The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > TMNT Universes > General TMNT Discussion

Notices

Old 03-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #61
snake
Disgusting

My condolences, Cygon- that’s awful. I never realized how lucky I am that my parents never bothered or at least just stopped caring that I was into all this nerd sh*t far beyond the typical “expiration date” for most people. The sad thing is that most of my collection of anything ends up getting trashed by none other than myself. I sold all my hundreds of 3.75 star wars figures (only collect 6-inch now), I basically never took care of my childhood collection of figures, I never really stuck to collecting one thing, and I missed out on a lot of sh*t in my day.

Damn, you know it’s real regret hours when you start regretting that you didn’t buy enough action figures.

The childhood toys one hurts though. I had the oppertunity to buy so much cool stuff that I just never did, and now that cool stuff is hundreds on ebay. I’m sorry, Legacy Collection Jaina Solo. I’ll never buy you and free you from your plastic prison. I’ll never proudly own your whole retardedly-expensive wave that someone thought was a good idea to make TRU exclusive.

Also, biggest regret of my childhood is not buying this badass motherf*cker.
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 PM   #62
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
That sh*t's f*cking ghastly.

Thanks to that, my father had the utmost respect for my hobbies and collectibles, even if they weren't "his thing".

Sorry you had that happen to you, brother. I wouldn't even be on speaking terms with them for some bullsh*t like that, but that's me.
Well, I mean, that's about the worst thing I can think of that they did. They never beat me or $hit. They were mostly good parents, but they never did get the whole "geek" thing. Even weirder considering my dad got me into Star Trek back in the day, too.

I forgave 'em, but considering that was half my life ago, it should be obvious now that I've never forgotten it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
My condolences, Cygon- that’s awful. I never realized how lucky I am that my parents never bothered or at least just stopped caring that I was into all this nerd sh*t far beyond the typical “expiration date” for most people. The sad thing is that most of my collection of anything ends up getting trashed by none other than myself. I sold all my hundreds of 3.75 star wars figures (only collect 6-inch now), I basically never took care of my childhood collection of figures, I never really stuck to collecting one thing, and I missed out on a lot of sh*t in my day.
Thanks man. I didn't even know Jaina Solo got an action figure! Star Wars book-only characters got toys!?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:38 PM   #63
snake
Disgusting

Oh God, you don’t know the half of it. 2008-2010 was a glorious time to collect 3.75 Star Wars toys. Hundreds of figures came out a year and 80% of them were obscure-ass characters like Yarna D’el Gargan (fat dancer from Jabba’s palace) or Bail Organa in the robes he wore for 5 seconds at the end of ROTS. Near the end of 2010, Hasbro released a highly anticipated Expanded Universe wave of 6 figures. These included characters such as K’Kruhk and Jaina Solo, as well as Shaak Ti from the Force Unleashed when she’s barely clothed. The wave came out as the literal last wave of the Legacy Collection (the line it was a part of) and was regulated to a TRU exclusive. Most people never saw that wave, and the figures themselves go for insane prices.

Do you know how hard it was for a kid to see an entire wave of figures you wanted be basically unobtainable? I never even bothered asking for them for Christmas or my birthday, which is sad because I totally could’ve gotten ONE of them at the time if I really put the effort in.

So, yeah. That’s my story. That’s a lot of my stories. I regret so much, and have to live with these demons every day. I promise myself every day that when I’m rich, I’m going to buy every figure from that time period of 2008-2010 MOC and loose, and just relive my childhood.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy me the whole wave, I’ll love you forever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-L...oAAOSwjk9ZUJhP
Old 03-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #64
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
BTW, if anyone wants to buy me the whole wave, I’ll love you forever.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-L...oAAOSwjk9ZUJhP
Holy $hit, Snake, I don't even love MYSELF that much!

$800 for 6 figures? My oh my. Just... wowsers.
Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 PM   #65
snake
Disgusting

$39 for 24 months, Cygon. It's like buying 24 small purchases instead of one ridiculously big one!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #66
The-Shredder
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Oh God, you don’t know the half of it. 2008-2010 was a glorious time to collect 3.75 Star Wars toys. Hundreds of figures came out a year and 80% of them were obscure-ass characters like Yarna D’el Gargan (fat dancer from Jabba’s palace) or Bail Organa in the robes he wore for 5 seconds at the end of ROTS.
I remember seeing a number of those Jabba's palace dancer figures peg warming at Kohl's for quite a while. You can find a lot of neat stuff at department stores that go for overinflated prices online. I found a Mario Wii Remote Plus controller at Kohl's for about $20, when it goes for around $60 on Amazon. There are still a few Nick 2012 series figures lying around the shelves as well, but they're mostly just a Casey Jones repaint and Atilla the Frog. Usually those go for around $20 on Amazon.
The-Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #67
Leo656
The Franchise

Once upon a time when I was like 3, my parents took me to a toy store on a "splurge" trip. Every so often we'd go to the store and they'd basically let me get as much stuff as $100 would buy. Now keep in mind this wasn't a weekly thing or anything, but once in a while. My parents both wholeheartedly lived the "sometimes you need to spoil yourself" philosophy, so when we could, we would. Anyway.

