The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Current Events

Notices

Old 08-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #21
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
The two of them had a mutual dislike of each other. Do you really want Trump to share his honest opinions of McCain now, right after his death?
Which makes it all the more absurd since others in the White House drafted that would be statement, not him.

Yes, he made a tweet, as pointed out by Jester, but it's hardly the same thing and hardly as respectful as the statement others in the White House wanted to release that supposedly actually gave praise of McCain's life and service. They did the work for him. The only job he had then was to just swallow his pride for just a moment and let it be and he couldn't even do that much.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:11 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

It's true. Trump can be a jerk quite a bit.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 05:25 PM   #23
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well, credit to him I guess, somewhat, as it seems he bent to pressure and spoke up. Hardly really says much about the man himself, but I suppose it's something. At least something more than just a tweeted condolence.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/polit...ath/index.html

Quote:
On Monday, President Donald Trump released the following statement regarding the death of Republican Sen. John McCain:

Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain's service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment.

I have asked Vice President Mike Pence to offer an address at the ceremony honoring Senator McCain at the United States Capitol this Friday.

At the request of the McCain family, I have also authorized military transportation of Senator McCain's remains from Arizona to Washington, D.C., military pallbearers and band support, and a horse and caisson transport during the service at the United States Naval Academy.

Finally, I have asked General John Kelly, Secretary James Mattis, and Ambassador John Bolton to represent my Administration at his services.

The President also released the following proclamation, ordering the US flag to be flown at half-staff:

As a mark of respect for the memory and longstanding service of Senator John Sidney McCain III, I hereby order, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, on the day of interment. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half‑staff for the same period at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-seventh day of August, in the year of our Lord two thousand eighteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-third.

DONALD J. TRUMP

Quote:
a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment.
Then what was with the return to full staff today until there was backlash for it...?
Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #24
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Interesting. We never heard anything about it, nor was our flag at work lowered. Even had a customer comment on it, which I found odd at the time, but now I wonder...

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:42 PM   #25
Jester
Rat-faced Dude-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
Then what was with the return to full staff today until there was backlash for it...?
From what I heard, Flag Code only requires the day of the death and the following day. Thus, Monday would have been back to full staff, unless the decision was made to go half staff until internment.

"Clearly, you're Ninja Turtling incorrectly." - Leo656
Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #26
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I see. Verterans groups or whatnot supposedly wanted it to remain lowered and got on him about it, so at least they relented and have chosen to leave it lowered for longer.

Quote:
Wall Street Journal reports, he “viewed the news coverage of the former senator’s death as over-the-top and more befitting a president." MSN
For someone who supposedly doesn't like the amount of criticizing news coverage given to him (Trump), and you'd think he'd be grateful anytime something happens to divert attention away... tell me he is not jealous of the dead guy.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 PM   #27
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:04 PM   #28
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
I see. Verterans groups or whatnot supposedly wanted it to remain lowered and got on him about it, so at least they relented and have chosen to leave it lowered for longer.

For someone who supposedly doesn't like the amount of criticizing news coverage given to him (Trump), and you'd think he'd be grateful anytime something happens to divert attention away... tell me he is not jealous of the dead guy.

http://www.ipodder.org/blog/wp-conte...el-Bay-why.jpg

But if he weren't, he would not be the petty, immature 5-yr-old in a man's body we've all come to know. Jealousy is his trademark.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
But if he weren't, he would not be the petty, immature 5-yr-old in a man's body we've all come to know. Jealousy is his trademark.
Probably right. Fortunately, he doesn't need to be our bestie or be a guidance counselor... he needs to run the country. So far so good on that -- unemployment is at record lows, the stock market is at historic highs beyond ever before, companies are coming back to the states, our trade deals with other countries are being renegotiated to ensure fairness. I don't know or really care what's "in his heart" as a person as long as he is getting results.

That said, I wish he'd pull his head of his ass on education and the environment and his FAKE devotion to the church. The rest? Sounds good.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #30
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

I think we have different opinions on "good", but I'll leave that one alone for now. Especially with what I've been hearing on the news lately about his so-called "fair" trade agreements. Or the fact that the market bubble may be about to burst because of it, among other reasons. Or how so many allies are now sort of sliding away like the US is that weird guy who sits next to you on the bus and starts mumbling crazy s**t.

