The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > TMNT Comic Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2020, 12:07 AM   #21
Mike Lowrey
Thug

IDW has many great TMNT artists and Santolouco and Campbell are the top two, but for me to choose one, then it’s hands down Mateus Santolouco.
Mike Lowrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 01:27 AM   #22
Technogeek29
Mad Scientist

Always have been Dan Ducan man myself.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:16 PM   #23
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

It would appear that Sophie Campbell went more the 2012 series route with the looks of the Turtles.

Because Raphael closely resembles his "Mutant Apocalypse" counterpart here and I don't believe that that wasn't done on purpose.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #24
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Santolouco is far and away my fave, with Andy Kuhn or Valerio Schitti a very close second/third. Campbell’s and Cory Smith’s depictions round out my top picks
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 08:44 PM   #25
TommyT
Banned

Dan Duncan was solid. Santalouco is hit and miss.
Nobody does a nice April at IDW. It’s a shame.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:37 AM   #26
neatoman
Emperor

I really like Ben Bates, his art just oozes personality.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #27
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Santolouco remains my de facto favorite but I’m like Campbell’s new designs.
I just wish Santo would draw the turtles with some garments on. Like a ninja-ish outfit close to what they are wearing in the recent chapters but not like the Michael Bay movies.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #28
wyze2099
Hench Mutant

My top artists for IDW Turtles are Michael Dialynas, Dave Wachter, Mateus Santolouco, and Sophie Campbell at the top. So basically I've enjoyed everything from City at War onward.

Regarding specific looks, I do like when a little creativity is employed with the Turtles' outfits, and with making them look different from each other. If we're supposed to believe they're teenagers, then their sense of individuality wouldn't stop with just their personalities and their weapons. I feel like the Bay looks from the recent movies took that a bit further than they needed to, but then that was heavy accessorizing on top of unflattering creature designs.

Leo656 did raise a good point with all the arm & leg wrappings, so that could definitely be toned down.

I think my favorite recent look for them would be the Splinter Clan outfits adopted in #105. They look like a ninja clan, each design is different from the others, and it's all simple rather than being over-complicated. The arm & leg wrappings are brought down to a more manageable level. It fits their situation as well, now that they're living in Mutant Town.

Editor-in-Chief of
Marvel Crossroads fanfiction group
wyze2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:15 PM   #29
turtlefan27
Foot Soldier

Mateus santolouco
Ben bates
Dan Duncan
Kevin Eastman
Michael Dialynas
turtlefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #30
Icegaze
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
I really like Ben Bates, his art just oozes personality.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ff/bf...4e29d2ce91.jpg
Can’t believe I forgot about Mr Bates! My second fave.
Old 09-26-2020, 11:37 AM   #31
AquaParade
Banned

I'm not sure I even have a favorite. Probably Kevin Eastman, but that feels like cheating. I don't feel like he's at peak performance when doing interiors, but his visual style has a lot of character and just feels like TMNT to me. His covers look pretty damn great and are a step above the interiors, as is common for many artists.

Santolouco is always an exciting name to see on the cover as well. I'm not partial to the designs he's gone with for the IDW turtles (which is odd, because I love the custom designs I've seen him do for his personal collection online), but he has dynamic layouts and a ton of detail to his work, so that likely makes him my second favorite of the bunch. Lots of the other artists are good too. I'm really enjoying what Sophie Campbell is doing.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #32
turtlefan27
Foot Soldier

For some reason I forget ben bishop. I absolutely love his art style. Probably as much as I do ben bates.
turtlefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 04:01 AM   #33
Slap-Happy
Bad Boy

Santolouco and Campbell are the obvious greats. Duncan and Bates are great too. I have an affinity for Andy Kuhn's work too.

Absolutely hate Bishop's stuff. Incredibly unappealing to me. Definitely not of the caliber that you'd expect on this book.
Slap-Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:55 AM   #34
akamcfly
Thug

Dan Duncan is the way to go for me.

his drawing transmit me a lot of strength, and i find it perfect to tell stories of turtles in their natural environment, a dark and gritty New York...
akamcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 12:15 PM   #35
skylord
Thug

I'm going through and rereading from the start right now. Dropped off somewhere around issue 70 I think. On my first read through I think I had a tough time getting into Dan Duncan's art and it was a bit of an initial barrier. On reread though I think it really captures a unique feel and I love it. Has just the right amount of grit that keeps the first major arcs feel incredibly grounded.

Santolouco and Campbell were my initial favorites and they tend to draw more traditionally good looking turtles. It's a flavor I still really like and probably what I'd show somebody if I wanted to convince them to read the comics. Maybe I'd be setting up the wrong expectations but its better than turning them away by art incorrectly perceived as poor.
skylord is offline   Reply With Quote