The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Movie Discussion

Notices

Old 07-28-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Super Shredder: What Is He?

So Secret of The Ooze had The Shredder get knocked into a vial of mutagen. He turned into a hulking monster instead of an animal. Was it because we don't know the rules for that universe and if a human touches mutagen he/she does not mutate into a humanoid animal, but a steroid brute?

Also, the costume how did it change the way it did, was it the mutagenic properties?

The assuming steroid-like effect makes him a mindless brute and he sees this as his only chance to kill the TMNT by committing suicide dropping the pier on himself? Not even a fight, just picking up Leonardo and throwing him. That is it. The sequence never made much sense.

It was a cool visual and gave him a video game upgrade, but that was it.

Last edited by MikeandRaph87; 06-21-2020 at 04:39 PM.
MikeandRaph87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:06 PM   #2
neatoman
Emperor

Alright, first off the Ooze as depicted by Mirage, 4Kids, Image, these early movies, the basic version of it in IDW and the version of it in the first PD movie turns animals more humanoid. There's no implication that human DNA is required for this effect, no matter what you splash it on it'll always take on a larger bipedal form with increased intelligence. As human beings already match the form, it makes sense you wouldn't change in that regard, thus leaving the intelligence and size. So the size part makes sense, what's kind of ambigious is the intelligence. While watching this scene, you might come to the conclusion that he has lost some of his intellect (which would be the opposite of what happened to everyone else) but he still depicted as being able to speak coherently, so that might not be the case.

Most of what's going on here does makes make sense with the established rules so I don't really have a problem with it. Not sure about the clothes though...
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #3
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Would've worked out far better if there was a bit of a time lapse after Shredder got hit with the BOOM and got exposed to the ooze. Like, they thought he was dead right there and/or couldn't find a body. Then they're celebrating later on and there comes SuperShredder, presumably with armor he's had time to make for his new hulking body.

As is, dumb. There is no explaining it.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:15 PM   #4
FredWolfLeonardo
Big Blue Boy Scout

From what we got in the 2nd film, I got the impression that Super Shredder was even more fragile than his normal form, since all it took to kill him was a pile of falling wood.

So if he had actually fought the turtles, perhaps we would've seen that despite giving him increased physical strength, the mutagen actually made him more vulnerable.

Shredder could've done more than blow up the Channel Six building. I don't mean as far as murdering Splinter, but think of the possibilities if censors were not an issue.

Shredder and Krang combined had the biggest arsenal of any villains in all of the cartoons.

Last edited by FredWolfLeonardo; 07-28-2019 at 06:20 PM.
FredWolfLeonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:59 PM   #5
CyberCubed
Overlord

Shredder was clearly knocked over by a pillar as seen in the movie and then "all that stuff on top" as Raph put it. It's not that hard to see why he died.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 09:23 PM   #6
sdp
-

They just didn't want to have him die in a way they couldn't bring him back. His death was ambiguous enough that they could've said he survived and been in TMNT III. I'm surprised they didn't do that. Hell I'm surprised they didn't have an "ancient" shredder in TMNT III.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:34 AM   #7
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Shredder didn't touch the utagen, he swallowed it which may have affected his mutation different.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 PM   #8
Prowler
Emperor

I know Super Shredder was silly and all, but I have a soft spot for it and think it's a pretty cool concept.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They just didn't want to have him die in a way they couldn't bring him back. His death was ambiguous enough that they could've said he survived and been in TMNT III. I'm surprised they didn't do that.
They did, in NT:TNM. Just... far more sh**tily than we could've possible imagined, even back then.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

It looked like he turned into Bane from Batman & Robin(1997) in size and lower intelligence.

I can buy that the metal and costume material altered when exposed to it. Smarter or maintaining intellect? Dropping a pier on yourself is not the smartest way to ride yourself of your enemies. I feel cheated out of a cool fight sequence.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:38 PM   #11
Wildcat
Foot Elite

Ya Ooze ending was bad. I like Andrew’s idea thinking he’s dead and then he shows up in Super form.

My suspension of disbelief/plausibility is pretty high. I think a lot of things tend to work find even though others are really critical.

This was silly and rushed though. Maybe they had a budget or time issue and just wanted him in there.

I can buy him willing to sacrifice himself by crushing them all out of rage but it makes no sense that he would actually die being the only one in a super form.

They should have had his hand pop out or something as a cliffhanger to show he survived. That would have saved it from making zero sense.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #12
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
So Secret of The Ooze had The Shredder get knocked into a vial of mutagen. He turned into a hulking monster instead of an animal. Was it because we don't know the rules for that universe and if a human touches mutagen he/she does not mutate into a humanoid animal, but a steroid brute?
As stated here already I think this follows the idea that if affected by mutagen you develop into a hulking beast. It's like the Red Sky mutations without the Turtles needing to drink mutagen. But interestingly Shredder drank the vial of mutagen (if Leo is correct), or accidently injected himself with it when he got blown sky high. If it was his choice to take the mutagen it's interesting that Shredder was so annoyed with the TMNT he was willing to allow himself to be mutated as though that would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
They just didn't want to have him die in a way they couldn't bring him back. His death was ambiguous enough that they could've said he survived and been in TMNT III.
Shredder's hand came up afterwards and then fell meaning he looked pretty dead. Would have been interesting to see how they'd bring him back from that one.

Quote:
It looked like he turned into Bane from Batman & Robin(1997) in size and lower intelligence.

I can buy that the metal and costume material altered when exposed to it. Smarter or maintaining intellect? Dropping a pier on yourself is not the smartest way to ride yourself of your enemies. I feel cheated out of a cool fight sequence.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #13
Overlord

How about the original video games? As Super Shredder he would jump around, creating shockwaves with fire and ice.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
Shred87
Hench Mutant

What is he? a missed opportunity....
Shred87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #15
newhire13
Hench Mutant

I remember reading a TMNT 2 script where his clothes are ripped apart because he’s become so massive and where the turtles actually fight him. Definitely would have been nice to have both of those aspects.
newhire13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 05:27 AM   #16
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhire13 View Post
I remember reading a TMNT 2 script where his clothes are ripped apart because he’s become so massive and where the turtles actually fight him. Definitely would have been nice to have both of those aspects.
Are even his helmet and the rest of his metal armour ripped apart?
Old 08-12-2019, 06:47 AM   #17
***First of Two Latin Kings***
Will not be censored

The Dandelions didn't become humanoid. In the Fred Wolf or Nick 2012 universes, he would have taken on characteristics of the girl he was holding hostage, and Keno who kicked him
I can hear it now: "I'm sorry little April, I told you that if you didn't take good care of them I'd be taking them away. Now they are going to the lab to be abused for experimentation" (You could almost rewrite this as April caused the fire to get back at her father over it...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanadiandrome View Post
Powder I'd not defend him, that's just how he gets

International shipping assistance: DARTHCJJ@GMAIL.COM
***First of Two Latin Kings*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #18
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***First of Two Latin Kings*** View Post
The Dandelions didn't become humanoid.
Good point. Its like a mutagenic steroid.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:03 AM   #19
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
They should have had his hand pop out or something as a cliffhanger to show he survived. That would have saved it from making zero sense.
I always thought he would return in the third film (and team up with Krang), as at the time I thought no other villain could carry a TMNT film, only Fred Wolf episodes and Archie–Fleetway comics.
Old 08-13-2019, 03:43 PM   #20
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Good point. Its like a mutagenic steroid.
I like this idea! Mind if I borrow it?

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote