The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

View Poll Results: Mirage (vol 1) vs Idw (-50)
Mirage 42 47.19%
IDW 47 52.81%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #21
TMNTChris1980
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
What color is the sky in your world?

Besides that, you have to admit there was a lot of fluffy stuff before that. There was only 2 times that it went dark.

Mikey is way more OT style now. Before he was slightly funny, but not goofy, like he is now.

Duncan's early art had a Mirage vibe to it. It seems like a lot of the art now is very close to the Nick toon.
TMNTChris1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #22
Powder
So tired of this place

The only stuff I'd consider somewhat cute would be Sophie's work, but the book hardly suffered for it (quite the opposite, for me). That style was perfectly suited to the mood/tone of it's time. Mikey's been like that since the beginning, I'd know because I used to ride Tom's ass about it off the jump. Like, the guy was just born & he's already talking like a bro & playing Game-Gear. The art itself is not close to the Nick toon at all, it's just that the turtles themselves have similar designs. Besides, that's not the case across the board. Ken Garing's stuff, the various crossovers, there have been more 'old school' looking turtles along the way. Even so, having a Nick inspired aesthetic hasn't prevented the art itself from being wonderfully detailed, or violent, it's the same as it's ever been in those respects. I don't really see the neutering you speak of.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 09:53 PM   #23
Bry
So Long, Stinktown!

It's a lot closer than I would've expected, but... gotta go Mirage. The heights of the E/L run alone (1-11 and microseries, Return to New York, and City at War) are all-time definitive to me and still hold up as the best TMNT stories out there, IMO. The fill-ins were a mixed bag, but there's enough truly great, interesting stuff in there that I wouldn't trade for anything.

I do truly love the IDW series, but there's no shame in silver here.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:41 AM   #24
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

I think limiting Mirage to only Vol. 1 in this poll is unfair. Personally, I just can't find much in the guest issues that I would consider very good. I think excluding those and replacing them with Vol. 2 and Tales Vol. 1 makes for a much better comparison. Since we're only comparing Vol. 1 against IDW, I have to go with IDW.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #25
shuriken
Second City Shinobi

I may be in the minority but the guest issues were some of my favorite issues. Sky Highway, Twilight of the Ring and Toitle Anxiety are all boss in my book. Hell even Turtle dreams is fun and ridiculous.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:40 AM   #26
CyberCubed
Overlord

Yeah a lot of Vol. 1's guest issues were great, don't understand the hate for some of them.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM   #27
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

A perfect tie? That pretty much sums up my feelings on the subject.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #28
The Shelf
Mad Scientist

I don't think there's a lot of hate for the guest stories so much as indifference. They're there, they exist, but they don't really contribute much. For me, if it's not canon, then I'm just not interested. I was never a big fan of "what if" stories, and I treat most of the guest books that way.

Contrast that with IDW which is so well written that even the tiniest loose threads somehow manage to tie in to everything else, and every character gets so much attention and development that not a single character feels like a waste of time. Every new story that comes out doesn't just build on what came before it but actually enhances everything that came before it.

Mirage Vol. 1 has better individual story arcs, but as a series overall I think IDW wins easily. Like I said before, though, if we allow IDW to go up against a more complete Mirage selection that includes Vol. 2 and Tales, then Mirage jumps ahead; however, I have little doubt IDW will even overtake that before long.
The Shelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 03:11 PM   #29
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mirage was supposed to be episodic. Aside from the big plotlines like City at War, Mirage was supposed to be a, "jump in at any time and get a full TMNT story" type of series.

That's why most issues were one-shots. Almost all of Tales (and the second run has 70 issues) was comprised of one-shots, and a few two or three part stories.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #30
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Mirage was supposed to be episodic. Aside from the big plotlines like City at War, Mirage was supposed to be a, "jump in at any time and get a full TMNT story" type of series.

That's why most issues were one-shots. Almost all of Tales (and the second run has 70 issues) was comprised of one-shots, and a few two or three part stories.
Only Tales Volume 2 was ever that, Cubed.