I don't remember the details, only the broad strokes. I remember Mom was drunk. She was drunk a lot, and a nasty one. I remember a shopping cart loaded with just about every Super-Friends action figure they had. I remember Batman and Joker, specifically. There was much more, but those I remember vividly because I was SO excited to get them. I remember they started arguing, about what I don't remember. Could have been anything, with her. A passing cloud, for all I know. I remember Mom having all the money, taking the car keys, and leaving us there. I remember not knowing what was going on, or why we left the cart full of "my" toys behind. I remember us having to take a cab home, and me crying hysterically, confused.

I remember never even seeing a single one of those figures again. I would never own them, despite already having held them in my hands and being told they were "mine" now. Except they stayed at the store and we went home with nothing.

I'm not kidding when I say it was a thoroughly traumatic experience and one I find completely unfair to a young child. You don't DO things like that. I'm quite sure that to this day, I spend a ton of money on crap I don't need mostly because I remember what it feels like to have your heart's desire literally ripped out of your hands, and to be told "We'll get it Next Time" and then Next Time never comes.

I fully confess that I've chosen "junk" over food more than once in my life. No regrets. I'd rather live happy now and "figure it out" later on, than live a life of regret and "Man, I wish I would'a ______."

"I left some words quite far from here to be a short reminder...
I laid them out in stone, in case they need to last forever..."

"But hey... I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know."
nWo Tech: The Official Thread Poison of the Technodrome Forums
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA
https://theroxxshow.blogspot.com/
Leo656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:05 PM   #68
snake
Disgusting

I can only imagine how awful that must've felt. I'm pretty fortunate, in retrospect, but I still know the feeling of "next time" being never. At least I got shirtless Darth Maul. All I wanted when I was a 10 year old boy was shirtless Darth Maul. Not sure what that says about me.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:14 PM   #69
Leo656
The Franchise

Man, I can't remember the last time I bought Star Wars toys, but it had to have been around Episode III-ish. I was never huge into it, but I tried to get at least one of all the "main characters" from the movies for a while. I'm a little jealous though, because the sculpts on the newer ones from the last decade or so are definitely better, but I don't think I have it in me to get into all that again.

Those 6-inch figures are f*ckin' dope though, so... I might need to get a few of those.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:30 PM   #70
snake
Disgusting

Buy the 6 inch stuff now while it's still relatively cheap. I have nearly every figure in the Black Series line plus some of the more expensive S.H Figuarts stuff. It's worth it, if only to see a comprehensive line of Star Wars figures side by side. The 3.75 stuff doesn't really compare to how nice a 6'' collection looks.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:38 AM   #71
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
No criminal is going to want your junk of a nerd collection
No, but many thieves destroy a lot on their ways when breaking into homes.
Original TMNT Cartoon Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #72
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
Literally. I don't really wanna go into the whole story right now. It happened, they were unrecoverable (I damn sure tried), it's still a sore spot.

Pretty much the entire Image Volume 3 run, minus one or two issues. Same for Mirage Volume 1, except the guest era, which I've never liked. About half of Volume 4 and the various Tales.

EDITED TO ADD: Basically, my dad thought I needed to grow up (I had just started high school, I think) and my mom thought Ninja Turtles were eeeeeeeeeeeeevil. Demonic.
That's awful. I guess that at least makes me glad that my collection of stuff back then was pretty small. Mine too -- well mom in this case, dad could probably have not cared less for the most part -- decided at early high school that it was time to "grow up" and stop liking them. (At least there was no attempt to trash my stuff... I just sadly put it away. Though I'm now still trying to find them and fear a certain sister/brother-in-law may be behind their disappearance and if true, angers me to no end...) Younger fans these days, esp the girls, have no idea how fortunate they are that it is no longer considered weird or wrong to still like them at 15; not to mention probably helps to likely have Gen 1 parents who grew up with it the first go 'round.

That said, yeah... Have mentioned it in other similar discussions before, that being my one hiatus from the Turtles. For many, many years. Not of my own choice, but via a mother who felt it was okay to then try to tease/shame me now and then about having once been really into them and did this for, oh... not quite 20 years. I felt ashamed and tried to forget about them and started to deny it anytime she tried to bring it up again. Which I feel pretty bad about now and have apologized to these guys in my head so many times for having walked away... All because I lucked out to have a judgemental mother who could never bug off and go find a damn hobby of her own.

Ironically... the same woman who is just fine with them today (was a tiny bit rough at first but has smoothed out), enjoyed seeing the last two films with me, and has decided on her own that Mikey is her favorite. I could never have guessed we'd end up at this point today. Though I'm sure society's embracing of "geek" stuff and fandoms has probably helped alongside her own liking of various popular shows that have those kinds of followings (e.g. Walking Dead).

Wandered back to it in early 2013 thanks to crossing paths with Nick's first series and, instead of choosing to ignore it, as I'd regrettably done with 2003, actually decided to stop and see what this new one was about, and got hooked.

Sooo... six years since then and it's been a lot of fun to return and get to rediscover it, catch up on what I'd missed, and be there for their 30th, new films, and whatnot.

