The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #121
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
What did Whedon do again?
Allegedly slept with a bunch of young actresses he had power over in some capacity and cheated on his wife.

He also has a leaked Wonder Woman screenplay that has been described as being sexist and pervy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:01 PM   #122
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
Yeah I find that one hard to swallow. For one thing he came out as gay years ago so it would seem that any women making these allegations are barking up the wrong tree. And as for guys- isn't he in a long term relationship? (Not saying it negates the possibility xompketely but would certainly make it less likely.)
Here is the thread about it
Old 11-11-2017, 10:49 PM   #123
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
And hey, speaking of that, the inevitable happened and Eddie Berganza's been slapped with five harassment claims.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jtes/dc-com...JRv#.enor4RxYj

For those not in the know, Eddie Berganza is another one of those "open secrets".
Old 11-12-2017, 03:25 AM   #124
Hamato Yoshi
Stone Warrior

Sheen is No Saint , still I doubt hes into boys
Old 11-12-2017, 03:30 AM   #125
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel View Post
Allegedly slept with a bunch of young actresses he had power over in some capacity and cheated on his wife.

He also has a leaked Wonder Woman screenplay that has been described as being sexist and pervy.
Huh. But basically, Whedon didn't do any sexual harassment, assault, or pervy stuff or illegal stuff that all the others are being accused of?
Old 11-12-2017, 04:41 AM   #126
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook View Post
Then why not use it to the fullest extent?

If she really wants to achieve change, she should stop working with everyone that's ever been accused of taking advantage of people, whether through casting-couching and/or sexual misconduct (rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, etc.)

If she's not going to support Brett Ratner, she should stop collaborating with people like Joss Whedon and Ben Affleck as well. It's not "ideological purity"; it's owning up to your values and morals. It's making sure that change really does occur.

Publicly denounce them, then stop working with them.
On one hand you're right.

On the other - I think, we shouldn't hold position "****ed up once - ****ed up forever". Afterall, if those people have admitted to their wrongdoings and try to become better people as a result, we should give them a chance.
Of course, it depends on how hard their crime was and whether they genuinely trying to become better or just moving a hot air.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #127
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Huh. But basically, Whedon didn't do any sexual harassment, assault, or pervy stuff or illegal stuff that all the others are being accused of?
Given his role, all of the things you listed are debatable.
When someone in a position of power makes advances towards someone in their employ...the potential for coercion exists.

What may seem like 100% consent, isn't because of the power dynamic at play.

Now, these were accusations put out into the world by his now estranged ex-wife, so...there's that. But, he admits that he slept around with younger women...who he describes as "needy."
Which is pervy as hell, and not in the good fun way.

Quote:
Then why not use it to the fullest extent?

If she really wants to achieve change, she should stop working with everyone that's ever been accused of taking advantage of people, whether through casting-couching and/or sexual misconduct (rape, sexual assault, sexual harassment, etc.)

If she's not going to support Brett Ratner, she should stop collaborating with people like Joss Whedon and Ben Affleck as well. It's not "ideological purity"; it's owning up to your values and morals. It's making sure that change really does occur.

Publicly denounce them, then stop working with them.
Hey Papen, slow your roll.

And unless I missed something, you have the wrong Affleck.
Ben might be a cheating bell-end, but it's Casey that's the sexual harassing creeper.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 AM   #128
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Hey Papen, slow your roll.

And unless I missed something, you have the wrong Affleck.
Ben might be a cheating bell-end, but it's Casey that's the sexual harassing creeper.

Here's a comment I had/have posted in the Official Justice League Movie thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papenbrook
First, Joss Whedon's adultery was brought to light. Now, Ben Affleck's past sexual misconduct is coming to light.

WARNING: Viewer discretion is advised. Proceed with caution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autbot_Benz View Post
Get over What Affleck did already he apologized and Affleck would follow the lead of his friend Kevin Smith and donate the residuals of any of his Weinstein-backed films to Film Independent or to RAINN, an anti-sexual assault organization that runs the National Sexual Assault hotline.

Did he issue an apology to all of the victims?

