The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
rich
Mad Scientist

IDW Limited

Just today IDW announced what they call "IDW Limited." This is a website specifically for Limited Editions, signed copies, etc. of IDW releases.

They are launching IDW Limited with 3 separate special TMNT limited edition sets of the TMNT Vol. 1 Change is Constant Deluxe Edition. Buying all 3 sets will set you back $725 !!

These types of things are relatively new to the TMNT comic book realm as Mirage never really did stuff like this. I've always sought to have a single copy of each printing of a TMNT comic, trade, or hardcover. However, just like the SDCC slipcase set, the book itself isn't limited other than the original print run (EDIT: this is a different book from the normal Deluxe Edition HC - at least in regards to cover variation - see this post)...it's the stuff they are providing along with the book that makes this limited. These are definitely cool and if I had unlimited funds I'd buy all 3 sets. However, while this may fit a niche with some collectors, I've had to draw the line somewhere so I'm just buying one.

Thoughts? Any of you other TMNT comic book completists out there going to pay for these?

Last edited by rich; 10-03-2012 at 12:25 PM.
rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
However, just like the SDCC slipcase set, the book itself isn't limited other than the original print run...it's the stuff they are providing along with the book that makes this limited.
Eh? They look different to me...
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
HotJuicyBurgers
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roseangelo View Post
These seem kind of crazy price wise

I always kind of dislike items that are made limited simply to be limited

http://bootd.wordpress.com/
HotJuicyBurgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Just today IDW announced what they call "IDW Limited." This is a website specifically for Limited Editions, signed copies, etc. of IDW releases.

... However, just like the SDCC slipcase set, the book itself isn't limited other than the original print run...it's the stuff they are providing along with the book that makes this limited.
You scooped me Rich!

Hi guys, I'm Nate and I'm the community manager for IDW Limited. Was planning on making a thread about this and posting some pics & answering questions. That sound interesting to anyone?

Rich, there are a lot of components that make these books different, it's not just print run. I can definitely break down that down for you. Let me find a video actually. Give me a minute.
natecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You're right, Roseangelo...the cover does look different from what the normal Deluxe Edition was. I had forgotten about the cover of the Deluxe having a whiter background. Plus, if you read the description, it states that it's hand-numbered...hmmm. I missed that the first time around. That kind of changes things.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Roseangelo
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by natecm View Post
Rich, there are a lot of components that make these books different, it's not just print run. I can definitely break down that down for you. Let me find a video actually. Give me a minute.
Rich is referring to the actual comic book hardcover itself, as he is strictly interested in collecting the different variations of the comics and not the stuff that comes with each package.

From what I can see, each set includes the same hardcover book with a black cover (making it different from the regular edition, which has a white cover).
Roseangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
You scooped me Rich!

Sorry to steal your thunder on this. Didn't mean to.

My main question is whether the three editions of these books themselves are different from one another (other than, of course, the numbering and what you get with them). In other words, what does the legal indicia state on the inside of these books? Are these 3 all the same or does it state "red label" or "black label" on the inside?

Thanks!

Quote:
Rich is referring to the actual comic book hardcover itself, as he is strictly interested in collecting the different variations of the comics and not the stuff that comes with each package.
Roseangelo, you know me so well.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Sorry to steal your thunder on this. Didn't mean to.

My main question is whether the three editions of these books themselves are different from one another (other than, of course, the numbering and what you get with them). In other words, what does the legal indicia state on the inside of these books? Are these 3 all the same or does it state "red label" or "black label" on the inside?

Thanks!

Roseangelo, you know me so well.

Rich;

All the IDW Limited editions have the same enhancements: variant cover, vellum overlay of the title page, new endpages. Interior pages for all three lines are the same.

Each edition has a foil stamp denoting red/black/blue and a satin bookmark ribbon of the same color.

Here's a specs video for the blue book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n31bexTa8Xw&feature=plcp
Old 10-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Rich;

All the IDW Limited editions have the same enhancements: variant cover, vellum overlay of the title page, new endpages. Interior pages for all three lines are the same.

Each edition has a foil stamp denoting red/black/blue and a satin bookmark ribbon of the same color.

Here's a specs video for the blue book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n31bexTa8Xw&feature=plcp
Thank you sir! This is valuable information. This definitely changes things (at least for me).

Let's see if I have this right. This is a Limited Edition version of the Deluxe Edition Hardcover book that is different than the previous Deluxe Edition. This Limited Edition has a print run of 210 that is split into 3 tiers: Red (175), Black (25), and Blue (10). The different tiers determine the items that are included with the book (and the numbering, signature / sketches).

Old 10-03-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Thank you sir! This is valuable information. This definitely changes things (at least for me).

Let's see if I have this right. This is a Limited Edition version of the Deluxe Edition Hardcover book that is different than the previous Deluxe Edition. This Limited Edition has a print run of 210 that is split into 3 tiers: Red (175), Black (25), and Blue (10). The different tiers determine the items that are included with the book (and the numbering, signature / sketches).

Yes. That is all correct.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Yes. That is all correct.
Um...$19 shipping ? That's way excessive. And for GROUND shipping no less. That's kind of shameful.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 AM   #12
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Um...$19 shipping ? That's way excessive. And for GROUND shipping no less. That's kind of shameful.
Shipping's wired directly in from UPS with an app. We don't set pricing there. It just looks at weight & distance. Was that for one book?
Old 10-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Shipping's wired directly in from UPS with an app. We don't set pricing there. It just looks at weight & distance. Was that for one book?
Yes, that's just for one book...across only 4 states...but whatcha gonna do, right? Got us by the...

Old 10-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #14
dkram230
Stone Warrior

Thanks guys. Just placed an order for the set. Hopefully if I change my mind it will be easy enough to resell and get my monies back! I don't know what kind of market is out there for these.
dkram230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #15
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Yes, that's just for one book...across only 4 states...but whatcha gonna do, right? Got us by the...
Eesh. Must be gas prices? Well Im'a make sure we pack yours with extra loving care. Hopefully that'll be worth a buck or two.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
natecm
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkram230 View Post
Thanks guys. Just placed an order for the set. Hopefully if I change my mind it will be easy enough to resell and get my monies back! I don't know what kind of market is out there for these.
What'd you get?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #17
Master Splinter
幸 - 愛 - 思う

Quote:
Eesh. Must be gas prices? Well Im'a make sure we pack yours with extra loving care. Hopefully that'll be worth a buck or two.
You could draw a dragon eating a mailman on the box... That might suffice.

-ms
Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #18
rich
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Thanks! From the video it looks to be a sweet book. Can't wait to get it.

Quote:
What'd you get?
Red Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Splinter View Post
You could draw a dragon eating a mailman on the box... That might suffice.

-ms
LOL

Old 10-03-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
Toby Barrett
Stone Warrior

HAHAHA! I don't think so. XD
Toby Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #20
dkram230
Stone Warrior

Quote:
What'd you get?
I actually ordered 2 of each LOL. One full set to open and one to collect.
dkram230 is offline   Reply With Quote