The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

Old 07-04-2018, 02:19 AM   #1
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Insomnia/Sleeping Advice

Hello, everyone.

As I focus more on myself health-wise, I've been noticing a really irritating thing happening for the past week now. Lately, I haven't been sleeping until mid-morning. If I had to estimate, the latest was 6 AM yesterday. Normally, I fall asleep about 10 to 11 PM, but not so much now.

I am not sure if it's due to the summer heat or something else, but I could really use some advice. I really don't like not being able to sleep and being awake for a lot of the night. Whether it be insomnia or something else entirely, I'm not sure.

If you have any advice (yes, I will be visiting a doctor in a few days), feel free to PM me or respond. I could use all the help I could get.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:39 AM   #2
Ulisa
Foot Soldier

Sorry to hear of your sleep problems. Those are the worst! I definitely think seeing a doctor is a good idea as one of the first things you want to do is rule out any physical ailment or change.

Outside of that, routine tends to help. Going to bed and getting up at the same time each day (or having a set number of days for a certain time) will help get your body in sync.

Try eliminating caffeine, if you drink any, at least 4 hours before you want to go to sleep, longer if you can. If you're aiming to go to bed at around 10-11, you probably want to cut off the caffeine by 6.

Try eliminating any screen time an hour before bed. The light produced by phones, tablets, computers, etc. stops the production of melatonin which is one of the main chemicals that makes you sleepy. If possible, only use your bedroom for sleeping. If you read/play games, etc. try doing it outside of the bedroom as that will make your mind associate the bed only with sleep.

They make melatonin supplements that really help some people. I take some myself every night before I go to bed. I've also recommended lavender oil to help people relax--a few drops rubbed on the temple or they have some spray that some people use on their pillows and sheets.

Meditation can be really helpful too. Sometimes our bodies get so tensed up that it can be helpful to "reset" them to relax mode. There's an exercise called Progressive Muscle Relaxation that works really well for some folks. Starting from your head down to your feet, you tense up a group of muscles (per example, starting with the muscles in your face) and make them as tense as you can stand and hold them for about 10-20 seconds then release. Then you move to the next set of muscles, so on and so forth. The idea is to remind your body what 'relaxed' feels like.

I wish you luck! Hope you find a regime that works!
Ulisa is offline   Reply With Quote