The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > TV and Movies

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Autbot_Benz
Hellblazer

Warner Brothers is in Development on a Justice League: Rebirth Film

While fans are excited to see Zack Snyder?s Justice League sometime in 2021 on HBO Max, Warner is looking forward to the future of the iconic team and it appears that they have huge plans to bring the super friends back to the big screen.

I?ve learned today that Warner Brothers has begun development on a Justice League: Rebirth film which is separate from the Snyder Cut and not a continuation of that Justice League story.

It?s all very early but it wouldn?t be surprising at all if they were to approach someone like JJ Abrams to direct (due to his overall deal at WB, his stature, and Bad Robot?s involvement in other DC projects), and they might even be interested in someone like Christina Hobson to write it. She?s already involved with Birds of Prey, Batgirl, and The Flash (which will soft-reboot the DC universe prior to this new Justice League). If something like that were to happen, it would position JJ Abrams and Christina Hobson as being DC?s version of Kevin Feige where they have a plan for the future of the DC film universe and will execute it.

There have been lots of previous rumors that WB would want JJ Abrams to take a crack at Superman, and a Justice League movie is right up his big budget blockbuster alley after conquering Star Trek and Star Wars. It?ll also be a big way for DC to establish that they?re serious about these characters and making them a success on the big screen. As the ?Rebirth? title hints, this will be a resurrection of Justice League and a reboot of sorts, which is again something JJ has experience with. I?m not saying he?s the one who?ll do it, but it?ll make a lot of sense if WB tried to get him for it.

Obviously this is going to be disappointing for one segment of the fanbase who had hoped that Zack Snyder?s Justice League on HBO Max would lead to a sequel to that and a continuation of that storyline, but Warner putting a new, separate, Justice League into development means they are moving on to a new future for the DCEU and it really does seem like they have a plan for it now.

https://dceumythic.com/2020/07/06/wa...-rebirth-film/
Old 07-06-2020, 03:53 PM   #2
Leo656
The Franchise

Abrams? Gross.

Anyone involved with BoP? Double-gross. No mystery what angle they'd be chasing with THAT one, putting her in charge of everything.

I've dreaded Abrams ever being let near another DC project ever since his godawful "Flyby" pitch - which even though it wasn't and most likely won't be used, it clearly illustrates why he's totally wrong for this stuff. When you bring a guy in and his first statement is, "So I don't think Krypton HAS to blow up," you got the wrong f*cking guy. And that was BEFORE all the movies to come out since, which prove that the guy's kind of a hack and a one-trick pony, given how badly he messed up Star Trek AND Star Wars. Of course, the idea of DC wanting their own "Kathleen Kennedy" doesn't sound any more enticing than letting Abrams onto it.

Typical WB: More Bad News Disguised As Good News. Abrams doesn't belong anywhere near a DC project, and neither does anyone who had a hand in BoP. Booooooooo. More bad decisions. See, they leak out a little rumor about a Keaton cameo, people get all jizz-y, and then these idiots think they can do anything and go back to making poor decisions. You can set your watch to it. Which is why when they do make a good decision, I don't sell it. Can't let 'em go thinking they're smart; far too much evidence to the contrary.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #3
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Warner Bros basically tried to run before they could walk and then fell flat on their face. Now, they've got on their feet and are now deciding to try it again.

They need to forget about team up movies. Get some solid stand-alone movies made first and get people's interests back in their favour. Then, take what people liked about those movies and then apply it to any shared universe movies down the road (if Superhero movies still hold audience's interests by then, that is)
Old 07-06-2020, 04:59 PM   #4
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Smells fake. No citations.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:56 AM   #5
Galactus
Foot Elite

If there was any movie franchise in history that could run before it could walk it was the DC movie universe. WB owns 100% of all their characters which includes two of the most well known characters in the history of media. They could have easily gone straight to a Justice League movie and people would have understood and accepted it.

The fact that Marvel who at the time only had the movie rights to their B and C list characters cranked out a billion dollar Avengers movie before WB could get a Justice League movie out has got to be one of the most embarrassing ball drops in the history of movies.

Still it happened and it left them to do their own version but one that was consciously creatively different to what the MCU was doing. That probably required set up to show what these world and characters were. Still two movies and then Justice League could have easily done. The problem was that the two movie set up for JL were pretty poor.

As for Abrams doing a Justice League movie I'm not sure I believe it and wouldn't really want it but there is definitely worse ideas. He did successfully relaunch Star Trek and Star Wars movie franchises and they while not for me they were acceptable starts.

Flyby was done at a time when Hollywood was pushing for new and different for the sake of different ideas when it came to these kinds of characters. I suspect now any DC movie helmed by him would be much more faithful to the source material even if it was ultra safe and blatant with nostalgia.

That's basically what I suspect we'll get with the next JL movie whoever it is by. While I'm normally an advocate of the idea that giving the audience what it wants isn't always necessarily giving the audience what it wants giving them Super Friends Live is probably the way to go at least for a start as a palette cleanser.

Last edited by Galactus; 07-08-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

At this point, with COVID-19 wreaking havoc on film production AND WB/DC continuing to be such a damn mess...

I don't think we're gonna see much of anything cohesive for a long, long time.

A Batman movie with Twilight guy, and Wonder Woman 2. I kinda feel like that's it for the next 2-3 years.

No Justice League. No Flash. Not even Aquaman 2.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:17 AM   #7
AquaParade
Banned

I hope they announce more projects that surprise me. I did not see "Joker" coming but it's one of my favorites now.

If they are going to continue the R-rated villain trend (which they likely will), I think Deathstroke has a lot of potential to be an awesome and unique film. Make it a hardcore action flick inspired by ''The Raid". We here that aspiration thrown around a lot, but it's never fully realized.

I'd also love to one day see a movie where someone besides Bruce takes up the mantle of the Batman. It has happened plenty of time in the comics, and I've always loved the "legacy" angle of characters. I'm not saying there is an easy way to do it, but I'd be open to ideas.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:57 PM   #8
AquaParade
Banned

It just hit me that Zack Snyder would have been absolutely perfect for a film adaption of "The Authority".
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:18 PM   #9
Galactus
Foot Elite

While I wouldn't go as far as to say he'd be perfect I'd be fine with him doing a Mirage inspired TMNT movie. Just hand him TMNT Vol. 1 - 11, Return to New York, Shades of Grey & City At War and watch him work.

Zack just never got into traditional super heroes and it's clear that while he did his research for the DCEU movies he doesn't 'get' it...or get it enough in the way that someone who marinated in super hero comics as kids would to reinterpret the material in an adult way.

But yeah the Authority. I could totally see him handling that.
Galactus is offline   Reply With Quote