibly ironic because I'm almost positive (for the Adventure/Adventure 02 group) that this has never been done for any of the other characters.

Oh and there's also the love letter drama they put out for Adventure which is fun to listen to...but I'll start with Joe. lol
Spoiler:
The Digimon Adventure dramas Jou ga Kashu Debut! (Part 1) and Jou ga Kashu Debut! (Part 2), which is found on the Digimon Adventure Character Song & Mini Drama 1 CD (the other tracks dealt with Taichi and Sora having a battle against some Digimon on the Rainbow Bridge, and the other was of Sora doing a radio show which was paying homage to her voice actress who actually did haver her own radio show) showed that Jou had a bit of an interest in music and singing in general. After a battle, everyone, minus Taichi and Sora, who were both absent for this drama, seemingly as I don't recall hearing them, complimented Jou on a job well done in the battle.

A woman then showed up and asked Jou if he wanted to become an "idol" and to sing, as that's what the Digimon fans would like. Jou was very excited over the idea of it and he and Gomamon tried to think of a theme he could sing. The next track on the CD is the song he chose to sing, Chigau Boku ga Iru, which is his Digimon Adventure image theme performed by his seiyuu, the famous Kikuchi Masami.

After the song, it goes to the next track, Jou ga Kashu Debut! (Part 2). Jou was confident and ready to become a popular "idol". The woman disappointed Jou, though, by informing him that it turned out that the request wasn't for him. Instead, the request from the fans was for something involving Koushirou and Mimi, "and maybe Hikari". Jou was very disappointed over that. At the end, Koushirou, Mimi, and Hikari say something along the lines of listen to the next CD or something like that. I don't have it with me here to listen to it.

Ironically, the fans wanted a drama dealing with those three, and that's exactly what the fans got. The next drama CD to come out was the Digimon Adventure Character Song & Mini Drama 2. You could say it involved a love triangle. It dealt with Koushirou writing a love-letter, but was caught by Taichi and then the others showed up and they were all trying to figure out who the letter was for, much to Koushirou's apprehension. They tied the poor boy up and gagged him when he ordered Tentomon to evolve to try to get away on Kabuterimon (Mimi told Palmon to pull Kabuterimon back to the ground with her vines) to get out of telling who it was for. The main person everyone figured it was for was Mimi. Mimi didn't mind the idea of it since, to her anyway, she felt she was very likeable. Hikari disagreed with the letter being for her. To make a long story short, Mimi and Hikari ended up getting into a fight, their Digimon battling one another and we never find out who the letter is for, because when Koushirou tells Tentomon, his computer beeps, so all we hear is the "san" part of it, which is ambiguous since Koushirou uses the "san" honorific with all of the girls (Sora, Mimi, Hikari).

It was still a funny drama though. When they mentioned Sora, Sora was like, "I'm not into younger guys." When Hikari was mentioned, Jou pointed out that Koushirou would become part of the Yagami family and Yamato was all like, "I would never allow that to happen if that was my sister," and then it turns out that Taichi was against the idea of Koushirou liking Hikari. Either way, the main person assumed was definitely Mimi. In Japan, the pairing of Koushirou x Mimi was very popular at the time out of the Adventure pairings and is the only one, for the Adventure kids, to literally be focused on in that way just because of fan requests.
The third cd drama dealt with Yamato and Takeru, and the Digimon.

OMG, it's hilarious! The kids' Digimon were putting on a show for their partners. Each Digimon was doing a trick or showing off a talent. Patamon did a backwards evolution, Gabumon took off his fur, etc. OH Tentomon spoke without his Kansai accent. Gomamon did impressions which were so bad only Jou clapped. All of the impressions sounded the same.

The best was Agumon. He sucked and was annoyed that no one was paying attention to him and the other kids were all discussing who was best.
Spoiler:
Agumon evolved to SkullGreymon and attacked everyone.
Quote:
I remember as a kid when Matt and Sora fought Phatomon when capturing Karai, thinking it would be funny if Matt ended up with Sora instead and perhaps with Mimi. That was my 12 year old mind. Lo and behold it actually happened as far as the odd pair of Matt/Sora.
You know seems that only outside of Japan is Matt x Mimi popular. Yamato x Mimi isn't at all.
Quote:
That was back when the only internet spoilers referred to control spires built by a Digimon Kaiser and it was up to T.K. and Karai to restore order. Oh, the days of the primitive internet.
We had AOHell. lol

Last edited by ssjup81; 09-08-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:19 PM   #99
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

I think I misworded it. I meant back when City Under Siege aired for the first time that I thought "It would be funny if a mix matched couple like Matt and Sora happened instead of Sora ending up with Tai". That and when Matt talks Sora out of her "finding her place moment" are really the only two connections those two characters had before Matt suddenly asked her to his concert a dozen episodes into season 2.

As for Mimi I thought it would be funny if to make Sora jealous Tai would date her and actually end up together leaving poor akward Joe in the cold. The key segment in Digimon:The Movie seemed to imply Tai/Sora and Mimi/Joe. I completely missed Matt and Sora always intended to be together and Tai was never jealous but protective of a sister figure like you said. Interesting...

Its funny how we are talking cartoon romantic should/ could have relationships 15 years after it aired.

Another odd subject, what is up with Mimi's hair in season 2. Its pink with stars in it and then a few episodes later its lighter than her original hair and puffy then it seems to have gone back to the original style. It makes me think the character designers could not settle on a look.

Edit: As for the profiles I only remember Japanese writing with just the Americanized name should top center of the profile much like the Digi profiles were. Considering its all Japanese text that was never translated I never picked up on it. That was why I assumed Tai, Matt, Sora,Mimi, Izzy, and Joe were all the exact same grade/age.

Another Va teacher? Well,could have been atleast. Quite a few of us are educators around here.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:54 PM   #100
ssjup81
Foot Elite

Oh god I hate the dub movie with an extreme passion...but I've forgotten why. I saw the original movies first though. Maybe that was why. *shrugs*

In Bokura no Wargame, Taichi was annoyed the whole time regarding Sora, so there was nothing from his side. With Sora it could've been interpreted that way. Jou/Mimi was nonexistent.

What was in the dub movie, what was there to imply the pairing?

Oh yeah, I didn't know Matt asked out Sora. I never saw the dub ep.

Tags
digimon