The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 11-12-2020, 10:15 AM   #1
Coro
Mad Scientist

OK thats it- Lets talk about shopping Bots

I am tired of trying to buy things online nowadays and things selling out in fractions of a second. I have literally a stupid powerfull PC and insane internet connection (IT guy), but we all know we are losing to shopping bots. Today I tried to snag a PS5 and...well...you know how that went since I am here.

I havent seen any bots that work so far. It seems to go down a rabbit hole of possible malware ridden sites, and review sites that have unclickable links.

So...

Who knows a good shopping bot for NECA tmnt stuff and PS5s?

I wont be scalping, I just want a PS5 and Spiderman for less than $1000 (and NECA TMNT)

DISCUSS!

Last edited by Coro; 11-12-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Coro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
IMJ
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post

I am tired of trying to buy things online nowadays and things selling out in fractions of a second. I have literally a stupid powerfull PC and insane internet connection (IT guy), but we all know we are losing to shopping bots. Today I tried to snag a PS5 and...well...you know how that went since I am here.

I havent seen any bots that work so far. It seems to go down a rabbit hole of possible malware ridden sites, and review sites that have unclickable links.

So...

Who knows a good shopping bot for NECA tmnt stuff and PS5s?

I wont be scalping, I just want a PS5 Spiderman for less than $1000 (and NECA TMNT)

DISCUSS!
Well I think that it's safe to say the Spider-Man game will be easy to find over time. They continue to publish games, so fundamentally until a game is out of print there's no reason to pay inflated prices. Just wait for it.

As for NECA TMNT.... the problem is that none of us know the real supply. So Metal Head was sold out months ago and we all missed the boat, but now I see stories of Metal Head's popping up at Target. It's ridiculous. But then again, NECA never made the Casey 2-Pack available and I don't hear instances of those popping up anymore.

So it's the lack of information regarding real availability that's the problem. But in the instance of the games? Just wait it out, man.
IMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:01 AM   #3
AquaParade
Banned

It's always been a growing problem, but covid has certainly made it worse. At this point, I think it on outlets to start providing a method of sale that stops scalpers in their tracks. Sure, it's not really their problem, but customer service still matters to an extent and many people are growing weary of this lately.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #4
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Walmart is going to have a couple more batches of PS5s up for preorder today it looks like. Of course at least half of my Walmart preorders never amount to anything so you're definitely putting your faith in a pretty bad system. I haven't been keeping up with any of that stuff either so I don't know what the difference between a stock system and a Spider-Man bundle is.

As for NECA... it's a real crapshoot. The April and Rock Soldier bundles were pretty cake to get but then the Triceraton set only lasted 3-5 minutes I guess. Still, that's better than blink-and-you'll-miss-it like the others were, and they seem to be restocking and offering direct preorders at later dates. But yeah.. it's a messy system as well.

I don't know the first thing about bots but I believe LincolnHawk here is/was using one. You might end up spending more on the bot useage than you would on scalper fees though (at least for figures... the PS5, ouch).

Good luck!
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Coro
Mad Scientist

There isnt a bundle. I want the console...not sure how that got misunderstood.

Trying for the digital one, and its pissing me off.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:27 AM   #6
mikey see
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coro View Post
There isnt a bundle. I want the console...not sure how that got misunderstood.

Trying for the digital one, and its pissing me off.
It was misunderstood because you left out the word "and"...

If you want the digital one then why are you going after Spider-Man? Digital = no disc drive, right? I haven't been keeping up with this at all.

Anyway, you'll have a couple more shots at it this afternoon on Walmart.com.
mikey see is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #7
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey see View Post
It was misunderstood because you left out the word "and"...

If you want the digital one then why are you going after Spider-Man? Digital = no disc drive, right? I haven't been keeping up with this at all.

Anyway, you'll have a couple more shots at it this afternoon on Walmart.com.
The digital version can download the spiderman game...cmon now
The Walmart debacle will just be another repeat.

Also this is getting off track. This was created to discuss and locate shopping bots.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
xZAOx
Stone Warrior

Shopping bots are very expensive, and they have limited sales. They limit the sales because they know people are usually targeting the same items (sneakers kind of started this arms race), so they try to make sure the people buying it gets success.

The limited supply makes bots even *more* expensive.

They're priced so that only people scalping large quantities would find it valuable. It's not something you're going to get for a one-off case. Might as well just pay a scalper at that point.

However, regarding consoles....they'll be buyable soon enough. They're going to keep making them. NECA toys are definitely more frustrating, because we never know if they'll do more runs or not and increase supply. But video games and consoles? Yeah, more are coming.
xZAOx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #9
Coro
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xZAOx View Post
Shopping bots are very expensive, and they have limited sales. They limit the sales because they know people are usually targeting the same items (sneakers kind of started this arms race), so they try to make sure the people buying it gets success.

The limited supply makes bots even *more* expensive.

They're priced so that only people scalping large quantities would find it valuable. It's not something you're going to get for a one-off case. Might as well just pay a scalper at that point.

However, regarding consoles....they'll be buyable soon enough. They're going to keep making them. NECA toys are definitely more frustrating, because we never know if they'll do more runs or not and increase supply. But video games and consoles? Yeah, more are coming.

Im betting there wont be more before Xmas.

Everyone keeps saying "bots are expensive" or "bots wont work for this case".

I would like some actual info to look at instead of second hand hearsay.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #10
sdp
Megan Fox = April

I'll sell you a bot, PM for details.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #11
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Please let us know what you find out. Thought about this too. But then I had doctor bills. That combined with not finding anything I decided to table it and see if NECA does more preorders for some of the current releases in 2021.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Last edited by inaheap; 11-12-2020 at 03:41 PM.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
Last Ronin
Hench Mutant

Don't get me started on Bots...
Last Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 05:31 PM   #13
italianice388
Stone Warrior

if you guys end up botting you better robin hood some of that **** for the rest of us
italianice388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #14
inaheap
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianice388 View Post
if you guys end up botting you better robin hood some of that **** for the rest of us
Probably won't end up botting; especially anytime soon. But you better believe if I do I will be passing the good fortune on to my fellow collectors.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing

When I became an adult I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
inaheap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:54 AM   #15
Coro
Mad Scientist

So what I’ve gathered so far is that they have to be written by coders for specific websites and for specific products. It sounds like they have a base set of code that gets modified for each bot that you install as a chrome extension. Some of them ask you to drop a URL into a box.

So far buying one has been anywhere from 75$ to 400$ for a single setup, which means 1 item on one site. (But it sounds like big box stores are considered 1 site-Walmart, target, etc).

I still can’t get past the part of buying something over the internet for 200$ with nothing more than a “trust me” level of seller protection. Some even will only use cash app, and there’s no way to protect yourself there. At least paypal would offer some support (which some use).

Basically I can’t bring myself to do it for NECA products because of the cost and the 70$ bots are all on shady as hell sites written in broken English.

Anyone know of a bot that you have used and will recommend?

Old 11-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #16
Coro
Mad Scientist

So what I’ve gathered so far is that they have to be written by coders for specific websites and for specific products. It sounds like they have a base set of code that you install as a chrome extension. Some of them ask you to drop a URL into a box.

So far buying one has been anywhere from 75$ to 400$ for a single setup, which means 1 item on one site. (But it sounds like box box stores are considered 1 site-Walmart, target, etc).

I still can’t get past the part of buying something over the internet for 200$ with nothing more than a “trust me” level of seller protection. Some even will only use cash app, and there’s no way to protect yourself there. At least paypal would offer some support (which some use).

Basically I can’t bring myself to do it for NECA products because of the cost and the 70$ bots are all on shady as hell sites written in broken English.

Anyone know of a bit that you have used and will recommend?