The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 01-28-2020, 05:34 PM   #461
Sumac
Foot Elite

I've watched it and I can say - it is bad.

WARNING: CONTAINS OPEN SPOILERS

Actors are good and they acting relatively well, given the material, but every other thing in this movie is just horrid. I liked Grace - she was genuinely cool and probably the closest thing to Kyle Reese from T1. It is sad that her character was wasted o this pile of crap. Sarah was nice, though I hardly can imagine that she was able to stay sane after death of John. Dani was not bad, but hardly believable as a future leader of resistance. This scene in a future with her was pretty bad. Carl was funny, but I think writers went to fat, trying to humanize terminator. I can't believe that his wife never figured out that there was something "off" with him, considering that he doesn't eat, drink, sleep, goes to toilet and so on. Rev 9 was cool, it was the best evil terminator since T1000. Once again a wasted casting.

Story is a mess, where a lot of parts are not explained or explained poorly. It brings nothing new to the table, while simultaneously ruining one of the core ideas of the franchise as a whole. It seems it was written in two minutes on a piece of a napkin without any additional passes.

Special effects and camera work are bad and similar to the TV series of 2000s, especially in the beginning. Constant slo-mo during action scenes to make them more epic made them look cheap and awkward.

Action scenes were over the top and feel like something from a generic blockbuster, not terminator-like at all. And of course our human heroes suffered very little or not at all.

All in all, it felt like rushed and unpolished idea, which was never properly thought out. There are some interesting ideas, but they are buried under such big piles of crap, it is hard to see or appreciate them.

TG was better.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:59 PM   #462
CyberCubed
Overlord

I really enjoyed Sarah Conner in the film, her whole, "I don't give a crap" personality worked really well.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 09:38 AM   #463
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
I really enjoyed Sarah Conner in the film, her whole, "I don't give a crap" personality worked really well.
Indeed, but as I said, I hardly can imagine her staying sane after John's death. He is basically all her world and very meaning of existence.
But that's just one of the many problems of this movie.

I wonder, where was Cameron during the filming? I've read he had a "fight" with director about story, but couldn't he see that it was a pile of crap? Or he just shrugged and whatever'd?
Old 01-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #464
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
Indeed, but as I said, I hardly can imagine her staying sane after John's death. He is basically all her world and very meaning of existence.
Me, too. I believe she'd just say "f*** it," at that point.

Quote:
I wonder, where was Cameron during the filming?
Not on set, not even once. He's said so.

Quote:
I've read he had a "fight" with director about story, but couldn't he see that it was a pile of crap? Or he just shrugged and whatever'd?
In the editing room there was fighting.

To me, it sounds like... well, remember Terminator: Salvation? When McG tried to get Cameron's blessing, and even some input? Cameron said he would be delighted to, but wanted to be paid to do so (which is when McG ran away). In the case of "Dark Fate," it sounds like this time they actually paid him, but it doesn't amount to much more than notes/"input" that the director could heed or ignore during filming and then some actual final say in the editing room afterward.

I believe his role in "Dark Fate" is wildly exaggerated. We know that none of those ideas were his and I suspect he only had opinions about how to best execute them.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:05 PM   #465
Sumac
Foot Elite

And then his input was promptly ignored. Or at least it looks like it.

Also, I must admit, I didn't see much "feminist pandering" in this movie. I liked to see three female leads as main heroines of the movie, but sadly it was wasted on this pile of crap.

Besides, even if Dani was replaced with Daniel, the main idea of this movie still would be the same and it still would've been ****.
Old 01-29-2020, 03:18 PM   #466
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Just such a waste. The entire saga, even just T1 and T2: "None of that matters anymore. It's a whole different SkyNET with a different name that happened all differently, not connected to anything before at all."

So who even cares, then? What are we left to look forward to? Unraveling the mystery of how LEGION came to be?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:49 AM   #467
ZariusTwo
Overlord

Linda is happy to never return.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...odreporter_tie
ZariusTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #468
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
That's fine, she doesn't have anything to worry about. Nobody is going to be making Terminator 7 with or without her anytime in the remotely foreseeable future thanks to her last movie.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #469
AquaParade
Big Boss

I share her thoughts that they need to go small. Much smaller. Indie sensibilities. Pitch it to the studio as the next “Joker“.

This constant chasing of bombast has only led to failure. It’s understandable to try and mimic T2, all things considered, but it’s the prequel that should be the North Star. Or branch off of T1 in a completely different way than T2 and really surprise us. Just stop trying to recreate the energy of T2.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #470
CyberCubed
Overlord

I still see all the Terminator movies past T2 as one part of a huge alternate timeline discrepency by Skynet constantly sending Terminators back in time and Kyle Reese going back as well. Every time we get a new Terminator movie it feels like another side affect of time travel in an alternate universe.

