The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Merchandise > Toy/Collectible Discussion

Notices

Old 06-06-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
Donnie
Something from the Past

Plastic Cell Movie TMNT Figures

Hi everyone,

Can't find a thread for this. What do you think of these figures? The $200 (shipping included) price tag is pretty steep for the size of the figures, but the articulation is stunning. Here is a link to the site. Leonardo is sold out and Donatello is on preorder. Keep an eye out for Raphael & Michelangelo. I'm probably just going to get Donatello.
Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #2
tmntman
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
Hi everyone,

Can't find a thread for this. What do you think of these figures? The $200 (shipping included) price tag is pretty steep for the size of the figures, but the articulation is stunning. Here is a link to the site. Leonardo is sold out and Donatello is on preorder. Keep an eye out for Raphael & Michelangelo. I'm probably just going to get Donatello.
What articulation? From what I've seen, they look like statues.

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 09:45 PM   #3
Turnstone
Stone Warrior

While I collect almost anything related to the first film, the sculpts just aren?t doing it for me. Donnie looks cross eyed and I don?t like his expression. From what I can see of Raph and Mikey, they don?t look promising. Leo is the only decent one. I think NECA just has spoiled me on getting quality items.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 05:30 AM   #4
I Crave Pizza No More
Mad Scientist

I just don't get the giant heads thing.
I Crave Pizza No More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 04:31 AM   #5
cloud
Stone Warrior

Its probably not the case but at first sight it feels like a NECA knock off product with a 1/4 scale turtle head plugged to a 7" figure body.

The realistic design doesnt work with the chibi style big head. Good luck with these
cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #6
Redrumh2o
Mad Scientist

Not for me...deformed looking IMO
Redrumh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 03:03 PM   #7
RaphaelinSTL
Mad Scientist

I like the idea of them being like these particular "art pieces", but they just look like those NECA Headknockers without the ability to do a "bobblehead" feature.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:48 PM   #8
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Haha, yeah, I was trying to look past that. It didn't bother me much at first glance, but I see your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntman View Post
What articulation? From what I've seen, they look like statues.
I suppose "articulation" isn't the right word to use. I meant the detail in these figures, for a small piece, is rather nice.

They certainly aren't the best TMNT sculpts around at this time, especially given the "big head" complaint which after your comments is starting to annoy me more. I'll get Donatello and call it quits on the line.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

I love these myself I don't believe he was trying to capture the exact likeness to the movie but to each his own. Price is pretty high for the size but they are limited to 300 and hand painted and assembled so I guess if can be justified!
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:18 PM   #10
Donnie
Something from the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmaga123 View Post
I love these myself I don't believe he was trying to capture the exact likeness to the movie but to each his own. Price is pretty high for the size but they are limited to 300 and hand painted and assembled so I guess if can be justified!
Are you sure they're limited to 300? That's a really low count! Good thing I preordered Donatello, I see on their website that he's already sold out. Raphael is up for preorder next.

Yeah, it seems like the 1990 movie is the inspiration for these statues/figures, but they definitely took some artistic freedoms. What often happens with Donatello (haven't seen it happen to the other 3) is that he looks a little too much like Secret of the Ooze Donatello with the lighter purple bandanna. 1990 Don had a sharper beak and a dark purple bandanna. That's my only disappointment with the Don figure. I love Don's suit in the 1990 film so much more than SotO.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #11
Bmaga123
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Are you sure they're limited to 300? That's a really low count! Good thing I preordered Donatello, I see on their website that he's already sold out. Raphael is up for preorder next.

Yeah, it seems like the 1990 movie is the inspiration for these statues/figures, but they definitely took some artistic freedoms. What often happens with Donatello (haven't seen it happen to the other 3) is that he looks a little too much like Secret of the Ooze Donatello with the lighter purple bandanna. 1990 Don had a sharper beak and a dark purple bandanna. That's my only disappointment with the Don figure. I love Don's suit in the 1990 film so much more than SotO.
Yep 300 of each I'm going to pre-order Raphael as well I'm planning to have all 4. I agree the movie 1 suits are the best by far
Bmaga123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:40 AM   #12
AquaParade
Banned

Does anyone have any Plastic Cell figures? I'm thinking of hopping on these. I may have to adjust to the large heads, but the sculpts are beautiful and I'm dying for more TMNT 1990 figures.

Just wondering if anyone else was in a similar position before? Obviously I'll have to decide for myself if I like these, but I imagine that must be even more impressive in person, given the price.

Edit: Eh, screw it. I'll just get more Neca 1990 figures.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 02:36 PM   #13
TheCanadiandrome
Big, Bad & Bold

Location: Inside the Technodrome; Shredderville; Saskatchewan
they look like bobble-heads

Add me: PSN/XBL; Nintendo Network ID: BDS-3.1.6; Switch FC: SW-3378-5206-8020

TMNT Fan Club: http://sot.ag/4jZR0

Visit My Wish List:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=30904

My Collection:
http://forums.thetechnodrome.com/showthread.php?t=40276
TheCanadiandrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #14
slaysghosts
Foot Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Crave Pizza No More View Post
Ditto, me either.

Do yourself a favor: Bookmark this page ---> Click Here

Also, a lot of people have obnoxiously large signatures and you'll get use to it.
slaysghosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:29 PM   #15
tmntman
Mad Scientist

If anyone is interested in these, the Michelangelo preorder should be open soon. It actually went live and I was able to put in an order, but now it is back to "coming soon" status.

Plastic Cell Michelangelo

Check out my site at http://www.tmnttoys.com/
or follow me on Twitter, @TMNTtoys
tmntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #16
sweatyhong
Mouser

Quote:
Hi everyone,

I'm going for the Mikey tomorrow. If anyone has any doubles of the others I'll be more than willing to make a trade.
sweatyhong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:41 AM   #17
Meow
Stone Warrior

Thanks to Dan posting here I also found this thread.

Anyone has an idea what those figures are about? 5-6" isn't large, they don't seem to have any articulation and the shredder comes for 350?? At first I thought I was misreading and overseeing a decimal point or similar, but nope three-hundred-and-fifty bucks lel, confusing.
Old 03-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #18
Banned

man those are hot garbage. why would anyone want caricature looking version of the turtle, those huge heads look ridiculous. what an ugly design
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 11:16 AM   #19
AquaParade
Banned

While the big heads are a little awkward, these look really nice, otherwise. I can't understand the price point, but I'd buy them if they were cheaper.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #20
Tossled
Thug

I bought two of the turtles and later had buyer's remorse. $350 for Shredder is a hard pass.
Tossled is offline   Reply With Quote