I think the two go hand in hand. If he is emotionally bankrupt, how can we trust his moral or ethical compass? His business practices have always been shady- and that is really just an extention of how he views and interacts with others. As objects there to please HIM. He's a narcissist.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:35 PM   #31
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
I think we have different opinions on "good", but I'll leave that one alone for now. Especially with what I've been hearing on the news lately about his so-called "fair" trade agreements. Or the fact that the market bubble may be about to burst because of it
There's been quite a bit of "ANY DAY NOW, disaster/cataclysm/the fall of the nation!" for some time now about varying things that Trump has done, might do, or has said.

Nothing ever happens. Not a thing. It's all noise.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:46 PM   #32
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Ever the optimist, eh? No, I don't think he's the Antichrist or anything quite so Biblically catastrophic, but to run this country's progress from the last 50 years to a grinding halt, or even backward? Yes, I fully believe he's capable- and well on the way- do doing exactly that. His "new" trade agreement won't do us a darn bit of good if the other nations involved simply- don't want to trade with us anymore. It might look good on paper, but there would have to be actual trade for it to benefit antone, and sadly, he seems determined to make us the schoolyard pariah.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:56 PM   #33
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Ever the optimist, eh?
The realist, I would imagine. We're over halfway into the second year of his presidency and nothing bad has happened, only the contrary. When exactly does the catastrophe strike? Is it year 3? All the way in 4? What date, so I can write it down and remember to come back and tell you, "You were wrong"?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:07 PM   #34
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

It's already happening though. Tried to repeal ACA, only failed because McCain (bless the man!) cast a decisive vote against it. The market wobbles every time he makes a new announcement regarding foriegn policy. It did again yesterday when he announced his trade agreement plan. And don't even get me started on all the left/right polarization since he started his campaign. You can say it started with Obama, but when has this country EVER been this divided save during the Civil War or Civil Rights movement? He's toxic to everything this country actually stands for.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
It's already happening though. Tried to repeal ACA, only failed because McCain (bless the man!) cast a decisive vote against it. The market wobbles every time he makes a new announcement regarding foriegn policy. It did again yesterday when he announced his trade agreement plan. And don't even get me started on all the left/right polarization since he started his campaign. You can say it started with Obama, but when has this country EVER been this divided save during the Civil War or Civil Rights movement? He's toxic to everything this country actually stands for.
And for all that, he's not leaving the White House until 2020 at the earliest. More likely 2024.

When you strip away the personality and Twitter, Trump's really not that much more divisive than George W Bush or Clinton or Obama. We'll survive. The USA won't be well-liked outside our borders, but when were we ever this century?
Old 08-28-2018, 02:17 PM   #36
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
It's already happening though. Tried to repeal ACA, only failed because McCain (bless the man!) cast a decisive vote against it.
He managed to take out the mandatory/penalty aspect of the ACA. Which greatly benefits a ton of people I know.

Quote:
The market wobbles every time he makes a new announcement regarding foriegn policy. It did again yesterday when he announced his trade agreement plan.
Wobbles... and then goes up. Wobbles... and then goes up. Over and over again.

Quote:
And don't even get me started on all the left/right polarization since he started his campaign. You can say it started with Obama, but when has this country EVER been this divided save during the Civil War or Civil Rights movement? He's toxic to everything this country actually stands for.
Is that really him, though? Sure he poked the bear and may have served as a sort of catalyst and loves to "stir the pot" but at the same time it's seemed to me he also sort of inadvertently shined a light on certain groups of people's lunacy. It's true, I've never seen so many people sooo mad, so much, even getting to points of derangement over what is essentially nothing burger.

But that's kind of the culture we're in now. If everything is a 10, nothing can ever be a 1.
Old 08-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #37
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Is it ALL him? No, but as you said, he likes to stir the pot and poke bears- both of which are behaviors unbecoming and unworthy of someone sitting in the highest office in the country. It's dangerous and intentionally provocative to friend and foe alike. And I think his s**t-stirring is a big part of why it has gotten so bad. He has a talent for knowing exactly which buttons to push for the biggest reactions, and he wants to be the center of attention at all times. Like the ultimate troll....

Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #38
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Like the ultimate troll....
That's a big component of him. But like a smart troll... and one that still gets results.

I've been saying since the beginning I thought for sure that when he announced he was running he was just trolling the nation hard and that he had zero intention of winning. But then he did.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:01 PM   #39
Leo656
The Franchise

I think the plan was to lose and then write a book about how badly rigged the system is. Maybe finagle another reality show out of it.

I'm fairly certain none of this was supposed to happen.

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 04:56 PM   #40
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Well he'll get another shot at it next time and probably have an even better book than he would have before with additional chapters about rigged things.

edit: Although for entertainment value he should absolutely have to white it himself, not hire someone else.