I damn near forgot in Genysis that John Conner got turned into a cyborg Terminator synth in the movie. And Kyle Reese lives and just stays in the past living with a young Sarah Conner. What a weird timeline that was.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #471
oldmanwinters
Overlord

As much as I love T2, even that movie has a ridiculous premise that Skynet... in desperation facing the last battle against the human resistance... sent two Terminator units back in time (with precious little historical records available). The first unit being a supposedly cutting-edge Cyberdine Systems Model 101 T-800 (which Kyle Reese said was a remarkable culmination of their infiltration units), and the second being a crazy advanced prototype T-1000 whose abilities were light-years beyond the cutting-edge CS Model 101 infiltrator. In their desperation, Skynet could only afford to send those two terminator units back in time to specify locales and times where the general residency of Sarah and John Connor were a matter of publicly known record.

Moments later, the Resistance arrives and is able to discern the aftermath of Skynet's last ditch effort to preserve its own existence. John Conner has prepared Kyle Reese for this moment of destiny and sends him back to stop the cutting edge CS Model 101, along with the picture of his mother. But in order to stop the T-1000, the Resistance just so happens to have a re-programmed CS Model 101 ready and willing to following the T-1000 prototype back into the 1990s and secure the future a second time.

Beyond the first two movies, it turns out there might have been dozens of terminators (mostly that cutting edge CS Model 101 but also an occasional T-1000 or whatever), and yet the Resistance somehow fails to account for the murder of young John Connor in 1997. Oops.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #472
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanwinters View Post
and the second being a crazy advanced prototype T-1000 whose abilities were light-years beyond the cutting-edge CS Model 101 infiltrator.
Makes you wonder how they could even possibly lose the Future War with the T-1000.
Old 01-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #473
CyberCubed
Overlord

Was it ever made clear Skynet was always in L.A. or whatever? The whole world was destroyed so did John Conner just stop the U.S. branch of Skynet? How did they not know if there were multiple Skynets in China, Russia, Europe, Africa, etc?
Old 01-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #474
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Was it ever made clear Skynet was always in L.A. or whatever?
I think in the original timeline, yeah, before the first time travel. Back then it was hardware. As the timeline changed after the events of 2, it became software (T3) with hubs/server bases at different locations around the globe (Salvation) and then evolved into an actual being (Salvation AND Genisys).
Old 01-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #475
Candy Kappa
The Agenda of Existing

Quote:
I still see all the Terminator movies past T2 as one part of a huge alternate timeline discrepency by Skynet constantly sending Terminators back in time and Kyle Reese going back as well. Every time we get a new Terminator movie it feels like another side affect of time travel in an alternate universe.

I damn near forgot in Genysis that John Conner got turned into a cyborg Terminator synth in the movie. And Kyle Reese lives and just stays in the past living with a young Sarah Conner. What a weird timeline that was.
Genysis feels very much like a fanfic written by some dude sitting in his dorm, and that's whats fantastic about it
Candy Kappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #476
Sumac
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Just such a waste. The entire saga, even just T1 and T2: "None of that matters anymore. It's a whole different SkyNET with a different name that happened all differently, not connected to anything before at all."

So who even cares, then? What are we left to look forward to? Unraveling the mystery of how LEGION came to be?
Even Genesys was more interesting.
At least there was intriguing element with Skynet and whoever sent T800 playing speed chess with time travel.

Quote:
Makes you wonder how they could even possibly lose the Future War with the T-1000.
Supposedly Skynet could afford to create only one T1000.
On the other hand, he was capable of creating a lot of TX units, which are much more deadlier than T1000 in normal warfare.

Quote:
I think in the original timeline, yeah, before the first time travel. Back then it was hardware. As the timeline changed after the events of 2, it became software (T3) with hubs/server bases at different locations around the globe (Salvation) and then evolved into an actual being (Salvation AND Genisys).
Some comic books released before T2 had another AI from Russia called MIR (Peace). It worked together with Skynet apparently.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #477
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Its a time loop. No matter how many times they stop it. Another AI from a different company is created and it still becomes self aware.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:23 PM   #478
CyberCubed
Overlord

One day they'll make another Terminator movie that acknowledges all these split timelines and universes as a result of Skynet abusing their time machine. So basically everything is in continuity in its own weird way.

Too bad this will probably be Arnold's final Terminator movie though...
Old 01-30-2020, 06:27 PM   #479
TigerClaw
Mutant Tiger

Quote:
One day they'll make another Terminator movie that acknowledges all these split timelines and universes as a result of Skynet abusing their time machine. So basically everything is in continuity in its own weird way.

Too bad this will probably be Arnold's final Terminator movie though...
The Skynet from Genesys took on a humanoid form known as the T-5000.
https://terminator.fandom.com/wiki/Skynet/Genisys
Old 01-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #480
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
That's pretty much what Salvation and especially Genisys already did with SkyNET. It's always learning, after every movie.

Tags
adayinsidemillerthemovie, cuckwithmeifyouwanttolive, franchise is terminated, hasta la vista cis men, pappenbrooktriggered, terminator: woke fate, the future is female