If he didn't, then I think that his action is only saving his face (or particularly, his butt).
Old 11-12-2017, 08:11 AM   #129
sdp
Megan Fox = April

Whedon got bit by the very people he helped create
Old 11-12-2017, 08:17 AM   #130
NinjaPug
Foot Elite

There haven't been any allegations brought against Whedon by any victims, right?
Old 11-12-2017, 08:39 AM   #131
plastroncafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
It's true.
Earth had no women before Joss Whedon.
Quote:
Quote:
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
Old 11-12-2017, 08:47 AM   #132
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
I still remember the Twitter sh*tstorm over how he handled Black Widow's arc in Age of Ultron.

Some folks will never be satisfied, no matter how much you placate or kowtow to them. Whedon's made a career off of virtue signaling to women. I guess it was lucrative for a while, though.

Personally, I still haven't forgiven the guy for Alien: Resurrection.

Quote:
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.

Last edited by Spike Spiegel; 11-12-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:05 AM   #133
Sumac
Banned

Quote:
I still remember the Twitter sh*tstorm over how he handled Black Widow's arc in Age of Ultron.
One of the most idiotic outrages ever.

Quote:
Personally, I still haven't forgiven the guy for Alien: Resurrection.
He said his script was butchered. Knowing history of Alien franchise it might have been the case.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #134
Papenbrook
*The King of Nothing*

There's a video of Ben Affleck mocking people with cerebral palsy.

I just don't know how to describe it. I just ... don't know.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #135
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

Quote:
There's a video of Ben Affleck mocking people with cerebral palsy.

I just don't know how to describe it. I just ... don't know.
Are you sure you're not a troll account?

Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2017, 09:27 AM   #136
GoldMutant
Control Your Narrative

Quote:
Are you sure you're not a troll account?
She ain't lying, but it's old. It happened a little over a decade ago. Guess it's true, some people will do anything to defend their agenda.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/be...eo-1202587226/
Old 11-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #137
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Didn’t see that coming. I loved her in Smallville, though I only watched some episodes of the show. I guess she’s not the person I thought she was.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:27 AM   #138
newfan
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Didn’t see that coming. I loved her in Smallville, though I only watched some episodes of the show. I guess she’s not the person I thought she was.
The same can be said for people we know in life.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #139
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
He said his script was butchered. Knowing history of Alien franchise it might have been the case.
He said the script was intact, ending aside, the problem was everything else.

"It wasn't a question of doing everything differently, although they changed the ending; it was mostly a matter of doing everything wrong. They said the lines...mostly...but they said them all wrong. And they cast it wrong. And they designed it wrong. And they scored it wrong. They did everything wrong that they could possibly do. There's actually a fascinating lesson in filmmaking, because everything that they did reflects back to the script or looks like something from the script, and people assume that, if I hated it, then they’d changed the script...but it wasn’t so much that they’d changed the script; it’s that they just executed it in such a ghastly fashion as to render it almost unwatchable."

Which, I mean, if the underlying story was good, then sure. But it's not. Motivations are weak, the premise itself was not particularly good, the Newborn is just stupid - and would have been even dumber if he got what he wanted - and a bunch of the ideas themselves weren't up to snuff. I'm not sure you could have made that script good, especially if it's mostly intact as he suggests.

I think the annoying thing is that I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt, as screenplays and scripts can change a lot, even during film making, and the director and actors themselves play a large role in making it work, but he comes off so "not me" about it and ready to throw everyone under the bus it turns me off. Especially since the director is, as I recall, ashamed of the film and hasn't done another movie in the US since. Joss Whedon has a nasty habit of playing the blame game when it comes to his writing. He's once said that the one line of his that survived the rewrites to make it into the first X-Men film was fine, Halle Berry just delivered it poorly. Sure buddy.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:19 PM   #140
plastroncafe

I can't comment on the rest of this, but I think he's right about that X-Men line. It's the stereotypical Whedon quip that she recited with some very un-necessary gravitas.

But then, I'm already predisposed to not like her Storm, so there is that.
Quote:
Quote:
Closed Thread