The Technodrome Forums

Go Back   The Technodrome Forums > General Forums > General Discussion > Video Games

Notices

Old 07-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How do you feel about JRPGs?

JRPGs seem to be quite popular. Everyone who is into video games has heard and/or played Pokémon or Final Fantasy at some point in their lives. And then there's also other notorious ones that have received critical acclaim such as most Mario RPGs, Chrono Trigger, Suikoden and Golden Sun.

My experience with JRPGs is rather limited compared to many others out there, which some might find odd considering I'm an anime fan and anime fans usually LOVE JRPGs. The only Final Fantasy game I've played was X and never finished it. I got bored in the first Golden Sun game as well. Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga was fun, though. Pokémon is fun as well in general.

The thing about JRPGs to me is grinding. The most boring part of pokémon games are the earliest part of games until the 2nd gym or so when you have about 10-15 Pokémon only and gotta level them up in several CPU battles for them to reach level 10-15 so that you don't get creamed in Gym battles.

FFX didn't require much grinding iirc though. Usually it never took me more than one or two tries to put an end to a boss.

But it's not just grinding since not every JRPGs requires much of that. What I really don't like is how it's turn based and you don't do all the cool stuff. You just give orders to your party and then they do a cool and/or flashy move. And it's annoying as hell when you gotta go somewhere or go back a bit and keep getting into battles with random enemies every 5-6 seconds. And escaping isn't always an option. I guess I'd rather, you know, actual do cool moves myself then just sit back and order the characters to do them.

Thoughts?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Shark_Blade
Emperor

Persona 5

Persona 4

Final Fantasy IX

Chrono Trigger

Kingdom Hearts 2

Amazing JRPGs of all time tbh.
Shark_Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:52 AM   #3
CyberCubed
Overlord

I don't really play them much, outside of some Nintendo ones like Pokemon, the Mario RPG's, Fire Emblem, etc.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 05:59 AM   #4
TurtleTitan97
Space Cowboy

I like them. Favorite ones at the moment are Final Fantasy 7 and 8.

TurtleTitan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
DestronMirage22
Yukipedia

In my opinion the games in the Mother/Earthbound series are some of the greatest of all time.
Particularly the 1st one on Famicom/NES.
DestronMirage22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
Wesley
Mad Scientist

I'm not a big JRPG fan, but I've liked some such as Skies of Arcadia (one of my favourite games ever), Tales of the Abyss, Golden Sun, Pokémon, Phantasy Star IV and Paper Mario.

Last edited by Wesley; 07-24-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Cure
Y'all need Jesus

RPG's are my ****, W or J.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:01 AM   #8
sdp
-

At one point in my life they were my fav. genre along with aniem, I got into RPGs late into the SNES' life and envied Playstation jRPGs. It didn't stop me from enjoying Quest 64 and any Gameboy RPG I could lay my hands on. When I got my PS2 the first thing I did was buy all those "greatest hits" version of the RPGs I had wanted to play forever.

I still love all the jRPGs I played as a kid and have fond memories but I just don't have the patience to play any new jrpgs anymore. Too much dedication and mostly time which I sadly don't have, if I'm playing a jRPG it's most likely one I've already played.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #9
CyberCubed
Overlord

The repetitive gameplay takes me out of RPG's constantly. The fact that most of them take 40-60+ hours to complete even without doing all sidequests or whatever also takes me out of them. I used to like RPG's as a kid/teen until I realized that I was essentially doing the same thing over and over again with mostly repetitive gameplay. After a while I realized I was only playing to see how the story would turn out, and that was it.
CyberCubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
Wesley
Mad Scientist

Couldn't get into Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG or Final Fantasy IV.

I don't mind grinding that much. I actually prefer turn-based combat over real-time fights, as I can take my time making decisions. The main thing I don't like about them are confusing/annoying dungeons (the ones later on in Final Fantasy II, for example).

I used to like tactical JRPGs such as Shining Force and Yugioh Falsebound Kingdom as a teenager, but lost interest in them a few years ago. Thought they were too slow paced when I replayed them as an adult.
Wesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:16 AM   #11
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I have a habit of starting them and enjoying them immensely, but never finishing them.

The ones I've dabbled in over the last few years are Project X-Zone, Radiant Historia, the NDS version of Chrono Trigger, Code of Princess, and Super Robot Taisen OG: Endless Frontier. I really like ATLUS' production values in particular, but I don't have much time for gaming anymore. I haven't even finished Pokemon Sun.

The only JRPG I remember completing was Pokemon Sapphire back in middle school, and that was over a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote