The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 10-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #2081
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut
That track listing is impressive. I think I may just buy it now.
That's more like it.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:17 PM   #2082
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
Yeah, the game has just as many new tracks as MK64 or Double Dash had, but we also get 16 classic tracks to go with it. An excellent decision on their part
What he said and this:

You can race on them online. For FREE. Against us fine folks.

Who wants to help get a Technodrome tournament set up? Seeing as I'm yanno, one of 49 Premier Tournament Organizers for the Pokemon-tcg, I should be able to get it all set. Lol, we could even run it in swiss format, with a cut to a top % of players.
Kid Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:42 PM   #2083
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Actually, why don't we set that up? You're the tournament MC here, so you could probobly run it better than me anyway. AMN's having a tournament, but I'd rather play against you all anyway. It's more fun with people you know.

We could like wait until around Thanksgiving Day Weekend for everyone to get good with the game (or just get home *points to self*) and then all gather up here, get on each other's DS buddy lists, then frag the hell out of each other.

Only problem I see is scorekeeping and recordkeeping. How would we do that? We could post the scores here in a deadicated stickied thread after each round and play in sets of 4 player elimination rounds, or we could all chat via Ventrillo or Skype with Mics and headsets while playing.

How do you think we should do it?
Old 10-21-2005, 12:30 AM   #2084
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Hm... well, here's my take.

Tournament format
Swiss format tournament with rounds depending on how many entrants we have. We'd be looking at 3 'qualifying' type rounds in this format, comapred to the single elimination tournament format. Swiss works on a point system, and compares those to find top placements. After the set number of Swiss rounds we cut into a single elimination 'finals' round, pry the top 4 players (if we have that, we might just have to go for a top two face off).

points are given as following:
win - 3 points
tie - 1 point
loss - zip

The tie's in there just incase, by some freak bizzare incedent that we get a tie. Better safe them sorry.

The first round is random. The second round, and so on up, is paired by the number of points each player has. If timmy as 1 point, and suzie has 12, they won't be playing. Instead that little girl would go up against someone with 12, and Timmy would pry go home crying, or so my experiance tells me.

For score keeping, we could always set up a crappy Yahoo! Group, and post the scores on there.

Matches:
The way I'm seeing it work is both people who face off have to send the results of the match, including times, or at least the loser of the match.

If match results are fradulenty reported from either person (changed, or not reported at all), it results in a loss of 6 points from each person.

Hefty penalty, but hey, they work. Taking points from both players also encourages that both people involved settle any drama crap outside of the reports. Hopefuly we're all mature enough not to be all "nuh huh- he lost!"... but if that happens, both people lose their points. (did i mention parents are amazed that i manage to keep their kids under controll? lol)

When both results are in for each round, we upated a simple html page with how many points each person has and rank it (this would be as easy as changing the values of each persons score in an ordered list, just set the numbers first then names second ).

Prizes:
As far as prizes go, I'm sure we could pry talk Mr. Spitfire or another of our resident artists into making some sort of "wow, i pw0nd your asses in the Technodrome Mario kart tournament" sig banner, similar to the awards given out yearly.

When:
And def. around Thanksgiving. Pry that weekend, when most of us should be free. We can always get that worked out, or have the tournament run for several days.

Random:
For communication, I personaly don't have a head set, and don't see any money comming up to buy one anytime soon. My computer also lacks a built in mic.... so yeah. poo. messengers, maybe an IRC room. I think I still remember how to set those up, and if not Ai should.

I know I tossed a lot of tournament gibber-jabber in there... so if you guys don't know what something means, just ask. It'll be a good warmup for next Sundays tournament for me .
Old 10-21-2005, 04:02 AM   #2085
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Sounds teriffic. We could use the Technodrome Chat Room that Ryona set up on MSN for communication if needed depending on how many people enter.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:33 AM   #2086
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

That could always work too... It's still about a month away, so we've got time to get this all sorted out .
Old 10-21-2005, 08:37 PM   #2087
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Different topic, but it's something that was bugging me.

The Proceeding is editorial content and is never meant to be published on an official outlet because it's too fu*king opinioniated. The opinions expressed are those of the author and the author alone. if you don't agree with them, then sue me

I had a pair of headphones in my bad at E3. I could only take what I could carry (and that was a laptop bag, swag bag, lunch, and 7 thumbdrives = broken back), but I used those headphones to hear the music in DS games so I could judge them. Music is damn important to me, especially with DS games that are carrying classic tunes with them. Namely, Mario Kart DS and New SMB.

If you don't remember, over the past gen, the whole Mario series and the DKC trilogy has been ported to GBA and on each and every one of them (mainly the DKC's, but Mario to a much lesser extent) have had the sound raped. The GBA has no audio chip and thus it had to be done in software. That means, no interpoliation, no reverb, only 6 of the 8 SNES channels could be reproduced, and sample quality was stuck at whatever they recorded it at, which as sh*t (SNES could process samples to increse their fidelity and make them sound crisp and clear.) Also, SNES audio was 32Hkz, and GBA was 16Khz.

Now, I'm not saying all GBA audio sucks. Wario Ware, Golden Sun, Minish Cap, Mario & Luigi and many others kick ass, but it was not meant in any way to copy SNES's quality. They worked with what they had, and made it sound terifficly amazing. Wario Ware's music is better than most GCN games. But trying to copy over old SNES tunes has been a desaster because the machine just wasnt built for it. They knew that when they omitted the audio processor, and ports have paid the price. It made me feel as though they didn't give a damn about the sound. They should have just redone all the music instead of porting it from the SNES carts, but they wanted to save a buck and fu8ked it up. If they had redone the music, it oculd have sounded great. Hell, Wario Ware's rendition of the Dr Mario music was better than the damn SNES version because they used a new MIDI setup sounded good on GBA and let the original composer remix his work....unlike the destroyed SMB and DKC ports.

Well, with Mario Kart DS, we've got 4 classic games worth of immortal tunes comming alone. I was scared that they were going to slop up, or just screw with the classic songs (Moo Moo Farm, Koopa Beach, ect) and they would wind up like sh*t like most modern Mario music has been going. Fortunately, I was wrong. The DS turns out to actually have the ability for it's sound chip to play back the original MIDI, MOD, SPC, and NSF formats of Nintendo's past consoles, meaning, the songs can be reproduced without attempting to remake them or tamper with them. That means, when I put on the headphones at E3, the system switched between SNES, N64, and Gamecube tunes at the drop of a hat, each sounding EXACTLY like the original source note for note. New SMB fired off the classic Mario All-Stars music, then switched to Dire Dire docks and the invincible music from SM64 perfectly. Almost brought a tear to my eye. Mario Kart looks to be fixing things. They seem to finally realize that if the music sucks ass alongside the classic stuff, people will start to think they're loosing it (like I've been thinking lately this gen because Sunshine's music was no Mario 64. Not even conparable). Twilight Princess better live up to what I'm xpecting musically. Either way, Mario Kart DS's new music was great from what I heard. Hell, some of it sounded like it was done with a mixture of old sample sets. New SMB was so damn good musically, seriously, I almost cried tears of joy at E3. Literally. If Revolution is half as good as we're getting now, I'll be more than content. Even Kenji Yamamoto is doing Metroid Prime 3 (thank you God), Jun Ishikawa did Kirby Canvas Curse, and Koji Kondo is doing Twilight by HIMSELF. No more of these sh*tty ne people underneath him that fu*ked up the Mario Parties or Golf and such (for the record, when Yasunori Mitsude did Mario Parties 1 & 2, I thought it was some of N64's best music. I don't even want to know who did 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 because they suck ass)

Sorry for rambeling on, but the music is important to me. When the machine can play all of that music just like it sounded years ago, and not in some raped form, it makes me feel like the machine is carrying with it a small part of the soul of that era. NES, SNES, N64, and Gamecube have all felt vastly different in terms of style, and I feel like the DS has a little of each of them in it which is why it's not my favorite gaming console ever, period. I'm just glad they preserved it so well this time around, unlike GBA's misfortune of not having a sound chip. I fear the Final Fantasy ports are going to get it up the ass. I was hoping they would come to DS so the sound would be better than the originals, but now it's going to be hard as hell just to get it passable. Sad.

Okay, I feel better now.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 PM   #2088
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Never fear... FF3DS to the rescue (Square needs to hop off the stupid bandwagon with their titles quick though... christ. FF3D...s. ).

My bet is that the rev has built in emulation to the hardware, so it should be the exact same sound comming from the speakers as was included with the original game. I just hope, on some, they increase the channel support to at least 5.1. I'm bored with my NES games sounding like crap in 5.1, and i'd be terrified to hear them in 7.1 >_<.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:57 AM   #2089
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Well, here's what I hear. The hardware comes bundled with the emulators built into the hardware, or merged with the roms you download. But, they talked about offering enhanced versions of classics. You know, imagine SMB3 with hand-drawn animation and such, but with the sound reprocessed in 7.1 (which Revolution supports) and with the samples running at higher frequences with audio filters enabled. It'd be SNES music....live. I'm looking forward to these classic updates almost as much as the new Revolution software itself.

Star Tropics in 3D, DKC...but with the real time render models this time....damn. Even Dr. Mario would look good with a polygonal bottle up there. SMB3 with handdrawn sprites, or 3D renders, but with the original physics (like the New SMB has). That would be freaky as hell. And of course they could all come packaged with the original versions for historical value and for those that can't adjust to the changes.

Goddamn Nintendo, you're going to take all my money. Geez.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:28 PM   #2090
Super Moderator

I have sad news. I won't be able to buy Mario Kart DS right away. I just bought these two items.

New Motherboard

New Processor

I couldn't help it. I want dual core so badly.
愛 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 04:19 PM   #2091
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Booooooo.

Oh well, you're just going to get your ass even kicked harder then when you do get online. Guess we'll need to possibly delay the tournament then.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:46 PM   #2092
Super Moderator

That's not necessary. You can have the tournament without me. It's sad that I can't participate, but that's just the way things go. I wanna be able to play Quake 4 on the highest setting and get over 150fps. That's just the way I wanna roll.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:55 PM   #2093
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

*tosses a koopa shell at Ai* :-p.

and :-p on AGP.

Anyway, yeah. Fun times...
Old 10-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #2094
Super Moderator

I'd go for PCI-Express, but...my GeForce 6800GT is AGP, and I'm not f'n paying another $500 for a PCI-Express GeForce 7800. This is expensive enough as it is.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:08 AM   #2095
Peanut
Second Gear

Quake 4 sucks.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #2096
Kid Icarus
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by 高橋愛
I'd go for PCI-Express, but...my GeForce 6800GT is AGP, and I'm not f'n paying another $500 for a PCI-Express GeForce 7800. This is expensive enough as it is.
Heh, good point. I hate buying computer parts. Your processor's just a lil under what i'm paying for the mobo/processor/vid card all together >_>.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:26 PM   #2097
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

I may build a PC in time, because my current one is in shambles, but I got priorities. First comes my DS games this Christmas (and what a lot there are), then comes my Xbox 360, then comes Mario Strikers and Shadow the Hedgehog (f*ck Riders), and then next February, Metrod Hunters....then PC stuff.

Dosen't matter that much anyway as I don't do PC gaming and the stuff I do use is low overhead. Photoshop, music editing, video editing ect. I have a Gig of Ram as well, so meh.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:33 PM   #2098
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the best Nintendo commercial ever. Curtosy of Nintendo of Canada...

http://n-next.com/mouse.mov

Holy sh*t
Old 10-23-2005, 04:46 PM   #2099
Cerpin Taxt
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanut
Quake 4 sucks.
That it does, my lad. That it does.
Cerpin Taxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #2100
Peanut
Second Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdMarioBro
Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present the best Nintendo commercial ever. Curtosy of Nintendo of Canada...

http://n-next.com/mouse.mov

Holy sh*t
HAHAHA! That's hilarious. Good stuff, Nintendo!
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote