The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > 4Kids TMNT Cartoon Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the 2003 series is under-appreciated?
Yes, I do think its under-appreciated 107 88.43%
No, it has enough credit/meh I dont care for it 14 11.57%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2016, 05:15 PM   #81
Powder
So tired of this place

In NY it was on Fox all the way through 'till the spin-off seasons which were on CW.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #82
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Ok found it. Foxbox was on Fox, but the TMNT was never on Fox. The moved to UPN rather quickly. Then they switched the name to 4Kids at some point.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #83
Ramboraph4life aka Matt
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
All the episodes are online...somewhere. Multiple sites even.

If you guys want to watch the show but don't own any of the old 4kids DVDs, you have plenty of ways to watch it.
In other words, by 'technically' illegal ways.

The 2003 show shouldn't have to be 'watched in technically illegal ways'. It deserves a bit more than that.

And to further prove it...this whole 'Nick & 80's cartoon crossover' that is currently on all of the news sites?

Everyone in the Public/Mainstream Media act like Turtles Forever never happened, and that this is some 'Brand/New/Once in a LifeTime' thing.

Which it isn't.

Oh, and of course Turtles Forever got a crappy as hell DVD release from Nick, too. Crappy format/picture ratio, terrible/lame cover, and footage missing...you have to buy the DVD from OVERSEAS to get A Better Cover, Proper Aspect Ratio, and the missing scenes put back into it. That's yet ANOTHER example of how unappreciated this show is...

Even the damn LAST Season has never been released in the United States. You think that's ever going to happen to Nick's Love Child aka the current one? No. Or the 'Golden Egg aka the 80's cartoon'? No (even with the bull of 'well, we can't find certain episodes'...they still eventually released all of the episodes of the 80's cartoon).

Just to the 2003 one. Of all of the Turtles media, it is definitely The Underdog.
Ramboraph4life aka Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:15 PM   #84
Turtle-X
Foot Soldier

the series is under appreciated and overlooked. sure, it had a ton of action figures, video games and other merch when the series was on tv. its status now is like Extreme Ghostbusters. hardcore fans know of it, some love it. the general public has already forgot about it.
Turtle-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 AM   #85
CyberCubed
Overlord

The funny thing is ratings for the Nick cartoon nowadays aren't much higher than the 2k3 series in its prime.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:58 AM   #86
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The funny thing is ratings for the Nick cartoon nowadays aren't much higher than the 2k3 series in its prime.
I guess that's what happens when the show is on Nickelodeon rather than an obscure Saturday morning timeslot on FOX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:54 PM   #87
yeahduderad
Thug

The 2k3 show was the closest we will get to a mirage type animated series, its amazing, well most of it
yeahduderad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #88
Galactus
Foot Elite

In some ways it's very under-appreciated by being so overlooked in the public consciousness but I do think it's the most influential version yet.

While the Nickelodeon series markets itself as embracing the old toon characters and concepts I've long felt that it had more in common with the 2k3 show down to some very specific similarities. Even the movie (for it's many faults) seemed to be visually draw a lot from show such as the turtles being bigger and Shredder's armor was clearly inspired by Ch'rell's sadly they put those designs through a Bay-filter but it's there. Even the truck in upcoming sequel has elements of the second Battle Shell and the Hauler from Back to the Sewers.

I was quite happy that when Nickelodeon re-aired the show in marathons the response I saw online from younger fans of the current series was favorable. Of course I don't expect Nickelodeon to do much with the series while they have their own on air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turo602 View Post
Just because it had an amazing run doesn't mean it can't be overlooked. It still didn't have as big of an impact as the 87 series or even the current 2012 series. You can't honestly argue that TMNT in 2003 was as big or bigger than it was in the 80s, 90s, and even now. More people know who Krang, Bebop, and Rocksteady are and what the Technodrome is than they do Hun or Bishop regardless if they ended up in the comics. It may have done well enough to get by for seven seasons but it was never this huge hit of a cartoon series. The show was even going down in ratings during season 4 which is why they skipped season 5 and went straight into Fast Forward. By then, they were just trying to salvage the series. Even when the show was still on air and new merchandising was announced, it was covered in OT Turtles.
I feel compelled to point the ratings for the current show aren't exactly huge either although I'd put that more on it's very weird schedule last season more than a genuine lack of interest.

In terms of it being more known the Nick series has come at a time were not only fans who grew up with the '87 series have kids of their own or just simply old enough to feel nostalgic. It's also come at a time that there's so many different heavily trafficked media sites that cover shows like this. I mean IGN reviews every episode.

There are people that probably more knowledgeable of this than me and can correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly but the main reason for skipping Season 5 and attempting to re-brand the show was due to toy sales.

In this case toys associated with the '03 series sold very well for two years, much better than Playmates had anticipated which caused them to get stars in their eyes and think turtlemania was coming again. the result was they more than doubled their output but the extra stock wasn't moving and after a while retailers grew incredibly angry at unsold TMNT stuff clogging their shelves thus causing everyone involved to try and 'fix' TMNT by doing things like Fast Forward.

Last edited by Galactus; 03-16-2016 at 12:43 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #89
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactus View Post
While the Nickelodeon series markets itself as embracing the old toon characters and concepts I've long felt that it had more in common with the 2k3 show down to some very specific similarities.
What similarities do you have in mind? As far as I can tell, the only things that make them alike are mutually borrowed from Mirage.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 PM   #90
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What similarities do you have in mind? As far as I can tell, the only things that make them alike are mutually borrowed from Mirage.
I think the two big ones are Donatello's crush on April and it being somewhat reciprocated. I know Ciro denied that this was based on the '03 show and said he had never watched it and we know were originally going to have Raphael be the one to crush on April but I struggle with it being shifted to Donatello coming from nowhere. At very least I think they must have read or heard about the 2k3 series Don having a unique bond with April.

The second big one I think is Karai being Shredder's adopted daughter. Likewise they've put their own spin on it but this is the one I really have a hard time believing it wasn't based on the '03 series. Even the idea the relationship with her and Leo seems to come I think is largely based on what she had with him in the 4kids series.

The boosted role of the Purple Dragons and them being connected to the Foot I think is another specific one.

Even the characterization of the turtles themselves and how they interact with each other seems more like the '03 played things than Mirage, Fred Wolf or the live action movies. like how Michelangelo is characterized as playfully annoying and for his brothers particularly Raph to lightly hit or chase him.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:28 PM   #91
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

The usage of the Purple Dragons is the only other thing I can say that was probably borrowed from 2K3. Before then they were pretty obscure and just a one off gang. But they don't utilize them as well as 2K3 did sadly...
Old 03-15-2016, 11:41 PM   #92
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Spoiler:
I think the two big ones are Donatello's crush on April and it being somewhat reciprocated. I know Ciro denied that this was based on the '03 show and said he had never watched it and we know were originally going to have Raphael be the one to crush on April but I struggle with it being shifted to Donatello coming from nowhere. At very least I think they must have read or heard about the 2k3 series Don having a unique bond with April.

The second big one I think is Karai being Shredder's adopted daughter. Likewise they've put their own spin on it but this is the one I really have a hard time believing it wasn't based on the '03 series. Even the idea the relationship with her and Leo seems to come I think is largely based on what she had with him in the 4kids series.

The boosted role of the Purple Dragons and them being connected to the Foot I think is another specific one.

Even the characterization of the turtles themselves and how they interact with each other seems more like the '03 played things than Mirage, Fred Wolf or the live action movies. like how Michelangelo is characterized as playfully annoying and for his brothers particularly Raph to lightly hit or chase him.
Pretty fair points, I guess I hadn't realized it did make it's mark after all. Totally forgot about the Karai element. I don't really consider Don/April's thing a crush in the 4kids series, though. There's affection there, but not of a romantic nature. Ciro had said the decision to switch turtles was due to the chemistry Mae & Rob had riffing in early reads/sessions, IIRC.

Old 03-16-2016, 05:49 AM   #93
LeotheLateBloomer
Foot Elite

Quote:

Pretty much this.

I remember reading that they were going to have either Raph or all of the turtles have a crush on April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technogeek29 View Post
The usage of the Purple Dragons is the only other thing I can say that was probably borrowed from 2K3. Before then they were pretty obscure and just a one off gang. But they don't utilize them as well as 2K3 did sadly...
To be fair, the Purple Dragons weren't utilized much in Mirage either but they were always minor, as far as I can recall.

Quote:
Pretty fair points, I guess I hadn't realized it did make it's mark after all. Totally forgot about the Karai element. I don't really consider Don/April's thing a crush in the 4kids series, though. There's affection there, but not of a romantic nature. Ciro had said the decision to switch turtles was due to the chemistry Mae & Rob had riffing in early reads/sessions, IIRC.
Pretty much. I never understood why people believed that there was a crush in the 4Kids series.
LeotheLateBloomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:57 AM   #94
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
In a sort of unintentional way aside from borrowing from Mirage, they're structured in a more similar manner.

Sure, the Nickelodeon cartoon may have some superficial similarites with the Fred Wolf cartoon, such as reusing a bunch of old toy characters that appeared in that show. On the other hand, the Fred Wolf cartoon was an episodic comedy where barely anything of relevance ever happened, the fight scenes were mostly just slapstick and you were very rarely ever meant to take anything seriously.

The similarities to the 2003 show (intentional or not) are more deep rooted. Both make use of an ongoing storyline, much more dramatic moments, world building, mysteries, plot twists, decent fight scenes, darker atmosphere (at times at least) etc.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:57 AM   #95
Galactus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeotheLateBloomer View Post
Pretty much. I never understood why people believed that there was a crush in the 4Kids series.
Based on what you see in the show it's pretty debatable. Certainly official material from 4kids said that they had a close brother/sister relationship but then it would say that as I think they didn't want to walk the line of suggesting something inappropriate.

I remember a fan asked Dan Berger whether what fans saw as romantic feelings from Don was intentional or seeing what they want to see and he replied back it was intentional. I'd say there were some definite moments that you could see what they were going for.
Old 03-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #96
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

Yeah Donnie didn't seem to have a crush on April so much as he was sort of affectionate towards her and felt a connection (through their mutual technological prowess) and admiration. 2012 Donnie is just kinda obsessed.
Old 03-16-2016, 10:05 PM   #97
Diorm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The 2003 series at least aired in France (and in French in Québec, Canada) https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Les_To...nimation,_2003)
Yes it did. It was on Télétoon. A well known channel for cartoon. I was awair of it but only watched it when it was over. Out of the three (four?) tv show, I got to say that its my favorite, storywise.
Diorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #98
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

@Galactus

Leatherhead and Mikey having a kinship. Expanded upon more so in 2k12 but Mikey the first one to befriend him was something I first saw in 2k3.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:34 PM   #99
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahduderad View Post
The 2k3 show was the closest we will get to a mirage type animated series
Which is unfortunate, since it was pretty ****ing far away from that.
Andrew NDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #100
TMNTInsighter
Banned

I think so. The voice actors did a fantastic job, they may be the best ensemble of the turtles I've ever seen. I like that the 2012 series is a good, if not perfect, mix of 1987 and 2003 but I'd still take 2003 for its performances, tone, and writing.
TMNTInsighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2k3 series, channelmadness