Tales Volume 1 tied in more often than not to the ongoing story in Volume 1, and Volume 1 can be divided into about three main narratives: the first 11 issues with one-shots; the Northampton arc that culminates in Return to New York; and then Masks, Leatherhead Too, Shades of Gray, and City at War. Plus a year or two of forgettable random issues, with SOME bright spots like "Sons of the Silent Age."

Volumes 2 and 4? Absolutely not at all "jump in at any time."
Old 01-25-2016, 06:28 PM   #31
mrmaczaps
Banned

Mirage: still better than long drawn out stories where it takes 50++++ issues for the Turtles to take down the Shredder (except, you know, Splinter takes him down)... also, trade writing. IDW suffers for this. Mirage was different. Other than City at War, most primary tales were one or two issues, they still moved the story along though. Tales v2 jumps around and still manages to add to the primary universe/narrative. Even if/when there are gaps, you didn't need to know every detail to read the next part.

But then again, all moden comics suffer from slow stories that never seem to end...
mrmaczaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:30 PM   #32
CyberCubed
Overlord

Mirage was never really building to some huge conclusion either, it was just showing the lives of the Turtles throughout the years.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:56 PM   #33
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Mirage was never really building to some huge conclusion either, it was just showing the lives of the Turtles throughout the years.
It never had to build to some jawdropping finale. That would've been weird. It already had a finale, "City at War." Everything after, while great at best, has been downhill from that shining moment of endgame awesome.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:02 PM   #34
CyberCubed
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
It never had to build to some jawdropping finale. That would've been weird. It already had a finale, "City at War." Everything after, while great at best, has been downhill from that shining moment of endgame awesome.
All the Old Turtle stories are as much a finale we'll get too. We already know what happens. They get old, go their separate ways and die.
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #35
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
All the Old Turtle stories are as much a finale we'll get too. We already know what happens. They get old, go their separate ways and die.
Gah, I hate that. Yay for happy endings.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:33 PM   #36
miru
Mad Scientist

IDW, due to quality control preventing us from getting “Spaced Out”, Volume 4 issue 22, or the Flaming Carrot Crossover. For mixing elements so well it feels truly definitive. For the exciting new twists and turns, yet avoiding feeling as hackneyed as the Big Two.
miru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #37
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

IDW for me, no hesitation whatsoever.
It is the superior material IMHO.

I like the artwork and storytelling better. Only thing I don’t like (in both versions actually) is the emphasis on aliens (minus kraang) and time travelling.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #38
Zog The Magnificent
Stone Warrior

I like both for different reasons, and the shared reason that they are both good stories. However, I personally have to go with IDW, for the reason that IDW is more consistently good. When Mirage is good, it tends to be really good, but when it's bad, it tends to be really bad. IDW is good throughout most of the time. Additionally, I feel it has a much more cohesive universe and story than all of the various Mirages series.
Zog The Magnificent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:53 PM   #39
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Mirage. IDW might have been able to make something truly great and early on it seemed like they might, but Nickelodeon holds a tight leash on certain rather basic aspects of things that prevent it from being elevated to a higher level. And, strictly on a personal level, just way too much Fred Wolf for me to really invest myself in it or take it too seriously. But it is very impressive what they've been able to accomplish on a lot of levels.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #40
Nortock Diab
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nortock Diab View Post
Mirage with no hesitation (1-11, RTNY, City at War, guest issues such as The River...).
From what I read of IDW, it is good yet rather tasteless compared to Mirage vol.1.

The real turtles are and will always be Mirage's anyway .
I'm digging through this topic like others and I just read my previous comment.

I have to say I changed my mind regarding IDW since then.
It is definitely better than "rather tasteless".
The storyline is very well built and edited, you can see the hard work in it especially when you compare to editing management with the big two which is rarely flawless.
I really enjoy reading the IDW Collection HC to get the whole picture.

However, my vote remains unchanged and I still stick to Mirage because it has more soul in my opinion.
While IDW knows where it goes, Mirage wanders and leaves more space for the reader's imagination. That is what I am looking for in my readings as I feel more active and not only fed with entertainment material .
Nortock Diab is offline   Reply With Quote