I already put in my break quota early and have no plans on letting them go again and am no where near the point of any level of a break yet. I'm sure there will be lulls, esp as the Turtles probably go into hibernation now and then, but they'll still be there and no doubt remain a part of my interests even if active involvement in things slows down because there just isn't much going on with them at some periods in time.

I regret those missed years, but on the other hand it's been refreshing to return with an older perspective and appreciate them from this vantage point.

Last edited by IndigoErth; 03-19-2019 at 04:13 PM.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #73
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

I decided to forget about the TMNT when the "Next Mutation" series started to air.

So when the 2003 series started to air I decided to give it a chance but they only showed it here in a TERRIBLE Dutch dub and the DVD's came without an option to have the English version. Those DVD's were issued by Bridge entertainment and apparently they had a high stake in the dubbing and didn't want people to have the English version.

The Dutch dubbed version of "A better mousetrap" the way the voices were done is just deprived of all sincerity, let alone that they never made an effort with finding actors who sound similar to the original voice cast. The worst voice of all was the one of Angel, they had a woman in her thirties voicing her and she sounded like a woman in her thirties, not like a teenage girl.

So with the voice dubbing making it impossible for me to take that show seriously I opted out.

And then I discovered the 2012 series and I was in again, again I discovered it thanks to a dubbed version but other than the 2003 dub...

A bit of the Dutch dubbed version of the 2012 series, with this one they HAD pulled out all the stops to get it right, Leonardo's voice actor sounds very similar to Jason Biggs, so if you watch the Dubbed version of the season three episodes onward, it gives you an insight on how those episodes would have been had Biggs stayed as Leo's voice.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #74
Xav
Foot Elite

Quote:
Once upon a time when I was like 3, my parents took me to a toy store on a "splurge" trip. Every so often we'd go to the store and they'd basically let me get as much stuff as $100 would buy. Now keep in mind this wasn't a weekly thing or anything, but once in a while. My parents both wholeheartedly lived the "sometimes you need to spoil yourself" philosophy, so when we could, we would. Anyway.

I don't remember the details, only the broad strokes. I remember Mom was drunk. She was drunk a lot, and a nasty one. I remember a shopping cart loaded with just about every Super-Friends action figure they had. I remember Batman and Joker, specifically. There was much more, but those I remember vividly because I was SO excited to get them. I remember they started arguing, about what I don't remember. Could have been anything, with her. A passing cloud, for all I know. I remember Mom having all the money, taking the car keys, and leaving us there. I remember not knowing what was going on, or why we left the cart full of "my" toys behind. I remember us having to take a cab home, and me crying hysterically, confused.

I remember never even seeing a single one of those figures again. I would never own them, despite already having held them in my hands and being told they were "mine" now. Except they stayed at the store and we went home with nothing.

I'm not kidding when I say it was a thoroughly traumatic experience and one I find completely unfair to a young child. You don't DO things like that. I'm quite sure that to this day, I spend a ton of money on crap I don't need mostly because I remember what it feels like to have your heart's desire literally ripped out of your hands, and to be told "We'll get it Next Time" and then Next Time never comes.

I fully confess that I've chosen "junk" over food more than once in my life. No regrets. I'd rather live happy now and "figure it out" later on, than live a life of regret and "Man, I wish I would'a ______."
Geez man. Every story about your life sounds like one depressing chapter after another.
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:18 AM   #75
Chet
Thug

Not exactly. There was a time when the third movie came out and Next Mutation was going on that I was afraid they were going to let the franchise die out. Fortunately we got the 2K3 show and IDW's involvement, as long as we get great new content like this TMNT should be as timeless as Batman.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #76
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
Not exactly. There was a time when the third movie came out and Next Mutation was going on that I was afraid they were going to let the franchise die out. Fortunately we got the 2K3 show and IDW's involvement, as long as we get great new content like this TMNT should be as timeless as Batman.
From around 1993-1994 until late 2003, I used to believe the franchise was dead. Pre-broadband days were so different...
Old 03-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #77
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
From around 1993-1994 until late 2003, I used to believe the franchise was dead. Pre-broadband days were so different...
I only started to believe the franchise was dead around 2001. It was a great surprise to find out in late 2002 that a new cartoon would be coming out in 2003.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:24 PM   #78
Leo656
The Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav View Post
Geez man. Every story about your life sounds like one depressing chapter after another.
Well, eventually I got a job and had a certain amount of autonomy, and that helped a lot.

My parents were Drug People and so were all of their friends. When you remove Drug People from your life, things have a way of magically becoming a lot less complicated.

But yeah, like I always say... I seen some things, man, and some stuff. I wouldn't recommend it!

Mostly better now though. Thanks.

Old 03-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #79
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
I only started to believe the franchise was dead around 2001. It was a great surprise to find out in late 2002 that a new cartoon would be coming out in 2003.
The TMNT faded away from popularity in Sweden by mid-1993, and it didn't take many years until the franchise was gone, to return years later with the upcoming incarnations.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 AM   #80
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
I can promise you they'd at least try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
What of course we forget is that TMNT has always been around in some form or another. I think only from around 1999-2001 nothing new with TMNT was done.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote