The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Video Game Discussion

Notices

Old 03-21-2013, 07:42 AM   #341
CyberCubed
Overlord

Unlockable skins (without it being DLC) would probably be the only way I'd play the games. Anything that gets rid of that awful nostril look.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #342
Zulithe
Ninjutsu Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatello19 View Post
I'll just leave this here:
Yeah saw that on IGN... The turtle faces are still my least favorite aspect. Its mostly the nostrils for me... they usually aren't shown or are understated. But on these they stand out. It's different, and I'm trying to get used to it.

But as you can see from the gameplay footage, you don't have to stare at their faces close-up all the time so it's not much of an issue Overall their bodies look really good. Not like that... sickos.

I hope their faces animate well with the voice acting. I don't think they've talked about the voices... praying for Nick voices but yeah, not holding my breath there.
Zulithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #343
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Big pics:

Raph
Spoiler:

Mikey:
Spoiler:

Leo:
Spoiler:

Donnie:
Spoiler:

Informative little interview to go with those pics:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/21/412...-sophisticated

EDIT:
I'll just copy/paste...

Quote:
When Red Fly Studios' Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows releases this summer, players will be able to experience a grittier take on the Turtles and an in-depth fighting system that hasn't been seen in any TMNT game before it, according to lead designer Chris Frechette.

In an interview with Polygon, Frechette demoed a pre-alpha build of Out of the Shadows and walked us through Red Fly's take on the TMNT universe.

"I wanted to make a Turtles game that a 30-year old gamer who grew up watching TMNT would relish and say, 'This is what I remember, this is awesome," Frechette says. "The game is inspired by the Nickelodeon cartoon (which is currently in its first season on television) but it's basically our take on this fiction and this new incarnation of the Turtles: What would it look like in a realistic, more gritty setting?"

Frechette says that when Activision approached the studio to work on the licensed gamed, the team at Red Fly saw an opportunity to make the Turtles game they'd always wanted to play. As avid TMNT fans themselves, they didn't want to carelessly throw together a licensed game: they wanted to create something that did the brand justice.

"Red Fly wanted to play on one of the biggest strengths of the brand: the Turtles themselves."

According to Frechette, the studio approached the game with the intention of bringing out the personalities of each turtle through their fighting styles. Rather than have four turtles that look the same, act the same and play the same, Red Fly wanted to play on one of the biggest strengths of the brand: the Turtles themselves.

"They each have different physiques — Donnie's the tallest, Mikey's the smallest, Raph's kind of the brute, Leo's a bit of an all-rounder — and we've gone a step further by bringing their personalities into combat," he says. "For example, Donatello is the slowest of the turtles, but he's got the the most reach, so when he's twirling his staff he can hit multiple enemies. He's great for composed players and his style actually has a bit of a kung fu influence to it."

Every character has a different move set, with each turtle having up to 70 unique attacks. The timing of a attack will also determine how it is executed, and whether a player is attacked from the front or behind will determine how a defensive move is pulled off.

Frechette cites Batman: Arkham Asylum as a source of inspiration. He says the team incorporated some elements of Arkham's battle system of balancing offense with defense and the timing of attacking and counter-attacking. The studio also looked to more traditional fighting games for inspiration, particularly for counter-attacks and special attacks.

"It could have been so easy to give them all the same moves," Frechette says. "But since they don't have your typical classes like a tank or a paladin, they don't necessarily have roles. They're all ninjas. They can all hold their own. It's more about how they hold their own."

Frechette says that by giving each turtle a "unique flavor," when the four characters play together it brings an interesting dynamic to the battles. The game allows for up to four-player co-op, and when there are fewer than four players the AI will take control of the remaining Turtles. In single-player mode, players can swap between Turtles using the D-Pad. Every character can be utilized in the team, and when all the Turtles are working together they can chain combos and finishing moves.

""They're all ninjas. They can all hold their own. It's more about how they hold their own.""

"For example, I could launch a guy into the air and now you go after him and slam him down," Frechette says. "So there's push and pull, like I'm giving you an opportunity to do something awesome, and we're working together as a team with a unified goal. It was a lot of fun to plan and design."

