The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 05-10-2018, 03:57 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Remember the Ali G and Borat shows?

You know, the two most iconic Sasha Baron Cohen characters? Ali G and Borat were quite popular in the early-mid 2000s. Who doesn't remember how Cohen interviewed all sorts of people while in Borat's or Ali G's character? Also, in case you don't know, Booyakasha was made popular/mainstream by Ali G... which makes it awkward for me to hear Mikey in the Nick show saying that.

I used to love both Ali G and Borat when I was a kid and I have some nostalgia for their sketches. Some are still amusing after all these years, but not as funny anymore. As for the movies, I remember watching Borat at the cinema and finding it hysterical, but then re-watched it a year or two later on DVD and didn't really laugh much. Oh well, that's a downside to comedy I guess.

Ali G was funny to me because he was a caricature of a "gangsta". One of my favourite lines of him is when he asks a woman if anal sex can impregnate a woman and when she says no, he says to the camera "See Tanya? I'm not the father!" .

Borat was an interesting case. He was an individual with very backwards thoughts, but often he'd end up meeting with backwards people as well. It's like when he voiced his messed up views occasionally someone would reveal their true selves and also turn out to be rather backwards, themselves. Who can forget that moment when he goes to a country club/bar or wtv and everyone starts singing along with him to "throw the jew down the well"?

Btw, fun facts, Kazakhstani people don't like Borat much because he sorta gave the country a bad reputation. Kazakhstan is not some backwards hellhole like it's portrayed in Borat. His village in the movie is actually in Romania and when he's speaking Khazak he's actually speaking Hebrew.

What about you? Do you like Ali G and Borat? Got any favourite sketches and lines?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:06 PM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

I didn't like the actual Ali G movie, though.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:11 PM   #3
Prowler
Emperor

Haha I totally forgot about him interviewing Trump.

I don't remember Ali G's movie as well as Borat's. But yeah, I don't recall really caring much for it either.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

The Borat movie was raucous and hysterical at times... though I don't think I'd enjoy it a second time. Never saw Bruno or The Dictator.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 04:25 PM   #5
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The Borat movie was raucous and hysterical at times... though I don't think I'd enjoy it a second time. Never saw Bruno or The Dictator.
Yeah I bought the DVD when it came out and me and my family watched it again and didn't like it as much. Tbh our memories from it were pretty fresh. Hell, after all these years I still remember that movie very well. It's not a movie you easily forget. And humour often ends up becoming dated.

BrĂ¼no Gehard has always been my least favourite of his characters. Never liked him much. He just felt less original and interesting than Borat and Ali G. So I never bothered watching his movie.

I've never watched The Dictator either, but would have liked to do so.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 AM   #6
Mayhem
Foot Elite

Started to watch "The 11 O'Clock Show" when it launched for Iain Lee, then it was due to Daisy Donovan (hubba), but once Ali G got going, THAT was the reason for watching it heh. Ricky Gervais and Mackenzie Crook were also on it, and went on to do "The Office" of course...
Old 05-11-2018, 01:06 PM   #7
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

The old show is damn near perfect to me. I like the Borat and Bruno movies but not as much as the show because parts of those felt too fake/staged. The Ali G movie is garbage. The Dictator isn't very good either.

Supposedly Sasha Baron Cohen has another new movie coming out with a new character that will be used in the same vein as the Ali G/Borat/Bruno characters.
NinjaPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #8
DarkFell
A Crusty Bob Fan

I have The Borat Movie (I ought to watch it sometime), but I haven't seen any of the shows.
DarkFell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #9
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPug View Post
The old show is damn near perfect to me. I like the Borat and Bruno movies but not as much as the show because parts of those felt too fake/staged. The Ali G movie is garbage. The Dictator isn't very good either.

Supposedly Sasha Baron Cohen has another new movie coming out with a new character that will be used in the same vein as the Ali G/Borat/Bruno characters.
Yeah, things felt way more natural in the tv shows. Also, it's always hard to translate a tv show based around a bunch of short skits into a full length movie.

The most memorable parts of the Borat movie were that gross fight between Borat and his friend naked in a hotel, and that part where Borat sang Kazakhstan's supposed national anthem at the rodeo

Another movie?! Is the guy still playing these sort of characters? It's kinda getting old by now, no?