Frechette says it's important for all four Turtles to be present in the campaign mode because that's when they're at their best. They fight together, taunt together and perform special team attacks together (at one point, players can connect with Raphael to perform the bowling ball maneuver seen in the original movie). Players won't get the best result if they button mash – there's a sophistication to the fighting system and, once they understand the system, the rest will flow like kung fu.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows is a downloadable title coming to Windows PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this summer. The game's official trailer can be viewed above.
Tracey Lien @ Polygon.com

Last edited by chrisdude; 03-21-2013 at 09:48 AM.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #344
TurtleGuy
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Yeah. Paying for a quality service. What a crazy idea.
For me it's a matter of principle. I already pay for internet service. I'm not gonna buy a service just so I can have the privilege of using Netflix(which I'd also have to pay for on top of that), Hulu(ditto), or even friggin' Youtube.

I don't play online gaming that much(maybe once or twice a month) but I DO like to looking at Youtube videos on TV. Live would ultimately be a waste of money on a guy like me.
TurtleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #345
Allio
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdude View Post
Big pics:
Donnie:
Spoiler:
"Hey April"
Old 03-21-2013, 09:54 AM   #346
the fixer
Hench Mutant

Thanks for the big pictures, Chrisdude!

Well, those models are sure looking a LOT better!
What a little 'implementation of the facial animation system' can't do...

The nostrils are still there but they never really bothered me. They fit with the realistic designs. Even more so now.
And hey- A Turtle's gotta smell!

Lookin' good, Red Fly... Can't wait till september...

the fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #347
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Yeah, I think a lot of prayers are being answered. And, at the risk of 100 'I told you so's, I've totally flipped my opinion on this game.

Gameplay vid with commentary, from IGN:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/03/20...lay-commentary

Last edited by chrisdude; 03-21-2013 at 10:13 AM.
chrisdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #348
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Yeah, I think a lot of prayers are being answered. And, at the risk of 100 'I told you so's, I've totally flipped my opinion on this game.

Let's not go crazy and act like the game is gonna be great guaranteed from a bigger video.

Nobody has played the game yet so we have no idea if any of their ideas work at all.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #349
chrisdude
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stryker View Post
Let's not go crazy and act like the game is gonna be great guaranteed from a bigger video.

Nobody has played the game yet so we have no idea if any of their ideas work at all.
It was really the interview that influenced my opinion, but I hear ya.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #350
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

The fighting seems decent, but hopefully that's not all to it. I hope there are platforming sections or something like that.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #351
BMo
Foot Soldier

I have to say with the new footage and character renders my opinion has definitely changed to cautiously optimistic!

I am really happy though to be able to say that I was WRONG and that this game doesn't look to be total crap and the art style is actually quite charming.

Here is hoping it's not just one boring alley way after another with fight then fight then fight and the game turns out to be really enjoyable.
BMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #352
Panda_Kahn_fan
Mad Scientist

Seeing how this is our first game in the Post-Mirage era, could somebody please suggest to these guys we get some classic, per-this universe's bosses in here- like bebop, Rocksteady, Slash, Groundchuck, or Dirtbag?

IDW is the best version of TMNT

If they make a TMNT reboot movie retelling the shredder battle/origin, I won't buy a ticket.
Panda_Kahn_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:27 PM   #353
Shreddhead
Mad Scientist

Quote:

Ahh thanks for posting this video! I read the interview but i couldnt find the gameplay. And with the possibility of unlockable weapons/skins, this in the only game im actually looking forward to right now

Shreddhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #354
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

Now that I've seen the new pictures of the turtles, I'm convinced that these are the designs that will be used for the new movie.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #355
Ninja Tiptup
Mad Scientist

Gameplay looks fun. My expectations have increased.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:52 PM   #356
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cure View Post
The fighting seems decent, but hopefully that's not all to it. I hope there are platforming sections or something like that.
much like the older TMNT games

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM   #357
The Stryker
Stupid Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
much like the older TMNT games
What are you talking about? The old games are nothing but moving to the right and hammering the attack button.

@~<3 Mom~@
The Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 04:13 PM   #358
Donatello19
Merchandise Maniac

New full body shots: (They're feet look so weird...)

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Raph looks the best out of them IMO.
Donatello19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 PM   #359
BabyTurtles
Foot Elite

they had me at Batman inspired

I'm so glad Donnie still has his gap!
and how does Mikey still manage to look cute even in this realistic style??

Last edited by BabyTurtles; 03-21-2013 at 05:09 PM.
BabyTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 05:12 PM   #360
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

Only two toes? That's it, I'm out.

Tags
video games